cambridgeshire canary

10 years ago today we played harry Kane against Luton

It's fair to say that if you'd told me he would win the Premier League and World Cup golden boot awards, I'd have laughed.

Although I did feel there was a decent player in there at the time, albeit you could tell he was very short on confidence and feeling out of his depth to be starting in the first team for us.

I am dubious nowadays when people are very keen to write off new signing pretty quickly, not just Kane, but players like Vrancic or Stiepermann who were viewed as rubbish but turned out to be key players for us. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

It's fair to say that if you'd told me he would win the Premier League and World Cup golden boot awards, I'd have laughed.

Although I did feel there was a decent player in there at the time, albeit you could tell he was very short on confidence and feeling out of his depth to be starting in the first team for us.

I am dubious nowadays when people are very keen to write off new signing pretty quickly, not just Kane, but players like Vrancic or Stiepermann who were viewed as rubbish but turned out to be key players for us. 

Absolutely this.

People seem hellbent on making their minds up after five minutes rather than waiting and seeing.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 2

Still, how many Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League and Europa League winner's medals does he have?

• Haha 1

Kane only played three games for City in an injury interupted spell. It was Spurs who recalled him in what was to be a season long loan.

All I remember is him messing up a one-on-one (against Man. City) a game we went on to lose. It was that moment that caused many of us to doubt his ability I suspect.

Edited by BroadstairsR

So, even 10 years ago people were making snap judgements, writing off players after 2 hours of Premier League football. Beyond ridiculous (and obviously didn't see him score two and assist one in an hour in his only Under 21 Premier League match).

12 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

So, even 10 years ago people were making snap judgements, writing off players after 2 hours of Premier League football. Beyond ridiculous (and obviously didn't see him score two and assist one in an hour in his only Under 21 Premier League match).

plus ca change....

7 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Having watched him play for us in the flesh, I never thought he'd get anywhere close to the level he has achieved.

Absolutely this, and at another/bigger club could have won plenty. His rapid rise in ability and physique since then was incredible. He looked like an absolute donkey for us!

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Kane only played three games for City in an injury interupted spell. It was Spurs who recalled him in what was to be a season long loan.

All I remember is him messing up a one-on-one (against Man. City) a game we went on to lose. It was that moment that caused many of us to doubt his ability I suspect.

Was the one and one he missed not against West ham?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Makes you wonder about Gilmour, really.

The lad needed a season in the championship or up in Scotland. Clear as day he was too raw for the prem and still is now though there’s clearly a talented player there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Clear as day he was too raw for the prem and still is now though there’s clearly a talented player there.

I guess the biggest difference with Kane is that Spurs supported him throughout his formative years.  Gilmour, already been a victim of the chopping and changing around that we see at Chelsea.

• Like 1

I was there. Took my then 5-year old son to his first ever Norwich game. Thought it would be nice to start with an easy win...

• Haha 1