Remember this guy? I assumed he'd be mid-30s but he's actually only 31 and has just come back to the UK after being released by his Turkish club.

Did very well in Turkey initially which earned him a move to Fenerbache, but was cast aside without playing for them when a new manager came in and didn't fancy him.

Maybe worth a punt?

Edited by canarydan23

Saw a LinkedIn post from him saying as much… I don’t think he’s really what’s needed tbh. Could see him going to a bottom half champs side trying to avoid relegation or maybe Ipswich to be that bit of experience to keep them in promotion contention 

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Saw a LinkedIn post from him saying as much… I don’t think he’s really what’s needed tbh. Could see him going to a bottom half champs side trying to avoid relegation or maybe Ipswich to be that bit of experience to keep them in promotion contention 

I'll be honest, the LinkedIn thing is where I saw it too.

Very sad tale of a player who seemed for stardom and to reach the very highs of football only for it to all collapse due to depression and alcoholism.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I think we need to look at giving Omo and Tomkinson more matches tbh. A holding midfielder that age with Hayden being out again and I'd say "sure, take a look at him". 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Let's not forget were 11th

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Very sad tale of a player who seemed for stardom and to reach the very highs of football only for it to all collapse due to depression and alcoholism.

And his biggest demon, Gambling.

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

And his biggest demon, Gambling.

Alcohol, Gambling and Depression. Not the recipe for success, poor chap. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Very sad tale of a player who seemed for stardom and to reach the very highs of football only for it to all collapse 

Thought you were talking about Todd Cantwell for a minute 

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I thought he'd come through all his addiction issues a while back.

In that case, well done to him.  Not easy  at all. Giving up is one thing, leaving it all behind and moving on, quite another.

Remember seeing Caulker play for England U21s at Carrow Road about 12 years ago.

Caulker and Jack Rodwell stood out as the best English players on the pitch that night and I remember thinking at the time that both would go on to be top stars. For various reasons neither of them have. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Remember seeing Caulker play for England U21s at Carrow Road about 12 years ago.

Caulker and Jack Rodwell stood out as the best English players on the pitch that night and I remember thinking at the time that both would go on to be top stars. For various reasons neither of them have. 

Wonder where Rodwell is today.. Oh he's moved to Australia and is slowly making his way through different clubs in the A league. Huh.

I don't think centre back is a priority position for us at the minute I'm afraid.

If it was (for example to free up Tomkinson for a loan) I'd be more interesting in seeing if Klopp would lend us Nat Phillips who has only played 2 league games this season or recall van den Berg who isn't getting a kick at Schalke and lend him to us. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wonder where Rodwell is today.. Oh he's moved to Australia

Who can blame him?

Being paid to kick a ball around for a few hours in the morning and then throwing some meat on the barbie.

Looks like he's got Joe Lolley and Adam Le Fondre as teammates, couple of solid Championship players there! 

Steven Caulker pub quiz fact. One of the group of rare England 1 cappers but actually in a rarer group as actually scored in that one game...not bad for a Centre Back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Remember this guy? I assumed he'd be mid-30s but he's actually only 31 and has just come back to the UK after being released by his Turkish club.

Did very well in Turkey initially which earned him a move to Fenerbache, but was cast aside without playing for them when a new manager came in and didn't fancy him.

Maybe worth a punt?

Maybe the manager wasn't gay, you said he didn't fancy him......

I have nothing against gays before anyone gets offended by my light hearted joke

20 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I have nothing against gays before anyone gets offended by my light hearted joke

Stretching the definition of joke there old boy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Stretching the definition of joke there old boy.

I'm only 30.... less of the old boy please 😉

8 hours ago, spencer 1970 said:

Steven Caulker pub quiz fact. One of the group of rare England 1 cappers but actually in a rarer group as actually scored in that one game...not bad for a Centre Back.

I think David Nugent is in that category too if memory serves... anyone got any others?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Not offended by light hearted jokes. Just don’t like totally shît ones 

• Like 2

On 05/01/2023 at 22:22, Feedthewolf said:

I think David Nugent is in that category too if memory serves... anyone got any others?

Correct, the others in that group being Spurs legend Bill Nicholson, So'tons Danny Wallace, and uber-flop Francis Jeffers, all players at the top of the pitch.