Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Sky Interview Webber

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He shouldn't criticise his own recruitment.

He should resign his position because he has failed to recruit well for 3 years. 

Then probably don't say:

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Then the criticism seems perfectly valid to me. Not least because he failed to concede that his recruitment has been poor, again.

• Haha 1

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

He does look a bit jowly, but then it is the look of someone who hasn’t been away trying to climb mountains but someone who has been stuck at a desk putting 100 per cent effort into his job as sporting director of Norwich City.🤩

Or someone who’s been at the Christmas pud & sherry! 😉

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

Or someone who’s been at the Christmas pud & sherry! 😉

You speaking from recent experience, Indy?!😍

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Then probably don't say:

I missed the word 'Just', so...

He shouldn't just criticise his own recruitment.

He should resign his position because he has failed to recruit well for 3 years. 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Might be building muscle as let's face it, climbing needs a lot of upper body strength. Distance running, on the other hand, doesn't.

IIRC, the Klitschko brothers used to gain weight in training camp before their fights as they were putting muscle on.

That bag of flab hanging from his chin was not muscle, Gunno. I get what youre saying but i was shocked at how out of shape he looks . 

39 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lets be clear here, Webber left at the end of our relegation season with two seasons of parachute payments ahead of us. Not in mid-table in the Championship.

Webber undoubtedly has us in a much worse position, with one season of parachute payments left. 

FFS. Selective quoting of facts much?

(And I’m guessing you meant “McNally left at the end of our relegation season with two seasons of parachute payments ahead of us”?)

BEFC4EE9-CE1D-45B6-BDD5-95A60ECF576A.jpeg

Edited by Nuff Said

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

FFS. Selective quoting of facts much?

It seems like everybody forgets that we had Jez Moxey in between McNally and Webber. Including Indy who referred to McNally as the "previous regime".

And that Moxey spent a lot of money on Wildschut, Pritchard and Oliviera.

Its bizarre that people forget this.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

You speaking from recent experience, Indy?!😍

Indeed! But mine is Czech beer & Stollen! 😂👍

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It seems like everybody forgets that we had Jez Moxey in between McNally and Webber. Including Indy who referred to McNally as the "previous regime".

Classic TVB. When challenged on your claim the club is in a worse state than when McNally left, you start talking about the Moxey era and his recruitment. 👀

Not to mention that you also appear to believe David Mooney is as good a footballer as Teemu.

54 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

3 goals in 9 games for David Mooney is no worse than Pukki's ratio this season.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Classic TVB. When challenged on your claim the club is in a worse state than when McNally left

The squad is certainly poorer.

And McNally didn't take out a huge loan against the parachute payments.

You sound very convinced that I'm wrong, I'm not so sure...

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Not to mention that you also appear to believe David Mooney is as good a footballer as Teemu.

Of course not, that would be ridiculous. Pukki is the only attacking player we have that is anywhere near Premier League quality, but at the minute he can't hit a cows rump with a banjo.

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

No I hadn’t forgot about Moxey and his time here was so short that Webber’s statement was aimed at McNally not Moxey in my view! The point made that premiership money has been wasted, overseen by McNally.

It’s irrelevant who the previous regime was the point is he’s just followed his time here exactly what he criticised!

Just now, Indy said:

No I hadn’t forgot about Moxey and his time here was so short that Webber’s statement was aimed at McNally not Moxey in my view! The point made that premiership money has been wasted, overseen by McNally.

It’s irrelevant who the previous regime was the point is he’s just followed his time here exactly what he criticised!

I also perceived it to be this, a swipe at McNally.

In my opinion Webber has left us in a worse place. Nuff Said doesn't agree.

The sh*t Naismith contract was wholly mitigated (and then some) by the numerous saleable playing assets we had, some of whom Webber duly sold. Now I struggle to see who we could get £5m for.

15 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Definitely put on timber. I can't believe any director of any business would publicly admit they still believed in a manager but got rid because of some shouting. Whilst it was 100% the right decision if you're actually admit you were bullied into it that's quite weak leadership. 

So you want the management to use their own judgement, and you want them to listen to the fans at the same time? But if the fans don't agree with the leadership and the leadership defers to your strongly expressed will that's undermining team performance, the leadership's wrong and the leadership should ignore you? I thought that's what the complaints about a disconnect were about?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The sh*t Naismith contract was wholly mitigated (and then some) by the numerous saleable playing assets we had, some of whom Webber duly sold. Now I struggle to see who we could get £5m for.

I’m not sure worse, but certainly not any massive improvement to the big 5 year established premiership team! We’re pretty much back to square 1, ageing players who aren’t playing well, squad players bought in for millions who we can’t sell, some out on loan and a squad with a lot of senior players coming to the end of their contracts. We’re at a point where a full reset might be best for all including an ownership change, giving us the best chance for the club to make a step forwards?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

That bag of flab hanging from his chin was not muscle, Gunno. I get what youre saying but i was shocked at how out of shape he looks . 

I'd guess he's on the steroids, looking for quicker muscle growth and eating to get it going - but it's a big guess. Had a similar discussion at our footy team's Christmas drinkies - a few suggested I should go on the gear and bulk up (roids and creatine) as I can go box-to-box and they thought it might be worth changing me over from a full-back/wing-back to an all-action midfielder.

Apart from the fact I'm not good in possession, I refuse to touch that sorta stuff. All I'll use are vitamin sprays, liquid iron supplements and turmeric shots.

13 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd guess he's on the steroids, looking for quicker muscle growth and eating to get it going - but it's a big guess. Had a similar discussion at our footy team's Christmas drinkies - a few suggested I should go on the gear and bulk up (roids and creatine) as I can go box-to-box and they thought it might be worth changing me over from a full-back/wing-back to an all-action midfielder.

Apart from the fact I'm not good in possession, I refuse to touch that sorta stuff. All I'll use are vitamin sprays, liquid iron supplements and turmeric shots.

I used to do a bit of creatine when I played football in my early 20s, did improve my performance. Although half the dose that it suggested on the packaging.

But I also refused to ever join people in juicing, not least because I don't actually like the aesthetic / balloon face but also because I knew somebody who got roid rage after a few drinks and didn't want to be one of those idiots. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I missed the word 'Just', so...

He shouldn't just criticise his own recruitment.

We don't know he's failed to recruit well because fans have failed to create an environment that gets the best out of players.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I will concede there might be a case to be made that we’re worse off than when McNally left, but it’s pretty flimsy IMHO.

*Especially* when you look at our competition. Teams who have spent a few years or more in the PL look stronger than ever and there just aren’t the poorly managed, basket-case clubs any more with owners who think they can throw a load of money at them for a year or two and buy success, or those suffering the hangover from trying this. We can’t expect a competitive advantage just from doing the right things with a bit more of an eye to the long-term any more (although I’m not sure McNally had that much of an eye on the long-term, exhibits A and B being the state of Colney and Naismith’s contract).

20 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We don't know he's failed to recruit well because fans have failed to create an environment that gets the best out of players.

🤣No fans in the stadium , that's the way forward. Remember that LYB .

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Teams who have spent a few years or more in the PL look stronger than ever and there just aren’t the poorly managed, basket-case clubs any more with owners who think they can throw a load of money at them for a year or two and buy success, or those suffering the hangover from trying this. We can’t expect a competitive advantage just from doing the right things with a bit more of an eye to the long-term any more.

I kind of agree with this. As time goes by, more clubs are raising the levels of their coaching and management, most clubs have more money than us too.

Before, it was like if we do everything well on and off the pitch, we could do well in the league, but now it feels like if we do everything at it's utmost and to the highest of standards, it isn't going to be enough, now that other clubs are raising their game too.  This league is getting harder and harder to compete in - you've only got to look at the table to see how many clubs are in the shout for the play offs.

All we can hope for is a magician of a coach who can get us playing way above the sum of our parts......of course we had that, but threw it away......so we need to find another.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

I will concede there might be a case to be made that we’re worse off than when McNally left, but it’s pretty flimsy IMHO.

*Especially* when you look at our competition. Teams who have spent a few years or more in the PL look stronger than ever and there just aren’t the poorly managed, basket-case clubs any more with owners who think they can throw a load of money at them for a year or two and buy success, or those suffering the hangover from trying this. We can’t expect a competitive advantage just from doing the right things with a bit more of an eye to the long-term any more (although I’m not sure McNally had that much of an eye on the long-term, exhibits A and B being the state of Colney and Naismith’s contract).

@Nuff Said Please don't re-invent history and read the final set of accounts published before McNally's departure. Detailed plans for Colney's expansion and refurb were included in McNally's CEO report.  Ward had just completed the strategy for the improvements at Colney and handed them over to McNally. McNally unfortunately drunkenly resigned on Twitter before he could implement them. Ward shared the strategy with her hubby who used this information in his interview with Smith & Jones later the following year, which probably secured the SD role. True Webber delivered the plan, but the plan was not entirely his to begin with. Probably the only thing at Colney not featuring in Ward / McNally's strategic plan for Colney was the SoccerBot and we know how sensational that has been in improving our on field performance!

Also as TvB has said Naismith's contract was essentially covered by saleable assets within the team. Now we have to use every last penny we have to repay loans taken out against future parachute payments because due to rundown of contracts there is **** all value in the current squad. 

Not only is Webber unable to manage playing squad budgets, tells untruths about what he has achieved, but he has created the biggest disconnect between club and supporters since the last days of Chase. There is no way back for him except up a mountain. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

@Nuff Said Please don't re-invent history and read the final set of accounts published before McNally's departure. Detailed plans for Colney's expansion and refurb were included in McNally's CEO report.  Ward had just completed the strategy for the improvements at Colney and handed them over to McNally. McNally unfortunately drunkenly resigned on Twitter before he could implement them. Ward shared the strategy with her hubby who used this information in his interview with Smith & Jones later the following year, which probably secured the SD role. True Webber delivered the plan, but the plan was not entirely his to begin with. Probably the only thing at Colney not featuring in Ward / McNally's strategic plan for Colney was the SoccerBot and we know how sensational that has been in improving our on field performance!

Also as TvB has said Naismith's contract was essentially covered by saleable assets within the team. Now we have to use every last penny we have to repay loans taken out against future parachute payments because due to rundown of contracts there is **** all value in the current squad. 

Not only is Webber unable to manage playing squad budgets, tells untruths about what he has achieved, but he has created the biggest disconnect between club and supporters since the last days of Chase. There is no way back for him except up a mountain. 

Huge assumption.

This sort of conclusion shouldn't be drawn until the end of the season. Sargent could end up on in or around 20 goals for the season. We could get promoted. Sara has started to perform. The next head coach could easily galvanise the fanbase if it's the right appointment.

There is a painful desperation from some to draw conclusions as early as possible, if it allows the opportunity to lay into Webber.

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Huge assumption.

This sort of conclusion shouldn't be drawn until the end of the season. Sargent could end up on in or around 20 goals for the season. We could get promoted. Sara has started to perform. The next head coach could easily galvanise the fanbase if it's the right appointment.

There is a painful desperation from some to draw conclusions as early as possible, if it allows the opportunity to lay into Webber.

"Sargent could". Based on last night's non-appearance that seems remote, but yes I respect your POV and he may still come good under the galvanising impact of a new manager with a plan.  This new manager has to make a decision though - is it Pukki alone up front or the combination of Sargent & Idah with Pukki reverting to a number 10. If he continues with a 4-3-3 and Sargent out wide, Sargent's value will continue to drop like a stone.

But with the best will in the world, because he is not an English player his value as an EFL striker is well below what we paid for him as a foreign EPL striker, he's only going to raise at best £2-3m in either of the next two windows (as we are not going to get promoted, doubt we'll make the play-offs), even if he regains his scoring touch. If Sargent is the answer, what is being delivered on the pitch I fear will be very poor indeed.

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

"Sargent could". Based on last night's non-appearance that seems remote, but yes I respect your POV and he may still come good under the galvanising impact of a new manager with a plan.  This new manager has to make a decision though - is it Pukki alone up front or the combination of Sargent & Idah with Pukki reverting to a number 10. If he continues with a 4-3-3 and Sargent out wide, Sargent's value will continue to drop like a stone.

But with the best will in the world, because he is not an English player his value as an EFL striker is well below what we paid for him as a foreign EPL striker, he's only going to raise at best £2-3m in either of the next two windows (as we are not going to get promoted, doubt we'll make the play-offs), even if he regains his scoring touch. If Sargent is the answer, what is being delivered on the pitch I fear will be very poor indeed.

Sargent has maintained a good amount of reputation on the continent, according to journalists. As a 22 year old USA international, should he end up with 20 goals this season (of course, an assumption for purposes of this discussion) the fact he's not English won't stop him instantly becoming a £12 million + player. That's just one example of a player, of course.

My underlying point is "doubt we'll make the play-offs" etc is all based on what we've seen to date. But plenty said exactly the same when Alex Neil came in.

Even more said it after Farke's first season. Then even several games into his second season. Another set of fans said it at the start of our title winning season.

Of course, I'm not saying we will get promoted and it'll all work out. But the right Head Coach could make a huge difference.

29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I kind of agree with this. As time goes by, more clubs are raising the levels of their coaching and management, most clubs have more money than us too.

No they don't. Most Premier league clubs have more money than us but we have more than most teams in the Championship and the rest of the football league, even without parachute payments.

39 minutes ago, Mengo said:

🤣No fans in the stadium , that's the way forward. Remember that LYB .

Fans not turning up would definitely be better than turning up sitting there quietly brooding looking for things to criticise instead of things to build on.

You think Webber should resign because you blame him for his mistakes, but why should he accept responsibility for his mistakes if the fans who go to games won't accept responsibility for failing to back the club unconditionally and will it to succeed? The fans who turn up claim to be part of the club, but they sound more like onlookers more wrapped up in their own opinions about administration than they are the games in front of them. Although less so if we happen to not have a manager...

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

15 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Personally I'm pretty confident that Sargent will come good and will benefit from playing in his true position next year, if we hold on to him. 

However, being based in Sheffield you'd have to admit that the reported £70 million spent on Brewster, McBurnie, Mousset, Robinson and Burke definitely looks like a worse "investment?"