Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Quote of the day from Smith

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Most managers say that. Win and a clean sheet. This is getting ridiculous..

Agree. 1-0 is not my favourite result but it's pretty standard from a manager. I'm fairly confident that 100-0 would be preferred by him but does anyone seriously expect him to say that? 

3 points is 3 points but I have to say I would have much preferred a bigger win - it’s always really important to improve your GD when you’re in a promotion/relegation battle (plus it’s always great to see your team win by more goals)

Edited by HazzaJet

I think we have the third best GD in the league and think 3rd in the league is probably the best we can finish. But there's always hope...

Post of the weekend from the permanently disgruntled.

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Farke said something similar once.

So did Fat Les.

Na na na, na na nah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He says that because it his job.

Its not a job for us. Its supposed to be a pleasure. And many of us do not mind scraping out a 1-0 now and again and the odd defeat or draw if the football is pleasureable. But it really isn't at the moment is it.

And its fine to respond if you feel different. Different strokes. But for me, the means is more important than the end. And I believe some of the players look less than delighted playing this system and tactic.

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But for me, the means is more important than the end. And I believe some of the players look less than delighted playing this system and tactic.

Agree with this.  The biggest difference between football under Smith and Farke (in this league) is that with Farke the watch word was "patience" and  with Smith, a lack of patience.  Patience in the sense  of looking after the ball.

Years ago in the 80's Dave Stringer introduced us to a patient brand of football that saw us look after the ball better than most teams and it developed into something special.  Farke did the same - and special it was (at this level). It is a proven way to play - Swansea did it a few years ago "Swansalona" - and any team that develops that philosophy usually does well.

We don't seem to have that anymore and not many managers are capable of instilling it. 1-0 away is always a good result, but the manner of it wasn't convincing at all and although we won, it just left you with the feeling that it was more the fact that Swansea were poor than we were good. Not a great feeling after a match and that has happened in nearly every match this season.

If we win every single game 1-0 for the remainder of the season playing exactly the same way it will be fantastic.

I expect the business end of the season will come that bit sooner this, so it's vital we keep this new found solidity. 

It was actually a breath of fresh air to restrict an attacking side to very few chances. We parked the bus, good to see.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we win every single game 1-0 for the remainder of the season playing exactly the same way it will be fantastic.

I expect the business end of the season will come that bit sooner this, so it's vital we keep this new found solidity. 

It was actually a breath of fresh air to restrict an attacking side to very few chances. We parked the bus, good to see.

Yes. We need to offer more at home but away from home that was a battling, hard working performance that you need in this league. We had plenty of them under Farke, too.

11 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

One nil is my favourite result, sums him up

Let's not let the truth get in the way of a bit of unjustified DS bashing, he said "I love one nils, it shows character".

Your reaction sums you up.

There is absolutely nothing in this reaction to the game that could be criticised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Let's not let the truth get in the way of a bit of unjustified DS bashing, he said "I love one nils, it shows character".

Your reaction sums you up.

There is absolutely nothing in this reaction to the game that could be criticised.

For me there is. I would rather it wasn't him giving the post match summary. Its my own feelings about him. I have nothing but good wishes for him and his family but I would like it to be somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For me there is. I would rather it wasn't him giving the post match summary. Its my own feelings about him. I have nothing but good wishes for him and his family but I would like it to be somewhere else.

Thankfully the club doesn't make decisions based on some weird desire for fans to be emotionally involved with our manager.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Thankfully the club doesn't make decisions based on some weird desire for fans to be emotionally involved with our manager.

Yeah, they just hire some loser on the cheap

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Not an unexpected reply. I get emotional at watching City. I sing and clap and sigh and shrug. I take it you analyse instead.

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not an unexpected reply. I get emotional at watching City. I sing and clap and sigh and shrug. I take it you analyse instead.

We all do both, don’t we?  Otherwise what’s the point of a message board such as this?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We all do both, don’t we?  Otherwise what’s the point of a message board such as this?

At the game there is no time for analysing. That comes later after the adrenaline rush of the actual game and the joy of being among City supporters.

Watching on TV or a stream is good but detached and the emotion is only of watching. The being part of the organicvgame is missing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

At the game there is no time for analysing. That comes later after the adrenaline rush of the actual game and the joy of being among City supporters.

Watching on TV or a stream is good but detached and the emotion is only of watching. The being part of the organicvgame is missing.

Spot on Pops. 

The trouble is, once the manager loses sentiment, the crowd will pick up on anything and everything to have a go at him for. 

I want Dean Smith out but it's nothing against him as a person, in fact quite the opposite, as a human being, he comes across well and genuine. A bit like Southgate and England.

The trouble is, a bit like Manchester United managers, they are following after a manager who produced some of the best football the club has ever seen (and that is not an overstatement). 

However, keep the criticism to the football on the pitch, not cherry picking every single word and jumping down his throat. 

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Oh, definitely - I’ll always go to a game if I realistically can; the main constraint being time and ££ as I have to pay for me and my son, so just come to home games (mostly) from Surrey…which is the entire day gone.

20 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh, definitely - I’ll always go to a game if I realistically can; the main constraint being time and ££ as I have to pay for me and my son, so just come to home games (mostly) from Surrey…which is the entire day gone.

We've done Cardiff and Swansea and there is Brizzle to come. We were hoping for a home game at some time and a visit to the roots so to speak but its looking unlikely. If we don't go up we may well have Argyle next season. and to be honest by the time you get to Brizzle, Brum and Coventry aren't a world away. If you are out all day its makes little difference.

Amazed at Swansea yesterday. £1.50 for unleaded and just over £9 for 3 pints of Guinness.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I agree. I go to every home game and some away so your analysis remark is a little wrong 🙃