Sign in to follow this  
Herman

Podcasts and Other Sounds.

I have been getting bored of radio these last few years and started delving into podcasts. Here's a small list of recommendations.

Politics:

The Rest Is Politics. Rory Stewart and Alistair Campbell talk politics. A popular one on here and worth a listen. Never dry or boring.

The Coming Storm. Brilliant documentary about the US, Clintons,Trump, conspiracies, 4Chan etc. New series just started.

Disaster Trolls. An investigation by Marianna Spring into people who target victims.

Crime:

Fairy Meadow. An investigation into a disappearance.  A sad story, more about the brother of the victim and his guilt.

The Boy In The Woods. Another investigation into a disappearance. Looks deeply into accusations and prejudices.

Music:

Night Tracks/Unclassified. Radio 3 mellow, classical and ambient sounds.

Ghost Stories:

The Battersea Poltergeist, The Witch Farm and Uncanny. Short series and individual episodes of "real" hauntings.

Comedy:

Mark Steel's In Town. Mark goes around small towns and does a short stand-up about the local area.

Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar. Alexei rants for half an hour about stuff. Some genuine laugh out loud moments.

Edited by Herman
  • Thanks 4

Mainly listen to the less serious ones but have delved into the likes of Rest is Politics, Stephen Bartlett, the odd Joe Rogan ep etc.

Favourite one is Have a Word with Adam Rowe and Dan Nightingale. Has me in stitches every week! Shagged Married Annoyed and Rob & Josh parenting hell up there as well, my wife likes them ones as well.

As for football, I listen to Quickly Kevin which is mainly 90s nostalgia, the hard truth with Dara McAnthony. He’s a bit of a GOP fiend but pretty open and honest about what it’s like owning a club and the cohost provides a good balance. Under the Cosh a good one as well.

Jaack Mates happy hour is a good listen as well, Darren huckerby regularly mentioned as well since they’re all from Norwich and one of them is mates with him.

Plenty of others I dip in and out of as well like Hot Waters green room, fozcast, off menu, comedians playing fantasy premier league.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Herman said:

I have been getting bored of radio these last few years and started delving into podcasts. Here's a small list of recommendations.

Politics:

The Rest Is Politics. Rory Stewart and Alistair Campbell talk politics. A popular one on here and worth a listen. Never dry or boring.

The Coming Storm. Brilliant documentary about the US, Clintons,Trump, conspiracies, 4Chan etc. New series just started.

Disaster Trolls. An investigation by Marianna Spring into people who target victims.

Crime:

Fairy Meadow. An investigation into a disappearance.  A sad story, more about the brother of the victim and his guilt.

The Boy In The Woods. Another investigation into a disappearance. Looks deeply into accusations and prejudices.

Music:

Ghost Stories:

The Battersea Poltergeist, The Witch Farm and Uncanny. Short series and individual episodes of "real" hauntings.

Comedy:

Mark Steel's In Town. Mark goes around small towns and does a short stand-up about the local area.

Alexei Sayle's Imaginary Sandwich Bar. Alexei rants for half an hour about stuff. Some genuine laugh out loud moments.

Nice list and I listen to those comedy programmes plus your music ones. Sometimes I might add The Space on Scala very late at night but it's become a bit less random and more 'safe' in recent months. You do get the occasional piece though that grabs you. Night Tracks on the other hand has got better and more diverse.

Rory and Alistair are a good pairing so it just works. 

Must look up your other links. Thanks.

One, I would add for everybody is "Add to Playlist"...presented by Cerys Matthews and Jeffrey Boakye. They bring on two guests (musicians) plus have short interviews with many others - each programme presents 5 tracks only which presenters have to link. The 5 songs are dissected musically. It adds to your understanding and for me, appreciation. 

Best programme on R4? I reckon so! The 5 songs can take you from blues, jazz, pop, classical, folk ...and so on. Every Friday evenings.

How have I missed this? This is season 4.

• Like 1

I'd add the sister podcast to 'The Rest is Politics' which is 'the Rest is History.' Often some really fascinating stuff on there.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2022 at 22:00, Herman said:

Politics:

Crime:

Music:

Ghost Stories:

Comedy:

Rory Stewart is probably the only person who could have persuaded me to vote Tory. 

I saw Mark Steel in Bungay many years ago. I'm amazed that show is still going strong but he was very clever and funny. He claimed to have mastered the local accent and to demonstrate said "well darling, when we bought it it was just a scruffy barn in a field". Half the audience burst out laughing...... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Rory Stewart is probably the only person who could have persuaded me to vote Tory. 

I saw Mark Steel in Bungay many years ago. I'm amazed that show is still going strong but he was very clever and funny. He claimed to have mastered the local accent and to demonstrate said "well darling, when we bought it it was just a scruffy barn in a field". Half the audience burst out laughing...... 

I binged on them during lockdown and after. I was trying to remember the Bungay one and as soon as I saw "chicken roundabout" it came back to me. A good episode.👍

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b018xs8f

• Thanks 1

The Adam Buxton podcast is my favourite. He has a wide variety of guests and is a great host.

The News Agents is best (imo) for news.

Kermode and Mayo's Take is best (imo) for film reviews.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

The Adam Buxton podcast is my favourite. He has a wide variety of guests and is a great host.

The News Agents is best (imo) for news.

Kermode and Mayo's Take is best (imo) for film reviews.

Kermode and Mayo is definitely up there. 👍 They are free from the BBC constraints too which allows a bit of freer expression. Especially from Kermode. 

The Bomb is really interesting. Series 1 on the development of nuclear weapons and Series 2 on how the secrets were leaked to Russia.

A good football podcast is Sacked in the Morning, a variety of mostly managers/refs.

The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry is good for knock-about popular science.

Apples

• Thanks 1

When do you all listen to podcasts? I used to do a lot of driving, so listened to a few but I just don’t find the right environment any more. Plus if I am in the car for any length of time now I don’t stray much beyond 6 Music or Radio 4 (where a few of the suggestions above seem to have come from). God bless the BBC and protect it from the Tories!

My absolute favourite when I did find time was Project Moonbase, “music to surprise, delight and occasionally horrify you”, but sadly defunct as one of the presenters became seriously ill. 

Edited by Nuff Said

46 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

When do you all listen to podcasts? I used to do a lot of driving, so listened to a few but I just don’t find the right environment any more. Plus if I am in the car for any length of time now I don’t stray much beyond 6 Music or Radio 4 (where a few of the suggestions above seem to have come from). God bless the BBC and protect it from the Tories!

My absolute favourite when I did find time was Project Moonbase, “music to surprise, delight and occasionally horrify you”, but sadly defunct as one of the presenters became seriously ill. 

Work... Working night shifts, alone, calls for podcasts or insanity 🤣

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I'm doing two days a week in our offices so drive one day and train another which gives a decent chunk of time. Plus if I ever need to do some 'busy work' where I need to get my head down then podcasts are a good option.

• Like 1

I love a true crime podcast.

Recommended in no particular order:

Down the Hill

Up and vanished

Atlanta monster

Someone knows something

Serial (season 1 only)

Teachers pet

The night driver

Edited by kick it off

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

I love a true crime podcast.

Recommended in no particular order:

Down the Hill

Up and vanished

Atlanta monster

Someone knows something

Serial (season 1 only)

Teachers pet

The night driver

You may like Bible John on Sounds. It's about a serial killer in Glasgow, late 60s. It gives the victims a voice as well as investigating the crimes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herman said:

You may like Bible John on Sounds. It's about a serial killer in Glasgow, late 60s. It gives the victims a voice as well as investigating the crimes.

Actually put that on my list pretty recently

• Like 1

Also recommend "stuff you should know". Engaging hosts telling the stories of the science behind how things work,  some mysteries and origins of various things. Some of them are surprisingly interesting such as the hour long feature on the origins of cornflakes.

Recommend the Hinterkaifack (spelling?) Murders, the Dylatov pass incident, kellog brothers wacky world of health as episodes to get started with.

Edited by kick it off

19 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Great thread. Apart from BBC Sounds, what other platforms are these available on?

Ps. There's also a Mark Steel one about Kings Lynn, which is also very funny.

I'm using Google Podcasts on my phone. Works well and has a lot of the stuff recommended. I was on Acast, they shut down, then reopened when I found a new provider. I took it personally.😉

• Like 1

I've caught up with what I usually listen to so I thought I'd try some of the suggestions and so far, so good.

Add To Playlist is enjoyable. Good interviews and interesting musical choices. Some of the terminology goes over my non-musician head but I can follow along with most of it.

The Rest Is History is good too. A massive amount of episodes available so I will have to be selective, but I like what I have chosen so far. Like the other, it is not dry and the episodes nip by.

The Bomb is addictive. I didn't think I would enjoy it or understand the science but I have piled through the episodes. Good history and a very good narrator help lead you along.

More to come.👍

A couple of newer ones worth checking out.

Shock and War.This is a great explainer of the Iraq War, how we got there and how it ended up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001k0ch

If you like the Rest Is History then Dan Snow's History Hit is worth checking out too. Short episodes of historical stories from all eras.

Song exploder.

Guy interviews musicians about one of their songs,. How they made it. Then plays the song at the end. They're pretty short. About 20 mins but I found them interesting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Song_Exploder_episodes

It now has a couple of series on Netflix. The REM (losing my religion) and Nine Inch Nails (hurt) ones I liked.

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2023 at 18:25, Van wink said:

Scrum V……….good thread by the way

Whatever happened to this lad?😉

Bumping this old thread to tell you that the 2nd series of Jon Ronson's Things Fell Apart has just started. Stories that help explain the culture war nonsenses. The first episode is a massive WTF!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001v3dw

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Whatever happened to this lad?😉

Bumping this old thread to tell you that the 2nd series of Jon Ronson's Things Fell Apart has just started. Stories that help explain the culture war nonsenses. The first episode is a massive WTF!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001v3dw

He amended and rearranged his name to @Nik Vawn so this may reach him?

Thanks for the link too. Not seen it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

He amended and rearranged his name to @Nik Vawn so this may reach him?

Thanks for the link too. Not seen it.

It's a very interesting series. Series 1, episode 3, about Tammy Faye Bakker is a superb piece of radio.

On 15/11/2022 at 10:48, king canary said:

I'd add the sister podcast to 'The Rest is Politics' which is 'the Rest is History.' Often some really fascinating stuff on there.

I thought their JFK series was poor. Total disdain for some of the other questions around his murder, yet no questions at all in the official line. It's not tin-foil hat stuff to think Lee Harvey Oswald didn't act alone.

TRIP, Newsagents, Lex Fridman, Coming Storm, Sweet Bobby, S Town. There's so many its impossible to get to them all.

I listen whilst walking the dog. Best part of my day.

• Like 1