A Load of Squit

*** The Official 2022 World Cup Thread ***

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

I dont think "castigation" would be an issue for the cricket side even when/if they do lose, they have a really tight group which I suspect is totally insulated psychologically from any outside influences. I saw a list of teams the other day that England have actually beaten in big tournaments, not many top teams amongst them, maybe with this squad its more a question of psychology than ability, it seems to me they have all the quality they need, its more about the final ingredient which 100% belief that you will win.

Instilling belief. Over to you Sarina Wiegman. Of course it would never happen though.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.8e73b7b5f2ec249b1a798672eff5eb09.jpeg

"Hey Hank where the hell did this soccer ball come from?"...."No idea Abe. I was climbing down the module ladder on Saturday night. I glanced over my right shoulder, and there it was.... just sat there in a small moon crater?".....

1st goal actually isn’t - I’d suggest Peter Walton was a Ref of the same standard as Jasper Dean and Clatters - f. Useless!

6 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

1st goal actually isn’t - I’d suggest Peter Walton was a Ref of the same standard as Jasper Dean and Clatters - f. Useless!

The keeper challenged for the ball and made no contact and impeded Alvarez. How is that not a foul?

Is anyone saying if it had happened to us, we wouldn't be screaming for a sending off as well?

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

May be an image of text that says "çWC Wins since 2006 Tunisia Panama Colombia Sweden Slovenia Paraguay Trinidad Ecuador Iran አA Wales Senegal"

Mmm. These are the teams England have beaten in World Cups since 2006.

Could you include teams we have beaten but stupid ref/officials decisions have robbed us?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Could you include teams we have beaten but stupid ref/officials decisions have robbed us?

Since 2006? None. 

The only major decision to go against us in a World Cup since then was Lampard's goal against Germany, and whilst that would've levelled the game at 2-2 just before half time, we were comfortably second best in that match and would've been unlikely to win it anyway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

France argentina final? 🤢

With the draw as it was that was the most likely outcome. FIFA will be delighted Europe v South America.

I hope it's a better game than this one though.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The keeper challenged for the ball and made no contact and impeded Alvarez. How is that not a foul?

Is anyone saying if it had happened to us, we wouldn't be screaming for a sending off as well?

I haven't seen a clear replay but the question is whether the goalie moved to impede the Argentine player or simply stayed where he was. If the former then it was a penalty and if the latter then it wasn't. There is no requirement for players to get out of the way. That he hadn't made contact with the ball is irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Like who?

Why would I include teams we drew or lost to? If so I will name them.

Draws-Sweden, US, Algeria, Costa Rica, US

Losses-Portugal, Germany, Italy, Uruguay, Belgium, Croatia, France.

It seems to me we believe we are a top international team but certainly don't have a good record against what would be considered top teams.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I haven't seen a clear replay but the question is whether the goalie moved to impede the Argentine player or simply stayed where he was. If the former then it was a penalty and if the latter then it wasn't. There is no requirement for players to get out of the way. That he hadn't made contact with the ball is irrelevant.

He came out I assume to stop a shot but was lobbed and he made a sideways move to Alvarez. Whether that was self preservation or not, you cannot do that.

39 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Pleased that Argentina are winning, because they have the best chance of stopping the French.

France over Argentina every time for me. Despite myself I have to admit the Argies can play good football, but they are the epitome of cheating and dirty play in this tournament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nuff Said said:

France over Argentina every time for me. Despite myself I have to admit the Argies can play good football, but they are the epitome of cheating and dirty play in this tournament.

I’m the other way round, so hope Argentina thrash France if they meet up in the final. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m the other way round, so hope Argentina thrash France if they meet up in the final. 

Yep, got to love the little Argies, esp. those from Patagonia 😀

Argentina were second favourites coming into the tournament. And have been at the top of international football and produced great players for 100 years.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Argentina were second favourites coming into the tournament. And have been at the top of international football and produced great players for 100 years.

Plus their fans are amazing. I like watching domestic Argentinian football just for the pure passion. To be fair all South American fans know how to support a team. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Plus their fans are amazing. I like watching domestic Argentinian football just for the pure passion. To be fair all South American fans know how to support a team. 

Oh yes. Sweet Caroline is pretty poor to their singing.

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yep, got to love the little Argies, esp. those from Patagonia 😀

Arh

Cymraeg y Wladfa

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

• Thanks 1