Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Teemu’s first goal 👌

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Both our goals yesterday came from rather hopeful long balls forward from Aarons. In both cases they led to goals because of the work rate, determination and craftiness of Pukki. 

Some of our resident 'experts' will be along soon to whinge that "we don't have a Plan B". 

Which we don't of course, but we are extremely fortunate to still have Pukki because he is far too good to be playing in this team and/or for this coach.

10 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

The genius of Pukki’s first goal haas been totally overlooked and marking it down as ‘a howler’ totally misrepresents the superb psychological and technical skill that Pukki used.

If you watch the micro-movements carefully, having harried the initial ball in to the defender, Pukki pressures Egan and shuts down any other reasonable option with his angle of approach. 

It is worth nothing that there is ‘not much to see here’ up to this point, so Pukki is already making more effort and chasing chickens that others wouldn’t bother with. 

As the ball goes back to Davies (there is not too much wrong with it), because he has ‘ ‘shepherded’ Egan, he accelerates before Egan even makes the pass. 

Teemi then exaggerates his wide right angle into Davies, telegraphing him that he has to open out to the right side of the field. He makes quite an ‘acty’ point of this to catch Davies’ eye. 

Still nothing is obviously critical. Pukki is clever though, because he has caught Davies’ eye the goalkeeper (rightly in the circumstances!) pushes his first touch further away to the right and a little squarer.

Pukki is then absolute genius on two counts. He fractionally ‘brake tests’ to ensure that Davies does believe he can take the long kick successfully, then - and this takes real top level striking quality - he does not ‘throw himself’ at the ball or make a typical challenge or tackle. 

If you look closely, he retains his balance, body shape and form and stretches out his right leg whilst - absolutely crucially - offering what I would call ‘a soft ankle’ so that any ricochet ‘cushions into it’ (like dampeners) instead of coming off hard as a ball typically would in a classic tackle. 

I appreciate that this will be too much detail for some, though for those that are interested - and before anyone rushes into talking about Teemu as anything another than a supremely gifted striker with a fantastic record-breaking quality - this is an indication of the quality of striker that we have been privileged to have watched these past few years.

Nobody in Finland would be remotely surprised of course. 

It is not ‘a howler’. I would argue that it is barely a mistake from  anyone. It is actually nuanced top level genius. Bravo Teemu 👌

Parma 

I actually pointed this out on the match thread, saying the fact the ball actually deflected into the net, but Teemu's shimmy to the right made up the keeper's mind for him & Pukki accelerated into position for the block. The timing & execution of the whole manoeuvre was superb, world class.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

it was a goal straight out of the Dean Coney's book on scoring 

He scored just one goal, which was a fortuitous one - in a league match against Aston Villa at Carrow Road on 22 April 1989 he charged down a clearance by Villa goalkeeper Nigel Spink and the ball rebounded off Coney's backside and into the goal. 

3 hours ago, CDMullins said:

You think their keepers never had a striker approach him like that before?

I've never seen anyone force a goalie into a wrong decision with such subtlety - & timing - before. The keeper didn't even realise he was in any danger, that's the beauty of it.. He knew what the goalie was doing before the goalie did. The goal itself was only one of several outcomes, but I'd have said there was at least a 50% chance of the ball ending up at Teemu's feet & thence in the back of the net.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I've never seen anyone force a goalie into a wrong decision with such subtlety - & timing - before. The keeper didn't even realise he was in any danger, that's the beauty of it.. He knew what the goalie was doing before the goalie did. The goal itself was only one of several outcomes, but I'd have said there was at least a 50% chance of the ball ending up at Teemu's feet & thence in the back of the net.

Strange, he must have chased down hundreds of passes back to the keeper in his time at Norwich, why has he saved his Jedi mind trick for now?

Edited by CDMullins
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I've never seen anyone force a goalie into a wrong decision with such subtlety - & timing - before. The keeper didn't even realise he was in any danger, that's the beauty of it.. He knew what the goalie was doing before the goalie did.

I have Rono, it was Teemu, about 3 years ago I think , God knows who against . This was no clumsy charging down, Teemu won the battle of wits. 

I don't care if he takes shoite pens..( I do Really) . When I saw Josh with the ball, I thought, makes sense, then TP took over and I became a little anxious. With good reason. Love Teemu, dah like his pens.

Edited by wcorkcanary

A further technical point if anyone is still left in any doubt that Pukki is being far cleverer here then your average striker-chasing-down-a-goalkeeper.

As stated Pukki needs a ‘dampener cushion’ to maximise the chances of a favourable ricochet, so he goes with the outside of his right ankle, with the softening effect in mind. The keeper has to make the clearance ‘cleanly’ a fraction of a second before Pukki’s secondary contact. 

If you watch the footage the natural ‘tackle’ shape would be for the left leg and left instep to slide in and block tackle, though this is too ‘hard’ a contact (it also rather risks giving a foul away on well-protected keepers) even if you succeed.

It would typically see two feet coming together (one from each player) and the ball ‘squeezing away’ off the contact. The ball typically does not go ‘through the foot’ of the opposition player. 

Pukki is therefore only thinking (or instinctively acting)  in a particular and somewhat unnatural way precisely because it maximises the chances of a goal that way.

A rare breed indeed. 

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Strange, he must have chased down hundreds of passes back to the keeper in his time at Norwich, why has he saved his Jedi mind trick for now?

Because he & the goalie were in the right initial positions, no point otherwise. The fact he doesn't routinely try it whenever there's a back pass only emphasises his genius levels of judgment & anticipation.

On 23/10/2022 at 17:00, CDMullins said:

Are you suggesting they weren't?

Depends how you define luck?

Sheff Utds first goal on Saturday came from a mi****/deflected shot - it could have gone anywhere, but it just happened to drop right in front of one of their players who was making a run into the box. I haven't seen one person on this messageboard comment that this goal was lucky.  Yet apparently both our goals were lucky.

And if you're going to come back and say Sheff Utd made their own luck, then we made our own luck didn't we? 

• Like 1

On 23/10/2022 at 22:20, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

A further technical point if anyone is still left in any doubt that Pukki is being far cleverer here then your average striker-chasing-down-a-goalkeeper.

As stated Pukki needs a ‘dampener cushion’ to maximise the chances of a favourable ricochet, so he goes with the outside of his right ankle, with the softening effect in mind. The keeper has to make the clearance ‘cleanly’ a fraction of a second before Pukki’s secondary contact. 

If you watch the footage the natural ‘tackle’ shape would be for the left leg and left instep to slide in and block tackle, though this is too ‘hard’ a contact (it also rather risks giving a foul away on well-protected keepers) even if you succeed.

It would typically see two feet coming together (one from each player) and the ball ‘squeezing away’ off the contact. The ball typically does not go ‘through the foot’ of the opposition player. 

Pukki is therefore only thinking (or instinctively acting)  in a particular and somewhat unnatural way precisely because it maximises the chances of a goal that way.

A rare breed indeed. 

Parma 

Just been speaking to a very knowledgeable Blades fan about that game who was adamant that Pukki is the best player in the division and pointed out something which I didn't know but which rather backs up Parma's point.  The Blades GK is apparently very left footed, and the way in which Pukki curved his closing down run forced him onto his right foot.  Neither he nor I thought this was coincidental.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Barham Blitz said:

Just been speaking to a very knowledgeable Blades fan about that game who was adamant that Pukki is the best player in the division and pointed out something which I didn't know but which rather backs up Parma's point.  The Blades GK is apparently very left footed, and the way in which Pukki curved his closing down run forced him onto his right foot.  Neither he nor I thought this was coincidental.  

Adam Davies Rating is 70. His potential is 70 and his position is GK. He is 29 years old from Wales and playing for Sheffield United in the England Championship (2). Adam Davies FIFA 23 has 1 Skill moves and 3 Weak Foot, he is Right-footed and his workrates are Med/Med. The player's height is 185cm | 6'0" and his weight is 80kg | 176lbs . 

🤔🤔🤔🤫right footer . 

Name in home country:

Adam Rhys Davies

Date of birth:

Jul 17, 1992

Place of birth:

Rinteln Germany

Height:

1,85 m

Citizenship:

Wales Wales

Germany Germany

Position:

Goalkeeper

Foot:

right

Edited by Mengo

28 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Adam Davies Rating is 70. His potential is 70 and his position is GK. He is 29 years old from Wales and playing for Sheffield United in the England Championship (2). Adam Davies FIFA 23 has 1 Skill moves and 3 Weak Foot, he is Right-footed and his workrates are Med/Med. The player's height is 185cm | 6'0" and his weight is 80kg | 176lbs . 

🤔🤔🤔🤫right footer . 

Name in home country:

Adam Rhys Davies

Date of birth:

Jul 17, 1992

Place of birth:

Rinteln Germany

Height:

1,85 m

Citizenship:

Wales Wales

Germany Germany

Position:

Goalkeeper

Foot:

right

Just going on what a Blades fan said last night !  I personally have no idea.

Given the dearth of quality strikers it is surprising that several PL teams, especially the likes of Forest, Leeds and Southampton, did not come in with the £15m bid which would have secured him in the Summer. I suspect even slightly less (£10m?) will get him in January, given he is out of contract in June. Twice he has scored 11 goals for a team way off the pace. But that should tell you something - all our eggs were in the Pukki basket.

He is a great player, but he will not get a guaranteed starting place for any PL team because of the tactical changes required to accommodate him and the way he plays. I actually think this contributed hugely to our last two seasons failure in the PL. Stop Pukki, and you stop Norwich, because we offer no other plan - PL quality defenders can stop Pukki.

Internationally, Pukki rarely scores against top ranked nations.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Given the dearth of quality strikers it is surprising that several PL teams, especially the likes of Forest, Leeds and Southampton, did not come in with the £15m bid which would have secured him in the Summer. I suspect even slightly less (£10m?) will get him in January, given he is out of contract in June. Twice he has scored 11 goals for a team way off the pace. But that should tell you something - all our eggs were in the Pukki basket.

He is a great player, but he will not get a guaranteed starting place for any PL team because of the tactical changes required to accommodate him and the way he plays. I actually think this contributed hugely to our last two seasons failure in the PL. Stop Pukki, and you stop Norwich, because we offer no other plan - PL quality defenders can stop Pukki.

I personally think it's more of a case of PL quality midfielders making sure our midfield can't thread those balls through to him.

On 23/10/2022 at 13:45, Bovril said:

Sargent is just as good as Pukki at it, Sargent has come close numerous times. Where Pukki has the advantage is he technical nous and movement. Where Josh has the advantage, is his now greater speed and maintained acceleration. 

No he isn’t. The difference is in the fact that Pukki has done it and Sarge has ‘come close’

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Just like England then 😂

• Haha 1