TheBaldOne66

Trevor Sinclair

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

The risk in the situation is that their protest will incite a violent backlash against them. The easiest way to diffuse that and to keep the peace is to remove the protestor. 

Penny

|

|

\ /

Dropped! 😊 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

10 days, and they would be perfectly free to protest somewhere away from the Queen's procession and royal dwellings where mourners are gathering where there's no risk of them creating a breach of the peace by their actions. 

How would that then constitute a protest?

You're supposed to stand on your own in an empty field to protest, are you?

Edited by Pyro Pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Herman said:

This is bad. Boo to those fascistic Russians.

Watch: Russian cops arrest woman for holding a blank sign | Boing Boing

This is fine and dandy. Well done British bobbies.

Protester with 'not my King' poster led away as Charles III addresses  parliament - Mirror Online

I never saw the sign! This second image is so lacking in any vitriol that to be completely honest any disturbance it caused would be a gross overreaction by the person reacting. If anyone were to react riotously to a sign saying ‘not my king’ then that would surely be as bad as a few fans booing a national anthem? If this constitutes provocation then the grieving public would have to have a pretty psychotic streak in them. 

8 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

😂. I read the full article for justification. I can accept they don’t want the wealth to be ‘eroded’ but how about just being non profit? Yes they pay tax on what they gain but to counter the fact this gain is NEVER going to be taxed they surely should pay 90-100% rate of tax on anything they ADD to this over time? They’re not then getting any poorer but they’re also not getting any more untouchably wealthy relatively. 

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

😂. I read the full article for justification. I can accept they don’t want the wealth to be ‘eroded’ but how about just being non profit? Yes they pay tax on what they gain but to counter the fact this gain is NEVER going to be taxed they surely should pay 90-100% rate of tax on anything they ADD to this over time? They’re not then getting any poorer but they’re also not getting any more untouchably wealthy relatively. 

Just to be clear that rule was made by the then PM, who was voted in, it's not something the royals have done. Although obviously they won't disagree I'm sure. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

If anyone were to react riotously to a sign saying ‘not my king’ then that would surely be as bad as a few fans booing a national anthem? If this constitutes provocation then the grieving public would have to have a pretty psychotic streak in them. 

It's a really hard call to make, because you have got very upset and passionate people there - Don't know if you've watched much of the coverage but I didn't realise there were so many staunch royalists around to be honest.  

And in that context, I can see how that sign could spark some outrage, within what should be a moment of mourning... Although that's odd, as it's a kinda two-way mourning/celebration thing going on.

But like you say, she's just expressing her view.  A larger space between My and King wouldn't have gone amiss, that's the most upsetting part for me!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Did you listen to King Charles' accession ceremony? There's a part in there where the monarch agrees to hand over all the profits of the Crown Estate, which is property of the monarch as corporation sole, in exchange for the sovereign grant. It's a very good deal for the treasury. 

And, let's face it, if it wasn't owned by the Crown then the government would have flogged it all by now. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

It's all new territory for a vast majority of us. 

The world has changed massively since this last happened, and the people who were about then, were young, and didn't have anywhere near the media coverage it's getting now. 

We have very little experience of this situation in the main, but that doesn't alter the fact we should still be able to respect one another, their right to a differing view, and still get on with our respective lives. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

It's all new territory for a vast majority of us. 

The world has changed massively since this last happened, and the people who were about then, were young, and didn't have anywhere near the media coverage it's getting now. 

We have very little experience of this situation in the main, but that doesn't alter the fact we should still be able to respect one another, their right to a differing view, and still get on with our respective lives. 

The Queen died Friday. All these gatherings are in honour of her. I liked the Queen; I have as much respect for protesters intruding on such gatherings as they have for those of the people around them to grieve and show their respects in peace, which is none. 

5 hours ago, Newtopia said:

There is not many ways to dress up the tweet circulated by a very privileged ex-footballer who is critical of a woman who just passed away and has been the queen since the 1950’s when the first female member of the House of Lords was appointed, to the current day where we have our third female prime minister and a cabinet which reflects a range of ethnicities.

I hope they don’t sack him, he should be free to say these things, (it just shows what he is like) and encourages people to point out how far society has come and discuss how to make things better.

Agreed.  I thought his original tweet was garbage, like all the other similar tweets saying the same thing, but the thing about freedom of speech is you have to defend it even when you don't like.  In fact, ESPECIALLY when you don't like it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The Queen died Friday. All these gatherings are in honour of her. I liked the Queen; I have no respect for protesters intruding on such gatherings. 

You may not have respect for them,  but it’s doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it if they want to. 

1 minute ago, astro said:

You may not have respect for them,  but it’s doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it if they want to. 

Personally, I don't want them to. They're not really there to protest; they're there to ruin it for the people who went there to be a part of it. If they're arrested lawfully then all good as far as I'm concerned. 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I have as much respect for protesters intruding on such gatherings as they have for those of the people around them to grieve and show their respects in peace, which is none. 

No sh!t.

Everyone has the right to peaceful protest. If someone is at risk from others because they are peacefully protesting, the ones threatening their safety should be arrested. Not the protestor.

Edited by Pyro Pete
  • Like 1

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

Personally, I don't want them to. They're not really there to protest; they're there to ruin it for the people who went there to be a part of it. If they're arrested lawfully then all good as far as I'm concerned. 

You are making quite a big assumption as to why they are protesting. Do you think that’s fair without knowing the true reasons for why the person protested? 

4 minutes ago, astro said:

You are making quite a big assumption as to why they are protesting. Do you think that’s fair without knowing the true reasons for why the person protested? 

To be honest, I don't really care about fairness on this one. I like the monarchy. I liked the Queen. The monarchy is not a reasonable, rational way of doing things, but still I like it as something that brightens up an otherwise dull country, and the rest of the world finds quite interesting as well. It enjoys a majority of public support, so I don't see why the enjoyment of the vast majority should be spoiled for the benefit of small-minded iconoclasts. 

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

To be honest, I don't really care about fairness on this one. I like the monarchy. I liked the Queen. The monarchy is not a reasonable, rational way of doing things, but still I like it as something that brightens up an otherwise dull country, and the rest of the world finds quite interesting as well. It enjoys a majority of public support, so I don't see why the enjoyment of the vast majority should be spoiled for the benefit of small-minded iconoclasts. 

Do you have the same view of all small protests that go against the majority? Or only on those protests where you agree with the majority? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, astro said:

Do you have the same view of all small protests that go against the majority? Or only on those protests where you agree with the majority? 

No. This is one issue I reserve the right to be completely unreasonable about. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, astro said:

The duvet protester’s at Carrow Road had better numbers and made more noise. 

• Haha 1

Actually, I just looked it up, and the revenue the Crown Estate raised for government last year was about £312.7 million. The sovereign grant was about 120million quid, leaving a tidy profit of about 190 million quid per year. 

The Crown Estate is worth about £14bn, so if the monarchy's scrapped that's a 7 billion quid windfall, taking into account the government flogging it to friends on the cheap, and no revenue going forward. 

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's the perfect time to protest if you're an anti-monarchist. Tough **** if you don't like it.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It's the perfect time to protest if you're an anti-monarchist. Tough **** if you don't like it.

I guess. I find it bizarre people have that sort of life energy to devote to protesting something that doesn't really effect them beyond generating money for the country they live in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It'll probably be good for support of the monarchy. Most people won't have any respect for people seeking to disrupt people in mourning. Not decent people anyway. 

Then again, maybe the police should let them get on with it; the left-wing press can wail about the number of them going to hospital instead. 

49 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I guess. I find it bizarre people have that sort of life energy to devote to protesting something that doesn't really effect them beyond generating money for the country they live in.

But, but the tourists.....

Maybe people want to live in a real democracy not some theme park. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

It'll probably depend on whether they want to be Mickey Mouse or not? 🤣

Apples

• Haha 2

I see some of the usual suspects are on here arguing the case for people being wilfully disruptive and antagonistic during this period of national mourning.  As LYB has clearly stated, at a time of heightened sensitivities, such public displays of grossly disrespectful self-indulgence risk causing a breach of the peace at a time when the Police are having to control huge numbers over large areas with security at a premium.  With their resources being extremely stretched they’ve clearly, and quite rightly, taken the view that they will not tolerate such behaviour by a handful of self-righteous rabble-rousing zealots.

Edited by Naturalcynic
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Funny thing: I don't remember you championing freedom to protest like this when it was Tommy Robinson being arrested with the same breach of the peace laws outside Leeds Crown Court. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

It'll probably depend on whether they want to be Mickey Mouse or not? 🤣

Apples

I think we have found Goofy and Dumbo. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Funny thing: I don't remember you championing freedom to protest like this when it was Tommy Robinson being arrested with the same breach of the peace laws outside Leeds Crown Court. 

Is that when he was filming in a court of law nearly bringing down a whole case?