Sign in to follow this  
benchwarmer

Milk Cup Final 1985

Does anyone remember an incident on a football special train to the Milk Cup Final in 1985 when a fan leaned out of a window, hit his head on something and was killed?  I was living abroad in 1985 and knew nothing about it until now, but I heard it from a neighbour who was on the same train but didn't witness it.

Edited by benchwarmer

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Are you sure it was the milk cup final ? 

That's what my neighbour said, but neither of us are getting any younger.

9 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Does anyone remember an incident on the football special train to the Milk Cup Final in 1985 when a fan leant out of the window, hit his head on something and was killed?  I was living abroad in 1985 and knew nothing about it until now, but I heard it from a neighbour who was on the same train but didn't witness it.

It definitely happened.

See Wings of a Sparrow post here.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It definitely happened.

See Wings of a Sparrow post here.

What are the chances , @cambridgeshire canarystarted a thread on it. 🙂

Reminds me of one of Ronnie Corbet's monologue, when he said "I remember it well, DFS had a sale on......"

• Haha 1

I was gonna reply again, but thanks for finding my old post.

Without going into any more detail, the poor guy had an accident with a train going in the opposite direction.

I definitely remember reading a report of the thing being mentioned. As I recall, there were trains going via Ipswich and others that went via Cambridge, this was a Cambridge train.  I wasn’t on the train in question…

Edited by Branston Pickle

Definitely the 1985 Milk Cup Final. I travelled to London the night before and went to meet my mates off the football special at Kings Cross which was delayed because of the Norwich fan getting killed. I also remember the parachutist that missed the pitch............

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

1 minute ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Yes, I didn't think that through fully. Now removed.

We all post in haste / after a few beers sometimes, so respect for the doing the right thing and removing the post. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/08/2022 at 18:16, benchwarmer said:

Does anyone remember an incident on a football special train to the Milk Cup Final in 1985 when a fan leant out of the window, hit his head on something and was killed?  I was living abroad in 1985 and knew nothing about it until now, but I heard it from a neighbour who was on the same train but didn't witness it.

EDIT: Like Drazen above, wrote something in slightly poor taste and deleted. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Bit Tasteless Tubs 

Im sure the family (and friends) - who may still be reading this forum would like that sentiment!  

Edited by Greavsy

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Very poor taste

It wasn't really meant as a joke, although admittedly I wouldn't want to upset anybody so noted (but can't go back now its been quoted twice).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It wasn't a joke, if one had to choose....

That makes it ok then! ? 

Jeez! 

On 09/08/2022 at 18:16, benchwarmer said:

Does anyone remember an incident on a football special train to the Milk Cup Final in 1985 when a fan leaned out of a window, hit his head on something and was killed?  I was living abroad in 1985 and knew nothing about it until now, but I heard it from a neighbour who was on the same train but didn't witness it.

I wonder whether Pete Raven or somebody else from Archant could actually search their archives (assuming digitalised) to answer this question and determine whether its a myth or fact.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

OK, it probably was a bit clumsily written and in poor taste, noted. 

We got there in the end 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We all post in haste / after a few beers sometimes.

And some just don't think before posting...... 

And need to be told by at least two posters before accepting it was "probably was a bit clumsily written and in poor taste" 

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I wonder whether Pete Raven or somebody else from Archant could actually search their archives (assuming digitalised) to answer this question and determine whether its a myth or fact.

It definitely happened. (Many years after that day) I used to know some of his immediate family.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

And some just don't think before posting...... 

And need to be told by at least two posters before accepting it was "probably was a bit clumsily written and in poor taste" 

You just love a little keyboard fight don't you Greavsy, take it you liked a roll around on the cobbles back in the day?

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You just love a little keyboard fight don't you Greavsy, take it you liked a roll around on the cobbles back in the day?

I'll just remind you, one of us has been banned, albeit temporarily, from here. 

And it's not me. 

I'll leave it at that. 

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Very poor taste

Very, very poor. And then asking if it really happened after confirmation by me and others that it definitely did .

Oh, and did he really mean  that it wasn't meant as a joke...

11 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Very, very poor. And then asking if it really happened after confirmation by me and others that it definitely did .

Oh, and did he really mean  that it wasn't meant as a joke...

I've already acknowledged it was poor taste or a bit clumsy, I apologise, but it has been quoted by two people now so deleting it isn't going to do much good, I'm young enough for 1985 to seem like ancient history, like the other poster I'd not really considered the possibility that some older people reading might have known the victim so could and should have been mores sensitive to the subject. Upon reflection, the protestations are valid, so hands up.

I'd not actually read your confirmation/account, must have skimmed past it, but I mean, by that measure you've presumably already read my post expressing some regret, that didn't stop you from from joining Greavsy in trying to instigate a pile on did it. 

I searched the BritishNewspaperArchive of which I'm a subscriber in an attempt to find press about the incident and failed, that was the only reason I suggested somebody at Archant might be able to answer (not much from Archant in that archive). I did however find an article about a similar incident involving a fan travelling to the 1925 Cup Final! That bit was only an attempt to conclusively answer the OP, 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten