Sign in to follow this  
TheGunnShow

A travelling/holiday thread

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

(Assuming night sleepers refers to trains??) Would love to do an old school Orient Express trip to Istanbul and back. 

I’m possibly looking at Istanbul fairly last minute maybe September or October this year - a place I’ve always wanted to go.

Aggy, this was in The Guardian last week:

Few trains are more storied than the Orient Express, which began carrying passengers from Paris to Istanbul – dinner jackets, bow ties and all – back in 1883. The train has always been first-class only; the carriages all opulent wood panelling and lavish furnishings. Of course, the route also provided the setting for Hercule Poirot’s most famous case.

Today, the train lives on as the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, which runs from London to Istanbul once a year. It costs a small fortune for a ticket, but there is a far cheaper way to take the same route – as long as you’re flexible on that wooden panelling.

Start with the Eurostar from London to Paris. Then catch the Nightjet sleeper to Munich, and, after sampling a beer hall or strolling the Englischer Garten, jump on another Nightjet train to Budapest. When you’ve soaked in the baths and recovered from the ruin bars (typically in dilapidated buildings), take the EuroNight Ister on to Bucharest, then finish the route on the Bosphorus Express, a 19-hour train from the Romanian capital to Istanbul, stepping out to the Golden Horn.

All the same city stops, from about £175 – a fraction of the whopping £19,145 for the Orient Express – and you won’t get in trouble for wearing jeans in the dining car.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Aggy, this was in The Guardian last week:

Few trains are more storied than the Orient Express, which began carrying passengers from Paris to Istanbul – dinner jackets, bow ties and all – back in 1883. The train has always been first-class only; the carriages all opulent wood panelling and lavish furnishings. Of course, the route also provided the setting for Hercule Poirot’s most famous case.

Today, the train lives on as the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, which runs from London to Istanbul once a year. It costs a small fortune for a ticket, but there is a far cheaper way to take the same route – as long as you’re flexible on that wooden panelling.

Start with the Eurostar from London to Paris. Then catch the Nightjet sleeper to Munich, and, after sampling a beer hall or strolling the Englischer Garten, jump on another Nightjet train to Budapest. When you’ve soaked in the baths and recovered from the ruin bars (typically in dilapidated buildings), take the EuroNight Ister on to Bucharest, then finish the route on the Bosphorus Express, a 19-hour train from the Romanian capital to Istanbul, stepping out to the Golden Horn.

All the same city stops, from about £175 – a fraction of the whopping £19,145 for the Orient Express – and you won’t get in trouble for wearing jeans in the dining car.

Nearly 20k! Yes might need the Guardian’s plan b in that case… In fairness, I’ve done most of those so if I do tick off Istanbul this year, I may spend my 20k on something else!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aggy said:

Lots of beautiful lakes down there - I have friends in Munich, Kaufbeuren, and Augsburg, who I used to visit most summers for a good few years when younger - lots of swimming (badly on my part) and hiking (not much better). Never got across to Lake Constance though. 

Consider Lindau a warm recommendation too, but if you're going to stay there, make sure you're on the island.

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Thanks, it was nearly 30 years ago and I am probably a bit old now for propelling myself! But I do like boat trips. And trains whenever possible. Truthfully not just because it is less harmful to the planet but budget airline flying is so tedious and to be avoided whenever possible. I see that night sleepers are coming back. I used such twice in Oz, and I am looking at that as a way of getting to Istanbul this year or next.

Spreewald can be paddled, but if you get to Lübbenau there are a couple of places that offer boat tours (in German) on large punts that can seat up to about 30 people. If you don't understand the lingo, just enjoy the scenery. Expect a two-hour trip to cost about twenty Euro per person or so.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday was a day spent with Miss TGS exploring the unexpectedly beguiling capital of Thüringia, Erfurt.

May be an image of 6 people and street

This is the Krämerbrücke (Merchant's Bridge) - you can't tell it is a bridge when on it, you need to be on the side streets to see it goes over the River Gera.

May be an image of 10 people

Fischmarkt, one of the main squares.

May be an image of 3 people

Erfurter Rathaus (Erfurt City Hall)

May be an image of 2 people and York Minster

Erfurter Dom (Erfurt Cathedral)

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 18:01, Aggy said:

(Assuming night sleepers refers to trains??) Would love to do an old school Orient Express trip to Istanbul and back. 

I’m possibly looking at Istanbul fairly last minute maybe September or October this year - a place I’ve always wanted to go.

I’d love to do Turkey and İstanbul, it’s been highly recommended more than once, but I’m very reluctant until that ****er Erdogan has gone. Am I being over-precious? I can’t decide.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’d love to do Turkey and İstanbul, it’s been highly recommended more than once, but I’m very reluctant until that ****er Erdogan has gone. Am I being over-precious? I can’t decide.

Nah, totally agree. Not keen on going to Budapest for similar reasons re. Orban and you'll not get me anywhere near the Arabian Peninsula even if they paid me.

• Like 2

Not sure why pictures are disappearing in this thread. Anyway, a few more before I came back from Germany last night.

20230722_103956.thumb.jpg.a7aa79b4a10ee1599205d7a60e811152.jpg

Sombre one to start with, this is Strasse der Nationen (Road of Nations) at the memorial site of Buchenwald concentration camp, near Weimar.

20230722_113827.thumb.jpg.bb887d8c7bfbaecf6baf8d1dd32f35e5.jpg

Theatre in Weimar. Can't avoid the Goethe and Schiller statue, really!

20230722_123519.thumb.jpg.ec42d5700fe6f9f2e7b968716755c941.jpg

Most of Weimar's city centre was like this!

• Like 3

Might as well bump this thread back up. Anyone else had some good summer trips?

Had to cancel three planned ones of my own (Warsaw, Cardiff and Athens) as I'm saving up to emigrate. Kept Odense though as Denmark is the only one of those four where I haven't ran a half-marathon yet. Means I'm missing my favourite event this coming weekend (Polmaraton Praski) in Warsaw, but it'll be there next year.

No good summer trips. But headed to Prague in April for the first time in 21 years. I imagine its going to be very different. I'm on a stag do but it's not gonna be a typical one. There are only a few of us. Half don't drink. My choice of cultural activity is the lego museum. Can't wait! Someone has suggested we all do parkrun on the Saturday morning too!

UK wise newcastle/Sunderland already for the game in October. The only away game that coincides with a week off this year. That will be fun.

Also given up beer for a bit. The £30 I'd spend a week is going into my 'world cup 26 fund' determined to go. Spend 5-6 days in 3 cities. See a couple of games I'm each (don't mind who) Toronto is a definite. New York or Boston  probable. 

I'll go now, im rambling. Can you tell ive just had 2 coffees!?

12 hours ago, The Raptor said:

No good summer trips. But headed to Prague in April for the first time in 21 years. I imagine its going to be very different. I'm on a stag do but it's not gonna be a typical one. There are only a few of us. Half don't drink. My choice of cultural activity is the lego museum. Can't wait! Someone has suggested we all do parkrun on the Saturday morning too!

UK wise newcastle/Sunderland already for the game in October. The only away game that coincides with a week off this year. That will be fun.

Also given up beer for a bit. The £30 I'd spend a week is going into my 'world cup 26 fund' determined to go. Spend 5-6 days in 3 cities. See a couple of games I'm each (don't mind who) Toronto is a definite. New York or Boston  probable. 

I'll go now, im rambling. Can you tell ive just had 2 coffees!?

If you've not booked the hotel yet, don't mind something in what I can best describe as a Czech Laura Ashley style, and happy to spend a bit for a great place to stay, then this hotel comes very warmly recommended from Miss TGS and myself.

Boutique Hotel Constans , Prague | Welcome Official Website

I work over the Summer as I can’t bare the heat and Sun. Autumn brings cooler climbs so off to Trondheim next week than Tallin in October, Rovaniemi in November, and Turku in January. Long cold dark days well into minus numbers is my idea of heaven. Might squeeze in another Nordic trip just before Xmas.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

I work over the Summer as I can’t bare the heat and Sun. Autumn brings cooler climbs so off to Trondheim next week than Tallin in October, Rovaniemi in November, and Turku in January. Long cold dark days well into minus numbers is my idea of heaven. Might squeeze in another Nordic trip just before Xmas.

Tallinn is stunning (a bit too well-restored for my taste), if you fancy a good cafe then there's a small one that makes its own chocolate inside the city walls called Kehrwieder. And Turku is an enjoyable place to wander, especially down by the banks of the Aare. Shame you're there in January, as the boat trip to the Aland Islands is incredibly beautiful when the sun's up.

Edited by TheGunnShow

28 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Tallinn is stunning (a bit too well-restored for my taste), if you fancy a good cafe then there's a small one that makes its own chocolate inside the city walls called Kehrwieder. And Turku is an enjoyable place to wander, especially down by the banks of the Aare. Shame you're there in January, as the boat trip to the Aland Islands is incredibly beautiful when the sun's up.

Cheers! I’ll look that up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

If you've not booked the hotel yet, don't mind something in what I can best describe as a Czech Laura Ashley style, and happy to spend a bit for a great place to stay, then this hotel comes very warmly recommended from Miss TGS and myself.

Boutique Hotel Constans , Prague | Welcome Official Website

Cheers. Will have a look later.

• Like 1

20230903_111140.thumb.jpg.fbc17a7b2cb91e02e03736ca38017f0f.jpg

No idea what it's like in Norfolk but it's hot here! We're starting our walks at 9.00 to avoid the worst of the heat. Now slightly pi**ed and completely knackered 20230903_110846.thumb.jpg.fdfb0ab8bba8e6309d123a2f8d766ebd.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 3

I'm currently in Vietnam and I'm going to remember this:

Mopeds, a lot of mopeds.

A 4WD does fit through that 3ft gap - 2mm is more than enough clearance.

Beeping your horn is a courteous thing to do ... a lot.

No speed cameras.

Traffic lights with a countdown clock so you know how long until it changes to red.

4 adults/a family of 4 Inc a newborn do fit on a 125cc moped ... with the shopping.

Texting whilst riding is clearly possible ... in crocs.

Chaos organised by the road users. No need for police interference.

😄

• Haha 3

I've got 4 days in The Faroe Islands next week. I arrive the day after they play in the European qualifiers, which is a shame. Would have been nice to have been in the pub when that's on. I think I'll skip car hire and take public transport everywhere 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I've got 4 days in The Faroe Islands next week. I arrive the day after they play in the European qualifiers, which is a shame. Would have been nice to have been in the pub when that's on. I think I'll skip car hire and take public transport everywhere 

Enjoy. I absolutely love the Faroes. Just be mindful that the buses don't run that often - and they're free just within the capital, Torshavn. Might be worth hiring a car for one day - Arctic.fo were very competitive on price when Miss TGS and myself were up there (she does the driving as I can't).

• Like 1

Today's Peak District photo. Mam Tor, the Great Ridge and Edale taken from The Lord's Seat. Photos don't do this place justice. It is breathtaking 

20230905_101553.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Today's Peak District photo. Mam Tor, the Great Ridge and Edale taken from The Lord's Seat. Photos don't do this place justice. It is breathtaking 

20230905_101553.jpg

Escape the heat in Blue John Cavern. I walked Kinder Scout in May and dropped in there on my way through. Have to admit I'm a bit of a sucker for caves though. I think there is also another place that offers canoe tours in that cave system that I'd have loved to do but didn't have time.

• Like 1

Bumping the thread up. New Year travels are already set out as I'm going back to Tromsø with Miss TGS. She hasn't seen the Northern Lights, I've seen them twice and need absolutely no excuse whatsoever for a third swing.

Could be struggling to do much travelling next year though - been decorating my place ready to rent it out, as the aim now is to clear off to Germany for good. Only problem is that Miss TGS's home city of Jena is pricey and I went after one apartment, only to be hyper-suspicious at the conditions and it then did appear to be a scam upon further research. Looking more like I'll be in Naumberg or Gera instead for a year whilst we date like "normal" people instead of meeting up for long weekends or indeed living with each other for a bit - she went back to Germany yesterday morning after six days with me.

Realistically, Gera's going to look like my best bet.

• Like 1

Did the trip to Istanbul a month or two ago. Enjoyed it. Slightly underwhelmed with the Hagia Sophia (as it’s now a functioning mosque again, quite a lot of it was off limits, and it wasn’t as impressive inside as the blue mosque). The Topkapi palace was better. Stayed five days in sultanahmet and then four further out in the more modern shopping areas plus a day on the Asian side - very friendly city, decent food, good weather. The new airport is also massive.

Not sure I’d rush back but glad to have been.

Was supposed to be in Tel Aviv at the start of December but that’s obviously not happening right now.

• Like 2

We recently did our yearly Italy trip. We flew London City Airport to Florence and caught the train to Rimini. We were at the end of the season so it wasn’t manic, but all the restaurants were still open. I was surprised at the size of the fishing fleet, and the old town was lovely. Then train to Bologna for 3 nights. Great buzzing city with amazing architecture. I didn’t realise they paved over all the canals or it would have been like Venice. Due to the university, it has a very young vibe and it allowed me to reminisce. We then trained it again to stay with friends who live near Voltaire and spent our final night in Sienna. Sienna had the most amazing cathedral. Back to Florence and back to London City. 

I am taking the whole family to Mallorca for the new year and have booked El Camino restaurant in Palma, which is an absolute favourite. 

in January we are off to Germany for father in laws 80th and then Frankfurt to Cape Town, where we will reside until mid April. 

I am considering Nazare at the weekend as there are giant waves( watching not surfing of course).

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, dj11 said:

We recently did our yearly Italy trip. We flew London City Airport to Florence and caught the train to Rimini. We were at the end of the season so it wasn’t manic, but all the restaurants were still open. I was surprised at the size of the fishing fleet, and the old town was lovely. Then train to Bologna for 3 nights. Great buzzing city with amazing architecture. I didn’t realise they paved over all the canals or it would have been like Venice. Due to the university, it has a very young vibe and it allowed me to reminisce. We then trained it again to stay with friends who live near Voltaire and spent our final night in Sienna. Sienna had the most amazing cathedral. Back to Florence and back to London City. 

I am taking the whole family to Mallorca for the new year and have booked El Camino restaurant in Palma, which is an absolute favourite. 

in January we are off to Germany for father in laws 80th and then Frankfurt to Cape Town, where we will reside until mid April. 

I am considering Nazare at the weekend as there are giant waves( watching not surfing of course).

Did you get to San Marino? As soon as I see Rimini my first thought is "get to San Marino from there!"

It was in our plans, but we lost a day due to the air traffic control breakdown. When I think of Rimini, I think of Sophie Loren and open top sports cars, but its was not like that, but enjoyable all the same. Hoping to spend time in Germany next year, as I have applied for Euro tickets in Frankfurt, Cologne, Dortmund, Dusseldorf and Berlin. We have already booked flights and hotel for the final weekend, as even if we do not get tickets, it should be a great atmosphere.

Bumping up as hopefully I'll get this with Miss TGS at the start of 2024 - for me it's a revisit of Tromsø for a rematch with the Polar Night half-marathon, for Miss TGS it will be her first time north of the Arctic Circle.

This shot was from January 2019 from the top of the cable car in Tromsø, looking back towards the island on which the city centre lies. It was so cold even I had handwarmers and the reindeer soup in the restaurant next to the cable car station was very tasty.

And yeah, no real day time as it was polar night.

No photo description available.

On 23/11/2023 at 19:35, TheGunnShow said:

Bumping up as hopefully I'll get this with Miss TGS at the start of 2024 - for me it's a revisit of Tromsø for a rematch with the Polar Night half-marathon, for Miss TGS it will be her first time north of the Arctic Circle.

This shot was from January 2019 from the top of the cable car in Tromsø, looking back towards the island on which the city centre lies. It was so cold even I had handwarmers and the reindeer soup in the restaurant next to the cable car station was very tasty.

And yeah, no real day time as it was polar night.

No photo description available.

One for you.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/nov/29/faroe-islands-farmers-charge-tourists-to-visit-hotspots-as-visitor-numbers-rise

• Like 1