Sign in to follow this  
king canary

England v New Zealand Test Match

Feels like the Root loss probably killed our opportunity to win unless Bairstow and Lees get some big scores and then we can have a late thrash.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Feels like the Root loss probably killed our opportunity to win unless Bairstow and Lees get some big scores and then we can have a late thrash.

I don't really care if they lose this one, what I like is that they are actually giving it a go.

Root is obviously an absolutely incredible batsman, but as a Captain we know he'd have been instructing his team to try and see this one through to a draw, and in the last couple of years more often than not still lose.

Maybe it's foolhardy given that we're 1-0 up in a three match series, but this is the sort of cricket people want to see. I doubt they'll do it, but at least they're going down swinging!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I doubt they'll do it, but at least they're going down swinging!

Jonny Bairstow thinks differently!

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Jonny Bairstow thinks differently!

He's going bananas! My post may have only been 18 minutes ago, but he's put on about 40 runs in that time!!!

• Haha 1

On 12/06/2022 at 20:01, Herman said:

Went well. Draw likely unless there's a dramatic overnight change to the pitch.😀

Called it.😳

Blimey, this last session is bonkers.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Fantastic stuff. Truly feels like a rejuvenated team.

Yep! There will be times when the new aggressive approach will fail badly. When that happens I just hope the commentators remember this astonishing performance before they lay into the team.

To give up over 500 runs in the first inning but win the match by 5 wickets says that was a very special test match! 

We scored at 6 runs an over for that innings. 299 in 50 overs wasn't heard of in one day cricket not that long ago. And we were pasting the best test team in the world. And lets not forget that 35 wickets fell as well.

And they moan at the over rate😂

Well, that sure was a remarkable match, and a truly superlative knock from Bairstow!

Absolutely made up I got to witness those overs after tea, the way Bracewell was in awe was truly magnificent viewing.

I thought he would beat it but "The Croucher's" record still stands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Jessop

A remarkable man was Gilbert Jessop. His 76 ball hundred v Australia was in the days when you had to knock it out of the ground to score a six. In his sensational 104 he hit 17 fours and an all run five!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

A remarkable man was Gilbert Jessop. His 76 ball hundred v Australia was in the days when you had to knock it out of the ground to score a six. In his sensational 104 he hit 17 fours and an all run five!

Average only 21?

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

My old man played for Bradenham in the 50's. They used to have to clear the road around the ground to get a 6 😀

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

286 in 3 hours!!!

Very good start to the final test. Incredible how Broad has remained this good for this long. When he retires he'll be recognised as one of the best of all time.

58 minutes ago, king canary said:

Very good start to the final test. Incredible how Broad has remained this good for this long. When he retires he'll be recognised as one of the best of all time.

Funny how arguably three of the all time greats for us are in this side which is in the bottom half of the world rankings. Find two reliable openers and we could get back to the top.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

There was too much optimism about some batting performances on what was a good wicket in the last test.

It is part of this new aggressive style McCullum wants- looks fantastic when it works but awful when it doesn't.

Saying that, they do still need to play situationally and not just be aggressive for the sake of it.

45 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Great fight back by England, game on for the whitewash. 

That was far, far better than the crud shown earlier. Well done Johnny and Overton.👏

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

That was far, far better than the crud shown earlier. Well done Johnny and Overton.👏

The female England cricketer they have on TMS has got it bang on....stokes was aggressive from ball one and lost his wicket, Bairstow and Overton took their time (only day 2) and have reaped the rewards. That's why its called test cricket.