Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Even the TNC boys are turning against Webber

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

That's the question they were asking though.... Is this an answer, or you asking the same question (?)

It's an answer to the questioning of his experience to do the role and an attempt to make him accountable for Webbers decisions before he was his assistant.

28 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

So you are doubting his ability based on what?

He' been a player, played at the top flight and won a championship at that level.

He's been a coach and won the most prestigious competition at the level he was coaching at. 

He's been a manager, experienced a transfer window and made some decent signings.

His role and actions as Loan Manager have been copied by other clubs as it is considered the leading example of how to manage players on loan.

He's been Asst.to Webber since Sept 2021. The only event that's in the public domain is his involvement in appointing Smith & Shakespeare (he was at the meeting that took place in Smith's kitchen) whether you think it was a good appointment or not being in the room when the conversation took place is good experience.

That's not someone who is inexperienced, but it's also not someone who should blamed for Webbers perceived failings.

1) Being a player means nothing. Some of the best players are rubbish managers, some non players are great managers.

2) He was an under 18s coach in 2013

3) A dismal manager who had two dozen games in charge. Your spin on this achievement is amazing.

4) He was loans manager for a long time, a smaller cog that he stayed in for 6 years.

5) Thats 7-8 months experience. All during a period of poor performance. Was in that position during Farke's botched sacking for example.

I have 14 years of experience as a software developer, 1-2 as a manager. I am experienced in the industry, I am a relatively inexperienced manager. If I was offered head of division I wouldn't be ready for it, even with 16 years in the industry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hertfordyellow said:

1) Being a player means nothing. Some of the best players are rubbish managers, some non players are great managers.

2) He was an under 18s coach in 2013

3) A dismal manager who had two dozen games in charge. Your spin on this achievement is amazing.

4) He was loans manager for a long time, a smaller cog that he stayed in for 6 years.

5) Thats 7-8 months experience. All during a period of poor performance. Was in that position during Farke's botched sacking for example.

I have 14 years of experience as a software developer, 1-2 as a manager. I am experienced in the industry, I am a relatively inexperienced manager. If I was offered head of division I wouldn't be ready for it, even with 16 years in the industry.

Apart from Agent he's done the role of all the people he's likely to encounter in his role.

Your extremely negative spin on his career is very poor but it's a well known saying that you can learn more from negative results than positive ones.

15 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Apart from Agent he's done the role of all the people he's likely to encounter in his role.

Your extremely negative spin on his career is very poor but it's a well known saying that you can learn more from negative results than positive ones.

He's not been head of development, head of recruitment etc. Where has he shouldered that kind of responsibility before? Apart from manager, that lasted how long? Again, if he wasn't an ex Norwich player etc would he be a consideration? This ex player obsession has plagued this club for decades. Deehan, Megson, Grant, Gunn, Adams all given opportunities they didn't merit because of previous playing experience. O'Neill being the exception.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Dean Smith's role was centre back for the entirety of his career, Don't know if you've watched the last few games? 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

He's not been head of development, head of recruitment etc. Where has he shouldered that kind of responsibility before? Apart from manager, that lasted how long? Again, if he wasn't an ex Norwich player etc would he be a consideration? This ex player obsession has plagued this club for decades. Deehan, Megson, Grant, Gunn, Adams all given opportunities they didn't merit because of previous playing experience. O'Neill being the exception.

He did a transfer window when he was a manager, made some good buys. Left the club just outside the play-offs when he resigned.

Poor old David Stringer, his managerial career wasn't bad. 

Ken Brown was an assistant who got the top job, he wasn't bad either.

Mike Walker was reserve team manager, given the top job, did OK.

Try and look on the positive side. Promoting from within can be a good decision.

Edited by A Load of Squit
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

He did a transfer window when he was a manager, made some good buys. Left the club just outside the play-offs when he resigned.

Try and look on the positive side. Promoting from within can be a good decision.

Mike Walker did ok! First time around he was exceptional. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

He was sacked after 24 games. His signings were... mixed at best

Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 20.49.16.png

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Aah the days of the completely random signing. Kyle lafferty did anyone do any due diligence on that one.

1 minute ago, Ulfotto said:

Aah the days of the completely random signing. Kyle lafferty did anyone do any due diligence on that one.

Certainly wouldn't pass the no d**kheads transfer rule that Webber brought in.

4 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

We massively under achieved with Neil Adams as manager, he wasn't any good. You only need to see the turn around once we bought in Alex Neil. Lets not make him leaving us around the play off places sound like that was something good. Look at the side he had, shouldve been battling for top 2.

And yes Neil Adams didn't half sign some crap. Spent £10m on Lafferty, Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe & Miquel. And bought in the slowest CB in history in Hooiveld.

• Like 1

Just now, hertfordyellow said:

Or the fact we signed three identical centre forwards In Jerome, Lafferty and Grabban.

Webber has at least done given us a transfer strategy. Every signing now is actually a type.

18 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Or the fact we signed three identical centre forwards In Jerome, Lafferty and Grabban.

Webber has at least done given us a transfer strategy. Every signing now is actually a type.

Webber has at least done given us a transfer strategy. Every signing now is actually a type.

A type of what🤔. I'm intrigued to understand his strategy. 

2 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Webber has at least done given us a transfer strategy. Every signing now is actually a type.

A type of what🤔. I'm intrigued to understand his strategy. 

From what I can tell we go after about 3 distinct groups 

1) Players who have fallen on hard times for whatever reason and other teams no longer see the value in them. Examples are Krul, Pukki, Gibson, Bryam.

2) Players who have shined or at least shown potential in unfashionable leagues with potential to be sold on for a lot more money. For examples Buendia, Giannoulis, Sargent.

3) foreign or homegrown Young players who can be acquired on the cheap and developed by the club. For example Bushiri, sinani, Gibbs, Clarke.

Nearly all of the permanent signing in the last three years would fit into one of these groups.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

1) Players who have fallen on hard times for whatever reason and other teams no longer see the value in them. Examples are Krul, Pukki, Gibson, Bryam.

2) Players who have shined or at least shown potential in unfashionable leagues with potential to be sold on for a lot more money. For examples Buendia, Giannoulis, Sargent.

3) foreign or homegrown Young players who can be acquired on the cheap and developed by the club. For example Bushiri, sinani, Gibbs, Clarke.

Nearly all of the permanent signing in the last three years would fit into one of these groups.

Thanks for that 👍

9 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

That seems to be a good analysis of Webber's approach and it has definite virtues.

IMO, the downside is that it leads to a kind of opportunism where we try to pick up bargains but we don't focus on where the team needs strengthening and how these bargains will fit together as a group. It's a bit like buying various bits of branded clothes and accessories because they're on sale but then when you put them all on at the same time, they clash.

I guess I'm saying that Webber's approach makes sense financially, but not necessarily in footballing terms. Compare Brentford's very targeted recruitment this season with our scattergun hiring.

It can be argued that seeing the bigger team picture should have been Farke's remit. What we don't know, and never will know, is how much input Farke had into recruitment or whether he was just expected to rubber-stamp Webber's decisions. I know Webber has made statements about this, but Farke hasn't and couldn't, so I think we have to remain agnostic. 

"I won't leave the club in the lurch"... this is another of Webbers repeated statements. If he leaves and Neil Adams steps up. We will know that he was nothing but a con artist. The buzz of the early year or so... visually, you could see the difference with the training ground etc and people believed Farke would cope at the high table and it generated this buzz around the club that threw us into the premiership... but now Webber has maxed out his training facility stuff... there's nothing more he can do to generate buzz.

19 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Conflict of interest / potential breach of trust (on all parties) seems to spring to mind.  Unless Webber's departure is totally amicable or Webber / Ward get divorced, with the role Ward has and the total lack of appropriate accountability at the club at the moment (modern corporate governance is non-existent) she has to protect the club against her partner - how the **** is that supposed to work?

Just cos she's the wife of Stuart Webber doesn't mean she's connected to him on a professional level. How is it a conflict of interest or potential breach of trust? She's her own person with her own role within the club. Them being married really doesn't come into play, does it?

Edited by Michael Starr

2 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Just cos she's the wife of Stuart Webber doesn't mean she's connected to him on a professional level. How is it a conflict of interest or potential breach of trust? She's her own person with her own role within the club. Them being married really doesn't come into play, does it?

Commendable showing by Zoe to usher Hubby Stu back into the club entrance before the tense fracas became more serious.....

She certainly displayed to the onlooking club stewards how it should be done....

13 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Some might say Ben Marshall slipped past him on that one.

2 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Absolutely - with connected parties everything has to be transparent but unfortunately given the current corporate governance structure at Norwich that is impossible.  Ward cannot be judge and jury too, but unfortunately that is the position the Board have left her on this one, as she is the most senior executive, and her role on the Board is not subject to control from a defined Chair.  It's as much Ward's fault now, she seems to be good at physically controlling Webber as shown from the video from Saturday, but she sure cannot control him in his intellectual and business actions and she has left herself exposed as far as corporate governance is concerned.  

It is nothing to do with the personalities involved, it is nothing due to the marriage of two of the people concerned; it underlines once again something I have been bleating on about on here for most of this season, a total lack of transparency and corporate governance at the club.  If it isn't sorted PDQ, I don't want to be overly dramatic, but we will have another Derby / Oldham / Bury on our hands.  The Board as a minimum needs to appoint a proper Chair person and a proper CEO ASAP, so that all senior executives and members of the Board are properly accountable for.  To do nothing risks bringing the whole club into disrepute, not just the DoF!

One thing our Self-Funding Family Club will not ever be accused of is Nepotism....'Move along now, nothing to see here'......

Edited by Mello Yello

4 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

You're having a laugh here surely.

What if a girl at the club made complaints that Webber had been making advances towards her and abusing his position?  Is she still her own person with her own role still?  Or can she swap and chose when to be 'professional' and not?

There's always a conflict of interest when you're sleeping with management.  The very fact that they can confide in one another in privately,  and thus influence each others decision by being in such an intimate relationship is a massive factor - hence trust issues.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Absolutely - with connected parties everything has to be transparent but unfortunately given the current corporate governance structure at Norwich that is impossible.  Ward cannot be judge and jury too, but unfortunately that is the position the Board have left her on this one, as she is the most senior executive, and her role on the Board is not subject to control from a defined Chair.  It's as much Ward's fault now, she seems to be good at physically controlling Webber as shown from the video from Saturday, but she sure cannot control him in his intellectual and business actions and she has left herself exposed as far as corporate governance is concerned.  

It is nothing to do with the personalities involved, it is nothing due to the marriage of two of the people concerned; it underlines once again something I have been bleating on about on here for most of this season, a total lack of transparency and corporate governance at the club.  If it isn't sorted PDQ, I don't want to be overly dramatic, but we will have another Derby / Oldham / Bury on our hands.  The Board as a minimum needs to appoint a proper Chair person and a proper CEO ASAP, so that all senior executives and members of the Board are properly accountable for.  To do nothing risks bringing the whole club into disrepute, not just the DoF!

Shefcanary you have absolutely nailed it for me with this post.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Incredibly naive if you believe that the Webber's don't talk shop way beyond their pay grade.

Would that be the full pay grade, or 90% thereof Capt? 

• Haha 1