Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team for Liverpool ..FA Cup

Lets be honest this is a game we don't really need. None of the other relegation clubs are still in the cup including ,crucially Brentford , who will have a free week ahead of next Saturday's must win

We know we cant beat Liverpool with our best team so the best we can do is use the game to give minutes to people who need them...

Krul

Byram   Zimmerman Kabak Giannoulis

Sorenson

Rupp               Lees-Melou

Dowell

Tzolis         Placheta

Just hit it over the top and let a couple of quick players chase it on the break.....

Way I see it is we might as well give it a go with our best 11, nothing to lose because we're going down anyway. 

We aren't going to win, because we just don't beat Liverpool, especially away, so we aren't going to win the cup, but it doesn't matter because we aren't staying up either.

Edited by alex_ncfc

Somewhat sadly given how far we are in the season our team still needs to settle and players learn to play as a team. So I’d start with our best 11 and then if (when) we are behind take off Pukki, Norman and Hanley to give them a rest.

id like us to go for it as a win here and continuing in the cup could be our only joy from the season

Put out our best 11. 
They need as much game time together as possible. Last night some of them looked like strangers. 
Go for it and get some confidence

I can see both arguments and I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

In any case, what we think doesn't matter - it's what Smith decides to do. And I think he'll stick with McLean and Gilmour and the current tactics.

Before last night I might have agreed with you, but since relegation now looks almost certain, we might as well play our best team and see what happens. The trouble is, I'm not sure we have a best team.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 1

Go for it, best team available, you never know.  And if/when it goes pear-shaped, rest key players (Pukki, Normann...). 

If I'm not mistaken, Liverpool have the Carabao final to deal with tomorrow, just a few days before us. Hopefully a nice & draining extra-time & penalties, not sure if it's better for them to win or lose from a NCFC perspective! It would be great for club morale to come away from Anfield with a win. No Chewie Luis, surely they have at least one eye on that shortening gap to Man City. We really owe them a beating after around a quarter-century since the last one when Gossy píssed on their parade. Now that was a satisfying win!

And for no particular reason:

GK  Krul

LWB  Dimi

CB  Gibson

CB  Kabak (if fit)

CB  Sorensen 

RWB  Byram

CM  Rupp 

CM  Lees-Melou 

AM  Dowell

ST  Tzolis

ST  Pukki

This game is a distraction we could have done without. If it had been against a lesser opponent, it would have been a better preparation for Saturday's season decider - a decider for Brentford as well as us  - they win and they pull clear and we are stuck on the bottom, we win and pull them into the relegation battle and bring us into the fight.

As it is the underlying feeling is that we will lose because it is Liverpool and even if we manage to win, it will have taken a huge effort to do so. So play a game to give minutes to those who need it and fringe players. Oh and Gilmour who needs to step up and show us why he was brought here. 

Gunn

Byram  Sorensen Zimmermann Giannoulis

Dowell     Rupp   Gilmour    Placheta                               

Rowe  Tzolis

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This game is a distraction we could have done without. If it had been against a lesser opponent, it would have been a better preparation for Saturday's season decider - a decider for Brentford as well as us  - they win and they pull clear and we are stuck on the bottom, we win and pull them into the relegation battle and bring us into the fight.

As it is the underlying feeling is that we will lose because it is Liverpool and even if we manage to win, it will have taken a huge effort to do so. So play a game to give minutes to those who need it and fringe players. Oh and Gilmour who needs to step up and show us why he was brought here. 

Gunn

Byram  Sorensen Zimmermann Giannoulis

Dowell     Rupp   Gilmour    Placheta                               

Rowe  Tzolis

Excellent selections, should keep them down to four goals by H/T. 

I would maybe rest (i.e drop nicely) Pukki and give Tzolis a run out, with Sargent. Apart from that, the strongest team we can. Normann has never really looked fit enough at this level (though maybe stats say different?) and I would certainly get more game time in his legs. Hanley is a big loss - do we win anything without his leadership?