Sign in to follow this  
TheGunnShow

Quo vadis, Lungi?

Superb result for us, but I have to admit, I can't help but wonder if this has knocked Lungi Sörensen back a bit. Clocked up the most tackles against Everton, was looking composed and calm as ever in defensive midfield tonight and probably thinking "I can now get some quality game time in the position I prefer to play", then gets crocked.

He's always seemed a shade unlucky. Was supposedly doing excellently in pre-season before Skipp came around, then was undercooked due to a period with Denmark U23s (or maybe U21s, can't remember) as it was two weeks away and no pre-season. Skipp was outstanding, so no way back for Lungi, who then distinguished himself at left-back for a bit until Giannoulis was signed.

Then we get Gilmour and Normann in on loan this time, and Lungi gets Covid. Lungi works his way in when they're injured after a game at centre-half where Cristiano Ronaldo got trapped in his pocket and we're all thinking "get him a run of games in his best position". Has a dodgy one in the FA Cup, then gets to speed. And now this.

Let's just hope it's just a tweak and no more. He's deserved a crack, and we were looking much more balanced with him and Lees-Melou beginning to click somewhat.

• Like 4

He was looking good again today, before he had to go off. 

It's a shame he wasn't given a chance next to Normann earlier in the season, whilst PLM was getting up to speed. He has the exact attributes that we've been crying out for all season.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

He was looking good again today, before he had to go off. 

It's a shame he wasn't given a chance next to Normann earlier in the season, whilst PLM was getting up to speed. He has the exact attributes that we've been crying out for all season.

Exactly why I think he should be in ahead of McLean. He's probably our best tackler amongst the central midfielders, he's certainly the most defence-minded, his anticipation makes up for any minor lack of pace here and there and he keeps the ball moving nicely enough. 

Basically, he enables more attack-minded sorts to really play their games. McLean and Lees-Melou just impede on each other, they seem less than the sum of their parts. Lees-Melou seemed happier as he could link play up safe that Lungi was happily a few steps behind. Even with Normann, you can see the box-to-box player itching to get out, but is restrained a shade.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly why I think he should be in ahead of McLean. He's probably our best tackler amongst the central midfielders, he's certainly the most defence-minded, his anticipation makes up for any minor lack of pace here and there and he keeps the ball moving nicely enough. 

Basically, he enables more attack-minded sorts to really play their games. McLean and Lees-Melou just impede on each other, they seem less than the sum of their parts. Lees-Melou seemed happier as he could link play up safe that Lungi was happily a few steps behind. Even with Normann, you can see the box-to-box player itching to get out, but is restrained a shade.

Yes, shame for Sorenson. He had started the game very strongly and had already nicked possession and won a number of tackles in the short time he was on the pitch. 

Smithy said last night that it's a medial ligament injury which should be quick to heal. With no league game for two and a half weeks fingers crossed.

We lost all midfield control after he went off. Despite the win a midfield of PLM snd Kenny won’t win us another premier league game. Sorensen was 2/3 interceptions/tackles in the first 15 mins snd the others just don’t do that. 

if all were fit I’d actually go for Sorensen and Normann. 

• Like 2

Hopefully we could have Sorensen, Normann and Gilmour all back early Feb then. 

One of them has to play the anchor role and Sorensen seems to be the only one who's really disciplined enough to perform it without wandering off (Normann).

Have to say PLM has really stepped up last 2 games. Needs a bit of meat on those spindly legs but capable of getting stuck in too.

3 hours ago, Barry Brockes said:

Smithy said last night that it's a medial ligament injury which should be quick to heal. With no league game for two and a half weeks fingers crossed.

Was that in one of the interviews?

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

As many have speculated, could well be the silver bullet to our CDM problems. 

Hopefully wit a little break, he comes back for Palace fit and raring to go. 

Wonder how a midfield two of Sorensen and Normann would do? 🤔

47 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wonder how a midfield two of Sorensen and Normann would do? 🤔

I can't wait to see this, been waiting for it all season.  I really think if this happens in February, we will coast to safety this year.

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

We lost all midfield control after he went off. Despite the win a midfield of PLM snd Kenny won’t win us another premier league game. Sorensen was 2/3 interceptions/tackles in the first 15 mins snd the others just don’t do that. 

Only listened to the game but that was kind of my take. We started very well but could of been dead and buried after Sorensen had to depart in the first half and indeed until the 2nd half goal. We lost the midfield.

That's to take nothing away from our later performance - you also make your own luck as we did. 

Kenny is fine going forward but not a disciplined CDM.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

If we’re playing 442, Sorensen needs to be in there IMO - we’ve got the extra man up top and we play more direct so it doesn’t matter that he isn’t as technical/good going forward as some of the others. You’re more exposed with only two in the middle, so one of those needs to be able to actually defend. McClean arguably a better choice in a three where you maybe don’t need an out and out defensive midfielder because you’ve got the extra man in there anyway. Personally though, even in a three man midfield, for a team like us scrapping to survive, I’d have Sorensen behind two others.

6 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

They would be a great pairing, it would allow Normann a bit more freedom too

7 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Can't see Sorensen getting in ahead of PLM. I actually think Sorensen will be somewhat down the pecking order when Normann and Gilmour come back in.