Sign in to follow this  
mannings bandy legs

Dean Smith

1 minute ago, fredherring said:

You have two choices 

Attack the team more and appear desperate by saying yeah we need to do business January. 

Or be understated and infer we are looking but we have faith in the players. 

You are unfortunately an absolute imbecile who can't see beyond black and white statements. 

What I can see is that we haven't signed anyone. We needed to get people in immediately (as other clubs are doing). That is a matter of fact. If it changes before West Ham and Everton then i will happily hold my hands up. 

Of course I can see that Smith is going to choose his words carefully (as I have said above if you bothered to read).

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:
#ncfc DS on any incomings? 'We are not close to doing anything. We are just having a look at this stage what is out there.'

This is where I got it from Purple. If Paddy has misquoted him then my apologies to Dean Smith (although I don't believe we are close to doing anything because we are clearly trying to flog Cantwell first and think we should have done something already) 

Jim, apologies to you if that is correctly quoted. But it is an odd thing to admit to, not least because it suggests they hadn't started looking at options before the window started, which would be crazy even if they don't expect to do much business.

And they have already let two players go on loan, which indicates they had already started making decisions about the squad. I suspect Smith was either wording that a bit loosely or being deliberately obtuse.

Sadly I think this probably shows why Webber and Delia went for Dean Smith ... he's a decent, honest man with football in his blood. Having been sacked by his boyhood club he'd have been delighted to have another go with a premier league team (for now!). Let's be honest we are probably the only premier league club who would have offered him a job. Post Villa I bet he would've expected to drop to a championship team with the ambition to be promoted.

The key from Webber's point of view is that makes Smith far more amenable to what the club wants so he will follow the party line and not moan about inheriting a squad which is well below premier league standard and not being given money to buy and have a proper go at staying up (unless we can offload Cantwell and their is time to find a half decent player).

Let's be honest, Frank Lampard may not be a better manager than Smith BUT he has the financial power and status to tell us where we could stick the job. Webber will know It's not a good position when the employee has more strength than the employer.

2 hours ago, fredherring said:

You have two choices 

Attack the team more and appear desperate by saying yeah we need to do business January. 

Or be understated and infer we are looking but we have faith in the players. 

You are unfortunately an absolute imbecile who can't see beyond black and white statements. 

Charm school went well then. What do you gain by posting this sort of stuff ?

Whatever Jim Smith is he most definitely isn't is an absolute imbecile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I wonder if Dean will be here next season?.....

Russel Martin as 1st team Coach. Neil Adams as Dof F

1 minute ago, percy varco said:

Russel Martin as 1st team Coach. Neil Adams as Dof F

...and Stu Webber as Team coach driver....

• Haha 1

I bet our players look great in training to be fair, in that environment they won't have a team of big, super fast athletes chasing them down, knocking them off the ball and stopping them from playing.

It's why i always roll my eyes when players talk about how good Gilmour is in training, it's like well yeah obviously in that environment none of our players physical limitations are on show because they're playing against each other/nobody. 

Idah's a bit different, in his case he hasn't got the acceleration and natural instincts to find space nor the technique to go past players but again it's the same issue in that he won't face that problem in training so of course he looks good when he can just finish chances unchallenged. 

It's what these players look like in a game situation that matters and what we should be judging them on, not thinking "oh we don't need a signing because this player has been looking good in an environment completely different to the one he usually struggles in" and I know that's just because we can't afford to upgrade the position, but let's not kid ourselves that what we have is good enough based on how well they play against each other in practise scenario's because it isn't

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

As pathetic as we have been somehow we are only 3 points adrift.

With a bit of luck and ambition we can still do this.

Did you stand up too quickly when you posted this?? Sit back down slowly and breathe through your nose and out through your mouth….

Better??

32 minutes ago, astro said:

The more Dean Smith speaks, the more he sounds like a ruddy politician!

...and Webber doesn't?

2 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Just seen origi in Costa Riverside. Surely going to CR to meet someone 😏🙄

I’ve just seen Elvis in our local chip shop 

• Haha 1