Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Liz Truss.. The next Prime Minister!

I think that, even allowing for the Express being a rabid right-wing rag, for them to describe Truss as a 'political heavyweight' shows just how detached from reality they are.

They really should stick to their classic melodramatic weather forecasts for the front page, at least they have some entertainment value. 😂

For the record I wouldn't rule out Truss as the next PM but if it happens that will have nothing to do with her being  a 'political heavyweight' and everything to do with the fact that Tory Party members and MPs seem to have developed a taste for electing dim-witted buffoons as their party leader - arguably it actually worked for them in 2019 but I think the electorate are very unlikely to go along with it a second time given how well and truly Johnson has been rumbled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

They really should stick to their classic melodramatic weather forecasts for the front page, at least they have some entertainment value. 😂

Not forgetting the Princess Diana conspiracy theories. 

I actually think they'll need a fresh start with a much younger person when Johnson is defenestrated.

Not somebody from the 'old' failed guard tarnished by what went before and mired in a 20th century (18th for Mogg) outlook.

It is going to need a clean sweep The complete removal of Johnsons third raters and the brexiter/ERG.. Truss is a serial failure. A lightweight with a gaff in her at every point. The upcoming Tory civil war will sweep her aside.

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I actually think they'll need a fresh start with a much younger person when Johnson is defenestrated.

Not somebody from the 'old' failed guard tarnished by what went before and mired in a 20th century (18th for Mogg) outlook.

I had wondered the same but this analysis piece is of interest. Shows how she might play to the ERG right.

@RobJames too, in relation to your thoughts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The headlines could be a sub editor's dream.

Ms Truss?

I can see the caricature cartoons now - not PM but SM.

The moot point is whether every deal has been merely to rollover an existing EU Deal. With all the problems that entails. Or an even worse deal. Japan & Australia, Is down to the incompetence of Truss. Or the impossible task she was given. I suspect a bit of both. Either way it doesn't look good. Neither is her conversion to brexit. Just when it is running out of steam. The civil war will be long, and brutal. Who comes out of it on top will not be a shallow and lightweight hopeful.

25 minutes ago, RobJames said:

The moot point is whether every deal has been merely to rollover an existing EU Deal. With all the problems that entails. Or an even worse deal. Japan & Australia, Is down to the incompetence of Truss. Or the impossible task she was given. I suspect a bit of both. Either way it doesn't look good. Neither is her conversion to brexit. Just when it is running out of steam. The civil war will be long, and brutal. Who comes out of it on top will not be a shallow and lightweight hopeful.

Ever thought that this is the time the Tory party fades (or eventually transforms) as per the Whigs...  

There has been this schism going back a couple of centuries. Between the free marketeers. And the protectionists.. Something that highlights the absurdity of PR. As factions will involve themselves in major parties. And seek to influence, and guide them rather than stand what they believe.

The Tory party is constantly mutating, and this particular strain seems only to be seriously dangerous for the poor. 

58 minutes ago, Herman said:

That is a bit scary- back in the day bumping into Jimmy Saville around Roundhay was a regular occurence but I never realised that an innocent trip to The Flying Pizza ran the awful risk of bumping into Liz Truss 😂😂

Leeds United players were also often there but a visit from Liz Truss really would have put everyone off their pizza - fortunately nowadays there are several better and more importantly 'Liz Truss free' pizzerias in Leeds 😊

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

A conservative

So Keir Starmer then. Yeah, I think a lot of people could go for that. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

So Keir Starmer then. Yeah, I think a lot of people could go for that. 

Very little between them, Surf, they could be interchangeable. 

16 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

A conservative

You've got a right wing government, taking over ukip and veering into authoritarian far right territory and you're still not happy because "they raise taxes". 😀

Truss has virtually none of the skills required to actually hold that Tory coalition together. Rock the boat has summed it up perfectly in many ways.

The social conservative and fiscally conservative part of the voting public is probably not as large as we may imagine, even amongst Tory voters, it does however dominate the membership.

Amongst people who vote Tory there's also a strong, small state, socially liberal section of the conservative voting block, especially in the South and South West. Then there's the more one nation Tories who are socially conservative and want spending. They are concentrated in the old red wall.

Truss can probably appeal to the first by her tilt to the ERG, but she probably can't reconsile that with the other two element as Boris did for about a year, partially because they are mutually exclusive and partly as the conservative party has very little political capital left in the bank for her to buy voter good will. She doesn't have Brexit as a banner to rally the party or voters around and she doesn't have the personality of Boris which kept him out of hot water for a while.

All political parties in first past the post systems tend towards internal instability after too much time in government or when they are doing very badly. The two party system basically ensures that they cannot remain ideologically coherent, and unless a party is winning easily, has an issue to rally around or is just united by a hatred of the previous administration they eventually collapse for a period of time until a new coalition is found.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1