Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Media coverage, still shocking

2 hours ago, graz said:

The BBC are clueless about Norwich. Watched the Match of the Day highlights today. The commentator stated that Tzolis was in for Normann and Rupp replaces Rasicha 😆. Obviously no idea about our squad.

And they get paid to be that ignorant. That's what angers me. Not that they are. That they're paid for it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's funny, the Everton and Villa fans who are two of my business contacts are very complimentary of how Norwich go about their business and their financing. Mind you, the Everton fan was actually a football coach for quite some time, but I can't remember what level he coached at.

Mind you, Everton have spent hundreds of millions under several different managers over the last ten years with a squillionaire owner, and it's not always worked. Although I must say I do like the impressions of their new stadium.

Must actually know something about football then and not just be giant pr*cks

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Must actually know something about football then and not just be giant pr*cks

He did, he used to work in sports translations and was also a football coach. Usually get some good footy convos going on Skype when time allows. I've not tried speaking this time since their derby defeat though...

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Have you ever conversed with fans of other teams? Football snobbery is rife these days. If we're not spunking £50m per player we're beneath them

I’m not thinking of them so much as the media. You’d think they’d be constantly looking for a new angle to make their content interesting, instead of recycling the same tired stories about the big six.

TBF, most football fans I speak to don’t have a problem with us but I suspect that’s partly because if they support a PL team, they see us as a sure-fire 6 points a season. ☹️

4 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I don't think he was ever offered the job so it's more a case of us deciding he wasn't right.

I was trying to be ironic. I guess I failed! 😂👍

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Lianne Sanderson has just trotted out the tired old line on Sky that we don't deserve to be in the EPL because we didn't throw money down the drain like Fulham.  It would be good if people pulled these pundits up on this, but no it doesn't meet the agenda.  Stuff 'em, we'll stay up to push it down their throats.

I can quite imagine their news story following that comment was about the possible demise of Derby County. The media don’t give a fudge - they just need sensationalism. 

I said it before but we are a desperately unfashionable club. We are as “off brand” as it gets for the premier league. I want us to stay up to spite them, frankly. 

The crocodile tears these pundits came up with on the suggestion of the super league made me sick to be honest. They don’t care about us, and we shouldn’t care about them.

• Like 1

I don't care what they think except for the hypocrisy. When the European Super League was mooted, all those pundits were tutting, "Isn't it terrible? It's all about money. We need clubs to be part of their community. Blah blah blah."

Then, when a club tries to break into the cartel without a dodgy billionaire owner, and is part of its community, the same pundits say, "Isn't it terrible? They don't spend any money. They shouldn't be allowed in the league."

EDIT: @ The Real Buh. Sorry, you must have sent your message while I was typing mine. Seems we think exactly the same about this.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Yet they still seem to want clubs like us to bankrupt ourselves by 'going for it' as if there were no consequences

Ask Bolton and Leeds fans if they enjoyed their experience with financial risk-taking

There don't seem to be any consequences any more, on a personal or national level.  Just borrow & borrow & keep on borrowing ...

The media has always ignored us with a hint of distain, but neutrals have always been fairly ambivalent towards us up until the last few seasons when I've noticed a sudden shift towards dislike. Now I don't agree with this but the media portrayed our last stay in the PL as us giving up, cashing in and cheating the system, the masses have bought into that, believed it and now all seem to be of the opinion that we don't deserve to play in this league because we don't spend the hundreds of millions that they think we're banking for another promotion push. 

For me the boring clubs are all the small monied London teams like Watford, Palace, Brentford, Fulham etc Feels like there's a bit of a media love in with those clubs owing to the fact the media is so London-centric but I find all of those clubs boring and soulless.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

But we’re not try to compete with Derby or Ipswich you clown. 

Your blinkered acceptance that everything is wonderful in the Canary garden is one of the reason we are never taken seriously. 

It always the same with the sycophants at this club. Duh everything is great. Farke is great we are great. Clubs say Farke isn’t great Duh Farke isn’t great. Club says new manager is great Duh new manager is great. And on it and on it goes. 

Ha ha. Derby are in trouble. Ha ha Ipswich are ****. Ha ha if Villa are relegated they are in serious trouble. Duh how can we expect to compete with the likes of Villa if one of our players wants to leave. Duh Duh Duh. 

The club say there’s no offers of investment? The club say we’re not actively seeking investment!!!. Duh we’re a self funding club. Duh the club says we’re special we do it right. Duh we’re relegated again Duh that’s alright because we don’t have multi million pound investors!!!! 

We are a joke! And we are surprised others think so?

Tried meditation?

• Haha 2

It's not just Auntie Beeb who now nothing about us, and care even less. I watched the Newcastle game on Amazon Prime the other night. The team graphic had a picture of Normann above the name Milot Rashica before the game. During the game the camera panned onto the directors and Delia looked like she was dozing. Desperate for another embarrassing DS moment they kept the camera on her for about 30 seconds. The woman is in her 80's for God's sake; she's entitled to be knackered after a trip to Newcastle.

19 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's funny, the Everton and Villa fans who are two of my business contacts are very complimentary of how Norwich go about their business and their financing. Mind you, the Everton fan was actually a football coach for quite some time, but I can't remember what level he coached at.

Mind you, Everton have spent hundreds of millions under several different managers over the last ten years with a squillionaire owner, and it's not always worked. Although I must say I do like the impressions of their new stadium.

Everton board must be ****ting themselves at moment.  Huge amount on the line for them, currently under Rafa they are dropping like a stone. If DCL doesn't return soon to save Rafa, I can see them being below us before long.  

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not thinking of them so much as the media. You’d think they’d be constantly looking for a new angle to make their content interesting, instead of recycling the same tired stories about the big six.

TBF, most football fans I speak to don’t have a problem with us but I suspect that’s partly because if they support a PL team, they see us as a sure-fire 6 points a season. ☹️

Big six dominate the stories because there is so mch more interest in them. In terms of worldwide appeal, people in Nigeria or China have no interest in Norwich.

If they were catering to just the domestic market then maybe there would be some balance. But the brand attracts the numbers, and the big six are the brand. If we dont enhance the brand by spunking money left right and centre they dont care.

Well the good old BBC eh?.....I've just watched (or washed) the FA Cup tie Buxton v Morecambe. I appreciate the really inclement weather with rain tearing down which was affecting the game....But...their camera lenses were continually covered in droplets and were fogging over making it so frustrating to watch.....In this day and age and maybe 'hey let's see what the weather's doing match-day,' you would at least think they would put up a gazebo or some type of rain covers over their outside live broadcast camera lenses?....Basics....basics.....Licence fee?.....pffft.....

I also had BT sport on watching the Hammers v Chelski game on my Chromebook.....How I larfed when the Blues got beat.....chortle.....  

I have no interest in the media. It now has so many column inches, hours of airtime and precious clicks to fill or hit, they now spend more time making up the news and willing for stories to happen.

It even pervades shows like Look East who spent nearly 10 minutes 'reporting' on whether we should have a lockdown for Christmas by asking voxpops what they thought. That's not news - that's guesswork and wishing for something more to happen. 

I detest things like the transfer rumour threads - 85% BS by the end of the window and a waste of time reading them.

I am quite happy that I have a well-run, community-minded club whom I can loyally support wherever we are in the league. I am old enough to not knee-jerk when we lose a game because I can remember a better time when newspapers weren't hounding out managers after non-winning period to agitate a situation.

So there.

Clearly we are certainly not a joke. We are probably one of the best clubs to follow in terms of exciting times and pure enjoyment for about 30 years now. The media are one phenomenon. Their bias against us is inbuilt and personally I find it a great motivator. As for other people,  fans, as someone who has lived outside of Norfolk for over 35 years, I’m constantly met with respect for our club. I could give numerous examples, football fans intrinsically respect clubs like ours. Last Sunday I went to a local bar in east London, locals always well sozzled and blunt, banter, abuse swearing. I tried to follow the football, tv, keep a low profile, but eventually an Irish chap spotted me - who do you support? I answered. Fist out, fist pump- nods of acceptance .