cambridgeshire canary

What was Sargent thinking?

On 17/10/2021 at 00:58, Dean Coneys boots said:

Sargent is cam jam reincarnated- lots of work, huge effort. But no end product 

Were you at the play off final?

No end product? Pretty valuable end product that day anyway. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

I think if he watched a video of Vardy goals on loop for a week it might help with Power and Precision. His effort had neither. He’ll learn from it.

One hopes. Some players never get beyond a certain level. Others can keep getting better. Remember Ronaldo in his first season at Man Utd? He was so frustrating having no end-product most Man Utd fans wanted to cut their losses on him. Then look what happened.

Of course one never knows if ability has plateaued or is still an upward trajectory

12 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

One hopes. Some players never get beyond a certain level. Others can keep getting better. Remember Ronaldo in his first season at Man Utd? He was so frustrating having no end-product most Man Utd fans wanted to cut their losses on him. Then look what happened.

Of course one never knows if ability has plateaued or is still an upward trajectory

Only in hindsight,  and there's a few  expert revisionists  on here. Pay them no mind, if we were second in the EPL  they'd be complaining  that we weren't top. It's just how some people  are wired.

• Like 1

What's crazy is how Americans are aligned with being super confident, almost arrogant, sportsmen.  Are we sure Sargent hasn't got Suffolk roots? 🙂

He has a lot of good qualities that right now, are quite important to us. I think he gave the Brighton defenders more to think about; decent movement, diagonal runs, shielding the ball, decent enough in the air, competing physically. He doesn't look like he's going to score 10 goals this season unfortunately but it's funny how quickly confidence changes once you've scored one or two.

This may be a very controversial view, but Sargent reminds me a lot of a young Harry Kane. His movement, energy and positional awareness is extremely good. He is not yet a striker. His miss on Saturday was about as bad as several I saw Kane miss at a similar age (at least one in a Norwich shirt) but actually if you look at it again, it's not quite the open goal we all thought it was at the time. Those saying he could have taken a touch are completely wrong - he was as surprised as anyone at the error by Sanchez and was on the back foot - if he'd tried to move the ball forward Burn would have caught him and forced him wide. From his positioning when the ball squirmed loose he would have had to hit the ball very true to get it past the covering Duffy, which of course he didn't. It was a very good chance, but hardly a tap in.

His earlier turn and shot (not even featured on the Sky highlights) was superb, and was on target before the deflection. Pukki's two misses (only one of which was shown) were at least equally as bad as Sargent's two, but no one seems to be mentioning that we should probably expect our most experienced goalscorer to get at least one of those.

Sargent has the potential to be a real player.

As an aside, I wonder if Brighton fans are equally hammering Maupay for missing the tap in at the end which would have won the game? That was the easiest chance of the match by far.

On the media subject - we may well have a complex about this as Norwich fans but Sky's highlights are in no way representative of the game. They are edited to show every decent Brighton chance and only two of ours. Any neutral will conclude that we were not really in the game. Why? Is there an agenda or are we just being paranoid?

On 16/10/2021 at 19:58, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well when your marquee attacking signing is somebody who scored 15 goals in 83 games in Germany, and was just relegated from a weaker league, are you expecting them to be any good? 

That said, Armstrong is yet to get going at Southampton, in fact was dropped today after 1 goal in 7, I'm not sure there was an obvious signing from the league below this time.

So do you think that with the goals to games ratio info plus other stats that Farke has bought him for nothing other than goals??? 

37 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

His earlier turn and shot (not even featured on the Sky highlights) was superb, and was on target before the deflection. Pukki's two misses (only one of which was shown) were at least equally as bad as Sargent's two, but no one seems to be mentioning that we should probably expect our most experienced goalscorer to get at least one of those.

I like Sargeant and I think he adds a lot of tempo and energy to our front line. I definitely think he showed a lot more sharpness, and some good turns and ability on the ball, but he certainly doesn't seem to be a natural finisher. I'd love to be proven wrong, but his record and what I've seen so far this season puts him more in the Heskey than the Kane role for me.

Also, I really think you're overstretching if you think Pukki's misses were anywhere near as bad as Sargeant's. The one he hooked wide was a tough chance under pressure from the keeper; I would expect him to score it given his abilities, but I don't think it was a terrible miss either.

3 hours ago, Making Plans said:

What was he thinking?

He was thinking "****, I musn't miss this because I'll look a right prat if I do"

A bit harsh, but probably not a million miles off.  Clearly a huge deal to him to be presented with that chance - and a bit of a rabbit in the headlights moment was the result.   He is a bright person and will learn from it.

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

A bit harsh, but probably not a million miles off.  Clearly a huge deal to him to be presented with that chance - and a bit of a rabbit in the headlights moment was the result.   He is a bright person and will learn from it.

An interesting stat on The Athletic is that as regarding scoring percentage Sargents chance is rated at 14% whereas Pukki chance was 42%. Pukki missed the easier chance and yet the spotlight is on Josh.

I wonder if they still have the receipt for the SoccerBot? and if that can replicate the collective sigh of approx 26k+ people when you miss what would appear to be an easy goal. 

im actually sure most of use wouldnt have made the chance, let alone scored it, but then again we arent on X000's a week to do so. 

1 hour ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

An interesting stat on The Athletic is that as regarding scoring percentage Sargents chance is rated at 14% whereas Pukki chance was 42%. Pukki missed the easier chance and yet the spotlight is on Josh.

Don't understand that. Pukki was very close to goal and put the ball the wrong side of the keeper but the keeper did all the right things. Sargent was admittedly 22 yards out but the goal was completely gaping. In a purely technical sense a striker at close to top level has to be able to score an open goal albeit there is clearly a confidence thing at the moment in the team in general and we need to move on and encourage our young players like Sargent.

4 hours ago, Greavsy said:

I wonder if they still have the receipt for the SoccerBot? and if that can replicate the collective sigh of approx 26k+ people when you miss what would appear to be an easy goal. 

Now that is a cracking idea!

Got me thinking if there's a SexBot spin off that can recreate the collective sigh of 1 person.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Which shows why statistics are pretty useless in isolation.

9 hours ago, tea total said:

So do you think that with the goals to games ratio info plus other stats that Farke has bought him for nothing other than goals??? 

This thread isn't an anti-Sargent thread.

I specifically state that we should have signed Toney instead of Hugill.

As for whether "Farke has bought him", I'm pretty sure that this is not how it works in modern football with a head coach model outside of League Two.

But I'd have thought a proven goalscorer would have been seen as essential considering our lack of goals in this league last time and with Pukki being 32 in March.