Thumbbass

Stuff you've thought of but it's too dull for conversation

That reminds me. People who park in the space next to you when the car park is half empty. Should have to pay for my shopping as punishment for annoying me

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Periodically getting your huge collection of pens out and seeing which ones have dried out, chucking them, and returning the good ones to the tin where you'll do the same thing again in a few months time. Not that you'll ever need that many pens in your entire life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Periodically getting your huge collection of pens out and seeing which ones have dried out, chucking them, and returning the good ones to the tin where you'll do the same thing again in a few months time. Not that you'll ever need that many pens in your entire life.

You must be channelling me somehow 😅...a job that has been on my mind (not this time on an actual list) to do. My excuse is having to go through everything in order to throw out for a house move. The shallow wicker basket from the bureau has sat next to me for a week on the table. I did think about it during our second half on Saturday but have just gone through them now🙂. Possibly 200 pens and pencils and about 20 thrown away.

I did think when I read your post that (at least) you were sadder than me, because I might go though them once every couple of years. But No!...it turns out I'm sadder because there's stuff in that basket from over 50 years ago that I haven't thrown away. And... moreover, if a pen works then it definitely gets kept😂. Crazy.

I must be a throwback to someone like De Gaulle (or something like that) ...make do and mend, re-use... and all that.

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sonyc said:

You must be channelling me somehow 😅...a job that has been on my mind (not this time on an actual list) to do. My excuse is having to go through everything in order to throw out for a house move. The shallow wicker basket from the bureau has sat next to me for a week on the table. I did think about it during our second half on Saturday but have just gone through them now🙂. Possibly 200 pens and pencils and about 20 thrown away.

I did think when I read your post that (at least) you were sadder than me, because I might go though them once every couple of years. But No!...it turns out I'm sadder because there's stuff in that basket from over 50 years ago that I haven't thrown away. And... moreover, if a pen works then it definitely gets kept😂. Crazy.

I must be a throwback to someone like De Gaulle (or something like that) ...make do and mend, re-use... and all that.

(Did de Gaulle say that?) 

It’s all about the circular economy now. Can’t you reuse the failed pens as straws, for firing blow darts or as a home for small insects?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

(Did de Gaulle say that?) 

It’s all about the circular economy now. Can’t you reuse the failed pens as straws, for firing blow darts or as a home for small insects?

De Gaulle - A very oblique reference I must accept, almost to be unfathomable on reflection!

Famously, he stated "La France, C'est moi". And my point really related to the kind of mentality of the French in the late 60s, 70s (and even well into the 80s and 90s) who would rarely change their cars, be loyal to French brands in most things. It was (is) a conservative country and especially in rural areas, people would not change their ways. It translated I believe to folk doing what they could (saving water, being self sufficient by growing their own, not replacing stuff etc). That's been my experience of talking with (older) folk too when in France. In some ways too it was economic necessity and what those who lived in the countryside did. A rural idyll? Not sure. 

But, that 1970s version of France (especially) is changing quickly.

Anyway, as you'll see this is too long a reference to make in my original post but I have at least tried to explain my thinking. I was being a tad poetic I guess.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Raptor said:

That reminds me. People who park in the space next to you when the car park is half empty. Should have to pay for my shopping as punishment for annoying me

I'll add people who park in parent and child spaces when they clearly do not have a kid with them. So annoying. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2022 at 14:00, The Raptor said:

If we’re going to start on people’s driving habits:

- Drivers who sit in the middle lane. Even worse are those who sit in lane three on a four lane motorway. My blood pressure is rising as I type this 😡😡😡

- People who don’t follow lane markings on roundabouts but do their best to drive in a straight line.

- Motorway drivers who overtake you and then slow down, forcing you to then overtake them. Extra points if they do it again a few minutes later.

- Motorway drivers who catch you up in a faster lane, then sit on your shoulder, matching your speed so you are forced to brake if you need to move past a slower vehicle in your lane.

- Drivers who sit in the middle of the road at a junction blocking cars behind them turning the other way.

- Drivers who don’t realise that if they have their front side lights on, that doesn’t mean their rear lights are in, so are barely visible in twilight or fog (obviously dependent on the model of car). Why is this even possible?

- Ditherers at junctions, roundabouts especially. They end up sticking out into the road as they can’t resist edging out every few seconds.

I could go on… I used to drive 25,000+ miles a year, mainly for work. I must have become less tolerant during lockdown because it I had to do it now, I think I would self-combust.

…. and breath …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with every single one of them. I never let out the people that stick their noses out of junctions. They can sod off with their impatience.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

I agree with every single one of them. I never let out the people that stick their noses out of junctions. They can sod off with their impatience.

👏👏👏

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

- Drivers who don’t realise that if they have their front side lights on, that doesn’t mean their rear lights are in, so are barely visible in twilight or fog (obviously dependent on the model of car). Why is this even possible?

Drivers that use rear fog lights, despite me being able to see the tail lights of a car 500 yards in front of them, Grrr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

Drivers that use rear fog lights, despite me being able to see the tail lights of a car 500 yards in front of them, Grrr

Hands up. I have done this, purely by mistake. My old Mazda had switches at knee height. Easy to turn on getting into the cramped front seat. I couldn't figure why everyone was flashing me.😳

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

Hands up. I have done this, purely by mistake. My old Mazda had switches at knee height. Easy to turn on getting into the cramped front seat. I couldn't figure why everyone was flashing me.😳

Was probably me!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

Yep

Just seen someone wearing a Christmas jumper. Surely that is unacceptable on the 16th of November? Or am I just grumpy?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Just seen someone wearing a Christmas jumper. Surely that is unacceptable on the 16th of November? Or am I just grumpy?

Right by me Raptor, for me, if you must wear one, it has to be the 25th December ONLY!

On 14/11/2022 at 15:28, The Raptor said:

IMG-20221114-WA0000.jpeg

As a trolley boy of the 90's I'd see that as a challenge. These were the days before those restraining straps, just you, a stack of trolleys and the playful camber of the tarmac. These were the heady days of trolley collection. 

I hit so many cars. Not sorry. 

• Haha 3

On 14/11/2022 at 16:55, Nuff Said said:

If we’re going to start on people’s driving habits:

- Drivers who sit in the middle lane. Even worse are those who sit in lane three on a four lane motorway. My blood pressure is rising as I type this 😡😡😡

- People who don’t follow lane markings on roundabouts but do their best to drive in a straight line.

- Motorway drivers who overtake you and then slow down, forcing you to then overtake them. Extra points if they do it again a few minutes later.

- Motorway drivers who catch you up in a faster lane, then sit on your shoulder, matching your speed so you are forced to brake if you need to move past a slower vehicle in your lane.

- Drivers who sit in the middle of the road at a junction blocking cars behind them turning the other way.

- Ditherers at junctions, roundabouts especially. They end up sticking out into the road as they can’t resist edging out every few seconds.

I could go on… I used to drive 25,000+ miles a year, mainly for work. I must have become less tolerant during lockdown because it I had to do it now, I think I would self-combust.

…. and breath …

My biggest small pet peeve when driving is when I’m wanting to pull out on a roundabout and waiting for a car to come by as it’s coming across me, only for it to turn off at my junction at the last second, without any indication. Probably happens every other journey!

The size and shine of the red pepper is always the determining factor when choosing a multi colour 3 pack.

Always choose the most expensive-to-assemble meal deal for maximum value. Clearly the value for money tastes better to me than actual food I like to eat.

I can categorically confirm that I have never grated cheddar cheese without dishing myself a couple of mouthfuls.

Glad I got all that off my chest.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Always choose the most expensive-to-assemble meal deal for maximum value. Clearly the value for money tastes better to me than actual food I like to eat.

To paraphrase someone (Kate Moss?) nothing tastes as good as free. A similar thing is eating stuff I don’t want because it’s free.

I do all the things in a car that people are moaning about 😂 

My sister lives in Cornwall. When she drives here with her husband they swap drivers near Thetford because he can't cope with the stress. He's very judgemental though. Even expects people to signal at roundabouts! 

• Haha 1

Am I the only person in the country who doesn't get Ant and Dec? Their contrived ****ty scripted jokes  that they struggle to read off the autocue, make me want to stick soldering irons in their eyes. Even with soldering irons in their eyes, theyd still be able to see the punchlines coming 20 seconds before they do. They're essentially just Christmas cracker jokes, badly delivered, in irritating Geordie packaging.

Theyre just not remotely funny or entertaining, theyre a pair of talentless chancers who have made a career out of being utterly devoid of actual personality.

The only way I would ever watch them through choice is if there were lions, sharks, snipers or grenades involved. Any combo is fine. I'd be delighted with the quadruple.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 3