I still feel the club missed out big time by letting him slip through our fingers , he scores , he creates , for another 4 or so million more than sergeant ,who does neither of these things , but sergeants good in the air maybe that's why farke bought him .

5 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

I still feel the club missed out big time by letting him slip through our fingers , he scores , he creates , for another 4 or so million more than sergeant ,who does neither of these things , but sergeants good in the air maybe that's why farke bought him .

Thanks for telling us again, maybe you could say the same thing tomorrow in another thread too. 

1 minute ago, greendoor said:

Thanks for telling us again, maybe you could say the same thing tomorrow in another thread too. 

Yeah good idea , I could make it a weekly thing.

In a comparison of the two, Sargent comes out top repeatedly 

Who's the full international? Sargent

Who's the guy with top flight experience? Sargent

Who is the younger? Sargent

Who has by far the better statistics when it comes to team work, work rate etc? Sargent

I'd have loved to sign Armstrong, but to say Sargent doesn't score or assist isn't true and that Armstrong will do it in the Premier League just because he was prolific in the championship doesn't always work out. Take a look at Tammy Abraham and Benik Afobe. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

14 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Did he though?

£15m for Armstrong +add ons. He'll also command a bigger wage.

Sargent was €11m is £9.3m. You are looking at a difference of £6m+add ons plus likely larger wages.

Ultimately, we don't know why he didn't come to us. It may have been that Blackburn said he could speak to us and Southampton and he chose them first. It could be that by that time we had moved on.

In fact we know we had. The idiot sports "journo" of the Sun responded to a fellow NCFC fan when asked if Norwich were still genuinely interested in Armstrong, as a result of him continually saying we were in for him and it was close, his response? "Well, their offer is still on the table."

All BS. Sounds like we put in our best offers for players like that a while ago. Only time will tell if he is good enough and value for money for £15m or whether he is the latest version of Hooper, who can look half decent at Championship level, great in the SPL but struggle at anything above that.

Just now, chicken said:

Ultimately, we don't know why he didn't come to us. 

I mean yes we do.

1. We don't spend more than £10m on any one player

2. Having sold Ings, Southampton are in a position to afford this and offer significantly higher wages than we could. 

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

In a comparison of the two, Sargent comes out top repeatedly 

Who's the full international? Sargent

Who's the guy with top flight experience? Sargent

Who is the younger? Sargent

Who has by far the better statistics when it comes to team work, work rate etc? Sargent

I'd have loved to sign Armstrong, but to say Sargent doesn't score or assist isn't true and that Armstrong will do it in the Premier League just because he was prolific in the championship doesn't always work out. Take a look at Tammy Abraham and Benik Afobe. 

Obviously, if you compare random facts to fit an agenda of supporting Sargent!

I'm going to have a go, and see comes out on top....

Who has the longer name - Armstrong 

Who's the guy who's played for more clubs? Armstrong 

Who's the older? - Armstrong 

Who has the better statistics when it comes to being first out of the tunnel for the second half? Armstrong

In all seriousness, Armstrong is a terrific player and I'd love to have signed him. But Sargent could be equally as good, we just don't know yet. 

Armstrong, incidentally, does have top flight experience. Albeit very little! 

For less money we have signed one of the most promising attacking youngsters in Europe, and a 21 year old hard working striker with top flight experience in Germany who by Armstrong's age (24 I think?) could be an equally good player, and signed an attacking winger that performed not far off the stats of Bailey who Villa just paid £25 million for, and probably kept our wage bill down compared to what Armstrong would probably be asking for.

I'm sure Armstrong would have been a great signing, but he's not worth £25 million to us when we can invest the money more wisely like we have done

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Obviously, if you compare random facts to fit an agenda of supporting Sargent!

I'm going to have a go, and see comes out on top....

Who has the longer name - Armstrong 

Who's the guy who's played for more clubs? Armstrong 

Who's the older? - Armstrong 

Who has the better statistics when it comes to being first out of the tunnel for the second half? Armstrong

In all seriousness, Armstrong is a terrific player and I'd love to have signed him. But Sargent could be equally as good, we just don't know yet. 

Armstrong, incidentally, does have top flight experience. Albeit very little! 

Actually these "random facts" are exactly what persuaded Stuart Webber to part with quite a lot of cold hard cash for a player who actually has a lot going for him.

But don't let facts get in the way of your ****ty joke.

Some thoughts:

1. I am not sure he went for £15M as it appears that this was the net cash settlement with Obafemi (vlaued at £6M) going the other way. It looks like Obafemi is not thrilled by this prospect, which may force Southampton to cough up the extra cash. Certainly Blackburn were adamant that they would not sell for less than £20M given the 40% sell on clause to Newcastle.

2. He is completely unproven in the EPL. Many a highly valued EFL striker has struggled with the step up (Tammy Abraham, Che Adams, Neal Maupay, Ollie McBurnie, Jordan Rhodes, Karlan Grant). The main exception has been Ollie Watkins. Sargent is clearly a risk too, but perhaps less so given his Bundesliga experience and much lower fee.

3. He is only 5'8". He would need blistering pace to make it in the EPL. Put another way, I can think of very few short strikers that have made it at the top level in England (Michael Owen, Tony Cottee).

4. Perhaps most importantly, his game is very similar to Pukki who would still expect to play at least 70 minutes of very game if fit. Whilst this would make sense in terms of continuity, it would mean have £15M-£20M sitting on the bench. A club like Norwich simply cant afford for this as we need to maximise the quality of the starting 11.

Edited by Cerberus

39 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

"£4m or so" only reflects the difference in the transfer fee though.

If Sargent is on £25k a week, and Armstrong is on £50k a week (complete guesses, but probably fair ones) then that's an extra £5.2m over four years.

We are probably left needing our Pukki successor, but Sargent is our Hugill upgrade, its still an ugprade (and that's coming from me, the infamous Sargent basher).

I'm more worried about the bottom half of the pitch as we probably have enough goals in midfield now, as long as we keep hold of Cantwell. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

He also didn’t want to come here. It’s Glenn Murray to Brighton all over again. 

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I mean yes we do.

1. We don't spend more than £10m on any one player

2. Having sold Ings, Southampton are in a position to afford this and offer significantly higher wages than we could. 

I mean no we don't.

1. We already have, and it is widely reported that our offer for him was more than £10m.
2. Having sold Buendia, when we put our offer in for Armstrong, we also had money. Wages wise we'll never truly "know" we can only assume that Southampton being an established PL side, will have the finances to offer higher wages. I think that's a relative assumption.

But there are still too many unknowns. We may have put an offer in, and like it would appear our club does, the player may have been informed and told that it had been turned down. His response may have been like Aarons' to some links - "Meh, not bothered, would rather go elsewhere to be honest."

We just don't know. We don't know if Southampton offered more money full stop or whether they offered more money up front, or more money in realistic add ons etc. We rarely find any of these things out for sure.

EG:
Our offer:
£10m now, £5m in installments and up to £5m in add ons of which include; 30 appearances internationally, an appearance at a major international tournament, European qualification proper (not qualifying etc), Champions league qualification proper etc.

Southampton offer:
£15m up front, the rest in add ons including retaining premier league status, 40 appearances for the club, 20 goals for the club etc etc.

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Actually these "random facts" are exactly what persuaded Stuart Webber to part with quite a lot of cold hard cash for a player who actually has a lot going for him.

But don't let facts get in the way of your ****ty joke.

Calm down, love. Only a bit of light hearted fun. 

If your going to claim statistics, then goals and assists for a striker / forward player would be a far more appropriate yardstick. To which Armstrong's record is far superior. But in any case, very difficult to compare. 

I'm happy with Sargent btw. But If he was our first choice I imagine he'd have been signed with Rashica. The fact he wasn't, suggests Armstrong or another, was first choice. And it looks like we weren't prepared to pay what Southampton were. 

44 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

I don't 🤷‍♂️ Armstrong is older and had one good season in his career..... Last season in the 2nd tier. 

The fun thing in this situation is we don’t have to hypothesise, a bit like the Ajer deal. Southampton struggle to score and Brentford inevitably ship a ton of goals then it will look very astute business. 

I view both as a similar standard to Pukki and Gibson, therefore not a marked improvement as so unlikely to provide a whole lot more than what we have. That’s too much of a gamble to throw that money at. What more,  we sign those two and there’s no money too PLM or Tzolis.

Adam Armstrong has done fellow Geordie's Alan Shearer's career in reverse.

Shearer went from Southampton to Blackburn to Newcastle.

Armstrong has gone from Newcastle, to Blackburn to Southampton.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I don't 🤷‍♂️ Armstrong is older and had one good season in his career..... Last season in the 2nd tier. 

Armstrong's only 24 , but hopefully I'm wrong about sarge.

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

Armstrong's only 24 , but hopefully I'm wrong about sarge.

24 is a bigger number than 21mate 😏

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

If your going to claim statistics, then goals and assists for a striker / forward player would be a far more appropriate yardstick. To which Armstrong's record is far superior. But in any case, very difficult to compare. 

I'm happy with Sargent btw. But If he was our first choice I imagine he'd have been signed with Rashica. The fact he wasn't, suggests Armstrong or another, was first choice. And it looks like we weren't prepared to pay what Southampton were. 

According to the Sun reporter, our offer for Armstrong was never withdrawn and was still on the table up until he was sold to Southampton.

That suggests to me that we would have signed him if he had become available to our offer. In other words, we may have been in for both. Something that seems to escape some folks.

However, it may also have signalled the end of other players involvement with our club. We wouldn't spend £15m on a player to sit on the bench. We can't afford that. He would have been signed to take that role from Pukki. And Idah would be where? This then adds up to the suggestion that when we put in our bid, Idah was mentioned as being a possible option as part of the deal.

The links to Sargent started and then stopped, the first link was back at the start of the transfer window, not long after we had signed Rashica.

Above all else, I don't think Webber or Farke operate on this old school level of having a single primary target for each area. At least, as a club, we are rarely in a position where we can name a single player who is exactly what we need and be able to go out there and spend a bit more than everyone else to land them. Our squad was just too thin at the start of the summer.

56 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Or that Werder didn’t want to accept our offer until it became clearer no one would offer more.

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

There's always the notion that they decided to ask Rashica for the lowdown on Sargent and decided that Rashica gave them a character reference / skills reference on Sargent that was worth the push.

Much as I’d have liked to see him here, spending 15+ million on someone to sit on the bench and watch Pukki play doesn’t make much sense. 

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Or that Werder didn’t want to accept our offer until it became clearer no one would offer more.

Entirely plausible. 

There were rumours of Leverkusen bidding.. perhaps that forced our hand. Maybe we left an offer on the table under Werders valuatuon but upped it when Leverkusen became interested. 

Who knows... But if i was to guess, I think Armstrong at £10 million was our prime target. 

53 minutes ago, chicken said:

According to the Sun reporter, our offer for Armstrong was never withdrawn and was still on the table up until he was sold to Southampton.

That suggests to me that we would have signed him if he had become available to our offer. In other words, we may have been in for both. Something that seems to escape some folks.

However, it may also have signalled the end of other players involvement with our club. We wouldn't spend £15m on a player to sit on the bench. We can't afford that. He would have been signed to take that role from Pukki. And Idah would be where? This then adds up to the suggestion that when we put in our bid, Idah was mentioned as being a possible option as part of the deal.

The links to Sargent started and then stopped, the first link was back at the start of the transfer window, not long after we had signed Rashica.

Above all else, I don't think Webber or Farke operate on this old school level of having a single primary target for each area. At least, as a club, we are rarely in a position where we can name a single player who is exactly what we need and be able to go out there and spend a bit more than everyone else to land them. Our squad was just too thin at the start of the summer.

I don't think we'd have signed both. If we could've got Armstrong back in June / July for a fee nearer £10 million I think we'd have him here now and not Sargent. But is all academic. We have a decent prospect in Sargent, and a player than appears to offer something different to what we had. 

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Armstrong can play wide right and wide left, and score from those positions.

Last season he played primarily up top.

But the season before that he scored 5 goals in 16 from right wing, and 4 goals in 11 from left wing, 1 goal in 2 games from the number 10 position, and 7 in 19 as a centre forward.

He's versatile. 

In his career as a whole he has an impressive 18 goals in 70 games from the left wing. He may well have been the player we needed to let Cantwell leave. 

hhhhh.JPG.6c64e99d0edcf2bb9d2d060897307dcb.JPG

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Rather than looking at just Armstrong, are Southampton a stronger side now than last season? Ings already out of the door > unproven Armstrong in, Vestergaard on the way, and maybe James Ward Prowse. Che Adams is a hard worker but not prolific, Walcott aging, yada yada, where are their goals coming from? It's going to be a fair bit of pressure on the lad. I prefer Pukki shouldering that for us.

They are going to be around us come the end of the season and I hope and expect that Armstrong is still in single figures come May.