Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

'We lack ambition.. when will Delia open her pockets?'

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not when you also factor in additional spend of likely £20 million plus in wages over the next 3 years.

The above from Hoggy failed to mention all the savings in wages from departures and sales. So net wages (21/22) and money spent this window (after Buendia sale)is quite balanced out overall. 

Eh?  What?

I asked you what you thought our total wage bill would be for this season? (see below).

1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

How much do you think our total wage bill will be this season?

What do you think it will be?

53 minutes ago, BigFish said:

you have missed the point that compensation payments are paid GROSS and the players involved are foreign nationals living abroad.

That, mon fine ami, is because you just helped yourself to the point!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BarclayWazza said:

Just love the accounting of some on here:

Last season we received roughly £15m for Lewis, £25m for Ben Godfrey and £40m in parachute payments.  Assuming the Gibson and Giannoulis deals were from last seasons budget, that paid for Sorensen, Placheta, Mumba, Dowell, Hughil, Gibson and Giannoulis.  I would wager that we are in credit from the Lewis and Godfrey money.

Equally, if the reported fees for Gunn, Lees Melou, Rashica and Sargent are as suggested, we're still in credit from the Buendia money.  We still have the approximately £100m PL money to come.

What's happening is the bare minimum that can be expected from a policy which allows the sale of your best players, reinvestment into the playing squad.  But don't be hoodwinked, some would have us believe that these purchases means that Delia is great and wonderful.  Her contribution to this is zero.  We sat on the 2018-19 PL money and as it stands, no 2021-22 PL money has gone on players. 

Currently, our net spend is less than that before the 2018-19 PL season.

Hahahahahaha and you are laughing at the rest of us.

Tell me Mr. numbers, where do you factor into all of this the downturn and loss of a seasons revenue from Covid? How about the promotion bonuses for the 18/19 season promotion? How about the promotion bonuses for 20/21? How about the early repayment of the bond scheme for the academy buildings?

No? How about agents fees? increase wages due to promotion clauses? 

No? What about the financial black hole created by the purchase of Naismith etc that was roughly 30 million to be paid back.

Sure, a football club finances are just adding up the sales against the purchases and then madly shouting ‘100 million on promotion’. Do you need to be told that you don get the money in a lump sum, as has been explain a thousand times on here, by the club and pretty much every football expert.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I agree of course.

But, having said that, I was under the assumption that the majority of the loss was due to loss of TV revenue from the pandemic etc rather than the impact of zero crowds (which obviously does play a part too!).  This broadcasting issue doesn't apply as a loss for 20-21 as I'm assume the club received the payments they were expecting that season, so the only real loss is match day revenue and any other commercial revenue around the ground lost due to restrictions - which I can't believe gets anywhere near another £35m?  I would also assume that the club budgeted, or at least had multiple budgets, including one for 20-21 that reflected a season with no fans and little to no commercial revenue from catering etc.

As I said, I haven't studied the detail at all. I don't know whether we did get TV money for 2020-21, but I assume that in effect we lost virtually all ticket income, virtually all catering income and a great deal of club-shop commercial income. A very, very rough estimate would put that at £20m.

That the club may, once the pandemic stuck, have then hurriedly budgeted for it for 2020-21 doesn't alter the fact that it was still money the club didn't get that it normally would, and there would still, in the form of wages for players under contract etc, be expenses that had been taken on board before the pandemic.

6 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Eh?  What?

I asked you what you thought our total wage bill would be for this season? (see below).

You sound like a teacher from the 70s, sorry sir, maybe similar to the last time in this league. Don’t throw the blackboard rubber at me or clip me round the ear, I’m sorry ok. 

52 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You're only allowed to remember player sales for a few months on here. Members of the clique get cross. 

I'd hardly call it a clique but I suppose there are some posters who prefer facts to miserabilist mendacities.🤓

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Our squad is improving every year since Farke/Webber. We have strengthened in all areas of the pitch. It wasn't long ago our squad included, Klose, Pinto, Duda, Trybull, Leitner, Naismith, Hugill etc and the fringe players rarely featured. We are in a much better position now regarding the first 11 and in the depth of quality available to pick from. It's a slow progress but progress all the same. The club is running without the need of Delia's cook book sales

Worth remembering this was the very first team Farke put out for us in his first competitive match as our manager.. How far we have come indeed

11.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I'd hardly call it a clique but I suppose there are some posters who prefer facts to miserabilist mendacities.🤓

I like that purple print, keep using it. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You sound like a teacher from the 70s, sorry sir, maybe similar to the last time in this league. Don’t throw the blackboard rubber at me or clip me round the ear, I’m sorry ok. 

Now.. in that scenario you, my boy, would be one of the  smart alecs in the class, who's more than clever enough to know what they're saying is mischievous... but acts like a naughty boy all the same

• Like 1

Just now, GenerationA47 said:

Now.. in that scenario you, my boy, would be one of the  smart alecs in the class, who's more than clever enough to know what they're saying is mischievous... but acts like a naughty boy all the same

I’m having flashbacks now to the headmasters office. Like that scene from Kes but trying not to laugh instead of crying. 

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Go and stand in the corner. And put this cap on your head while you're about. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

Go and stand in the corner. And put this cap on your head while you're about. 

The pointy one with the big D on it? Never had the pleasure of wearing one but standing in the corner was common. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m having flashbacks now to the headmasters office. Like that scene from Kes but trying not to laugh instead of crying. 

Ha ha - knew it! Have a scalding hot communal shower for all your sins.

I swear teaching runs in the DNA. Never taught a sole (or any other school of fish for that matter) in my life but the parental force is strong. Lecturing people just comes naturally 😮

37 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:
2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

How much do you think our total wage bill will be this season?

£85 million +/- 10%

1 minute ago, GenerationA47 said:

Ha ha - knew it! Have a scalding hot communal shower for all your sins.

I swear teaching runs in the DNA. Never taught a sole (or any other school of fish for that matter) in my life but the parental force is strong. Lecturing people just comes naturally 😮

We had a real narcissist head teacher in the last year of primary. I had dispensation to leave class early for an away football fixture. He let me leave to board the bus before informing I wouldn’t be playing due to poor effort in that lesson. All I could do was arrange two pencils in the desk ink hole to show my disappointment. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Exactly. The sale of Emi roughly covers this, we have spent around £40mil this summer and we’re not even done yet. We would have to be scraping the barrel to knock the club for this in fairness. Personally, it’s surprised me, the level of spending, and I applaud Webber for going for it in this window. 

The COVID loss has been over more than one season and was covered by the sales of Lewis & Godfrey (£40 million combined).

Exactly. The sale of Emi roughly covers this, we have spent around £40mil this summer and we’re not even done yet. We would have to be scraping the barrel to knock the club for this in fairness. Personally, it’s surprised me, the level of spending, and I applaud Webber for going for it in this window. 

The COVID loss has been over more than one season and was covered by the sales of Lewis & Godfrey (£40 million combined).

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I like that purple print, keep using it. 

Well, it's the colour we in the clique use -.OHMIGOD now I've given the game away...😳

45 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Which left us with about £8-10m... Dowell - £2m, Hugill - £3-5m, Placheta - £2m... 

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I don’t know what transfers cover which loss etc, you would have to speak to Stuart Webber about that. 

What, you mean the Stuart Webber who said:

“We didn’t have to sell Emi because of the pandemic, probably more so Ben Godfrey, because when it started to become apparent fans would not be present for the last Championship season we could then predict the scale of the losses,”

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Are you unhappy with the clubs spending this summer? 

We've bought players in positions that we need them but are still short in key areas - CB and CDM to be precise. Fail to sort them out and we'll struggle even if you spent Delia's personal wine budget for the year on transfers. I guess the club must agree with me as it's no secret we are looking for players in those areas.

OTBC

5 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

What, you mean the Stuart Webber who said:

“We didn’t have to sell Emi because of the pandemic, probably more so Ben Godfrey, because when it started to become apparent fans would not be present for the last Championship season we could then predict the scale of the losses,”

We've bought players in positions that we need them but are still short in key areas - CB and CDM to be precise. Fail to sort them out and we'll struggle even if you spent Delia's personal wine budget for the year on transfers. I guess the club must agree with me as it's no secret we are looking for players in those areas.

OTBC

Au contraire, I never asked you whether you were *happy* with our signings thus far. Neither have I said we don’t need a CB and a CDM. We do.

So, I will take it back to the original question and ask you again, are you unhappy with our *spending* thus far? Or are you feeling robbed of not your money because the transfer window is 3 weeks from closing? 🍼

20 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Au contraire, I never asked you whether you were *happy* with our signings thus far.

OK...

Neither have I said we don’t need a CB and a CDM. We do.

OK...

So, I will take it back to the original question and ask you again, are you unhappy with our *spending* thus far?

I'm not happy or unhappy tbh - we can only spend what we can afford. The club knows what that is. I only posted a comment as your original post about Emi appeared so clearly wrong.

Or are you feeling robbed of not your money because the transfer window is 3 weeks from closing? 🍼

What a strange comment; I'd try to answer it if I understood it. You can try again if you like.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

What a strange comment; I'd try to answer it if I understood it. You can try again if you like.

OTBC

Listen, I can’t be responsible for thick c***s with ridiculously unfunny usernames like yourself that were last dreamt up during the Benny Hill era whom don’t have the intelligence to realise there’s still 3 weeks to sign the *right* CB and CDM. That’s what it comes down to. You need to take responsibility for your own knicker wetting big boy.

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Eh?  What?

That one go unanswered by chance, Thirsty? 😂

4 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Listen, I can’t be responsible for thick c***s with ridiculously unfunny usernames like yourself that were last dreamt up during the Benny Hill era whom don’t have the intelligence to realise there’s still 3 weeks to sign the *right* CB and CDM. That’s what it comes down to. You need to take responsibility for your own knicker wetting big boy.

Rattled....

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Worth remembering this was the very first team Farke put out for us in his first competitive match as our manager.. How far we have come indeed

11.png

Although quite ironic that we’d quite like to have but now probably can’t afford two of those midfielders! 

I think (based on what has been said) that the covid losses meant the need for the Godfrey sake and probably reduced our budget for transfers this summer pre Emi sale. I think it was being fairly openly said by those journalists with links to the club that even allowing for the covid loss and pre Emi we had a budget of around £15m to spend this summer (excluding buying Dimi and Gibson). That being the case I’d assume that selling Emi takes us up to circa £50m which would suggest we have something left in the pot yet for one more major signing or a couple of smaller ones/loans. 

My oh my. What an angry, peculiar man you are. I simply made note of your error about the Emi monies and you then go and throw all of your toys out of the pram; you've made quite a show of yourself, haven't you? Like a child crying so much they make themselves sick just because mummy wouldn't let them have jelly and ice cream. Benny Hill? Knicker wetting? I'd lay off the drink in the evening Alex, it clearly doesn't agree with you.

If you knew me, you'd understand my username Alex, but as you don't (thank the lord), you of course don't.

I've noticed that you seem to do this quite a lot of late Alex. I'm not sure the forum never-ever-wrong angry guy is a good look, but you do wear it well. Be careful now, you might get yourself the reputation as the new Bill.

Prat.

OTBC

• Like 3