Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Pukki and Rashica missing

Hanley has Covid, not sure on any of the others but very likely I’d guess.

Look at the size of the bench for tonight game. Like posted above think its been a large outbreak

Rather a large outbreak now, than in a months time. Hopefully a few of them out of isolation for the Newcastle game. 

• Like 2

Farke confirms we had 11 lads missing at one stage with either Covid or self-isolating. Tonight we were missing 7 players through either Covid symptoms or self-isolating after being in close contact with someone who turned out to have Covid.

Edited by Top corner

3 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

I think you'll find - although no one will admit it - it's been a rather large Covid outbreak

That was pretty clear when they stopped giving Archant journos the names and refused to give them any info.

What really concerns me is the long term effects it could have on any one of these boys. Sure, they’re fit young athletes, but Covid has shown it can affect anyone long term regardless of health or age, and let’s face it, it appears that it was the driving force that has basically retired Marco Stiepermann. I only hope all the lads come through it with minimal issues, if any - and I say that with more concern for them as people rather than as players.

15 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Will the squad not have had at least one jab by now? The vaccine really is the key in terms of the virus' effect both short and long term. 

If they have chosen to have it.  I have read somewhere lots of young footballers have chosen to not have at as they believe they will be fine as they are fit and healthy.  The vaccine doesn't stop you getting it either but can reduced transmission by up to 50% (apparently).

10 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

I think you'll find - although no one will admit it - it's been a rather large Covid outbreak

well they did admit it

Daniel said thankfully they are all in good health

Let's hope they were all vaxxed atleast once. Even so, we could statistically speaking see one or two of the 7 miss the first few weeks.

If we get really unlucky - e.g. Teemu gets hit by long covid - our season could be ruined before the first game. The absolute worst case scenario is a career ending disability. Cross fingers.

Crumbs! I think Marvin the paranoid android would be considered a "happy clapper" on this site. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

What really concerns me is the long term effects it could have on any one of these boys. Sure, they’re fit young athletes, but Covid has shown it can affect anyone long term regardless of health or age, and let’s face it, it appears that it was the driving force that has basically retired Marco Stiepermann. I only hope all the lads come through it with minimal issues, if any - and I say that with more concern for them as people rather than as players.

This.

Vaxx efficacy is related to immune system's functioning. Competitive athletes immune systems are often struggling to cope with stress. They're fit, but their immune systems are constantly under strain. I'm worried that our players haven't gotten their 2nd shots which would protect from long covid.

On the margin a 5% drop in aerobic capacity does not impair a normal person, but it will end a pro footballer's career. Symptomless covid infections are known to damage lung and cardiac tissue, and cause brain damage, fatigue etc. It is no joke. Season is one thing but we are talking about lives and livelihoods here.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Upo said:

This.

Vaxx efficacy is related to immune system's functioning. Competitive athletes immune systems are often struggling to cope with stress. They're fit, but their immune systems are constantly under strain. I'm worried that our players haven't gotten their 2nd shots which would protect from long covid.

On the margin a 5% drop in aerobic capacity does not impair a normal person, but it will end a pro footballer's career. Symptomless covid infections are known to damage lung and cardiac tissue, and cause brain damage, fatigue etc. It is no joke. Season is one thing but we are talking about lives and livelihoods here.

Yep, I definitely have lung and fatigue issues since I got it in January, and therefore have not been the same, so naturally it concerns me about our players as the virus is not discerning. You can only hope it doesn’t affect them in a career changing way, but it does concern me that this could be the case in some instances like I think what we have seen with Steipi. Hearing 11 (or 9) of the lads had contracted it last night just concerned me, didn’t realise there’d been such a severe outbreak, so hopefully they’ve all been double jabbed and the effects are minimal and temporary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, I definitely have lung and fatigue issues since I got it in January, and therefore have not been the same, so naturally it concerns me about our players as the virus is not discerning. You can only hope it doesn’t affect them in a career changing way, but it does concern me that this could be the case in some instances like I think what we have seen with Steipi. Hearing 11 (or 9) of the lads had contracted it last night just concerned me, didn’t realise there’d been such a severe outbreak, so hopefully they’ve all been double jabbed and the effects are minimal and temporary.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you'll get better! A month after my very mild symptoms in April last year my resting HR was up to 110/min. Pulse was all over the place for 6 months. I recognise the fatigue too. Took me a year to perform a full week's work. Close to normal now. But I really can't stand anyone getting infected.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Billyboybunters said:

If they have chosen to have it.  I have read somewhere lots of young footballers have chosen to not have at as they believe they will be fine as they are fit and healthy.  The vaccine doesn't stop you getting it either but can reduced transmission by up to 50% (apparently).

Quite but the numbers of hospitalisations and deaths recently suggests it has a dramatic effect on the severity of symptoms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Sorry to hear that AM! Had you been single or doubly vaccinated when you caught it? A nephew of mine (24 years, no undelying health issues) recently contracted it and has felt very ill with it. I'm hoping that all the players with it will have long since been doubly vaccinated and the chances of long-term issues accordingly mitigated.

Hope your lingering side-effects disappear soon!

• Thanks 1

This is a bit of a tangent and not meant to be trivialising the issue/risks/impact, but....

I know that the club and all players will have insurance, but, I'm never sure what the insurance actually covers, for example, if a player does develop long covid would there be insurance cover for that? Obviously I would rather nobody ever had to find out.

2 hours ago, Upo said:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you'll get better! A month after my very mild symptoms in April last year my resting HR was up to 110/min. Pulse was all over the place for 6 months. I recognise the fatigue too. Took me a year to perform a full week's work. Close to normal now. But I really can't stand anyone getting infected.

Hi Upo, pleased to hear you’re nearly back up to speed again, and reassuring for other posters as well that you can get to that point too even if it can take a year. After 7 or 8 months I still wonder if it will ever go away (the side effects that is), but your words are encouraging, cheers buddy 👍

49 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Sorry to hear that AM! Had you been single or doubly vaccinated when you caught it? A nephew of mine (24 years, no undelying health issues) recently contracted it and has felt very ill with it. I'm hoping that all the players with it will have long since been doubly vaccinated and the chances of long-term issues accordingly mitigated.

Hope your lingering side-effects disappear soon!

Cheers Horsefly, I had not been jabbed at all at that point as this was the start of January, I had taken the precautions etc and treated it with the respect I felt it deserved plus of course been very careful to respect other people’s space etc too, but I still got it eventually (living in a tourist seaside area I don’t think helped either). You would hope all the players have been double jabbed and thus helped minimise any issues but of course it must be concerning for them - I mean we’ve only just signed Rashica but it must weigh something on his mind, for instance what if this knocks 20% off my performance levels for whatever reason, and I’m not the same player again etc? So we will all hope they will fully recover of course, but first and foremost for their own health before any football issues. Sorry to hear your nephew has been rough with it, and I hope he makes a full recovery back to good health (and a lot quicker than I have too!). Cheers buddy 👍

• Like 1