Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Who was the brains behind Webber’s appointment

A stroke of genius which in turn gave us Farke. My guess is Ed Balls was very influential being a fine politician and expert finance man. Do any on here have much information they could share?

My understanding is Ed Balls sought advice from Comolli, who pointed him in the direction of Webber. Balls then advised Delia and Michael on Webber.

Disclaimer: this is based on memory, not fact.

Edit: I think he may have been more advised on the sporting director model and potential candidates included Webber as well as possibly someone from Celtic?

Edited by FatCanary

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A stroke of genius which in turn gave us Farke. My guess is Ed Balls was very influential being a fine politician and expert finance man. Do any on here have much information they could share?

An expert finance man?? Ed Balls?? The only chancellor of the exchequer to have left a note to his successor saying he had blown the entire nation’s wealth? 

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

An expert finance man?? Ed Balls?? The only chancellor of the exchequer to have left a note to his successor saying he had blown the entire nation’s wealth? 

Ed Balls is a highly intelligent man, political sh1t slinging aside. We do owe him our thanks for his desire to improve our football club.

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The tories did that to the incoming Labour Govt. in the 40/50s first. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

3 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

My understanding is Ed Balls sought advice from Comolli, who pointed him in the direction of Webber. Balls then advised Delia and Michael on Webber.

Disclaimer: this is based on memory, not fact.

Edit: I think he may have been more advised on the sporting director model and potential candidates included Webber as well as possibly someone from Celtic?

Comolli certainly strongly advised Balls to implement the sporting-director system. And since Webber was at Liverpool at the time Comolli was there it is a reasonable supposition that the latter told Balls that if possible he should try to prise Webber away from Huddersfield.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

The tories did that to that to the incoming Labour Govt. in the 40/50s first. 

Yeah maybe - but that wasn’t what was under discussion…I wasn’t remotely interested in a right v left debate - merely in exposing the nonsense that Ed Balls is a financial wizard 

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yeah maybe - but that wasn’t what was under discussion…I wasn’t remotely interested in a right v left debate - merely in exposing the nonsense that Ed Balls is a financial wizard 

Ok, a damn decent dancer then. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That was Liam Byrne, former treasury secretary, not Ed Balls.

• Like 2

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Tbf most of the damage was done by Gordon brown before Ed came along...  He is actually recognised as being a very good economist, so good that he was teaching at Harvard and the chief economics writer at the FT before becoming an MP.

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

One thing is guaranteed with some sections of our fanbase.

If it's a bad appointment, it was Delia.

If it's a good appointment, then it's either not Delia or she got lucky.

No ones blaming her for Gunn or Adams, I doubt she had any say in it.

7 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

oh look, DCB is lying...... yet again

the person in question was actually Liam Byrne, as

"It is a convention for outgoing ministers to leave a note for their successors with advice on how to settle into the job. But Byrne's note – which he later said was intended as a private joke "

it was in the same spirit as

"a similar note left by Tory Reginald Maudling to his Labour successor James Callaghan in 1964: "Good luck, old **** ... Sorry to leave it in such a mess."Callaghan in 1964:"

10 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Balls never was chancellor of the exchequer and never wrote such a note. Unlike the Tory Reginald Maudling, who is 1964 left this for Jim Callaghan, who was the incoming Labour chancellor:

''Good luck, old ****. Sorry to leave it in such a mess!”

But apart from that you got everything absolutely spot on as usual...

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Tbf most of the damage was done by Gordon brown before Ed came along...  He is actually recognised as being a very good economist, so good that he was teaching at Harvard and the chief economics writer at the FT before becoming an MP.

yes, it was Gordon Brown who single-handedly caused the sub prime mortgage collapse, triggering a global financial meltdown

he might point out that he was consistent in warning of the dangers of high levels of unsecured lending, but that was just a front for his plotting to bring down the world's economy

and without Sam telling us, we would never have known

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Balls never was chancellor of the exchequer and never wrote such a note. Unlike the Tory Reginald Maudling, who is 1964 left this for Jim Callaghan, who was the incoming Labour chancellor:

''Good luck, old ****. Sorry to leave it in such a mess!”

But apart from that you got everything absolutely spot on as usual...

Yeah, I'd stick to talking horlicks about football, rather than branching out into fields you know even less about DCB.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Comolli certainly strongly advised Balls to implement the sporting-director system. And since Webber was at Liverpool at the time Comolli was there it is a reasonable supposition that the latter told Balls that if possible he should try to prise Webber away from Huddersfield.

Agreed. This is what happened. And when Norwich were blown away at home to Huddersfield it became a no-brainer.

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh look, DCB is lying...... yet again

A liar on the forum - someone after your crown Billious ?

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

A liar on the forum - someone after your crown Billious ?

And if on cue, out pop the two obsessives

odd that one of these two should use the word billious - one that was so regularly used by wcorkcanary

ps so (Gr) easy, you barely have to try nowadays 😏

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

And if on cue, out pop the two obsessives

odd that one of these two should use the word billious - one that was so regularly used by wcorkcanary

ps so (Gr) easy, you barely have to try nowadays 😏

So why did you so empathically claim you have me on ignore, when you continually reply to my posts. You are very strange. 

Edited by Greavsy

53 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yeah I think Balls was the driving force behind the change and part of the reason Alex Neil left is he had no interest in working under such a structure.

Managers like him will need to change their tune if they ever want to manage at top clubs though.

7 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

So why did you so empathically claim you have me on ignore, when you continually reply to my posts. You are very strange.

a short reply

I stated that I put you on ignore

by the amazing wonders of technology, I can remove that

now do us all a favour, stop disrupting threads by yours, and plods, petty obsessive behaviour

41 minutes ago, Bill said:

yes, it was Gordon Brown who single-handedly caused the sub prime mortgage collapse, triggering a global financial meltdown

he might point out that he was consistent in warning of the dangers of high levels of unsecured lending, but that was just a front for his plotting to bring down the world's economy

and without Sam telling us, we would never have known

I know I shouldn't respond....but, as you are well aware, that is not what I said or meant. The damage I am referring to is more related to his failure to put provision in place for the lean years during the fat, and in actual fact reduce our ability to cope with the lean through such I'll advised policies as selling off our gold reserves when gold prices were at the lowest they had been for about 20 years.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

a short reply

I stated that I put you on ignore

by the amazing wonders of technology, I can remove that

now do us all a favour, stop disrupting threads by yours, and plods, petty obsessive behaviour

Why would you do that? given you exact words were as below. ( and you still havent replied to that one stating who you incorrectly claim I am

And yes, I have put you on ignore, as that way I no longer have to see some weirdo constantly following me around - even in the non football threads.

Link here to help