BigFish

Seems like the Tories don't want football to come home

Has anyone got an original source to that graphic or are we just all believing a random graphic thrown up is accurate until we know the source it has been shared from?

For all we know it's from the Daily Heil. 

Edited by chicken

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Has anyone got an original source to that graphic or are we just all believing a random graphic thrown up is accurate until we know the source it has been shared from?

On R4 news tonight (Pm show) they invited comment from a police social media head (has been monitoring abuse for over a decade). He disagreed that most issues derive from abroad and stated that up to 50% of the problems are UK based (with quite a lot of younger people making up that cohort. The youngest being 13 years of age!). Right wing extremist sources make up about 20%

RWNJ bingo. Woke agenda, BLM, Marxism etc. The same boring soundbites pumped out by the same boring people to try and diminish a movement that has a legitimate reason for protest.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Director General of MI5 Ken McCallum says right-wing terrorism is here to stay and is being fuelled by racism. He also rejected the claim that the racist attacks on English footballers came from abroad:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9788365/MI5-agents-investigating-children-young-13-extreme-right-wing-terror-says-spy-chief.html

There is plenty of evidence to back up his statements too. A lot of it freely available on the net.

So for example, Prevent is a system of monitoring extremism and terrorism in terms of children and young people who are being groomed by such groups. The last report I looked at, probably a couple of years ago now, had a higher rate of convictions of far right extremism. That despite it being vastly under-reported compared to other areas such as Islamic based extremism etc. 

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

There is plenty of evidence to back up his statements too. A lot of it freely available on the net.

So for example, Prevent is a system of monitoring extremism and terrorism in terms of children and young people who are being groomed by such groups. The last report I looked at, probably a couple of years ago now, had a higher rate of convictions of far right extremism. That despite it being vastly under-reported compared to other areas such as Islamic based extremism etc. 

Absolutely! McCallum is clearly very concerned that on-line racism is providing a gateway for young people into ever more extreme behaviour, ultimately ending with terrorist intentions and action. Any responsible government would be doing everything in its power to slam that gateway shut. These footballers are idols to the young of the country, so how utterly appalling that members of this government have actively encouraged the booing of England players taking a stand against racism. They had a fantastic opportunity to back the England team's stance so beautifully and simply articulated by Gareth Southgate on behalf of the squad. But they chose instead to do the opposite and waste that opportunity. At best this was an example of the sheer incompetence that has become the hallmark of almost everything they do; at worst it was an attempt to play the populist race card that worked so well for them during the brexit campaign. Either way, they are letting down  vulnerable young people susceptible to racist exploitation, and letting down the country in failing to protect it from this right-wing terrorist threat. Shameful!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chicken said:

Sorry, again for clarity I have no idea if the source image is reliable or not, my only point is it won't be significantly skewed by VPN users, if at all.

11 hours ago, chicken said:

Haven't found a source for that infographic but there is a quote from the head of Kick it Out that 70% of this sort of abuse originates overseas.

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2021/07/who-behind-online-abuse-black-england-players-and-how-can-we-stop

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Haven't found a source for that infographic but there is a quote from the head of Kick it Out that 70% of this sort of abuse originates overseas.

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2021/07/who-behind-online-abuse-black-england-players-and-how-can-we-stop

“I think the current backlash against online racism is good, but diverts from consistently racist media and politicians.”

We can see what Johnson et al are actually trying now. Attempting to deflect the guilt of their actions onto a social media bogeyman. Simple fact is they used the dog whistle thinking it was clever, only to find the country largely rejected their attempts at a culture war. Artcicle seems to think they were dupes of foreign powers as well.

“It will be totally unsurprising if trolls started sharing bad stuff for these players, given that their goal is to sow public discord, and this is an excellent opportunity to do so,”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BigFish said:

“I think the current backlash against online racism is good, but diverts from consistently racist media and politicians.”

We can see what Johnson et al are actually trying now. Attempting to deflect the guilt of their actions onto a social media bogeyman. Simple fact is they used the dog whistle thinking it was clever, only to find the country largely rejected their attempts at a culture war. Artcicle seems to think they were dupes of foreign powers as well.

“It will be totally unsurprising if trolls started sharing bad stuff for these players, given that their goal is to sow public discord, and this is an excellent opportunity to do so,”

To be clear I'm not minimising or suggesting that there isn't a fair bit of racism amongst British football fans, just that its important to recognise where these are coming from when looking at just numbers of racist tweets. 

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be clear I'm not minimising or suggesting that there isn't a fair bit of racism amongst British football fans, just that its important to recognise where these are coming from when looking at just numbers of racist tweets. 

Indeed! but that makes the government doubly culpable for their appalling response to the England team taking the knee. They could very easily have supported the England team's stance against racism, but actually chose to confront it. This not only acted as license to "home grown" racists to post their abuse, but also created an opportunity for malign foreign powers to exploit a culture war being fomented by the government to the detriment of the unity of the country. Russia and China must be pis*ing themselves at the folly of this crass own goal. Everyone would do well to heed the words of the MI5 chief:

“Racism is a toxic issue that MI5 confronts every day, most visibly in our work to deal with extreme right wing terrorism. Racism is not the sole and only fuel of that threat but it is strongly there. I’m proud that MI5 are today working to deal with terrorist threats fuelled in important ways by toxic racism.

I would also voice the thought that if we were to find ourselves overly looking to blame abroad for this phenomenon of racism, we might risk not owning the portion of the problem that is ours within our own country.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/toxic-racism-is-fuelling-rise-of-far-right-terror-in-britain-warns-mi5-boss/ar-AAM9wY8?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Indeed! but that makes the government doubly culpable for their appalling response to the England team taking the knee. They could very easily have supported the England team's stance against racism, but actually chose to confront it. This not only acted as license to "home grown" racists to post their abuse, but also created an opportunity for malign foreign powers to exploit a culture war being fomented by the government to the detriment of the unity of the country. Russia and China must be pis*ing themselves at the folly of this crass own goal. Everyone would do well to heed the words of the MI5 chief:

“Racism is a toxic issue that MI5 confronts every day, most visibly in our work to deal with extreme right wing terrorism. Racism is not the sole and only fuel of that threat but it is strongly there. I’m proud that MI5 are today working to deal with terrorist threats fuelled in important ways by toxic racism.

I would also voice the thought that if we were to find ourselves overly looking to blame abroad for this phenomenon of racism, we might risk not owning the portion of the problem that is ours within our own country.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/toxic-racism-is-fuelling-rise-of-far-right-terror-in-britain-warns-mi5-boss/ar-AAM9wY8?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Yeah I totally agree with you on the government- the behaviour towards the team and the taking of the knee was shameful.

• Like 1

Boris and co don't want to upset the far right wing of their party and supporters. It's as simple as that. 

Shameful that it is, but until we get a decent voting system and get rid of these big dinasour parties that are Labour and Conservative, we are going to be stuck with ever more useless and ineffective governments which pander to the lower end of their support to make sure they stay in power.  A classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

• Like 2

This ties in with yesterday’s discussion, those who thought they would stop the knee will now see it carry on. The Olympic Committee have changed the rules, which will allow the team GB football team to take the knee. At least no crowds to boo them, but I wonder if Boris, Priti and co will give their support. At the Olympics this will be so powerful with the whole world watching. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57846090

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I totally agree with you on the government- the behaviour towards the team and the taking of the knee was shameful.

I think we now have a government that stands for absolutely nothing but the pursuit of power itself, and they miscalculated badly in this particular instance. I firmly believe they assumed England would perform poorly at this tournament and that lashing out at players taking the knee would capture a mood of public disenchantment with these rich young men. However, things turned out to be very different and the majority of the public were genuinely impressed by the performance of this team, both on the pitch and off it as they expressed an articulate unity of purpose and moral authority in opposing racist abuse. Hence we are now witnessing the most egregiously hypocritical backtracking by the greatest offenders, as so eloquently expressed in Tyrone Mings' perfect tweet. That's the price a government pays when it adopts a purely populist approach to politics instead of acting on principle. The trouble is the country pays that price too.

• Like 1

This particular Government came to power on one agenda. Brexit. It had no other policies. Now it is floundering in the morass of its own ignorance and far right tendencies.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, king canary said:

Don't think that anyone thought you did KC. The key point is that the Government gave cover and endorsement to this sort of racist behaviour in this country.

Edited by BigFish
  • Like 1