Sign in to follow this  
NFN FC

Godfrey starts

Well done Ben

Hope he has a good game 

Screenshot_20210606_155136.jpg

Edited by NFN FC

Most important of all is the chance to see Dennis Man!!!

Almost as famous to us Canary fans as Quagliarella ....though some way to go😀

Edit: He hasn't even made the squad.

Edited by sonyc

Why is he wearing a yellow shirt. Did they run out of white ones, or is this a cunning plan to confuse Romania - who wear yellow shirts

Are we still counting Godfrey as ours?

He was one of the worst defences in EPL history when he was with us.

But its nuts that he is playing right back. Why does Southgate have to complicate it?

Edited by keelansgrandad

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Are we still counting Godfrey as ours?

He was one of the worst defences in EPL history when he was with us.

He was extremely young for a CB, hadn't grown up playing that position and never had a settled defence around him or adequate cover from the holding midfielders.

One of the worst defenses I agree with you on that but for me that was more due to our midfield's physical inadequacies and a catalog of injuries around him. I think he's a brilliant player and I'll still follow his career a little bit, plus we get add ons and a sell on if he does well

• Like 1

I’m excited for Godfrey, but that’s a really unexceptional England team.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’m excited for Godfrey, but that’s a really unexceptional England team.

The only names that really 'stand out' would be Sancho/Grealish/Rashford to most non England fans and neutrals etc.

Wouldent be surprised to see half the Romania players looking at our lineup and thinking '...who?'

Makes perfect sense really. 

Imagine another right back, from the squad starting and getting injured before the Euros start. how many will be on here shouting about why he started etc. 

Ben is in the standby squad, so a good chance to shine. 

Its a win win.  

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Imagine another right back, from the squad starting and getting injured before the Euros start. how many will be on here shouting about why he started etc. 

Its a win win.  

I kind of get that, but at the same time why have these friendly’s if you aren’t going to use it as preparation?

To get the players together and bonding. 

Try out some different formations etc. 

I do get your point though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Its a win win.  

I completely understand why Godfrey is playing at right back (Alexander-Arnold is now out of the tournament, Trippier played the last game and the players involved in the Champions League final aren't available) but injuries to right backs shouldn't be too much of a concern as we still have three excellent ones in the squad. There are other areas where we have less depth and cover.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

I hope he does well as I like Ben. He'll need to improve from that very shaky performance against Austria though otherwise it may be a while before he figures again.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I hope he does well as I like Ben. He'll need to improve from that very shaky performance against Austria though otherwise it may be a while before he figures again.

nice early opp to get back on the horse! 

Just now, Greavsy said:

nice early opp to get back on the horse! 

Hope so. International football is unforgiving and Southgate is a stubborn so and so.

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I completely understand why Godfrey is playing at right back (Alexander-Arnold is now out of the tournament, Trippier played the last game and the players involved in the Champions League final aren't available) but injuries to right backs shouldn't be too much of a concern as we still have three excellent ones in the squad. There are other areas where we have less depth and cover.

Still had  been hoping to see him in defensive midfield 😉

Edited by sonyc

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I don't know, it was somewhat amusing seeing his first action of the game to be almost scoring an own goal and then his last action of the game being him trying to kill pickford

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

I don't know, it was somewhat amusing seeing his first action of the game to be almost scoring an own goal and then his last action of the game being him trying to kill pickford

I think Pickford was as much to blame tbh, Ben had nowhere to go other than collide with him.

Pickford worries me, I'm never totally at ease when he plays. 

Do people not follow what he has done since leaving us? He spent a good few games playing right back for Everton and receiving rave reviews for that, as well as more recently at CB.  He is one of those players who could play anywhere on the pitch and do a good job.  Great that he is getting a start for England and great his versatility is being recognised by Southgate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think Pickford was as much to blame tbh, Ben had nowhere to go other than collide with him.

Pickford worries me, I'm never totally at ease when he plays. 

Pickford is fantastic with the ball at his feet. Dribbles and passes better than most midfielders, and his kicking is amazing.. But on the other hand his handling and shot stopping tend to leave a lot to be desired

... So In a way he's like an opposite version of Krul

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Do people not follow what he has done since leaving us? He spent a good few games playing right back for Everton and receiving rave reviews for that, as well as more recently at CB.  He is one of those players who could play anywhere on the pitch and do a good job.  Great that he is getting a start for England and great his versatility is being recognised by Southgate.

He played there when Coleman was injured. It doesn’t make him a RB, especially at international level, any more than Sorensen is a LB.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

He played there when Coleman was injured. It doesn’t make him a RB, especially at international level, any more than Sorensen is a LB.

I understand people have trouble with the idea that a player can play in different positions on a pitch, but in reality some players can do that and excel wherever they play.  Sorensen is plainly going to look good anywhere he plays - as does Godfrey.  For some players, a label is a hindrance. He, like Sorensen is an all round footballer, superb wherever he plays.

Should we not be trying to field a more competitive side? I count one or maybe two starters there in Shaw and Grealish - and even those are generous. Shouldn’t we be working out our best team?

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I understand people have trouble with the idea that a player can play in different positions on a pitch, but in reality some players can do that and excel wherever they play.  Sorensen is plainly going to look good anywhere he plays - as does Godfrey.  For some players, a label is a hindrance. He, like Sorensen is an all round footballer, superb wherever he plays.

The point that people are making you seem to be unable to grasp Lakey or are just ignoring, is England have a number of fit RBs in the squad so playing Godfrey there doesn’t make much sense unless it’s to just give him some exposure or to protect injury to another squad member. 

Edited by Monty13

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Should we not be trying to field a more competitive side? I count one or maybe two starters there in Shaw and Grealish - and even those are generous. Shouldn’t we be working out our best team?

Too risky. Romania won't take any prisoners. I think Southgate knows his first XI.

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

The point that people are making you seem to be unable to grasp Lakey or are just ignoring, is England have a number of fit RBs in the squad so playing Godfrey there doesn’t make much sense unless it’s to just give him some exposure or to protect injury to another squad member. 

I couldn't care less how many right backs there are, or for what reason they might not be picked. Godfrey has been given a chance to play there, therefore he must deserve it, based on what the England coaches have seen and his excellence in playing that position for Everton. In football it looks as if there is a trend being set for taller and more physical full backs emerging - and Godfrey fits that bill and may even end up playing there more often for Everton, depending on what happens there.  Whatever, it looks as if he will become an important member of the England squad and a player for any occasion and any position.