Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Does anyone want the badge changed?

57 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like a few more LEAVE THE BADGE ALONE votes @PurpleCanary. 😜

Add me to the LEAVE THE BADGE ALONE list Tillo.  Though I must say a have a very classy looking long sleeved black t-shirt from the Club Shop , excellent quality cotton, with a smalll silver Canary standing 'on the ball' on the left of the chest.  Tastiest bit of 'casual wear' I 've seen.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like a few more LEAVE THE BADGE ALONE votes @PurpleCanary. 😜

Well Till, perhaps I should not be adding my opinion here (haven't so far) but I'm with Purple on this one. But I wanted to explain why.

There are 3 issues for me.

1. The castle is really not a good representation of our fine city but a cheap CAD produced effort. At least we should have an effort that looks like our brilliant castle with the mound. It's quite unique and such an iconic image.  

2. I don't really want to say much about the rampant lion apart from the eyes and mouth....I mean WTF as youngsters will say. It's like the designer had three triangles and rotated them as best as s/he could. Poor effort. I'm sure many might agree. That said, the lion and castle work as a pairing but we can improve.

3. The Canary image is neat but rather fixed / rigid (too long in the Championship 😉). A slight tweak here and the ball again looks like a balloon not a football.

All in all it's something I'm used to and of course have a love for. Yet when the subject was raised it demanded a second look. Very hard to criticise and not be rude to others' feelings but thought at least I would explain my comments. No massive change needed to the whole set up but some gentle modernisations might please most?

IMG_20210523_105017.jpg

Edited by sonyc

12 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

Sometimes you have to be glad with what you have.

Just take a look at West Ham's new kit...

No photo description available.

More Camp than a Scout's Jamboree.....

• Haha 1

On 23/05/2021 at 12:01, sonyc said:

Well Till, perhaps I should not be adding my opinion here (haven't so far) but I'm with Purple on this one. But I wanted to explain why.

There are 3 issues for me.

1. The castle is really not a good representation of our fine city but a cheap CAD produced effort. At least we should have an effort that looks like our brilliant castle with the mound. It's quite unique and such an iconic image.  

2. I don't really want to say much about the rampant lion apart from the eyes and mouth....I mean WTF as youngsters will say. It's like the designer had three triangles and rotated them as best as s/he could. Poor effort. I'm sure many might agree. That said, the lion and castle work as a pairing but we can improve.

3. The Canary image is neat but rather fixed / rigid (too long in the Championship 😉). A slight tweak here and the ball again looks like a balloon not a football.

All in all it's something I'm used to and of course have a love for. Yet when the subject was raised it demanded a second look. Very hard to criticise and not be rude to others' feelings but thought at least I would explain my comments. No massive change needed to the whole set up but some gentle modernisations might please most?

IMG_20210523_105017.jpg

Exactly, sonyc. Change doesn't have to be drastic but as you say there are some amateurish elements to the current design that need to be improved. That awful over-sized beachball has to go!

I am agnostic on this but the lion could be dumped to allow space for something that does look more like Norwich Castle. I know the lion is part of the city's crest but that is not obvious from the badge and I suspect it seems odd to some. They get why there is a canary but why a lion as well?!

The cathedral is arguably more symbolic to the city than the castle, which was largely there to imprison and execute people.

I'm really not that bothered tbh. I'm more interested in the names on the back than the badge on the front.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Exactly, sonyc. Change doesn't have to be drastic but as you say there are some amateurish elements to the current design that need to be improved. That awful over-sized beachball has to go!

I am agnostic on this but the lion could be dumped to allow space for something that does look more like Norwich Castle. I know the lion is part of the city's crest but that is not obvious from the badge and I suspect it seems odd to some. They get why there is a canary but why a lion as well?!

I'm very much in this camp too. Would be more than happy to see the badge subtly modernised. Simplification is the way forward from a branding perspective, so I'd be more than happy to see the third-kit version used across the board. Would also love that awful font (Dauphin) to be replaced, it looks so naff and 1970s.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

That awful over-sized beachball

Do you know how big canaries are? It's a ping-pong ball if anything.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

so I'd be more than happy to see the third-kit version used across the board

I will genuinely stop supporting the club if this happens.

24 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Don't be so ridiculous.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canarywary said:

I didn't want to have to threaten this, but if the club does not change the badge to my satisfaction then I will turn my currently friendly takeover bid ultra hostile and impose a new design...🤓

3 hours ago, Canarywary said:

And I'll stop supporting you too

Oh, I never knew you were a fan. Come on, though, you're being a bit of a sausage about this.

On 21/05/2021 at 16:42, The Great Mass Debater said:

Pinkun reckons we're looking at changing the club crest. I remember Leeds thought this was a good idea too.

If our badge looked dated Id agree, but I think most fans love it and would oppose a change. If so, then who is the change for?

Does anyone want the badge 'improved'?

images-5.jpeg.c2bb72c06f238a345acf96601468f8b3.jpegHow about this to remember 2020-2021. Here's to you European Union and Eurovision

• Like 2

So in summary nothing fancy. 

A huge canary . A lion (a real one) . The castle complete with mound ( oh er missus) . The cathedral . A full size ball.

Underscored with the legend 

“Welcome to Norwich - a fine city (please drive carefully) “ (in French in celebration of our Norman ancestry) 

A stylised view of Mousehold Heath (with  Big Dunc hopping up it). 

A mayoral hat

Delia shouting “let’s be ‘avin yew” - (one for the non fans there) 

and 87 Stars . 

But only in the third kit ? 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard