Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Binding contracts

13 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56873448

According to Florentino Perez we are close to seeing the 'big' six being expelled from the Premier League for breaking their rules as they have binding contracts with the European Super League.

Oh messy ! (No not Messi) 

I suspect it’s cobblers but it’s still worth a laugh . 

He’s only saying they can’t leave because they’re so desperate for it, and so 9 clubs leaving when they still require another 3 for it to go ahead isn’t going to help. I won’t be surprised to see the clubs get some punishment from the FA, but if they do I can’t see it being heavy/serious 

42 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The punishments should be financial and extremely heavy. Booting the clubs out of the league punishes the wrong people (the fans), whereas severe fines of tens of millions will hit the owners who are so desperate to make a profit.

Bury were punished which resulted in their expulsion from the league because of their owners, this had a knock on affect to their fans. Why should the "big 6" be treated any different for breaking league rules?

Edited by Iwans Big Toe
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Bury were punished which resulted in their expulsion from the league because of their owners, this had a knock on affect to their fans. Why should the "big 6" be treated any different for breaking league rules?

£££ 
The PL will think they had a lucky escape. If the so-called big six did leave, the TV revenue would plummet. They can’t afford to upset their main attractions.

7 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

He’s only saying they can’t leave because they’re so desperate for it, and so 9 clubs leaving when they still require another 3 for it to go ahead isn’t going to help.

Agreed. Real are 900 million in debt. He did an interview just after it all fell apart and he said "we are saving football". He's not trying to save football, he's trying to save his own failures.

7 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The punishments should be financial and extremely heavy. 

IMO the main punishments should be changes to the rules. It should be made crystal clear that they are not legally allowed to form their own competition. Despite pretty much global condemnation, it is understood the idea is not completely dead in the water, which is almost beyond belief.

It is also the perfect time to re-align the sport financially. Most of these clubs are in trouble one way or another and are seeking more power and wealth. The answer isn't to give them more money because fees, wages and agent fees will continue to climb. It's time for a wage limit and further regulation for the amount agents can get their hands on, otherwise it will continue to spiral out of control.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

So just because Bury fans had to suffer as a result of their shambolic owners, fans of other clubs should have to suffer too? If anything, we need to look at Bury and make sure this does NOT happen again, and that the owners are the ones who suffer instead of the fans.

1 hour ago, Yellow and Green said:

IMO the main punishments should be changes to the rules. It should be made crystal clear that they are not legally allowed to form their own competition. Despite pretty much global condemnation, it is understood the idea is not completely dead in the water, which is almost beyond belief.

But changing the rules isn't a punishment, really. It means they wouldn't be able to do this again, but it wouldn't necessarily punish them for this act in the first place. Give the owners a big fine to make them uncomfortable and consider their future.

And besides, this is already against the rules, although it should be in there with stronger conditions. 

1 hour ago, Yellow and Green said:

It is also the perfect time to re-align the sport financially. Most of these clubs are in trouble one way or another and are seeking more power and wealth. The answer isn't to give them more money because fees, wages and agent fees will continue to climb. It's time for a wage limit and further regulation for the amount agents can get their hands on, otherwise it will continue to spiral out of control.

This 100%

There needs to be some levelling out of financial matters and now is a good moment to look again at it, across all leagues.

It is not obscene that the more successful clubs are rewarded but the extremes in reward are far too stretched. I also feel the wage / earning cap is a necessity, and agents need to be reined in.

If the SL has collapsed though, surely those contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on anymore? 

Saying that it will be amusing to watch these 12 greedy clubs all destroy each other. 

43 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So just because Bury fans had to suffer as a result of their shambolic owners, fans of other clubs should have to suffer too? If anything, we need to look at Bury and make sure this does NOT happen again, and that the owners are the ones who suffer instead of the fans.

Not sure I agree. Maybe not expulsion from the league, but starting next season with a 20point deduction, a massive 8 figure fine (all fine money redistributed equally as a windfall throughout the other teams in the PL), and a 2 year transfer embargo strikes me as being a reasonable punishment without killing them off entirely and without detracting from the PL brand.

There's little I would like more than to see "fans" of the big 6 suffer though to be fair. It's not like 95% of them are even proper footie fans anyway and it would be amusing to watch them disappear in their droves when faced with a tiny bit of adversity. No doubt Liverpool fans would blame everybody else and claim that everything was skewed against them specifically though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Not sure I agree. Maybe not expulsion from the league, but starting next season with a 20point deduction, a massive 8 figure fine (all fine money redistributed equally as a windfall throughout the other teams in the PL), and a 2 year transfer embargo strikes me as being a reasonable punishment without killing them off entirely and without detracting from the PL brand.

There's little I would like more than to see "fans" of the big 6 suffer though to be fair. It's not like 95% of them are even proper footie fans anyway and it would be amusing to watch them disappear in their droves when faced with a tiny bit of adversity. No doubt Liverpool fans would blame everybody else and claim that everything was skewed against them specifically though.

I agree with most of that. I wouldn't have a problem at all with a points deduction because that's just a hindrance for one season, maybe two if you include the lack of European football the season after for some of them who can't make up the ground. However, expulsion would harm the wrong people. Everyone was up in arms when Bury fans, who had followed the club for their entire lives, lost their club because of the actions of a dodgy owner so why are so many now wishing this on Man City or Spurs fans?

As for your second paragraph, I see your point but I disagree. The big six have the best part of a quarter of a million season ticket holders between them, and those for the most part are genuine fans who have been following their club for their entire lives. The glory hunters who live 300 miles away but 'support' them because they're successful can go **** themselves, however.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, East Rider said:

This 100%

There needs to be some levelling out of financial matters and now is a good moment to look again at it, across all leagues.

It is not obscene that the more successful clubs are rewarded but the extremes in reward are far too stretched. I also feel the wage / earning cap is a necessity, and agents need to be reined in.

It needs to be done at FIFA level and it needs to include a salary cap. It's the only way to get football back to any kind of sensible footing. Yes that's a huge undertaking and requires compliance across all leagues which it would need FIFA intervention. It would essentially be the next logical step of financial fair play - Give every club a 5 year window to get within compliance - wages must not exceed £80million per year (only the big 6, Everton and Palace exceed that currently in the Prem). Maximum spend of £80mill in transfer fees in any given year. Salary cap varies by country depending on the revenue of the league. 

Football would be so much better for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Excactly. As were Sheff.Wed and Wigan.. Did'nt think of the fans in their cases!!😡Points deduction,plus fines should be forthcoming,(but they won't)!!!!!😡😡😡😡

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But changing the rules isn't a punishment, really. It means they wouldn't be able to do this again, but it wouldn't necessarily punish them for this act in the first place. Give the owners a big fine to make them uncomfortable and consider their future.

And besides, this is already against the rules, although it should be in there with stronger conditions. 

It is because it means they can't get what they want, which is  guaranteed seat at the top table and financial security. There are 6 'big teams competing for four champions league places, with Everton, Leicester and West Ham on the up. They're getting desperate and these owners will p!ss off when they realise they'll start losing money pretty sharpish if they aren't in the CL consistently.  

A points deduction and a fine could affect the fans more directly, which isn't the aim.

10 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

It is because it means they can't get what they want, which is  guaranteed seat at the top table and financial security. There are 6 'big teams competing for four champions league places, with Everton, Leicester and West Ham on the up. They're getting desperate and these owners will p!ss off when they realise they'll start losing money pretty sharpish if they aren't in the CL consistently.  

A points deduction and a fine could affect the fans more directly, which isn't the aim.

I think we're arguing for the same thing, but the reason I said it wasn't a 'punishment' is because I'd say it's more of a deterrent for the future rather than a punishment for past deeds. Both need to be done, but I'd say the tightening of existing rules would be a deterrent, whereas fines and possible points deductions would be a punishment.

17 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

A points deduction and a massive fine plus other longer restrictions I suspect would (in the longer run) be beneficial to the real support of the big 6. Get rid of some of the immensely annoying plastic fans and redress the competitive nature of the PL for one.

As others have said though, it will not happen and any sanctions will be minimal I suspect

I dont think its possible for anyone to issue fines big enough to bother Abramovic or Mansoor at this point. 

The Premier league is actually in a fantastic bargaining position now- the ESL has always been the big 6's biggest bargaining chip and its now off the table for at least a decade. However punish these clubs too hard and you may allow them to get their fans on board with a future ESL type project.

So rule changes are the best bet, both to stop this happening again and to potentially even drive away owners like the Glazers, Kronke etc who won't see avenues for bigger profits with this off the table.

If they've signed 'binding' contracts with the ESL then break those contracts I would imagine the ESL will have a claim for damages. The ESL will have a duty to minimize those losses where it can but the 9 is it will have to make good the rest.

I suspect the bank and the lawyers will make good money out of this and the 9 - well they might need to find a few hundred million each unless they can compromise.

Snigger

Edited by Yellow Fever

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The glory hunters who live 300 miles away but 'support' them because they're successful can go **** themselves, however.

I live over 200 miles away from Norwich. Do I fall in that category? If I don't (because I was born in Norwich and lived there more than half of my life) do my children? As they also support us but have spent - at most - two years of their life in Norwich.

I get the glory hunting aspect but lets not look down on fans who are not local to the team.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

I live over 200 miles away from Norwich. Do I fall in that category? If I don't (because I was born in Norwich and lived there more than half of my life) do my children? As they also support us but have spent - at most - two years of their life in Norwich.

I get the glory hunting aspect but lets not look down on fans who are not local to the team.

I don't think anyone was condescending to fans who don't live in Norwich.

I've never lived closer than 120 miles away. Currently about 180 which has been the average for most of my life.

The point was about the plastic fans supporting the big teams just because they're successful, not about the distance.

I don't think I've ever been called a glory hunter supporting Norwich tbh.

Edited by kick it off

1 hour ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Crucify the ringleaders, tear down the stadiums, enslave the populace, and salt the land. 

Too severe? 

How you doing, Scipio?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Too much playing of Rome total war in my youth 

Us purists know Shogun is the only way to go.

8 hours ago, kick it off said:

It needs to be done at FIFA level and it needs to include a salary cap. It's the only way to get football back to any kind of sensible footing. Yes that's a huge undertaking and requires compliance across all leagues which it would need FIFA intervention. It would essentially be the next logical step of financial fair play - Give every club a 5 year window to get within compliance - wages must not exceed £80million per year (only the big 6, Everton and Palace exceed that currently in the Prem). Maximum spend of £80mill in transfer fees in any given year. Salary cap varies by country depending on the revenue of the league. 

Totally agree. 30 years ago we’re teams really paying £120m+ for world class players? No. I think the ridiculous rise in transfer fees and wages has it harder for the smaller clubs to sign players. Maybe a rule should be put in place where a team in excess debt is only permitted to spend less than they receive (they’re in excess debt so sell a player for £40m, but they’re not allowed to spend all that £40m on new signings)

Edited by HazzaJet

8 hours ago, kick it off said:

Yep, salary caps are the way forward. I don't see how the Premier League can really be considered a competition when Man City can spend 3 or 4 times as much on wages as a team like us. Same in the Championship where we've probably spent 7 or 8 times as much as Luton or Wycombe. 

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I too have spent almost my entire adult life living outside of Norfolk, including five of those abroad. I fail to see how anybody who supports Norwich can be a glory hunter, because we haven't won a trophy since before I was even born and I'm in my 30s now.

I was getting at the people who just decide to 'support' one of the big six for no other reason than they win a lot, and they can use it as some sort of status symbol, even though they've never been to the stadium.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man