Sign in to follow this  
HazzaJet

British Super League?

Hi everyone, I don't know if any of you have heard about this, but today I've seen several links over rumours about the Premiership being reformed into a "British Super League". Apparantly the government, UEFA, and FIFA would all back it and it would contain 18 teams, including Celtic and Rangers. I've tried to find out as much as I can about it but I was wondering if it would affect our promotion this season? 

Is it April 1st?

Not much of a ‘British’ league if it’s just some of the PL + Celtic and Rangers, is it.

No doubt this or the ESL thing could well happen at some point, but not now and not with anything like the proposed format.

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's just a story in the S**.

No actual quotes from the Premier League just a few 'sources', other S** related sites like Talksh!te have repeated it. It gave the idiot Alan Brazil something to talk about in his radio show.

https://www.football365.com/news/british-super-league-celtic-rangers-premier-league

I admit the links were mainly tabloids but there was something in the Telegraph as well. One of the links did have someone did saying that it wouldn't go ahead though because the other 14 clubs would think it might affect their relegation. There was nothing about whether it would affect promotion. I was just wondering, that's all

I heard Richard Scudamore being asked about this a couple of years ago. He said Rangers and Celtic had asked to join. There was a short discussion followed by a 21-0 vote against

I very much doubt the greedy bustards will leave things alone.

Just by mentioning the ESL, they have got half of football saying they accept things need to change.

But the changes that the six have in mind will not benefit anyone but themselves.

The changes that most want is players wages and values reduced. Agents told to find a new job. And a fairer share for the lower league clubs.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I very much doubt the greedy bustards will leave things alone.

Just by mentioning the ESL, they have got half of football saying they accept things need to change.

But the changes that the six have in mind will not benefit anyone but themselves.

The changes that most want is players wages and values reduced. Agents told to find a new job. And a fairer share for the lower league clubs.

If only..............but the words "stable-door","shut" ,"horse" and "bolted" comes to mind on that score,I'm afraid 🥺

Celtic and Rangers would be relegation fodder in any 'British League' - They're mid-to-lower championship standard fare at the best. Most of the other SPL sides would struggle to get out of League 2. Not going to happen in a month of sundays.

23 minutes ago, andyc24_uk said:

Celtic and Rangers would be relegation fodder in any 'British League' - They're mid-to-lower championship standard fare at the best. Most of the other SPL sides would struggle to get out of League 2. Not going to happen in a month of sundays.

Currently that would be the case, But If both were in this league and had the money coming into them that PL clubs have then both would easily attract quality players. These two in the PL would be a very competitive 

4 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

Not so sure of that particularly as far as Rangers are concerned. They have some decent players and had a damn good run in the Europa League. I would certainly have them on a par with bottom half of the PL. CcERTAI   

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

Not so sure of that particularly as far as Rangers are concerned. They have some decent players and had a damn good run in the Europa League. I would certainly have them on a par with bottom half of the PL. CcERTAI   

Sorry - didn't finish that! Celtic and Rangers are certainly as 'massive' as some of the overhyped 'Big Six' from our own PL!

4 hours ago, BigFish said:

.......and if Scotland voted for independence?

That was where my mind went. A Boris Johnson masterclass, make all the football fans vote to stay in an instant.

I must admit I always thought a uk league with rangers and Celtic in it and a chance for the other decent Scottish sides to come through the leagues supported by a Scottish regional league for the smaller clubs wouldn’t be the worst idea.