Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A 22 Year Old Billionaire About To Buy Sunderland ! .

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:
10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sunderland are a pretty big club, they don't deserve to be were they are. Good for them.

Yes they do. They are where they are because they play rubbish football and lose a lot of matches.

The reason that re where they are is because under previous owners they have been financially irresponsible and tried to buy success. When the gamble failed and the previous billionaire get fed up of subsidizing them they were left in the do do.

Be interesting to see if the new owner makes the same mistakes or just builds steadily taking advantage of Sunderland's natural advantages. With decent, financially prudent owners they should be an EPL team.

I'm a bit late to the party but have just started watching the Sunderland Til I Die series on Netflix.

Half way through the first season and I think it's one of the best shows I've ever seen . A really great insight to all aspects of a football club.

You have to feel sorry for the club and fans, it's funny how it starts off with the clear purpose of showing their promotion back to the premier league and quickly goes disastrously wrong.

Just got to the episode where Grabban and Martin demonstrate what D*(ks they are!

9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes I get that now, fair enough - nothing to see here! 

I just want to hear Thirsty Lizard tell me that his will leave 100% of his estate to the Treasury instead of his kids, has never benefited in any way from an inheritance, and is against Tom Smith inheriting Delia's shares because they should be liquidated to fund dodgy government contracts. 

Perhaps Thirsty Lizard is too busy working on a government Test and Trace contract?

You'd have to hope this new owner actually has a sense of long term strategy and is sensible enough to put a proper Sporting Director in place.

Their Premier League years were just a stunning lesson in short term thinking- new manager, let them sign 10 players, sack, new manager, 10 more new players (while being unable to shift the previous 10 that the new guy doesn't fancy), bounce, sack rinse and repeat.

18 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I'm a bit late to the party but have just started watching the Sunderland Til I Die series on Netflix.

Half way through the first season and I think it's one of the best shows I've ever seen . A really great insight to all aspects of a football club.

You have to feel sorry for the club and fans, it's funny how it starts off with the clear purpose of showing their promotion back to the premier league and quickly goes disastrously wrong.

Just got to the episode where Grabban and Martin demonstrate what D*(ks they are!

Really enjoyed watching it. It does seem to highlight how rare football is, with massive losses being accrued, on a regular basis (pretty much down to wages) , papering over cracks, and as a business model it is woefully inadequate. 

Being old school and seeing pre Premier League top level football and how the game has developed etc, I despair how football will be, even in just 10-20 years. There are not enough people, in influential positions, who want to do something about it. because of the swill of money, it could be said that those people 'can't' do anything about it. It's going to take something radical, and I don't think football has the moral application to do that atm. I feel parts of Football has already got boring, and is riddled with reprehensible elements. I guess I might be seen as a grumpy (middle aged!) man, but I'd be intrigued to see how many other fans, of similar age, disagree with me, generally. Young(ish)  football fans, who know nothing more than the Premier League era, are largely blinkered and think everything related to that is the mutts nutts. I feel for them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

My morning Teams call with our NE office is going to be an interesting one.

The Mags will be particularly upset as their take over never happened and the Mackems will be overjoyed.

I might remind them of an incident at Carrow Rd where some newly minted fans waved £20 notes at us.

The Mags are seething  but they generally are most of the time.

The Mackems are 'optimistic and 'quietly confident'. This and the threat of a salary cap being lifted has them feeling much happier.

1 minute ago, Kathy said:

Why aren't I 22?

Well that would mean you no longer have a hankering for Young Boys. 

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Still banging the drum Greavsy?

Not at all, just trying to add some humour. 

8 hours ago, essex canary said:

Perhaps Thirsty Lizard is too busy working on a government Test and Trace contract?

No chance of that - I'm not a personal friend of Matt Hancock. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Haven’t Marseille been involved in corruption in the past in French football? The city has a reputation as an organised crime stronghold.

No more so than London or any number of other big cities around the world.

1 hour ago, Crafty Canary said:

Haven’t Marseille been involved in corruption in the past in French football? The city has a reputation as an organised crime stronghold.

Guessing, but I think that was the Bernard Tapie years.