Sign in to follow this  
Six Pack

Sorensen

Two crucial errors in two games by him has our campaign almost derailed !

We all know about his ball watching & lack of activity which let Watford in for their winner but then this lazy pass to Cantwell which was intercepted led to QPR getting their penalty ! A lot of people have blamed Zimmerman (who touched the QPR player in the area) and Vrancic (for not bringing down the QPR player closest to the loose ball) for the goal. But (with QPR looking to equalise) we actually won a loose ball on the left and had Sorensen passed quickly to Cantwell straight away - there was every chance we could have scored. Instead he procrastinated like a great grandmother putting on makeup and telegraphed his move, waiting until the defender was smack between him and Cantwell and then tried passing it ! This guy is so slow in thought and action how can some of you seriously consider him in midfield ? 2 out of 2 (4 points lost) is enough evidence for me to remove him from the team for Barnsley, let alone consider him for CM. There is no way he is remotely close to Skipp, Rupp, Vrancic & Tettey - I am not sure if he is better than Kenny (who at least tries).

Maybe he's just had too much football and his concentration has gone in the last minutes of these games - but it's definately cost us ! I could see that pass to Cantwell as soon as it presented itself.

1 minute ago, Six Pack said:

Two crucial errors in two games by him has our campaign almost derailed !

We all know about his ball watching & lack of activity which let Watford in for their winner but then this lazy pass to Cantwell which was intercepted led to QPR getting their penalty ! A lot of people have blamed Zimmerman (who touched the QPR player in the area) and Vrancic (for not bringing down the QPR player closest to the loose ball) for the goal. But (with QPR looking to equalise) we actually won a loose ball on the left and had Sorensen passed quickly to Cantwell straight away - there was every chance we could have scored. Instead he procrastinated like a great grandmother putting on makeup and telegraphed his move, waiting until the defender was smack between him and Cantwell and then tried passing it ! This guy is so slow in thought and action how can some of you seriously consider him in midfield ? 2 out of 2 (4 points lost) is enough evidence for me to remove him from the team for Barnsley, let alone consider him for CM. There is no way he is remotely close to Skipp, Rupp, Vrancic & Tettey - I am not sure if he is better than Kenny (who at least tries).

Maybe he's just had too much football and his concentration has gone in the last minutes of these games - but it's definately cost us ! I could see that pass to Cantwell as soon as it presented itself.

We felt the same...screaming for him to make the pass to Cantwell on the wing. It was a simple one. Yet, there were a chain of events after too, not least the foul on McLean.

I think there is definitely a football brain there though Six Pack. And he often makes the pass at the very last second, showing a degree of coolness under pressure. Yet we need to see him in midfield don't we? Then we can assess him more seriously. Players learn from mistakes too. I bet Lungi will be learning so much playing out of position too. I think he will be fine and in a year he may really step up.

Sure, he has made an error or two, but he has done very well overall as a makeshift during this run overall considering he had never played there before in his life.

But deciding that he isn't a worth a run in the team in his best position based on performances in a position that he's never played before is ridiculous. Stiepermann wasn't up to much at left back but was a key player in his actual position the season after, Rupp was crap on the wing last season but looks the part in midfield and I'm sure there are loads of other examples.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

but then this lazy pass to Cantwell which was intercepted led to QPR getting their penalty !

Eh?

Play of the ball gets intercepted all the time in games, like literally every minute or 2! Blaming him for the penalty is really scraping the barrel. To balance it out, I think most supporters would say Lungi has far exceeded our expectations playing in an out of position role, and one or two mistakes is certainly perfectly reasonable - he’s a human, not a robot!

This criticism isn’t warranted.

10 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

We win as a team, we lose as a team. I am sure individual mistakes are discussed within the group. Never understood the need to scapegoat.............

Is it necessary to use the "scapegoat" card everytime ??!! - why not respond constructively ? At work if one employee made decisive errors all the time - would it be something to look into ? 

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Has he stolen your girlfriend? 

There is a chance - but any delay and the a QPR player might slip in before him !

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Is it necessary to use the "scapegoat" card everytime ??!! - why not respond constructively ? At work if one employee made decisive errors all the time - would it be something to look into ? 

It is a sport, where there are so many variables that it is absurd to make any comparison with other forms of work

As following your logic we should replace both Krul and McGovern as they have made decisive errors every time the opposition scores

Perhaps we should sack Farke for picking them, Webber for recommending Farke .........etc

43 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

But you are scapegoating, it is a team game and I quite constructively said we win as a team, we lose as a team and I will add we draw as a team, if you have ever played a team sport you will understand that. There are so many reasons we did not win against QPR and only got a 1-1 draw and it is not all down to that one pass. As I said I am sure that one mistake, along with all the other negatives and positives in the game will be discussed with the team by Daniel Farke and the coaching staff. It really is a binary argument to single out one incident/player without reference to the context of the game and the performance (or lack of it) of the other members of the team. By way of an example, that pass could still have been made, leading to a goal being conceded, but we could have been 3-0 up at the time, that mistake will still have been discussed by DF and the coaching staff, but you would not have singled that out because we won and we would not be having this discussion and I would not have had to call you out for scapegoating 🤣............

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

13 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Making hyperbolic statements only serves to undermine your case. makes you look a bit trollish & attention seeking  perhaps ...

The main problem he has is he's playing left-back and he's very right-footed. Despite that he's still been able to play some great through balls during his time in that position, but in general it's easier for defenders if they know he's generally going to cut inside as it gives them an extra couple of seconds. 

I don't think he can really be blamed for that - he's not playing in his position.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

It is a sport, where there are so many variables that it is absurd to make any comparison with other forms of work

As following your logic we should replace both Krul and McGovern as they have made decisive errors every time the opposition scores

Perhaps we should sack Farke for picking them, Webber for recommending Farke .........etc

Tim Krul doesn't make errors every game ! I am not looking to see DF sacked  but those errors by Sorensen were not forced errors - if a fast winger beat him for pace it wouldn't be an error ! his shot was cleared off the line - that's not an error ! being not switched on made the difference !

10 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Making hyperbolic statements only serves to undermine your case. makes you look a bit trollish & attention seeking  perhaps ...

trolling, attention seeking ???!! what's that got to do with the thread ? stop wasting time with garbage !

3 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

trolling, attention seeking ???!! what's that got to do with the thread ? stop wasting time with garbage !

Certainly. If you'll stop making stupidly exaggerated comments.

Just now, ron obvious said:

Talk about the football Ron - not anything else !

You said that Sorensen made 'decisive errors all the time'. That's a ludicrous overstatement which looks like attention seeing. And how on Earth is that not football related??

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

34 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

But you are scapegoating, it is a team game and I quite constructively said we win as a team, we lose as a team and I will add we draw as a team, if you have ever played a team sport you will understand that. There are so many reasons we did not win against QPR and only got a 1-1 draw and it is not all down to that one pass. As I said I am sure that one mistake, along with all the other negatives and positives in the game will be discussed with the team by Daniel Farkef and the coaching team. it really is a binary argument to single out one incident/player without reference to the context of the game and the performance (or lack of it) of the other members of the team. By way of an example, that pass could still have been made, leading to a goal being conceded, but we could have been 3-0 up at the time, that mistake will still have been discussed by DF and the coaching staff, but you would not have singled that out because we won and we would not be having this discussion and I would not have had to call you out for scapegoating 🤣............

Understand your point of view but I make comment despite if we win, draw or lose. In all the years (45) I've followed the team - this is probably the best I've seen us play. I don't usually spout all these superlatives when we win cos there's now an expectation that we play well and win. If there is criticism it is due to the fact I think you are letting ourselves down when this doesn't need to be the case.

You get some pretty good responses here - but you always encounter those who will personally attack you because their opinion differs from yours or they just haven't the patience - which I suggest don't come onto this forum !

11 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

You said that Sorensen made 'decisive errors all the time'. That's a ludicrous overstatement which looks like attention seeing. And how on Earth is that not football related??

I said he made decisive errors in the last two games which led to us losing points. Both errors happened in the last minutes of the games which suggest concentration. I wasn't negative about his "other" play such as defensive headering which was good, joining the attack and marking his man and his space - those are not in question ! If you watched the last two games you would have saw what I saw. Whether you chose to ignore these shortcomings or not is your business but don't say they didn't happen. Making crucial errors every game by a player is maybe OK by you but not with me ! If it's acceptable by you then you're ludicrous !

3 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

Understand your point of view but I make comment despite if we win, draw or lose. In all the years (45) I've followed the team - this is probably the best I've seen us play. I don't usually spout all these superlatives when we win cos there's now an expectation that we play well and win. If there is criticism it is due to the fact I think you are letting ourselves down when this doesn't need to be the case.

You get some pretty good responses here - but you always encounter those who will personally attack you because their opinion differs from yours or they just haven't the patience - which I suggest don't come onto this forum !

I attacked the wildly over-the-top you made about Sorensen. It's so exaggerated as to be beyond opinion - unless you want to rewrite the English language, which a lot of people do (City1st being one of the worst culprits)

It's a particular bugbear of mine; any sensible argument gets shut down by people with an agenda trying to prove why such-&-such a player is useless when they're in a bad run of form or just don't fit in with our pattern of play, or haven't had much game time (important for us), or are being played out of position (!) or are probably carrying an injury. Very few players are going to get to Champs. level & be 'useless'. Much more interesting to discuss why they're not performing.

Incidentally I think Sorensen had a very poor game against Watford, one of his worst I think, & was much better against QPR. Apart from better passing & interceptions he had a shot blocked on the line. Overall I thought he was pretty good.

5 minutes ago, Six Pack said:

I said he made decisive errors in the last two games which led to us losing points. Both errors happened in the last minutes of the games which suggest concentration. I wasn't negative about his "other" play such as defensive headering which was good, joining the attack and marking his man and his space - those are not in question ! If you watched the last two games you would have saw what I saw. Whether you chose to ignore these shortcomings or not is your business but don't say they didn't happen. Making crucial errors every game by a player is maybe OK by you but not with me ! If it's acceptable by you then you're ludicrous !

But that is not "making decisive errors all the time" !!!!! And Mario's missed tackle looked far worse to me.

Edited by ron obvious
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

But that is not "making decisive errors all the time" !!!!! And Mario's missed tackle looked far worse to me.

When the ball rebounded loose, Vrancic was the nearest Norwich player to it (the ball) - he wasn't closer than the QPR player though so we were disappointed he didn't win the ball and disappointed he didn't just take the QPR player out -  he should have fouled him. I didn't expect Vrancic to  win that ball - if he could tackle he'd be in the team every week ! Sorensen's decision making needs to be sharper than that to play CM and that's what I'm questioning !

Considering he's a right-footed centre midfielder playing at left back he's been excellent. Yeah he's made the odd mistake, but that's to be expected really when he's playing as wildly out of position as he is. Imagine if we had to play Vrancic or McLean at right back, it would be a disaster, so the fact that he's played 15 games there without much incident is such a credit to him. Nobody in our squad could've done a better job filling in. 

He has looked a little tired last couple of games, but Farke also said a few weeks ago that the guy really needs a rest, but we just haven't been able to give him one.

In the main, he looks composed and cultured in possession, physically strong and good defensively. I'd love to see him alongside Skipp in holding midfield. Really don't think it's necessary to lay into him considering he's a young guy in a new country who's done a thoroughly decent job in an unfamiliar position, and saying he's not remotely close to any of our other midfielders is just plain wrong.

• Like 4

I blame Sorensen's Great Grandmother.

If she hadn't have had the brass neck to shack up with Grandad, Jacob's Mum would never have been born. She'd never have given birth to him and he'd never have been on the pitch to make that aberration.

Webber Out!

Derailed??? I think we'd have all taken where we are now back in September? 

Considering Sorenson had never played LB before then I think he's done extremely well, and surprised he hasn't made more errors in all honesty, I'm looking forward to him getting a chance in his natural position at some point. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Exactly, the missed tackle was a far bigger problem - and a very tired one at that. Skipp wins that one.

OP: I really can't agree with this. Yes, the odd error has crept in, but considering the following:

1. Fixtures have been coming in thick and fast due to the congested nature of the season (and a pandemic)
2. He's not had a replacement to give him a breather, linked to 1
3. He's playing completely out of position in a new team, in a new country and isn't really all that left-footed
4. Mentally it's more draining to be playing out of position

then I'm amazed he's stood up as consistently as he has. He's shown a lot of game intelligence considering he's had to learn a new position off the hoof.

Mark my words, there's a real player in there - and when he gets into midfield and takes a few games to get partnerships established, he'll show you. Sørensen and Rupp together, or Sørensen and Skipp together - that looks a really good midfield two.

• Like 3

He looks a good player to me.   If I have a concern I am not sure how quickly he will move the ball on, and in the CDM role you get more time on the ball but it is vital not to give it away.