1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

That is a a bit sad of you.  My view that players should not be praised and told how wonderful they are in a season where we were relegated is consistent over the years and is in no way attention seeking.

Ok   , so it's fine for you to call me Hoggos  Lackey, but it's sad if I say I'd rather not be  stuck in a lift with you. Whatever Trevor.

"My view that players should not be praised and told how wonderful they are in a season where we were relegated is consistent over the years"....what you just said. 

Ben was terrific all through the championship promotion season, with only minor signs of inexperience and in the PL season he never had a regular partner, sometimes not even with a recognised CB next to him - and also played with an injury for quite a few games - so he gets a big concession for all that.  Yes, he got caught out sometimes, but then that isn't a surprise, given the quality of the opposition and way the season went with injuries and lack of a settled defence..........what you said 17hours ago.

......Praise for a player in a season where we were relegated....is it any wonder you are mocked sometimes?

And dont try to re explain what you wrote, I can read and have no problem with comprehension. Thankyou.

3 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Ok   , so it's fine for you to call me Hoggos  Lackey, but it's sad if I say I'd rather not be  stuck in a lift with you. Whatever Trevor.

"My view that players should not be praised and told how wonderful they are in a season where we were relegated is consistent over the years"....what you just said. 

Ben was terrific all through the championship promotion season, with only minor signs of inexperience and in the PL season he never had a regular partner, sometimes not even with a recognised CB next to him - and also played with an injury for quite a few games - so he gets a big concession for all that.  Yes, he got caught out sometimes, but then that isn't a surprise, given the quality of the opposition and way the season went with injuries and lack of a settled defence..........what you said 17hours ago.

......Praise for a player in a season where we were relegated....is it any wonder you are mocked sometimes?

And dont try to re explain what you wrote, I can read and have no problem with comprehension. Thankyou.

Think you're struggling there, I never said Godfrey was "wonderful" in the relegation season, only that he can be forgiven some of the problems of the defence given the lack of a setled partnership there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

This forum is actually getting pathetic now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Personally I feel singling out and castigating one (and it is only one) of our players is pathetic. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Personally I feel singling out and castigating one (and it is only one) of our players is pathetic. 

I like Cantwell and agree with you. Works hard for the team, gets out of some very tricky situations and has a good football knowledge. Doesn’t assist/create enough in my eyes, but he isn’t Messi.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I like Cantwell and agree with you. Works hard for the team, gets out of some very tricky situations and has a good football knowledge. Doesn’t assist/create enough in my eyes, but he isn’t Messi.

Five pages forensically dissecting the fact he doesn’t assist/create enough and isn’t Messi? Where are the similar threads pointing out the other players shortfalls, because every one of them and us has them? Nowhere, that’s where, and neither should there be as it would be just as embarrassing as this one. We have “appreciation” threads for other players and there was even one on a ref a couple of games ago but Cantwell gets this!

Time to give the bloke an even break!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Five pages forensically dissecting the fact he doesn’t assist/create enough and isn’t Messi? Where are the similar threads pointing out the other players shortfalls, because every one of them and us has them? Nowhere, that’s where, and neither should there be as it would be just as embarrassing as this one. We have “appreciation” threads for other players and there was even one on a ref a couple of games ago but Cantwell gets this!

I’m sure Kenny has had his threads over the last couple of years. Hugill more recently. Rupp last season. Krul had his detractors 2 seasons ago.

There is no harm in having an opinion. We are Norwich fans ultimately and nothing would please me more to see Cantwell progress in his game. Just like it pleased me that Krul regained the form he had a Newcastle, Rupp looks decent in his proper position.

Hugill the jury is still out for me. It may be a case of square peg in round hole.

Idah, I’m not convinced so far. I think he needs a loan in Div 1.

As for Kenny, I think there are better options than him in midfield although he has become more effective in the last few games which is progress and should be applauded. 

Cantwell needs to keep learning and improving and maybe he’ll get his PL transfer but at present as I said before he flatters to deceive. IMO.

29 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’m sure Kenny has had his threads over the last couple of years. Hugill more recently. Rupp last season. Krul had his detractors 2 seasons ago.

There is no harm in having an opinion. We are Norwich fans ultimately and nothing would please me more to see Cantwell progress in his game. Just like it pleased me that Krul regained the form he had a Newcastle, Rupp looks decent in his proper position.

Hugill the jury is still out for me. It may be a case of square peg in round hole.

Idah, I’m not convinced so far. I think he needs a loan in Div 1.

As for Kenny, I think there are better options than him in midfield although he has become more effective in the last few games which is progress and should be applauded. 

Cantwell needs to keep learning and improving and maybe he’ll get his PL transfer but at present as I said before he flatters to deceive. IMO.

Still don't know why Idahs loan move to Doncaster didn't go through given everyone was convinced it was about to happen

Would have been the perfect move for him, now I feel its getting too late

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

TBF, this sort of thing has always happened, although this thread is a particularly awful example of the pantomime “I’m right”, “No, I’m right” argument.

And having said that, I’m going to join in. 😉

Cantwell is clearly one of those marmite players who generates strong opinions, and for those of us on the positive end of the spectrum it looks a lot like the negative views have been influenced by the social media, topless photos, long hair, gloves and Alice band stuff, even if his detractors claim it’s all about the football. “Constructive” criticism for him when other young players get a free pass just encourages that view.

Right, I’ve said my bit, I’m going to try and stay away from this thread now to avoid further windups.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jersey Canary said:

I’m sure Kenny has had his threads over the last couple of years.

He certainly has but there was also a Kenny McLean Appreciation Society thread just a few days ago. Maybe you'd like to start one for Todd? Just for balance you understand.

13 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

TBF, this sort of thing has always happened, although this thread is a particularly awful example of the pantomime “I’m right”, “No, I’m right” argument.

Cantwell is clearly one of those marmite players who generates strong opinions, and for those of us on the positive end of the spectrum it looks a lot like the negative views have been influenced by the social media, topless photos, long hair, gloves and Alice band stuff, even if his detractors claim it’s all about the football. “Constructive” criticism for him when other young players get a free pass just encourages that view.

Right, I’ve said my bit, I’m going to try and stay away from this thread now to avoid further windups.

What a strange post. I haven’t seen any posts in a personal level about Cantwell. I haven’t commented on anything other than his footballing ability.

It seems like another post of anyone who disagrees with you that you try and shut them down.  

Ultimately there is nothing wrong in discussing Cantwell, his progress, his shortcomings and where he could do better and that’s the same for any of the players.

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Not sure if you think I was trying to have a pop at Cantwell by bigging up Buendia’s key pass / assist stats, but for the record I rate both players highly - my post was merely a response to @chicken who specifically did not value the key pass stat, rather than an attempt to bring down Cantwell.

I don’t think it’s particularly fair to use those stats against Cantwell when he’s only played half the games of Buendia and has struggled to find rhythm with niggling injuries!

Last season in the prem Cantwell probably was neck in neck with Buendia overall. Both were understandably inconsistent, both made 8 goal contributions, both sometimes put the defence in jeopardy with poor decisions, but both also had great attitudes on the whole and were more than happy to get stuck in.

That feat is certainly far more impressive for Cantwell who was nowhere near Buendia in the champs 18/19 season. A huge improvement!

In terms of this season unfortunately for Todd he has only played half of our games, whilst Buendia has upped it for us Todd has only just started to get back up to speed. Expecting much more from him second half of the season!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

17 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Not sure if you think I was trying to have a pop at Cantwell......

Not at all Hank. I thought you made some very good and constructive points about both Todd and Emi. I don't mean to be having a pop at anyone in particular.

All players have plus and minus points and most of the debate has been interesting. Plenty of it in this thread has been. it just seems to me that generally there is such eagerness for negative posts about Cantwell specifically - over and above any other player. He's developed beyond all expectation over the last year of so and if he carries on like that we could have a real gem on our hands. Lets just have a bit of balance to celebrate that, at least now and again

• Thanks 1

Can we close this thread now, five pages ! The bloke does his best in every game, sometimes it works, sometimes not BUT he plays with his heart on his sleeve, surely you can’t ask for more.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Breaking News.

"Next week we discuss, in full, Todd Cantwell's left big toenail. Have your opinions at the ready and keep your wits about you, as the debate is likely to be quite heated.

In view of the vital  need to keep on topic any mention of hairstyles, gloves, Alice bands,Twitter accounts or nail varnish will be discouraged.

"Leave your bias at the door," as our friend Benjamin Button would say.

Those over the age of eighty, red-necks, slap heads and Ipswich Town supporters need not respond."  

For f-cks sake folks give it a rest, give TC a break. The merits or otherwise of signing Fabio Quagliarella had nothing on this continuous inquest. 

Todd is the Middle-English word for fox. Fox hunting was banned years ago.

Edited by BroadstairsR

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I've commented on Cantwell because that is what this thread is about. I don't go along with the op and some others who seem to want to run him down as a player, but I do want to be able to criticise him or any other player without being labelled a wind up merchant or rudely dismissed for my views.  I quite like the guy and I think he will have a good career - and I want him to reach the top of the game, but at the same time I do find his lifestyle hard to relate to and think that his image consciousness is sometimes at odds with football.  Footballers ought - imo - to stay off social media, or at least keep it low key.

His contribution to the last two seasons has been mixed. The first season he made a good impact when he came into the team, lost his place for a while and when he came back he didn't look quite so effective.  The PL season he started like a house on fire and turned in some brilliant performances and yes, he scored some good goals.  After that though, he (and to be fair the rest of the team) lost their way a bit and in that he became less effective both goal wise and creative wise, then later he improved a bit after Farke made a public comment about people needing to take more responsibility to make things happen.

I will never think that players in a relegated season should get too much praise, which seems to be a big crime in some people's eyes, but on Todd, I would say he has the potential to be a top club player but on the last two seasons' evidence needed to mature more as an individual to be able to do that. On this season's evidence so far, he looks to be a more complete player and that will help him, but still a way to go yet.

I wonder why he never shows for taking free kicks, as a player of his sort ought to be great at that and it would add that bit extra to his game. Most creative midfielders do that, but I've never seen Todd take one.  Emi takes them a lot of the time - and not always that good at them, so I would like to see Todd step up sometimes and take a few.

There you go. That is my last word (hopefully) on this thread. I hope it sums up what I think without causing any controversy. You can agree or disagree with it, comment on it or ignore it, it's up to you, but don't accuse me of anything other than trying to be reasonable, because if you do I will be back!

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I wonder why he never shows for taking free kicks, as a player of his sort ought to be great at that and it would add that bit extra to his game. Most creative midfielders do that, but I've never seen Todd take one.  Emi takes them a lot of the time - and not always that good at them, so I would like to see Todd step up sometimes and take a few.

There you go. That is my last word (hopefully) on this thread. I hope it sums up what I think without causing any controversy. You can agree or disagree with it, comment on it or ignore it, it's up to you, but don't accuse me of anything other than trying to be reasonable, because if you do I will be back!

Wessi didn't

Last season he performed above all expectations in his first ever season at Premier League level having only played at Championship level for the first time the year before.

His goals didn't mean 'diddly squat' and to score 6 premier league goals in midfield for a relegated team is no mean feat. He attracted plaudits from pundits and premier league fans throughout the season.

The desperation to criticise is cringeworthy, claiming efforts made last season don't count, aren't good enough, etc etc.

He's not the complete player. He isn't going to walk into a top 4 premier league side. Does that matter? For the level we are playing at he's one of the best in the division and he's proven he can contribute at the level above too.

53 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Last season he performed above all expectations in his first ever season at Premier League level having only played at Championship level for the first time the year before.

His goals didn't mean 'diddly squat' and to score 6 premier league goals in midfield for a relegated team is no mean feat. He attracted plaudits from pundits and premier league fans throughout the season.

The desperation to criticise is cringeworthy, claiming efforts made last season don't count, aren't good enough, etc etc.

He's not the complete player. He isn't going to walk into a top 4 premier league side. Does that matter? For the level we are playing at he's one of the best in the division and he's proven he can contribute at the level above too.

You can't help yourself, can you?  There is nothing cringeworthy about criticising players and there is nothing wrong in saying players' - all the players for that matter - contributions weren't good enough in a season we were relegated in. 

Do you think Pukki thought "I was great, I scored 11 goals?". Of course not, any more than Cantwell would think "I was great, I scored six goals". Players - if thhey are worth their salt - will be bitterly disappointed they didn't do more to stay up.....so why are we not allowed to say the same?  That is what commenting on the football is all about! 

And as for your comment does it matter he's not the complete player or isn't going to walk into a top 4 pl team - well yes, that does matter, especially if you want the best for someone. I want all our players to be the best they can be and when I see things that make me think they are not being the best they can be, then that imo is worth talking about.

I used to say the same to morty - its a discussion board, get used to it.

Edited by lake district canary

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

You can't help yourself, can you?  There is nothing cringeworthy about criticising players and there is nothing wrong in saying players' - all the players for that matter - contributions weren't good enough in a season we were relegated in. 

Do you think Pukki thought "I was great, I scored 11 goals?". Of course not, any more than Cantwell would think "I was great, I scored six goals". Players - if thhey are worth their salt - will be bitterly disappointed they didn't do more to stay up.....so why are we not allowed to say the same?  That is what commenting on the football is all about! 

And as for your comment does it matter he's not the complete player or isn't going to walk into a top 4 pl team - well yes, that does matter, especially if you want the best for someone. I want all our players to be the best they can be and when I see things that make me think they are not being the best they can be, then that imo is worth talking about.

I used to say the same to morty - its a discussion board, get used to it.

Maybe you could take note of your own advice then, because that's what i'm doing, discussing and giving my opinion.

Isn’t it usually down to the manager who takes set pieces?
I seem to recall several posters making quite a lot of the fact that Snoddy grabbed the ball off RVW to take a penalty. Imagine the outcry if Toddy took set pieces and was rubbish.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Maybe you could take note of your own advice then, because that's what i'm doing, discussing and giving my opinion.

Giving football opinion is fine as is disagreeing or discussing things, but rubbishing what other people put because you don't agree with them is not fine.

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Giving football opinion is fine as is disagreeing or discussing things, but rubbishing what other people put because you don't agree with them is not fine.

My opinion is that your opinion is cringeworthy, whereas you:

Now hogesar and wcorkcanary ignore my well put posts and resort to mockery because they can't get their heads round the fact that quite a bit of what I say actually has some foundation in reality.

You clearly think i'm not at the intellectual level to 'get my head around' your clearly eloquent, 'well put' post which in your mind is full of merit and i'm incapable of seeing it.

There we go.

46 minutes ago, hogesar said:

My opinion is that your opinion is cringeworthy, whereas you:

You clearly think i'm not at the intellectual level to 'get my head around' your clearly eloquent, 'well put' post which in your mind is full of merit and i'm incapable of seeing it.

There we go.

No, you are just like a lot of posters, you pick and choose what you quote ignoring the wider points made.

Like my diddly squat comment - the whole comment was -

"Scoring 6 or 7 goals in a relegated team means diddly squat imo. Good that he scored goals, but there is more to it than that."   

So I praised his goals and I would have thought it's obvious that I was saying that his 6 goals did not help us stay up - which they  didn't - but that it was good that he scored goals.   Now I could have phrased it better, but really, is it that hard to understand? Would you like me to spell out anything else for you?  

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I do find his lifestyle hard to relate to and think that his image consciousness is sometimes at odds with football.  Footballers ought - imo - to stay off social media, or at least keep it low key.

Your first 9 words are a telling insight into why there’s a handful of the older generation that have an issue. They can’t relate, and do not understand.

The point is that social media today is essential to promoting the brand of the modern footballer. Todd has a contract with Puma, and I’m sure he’s payed fairly handsomely for it. He has every right to do that too, that is part of his livelihood. It doesn’t matter that the said older generation can’t relate to it - at the end of the day, they’re not likely to be the ones asking Mum and Dad for a new pair of Todd Cantwell boots for his or her birthday. I would imagine these sportswear firms are targeting an audience from around 7 to 40 years old or so (rough guess). So I’m pretty confident that if Todd wasn’t promoting and building the brand via social media then he’d probably find his commercial opportunities would be somewhat marginal to say the least.

Not so long back on here we had a thread were people couldn’t get their head around his latest ‘silly’ Instagram post. The ‘silliness’ he was guilty of was pulling a few harmless faces and poses, but tellingly some people didn’t recognise that in each shot he was showing off different angles of his latest Puma boots - and that was blatantly the whole reason of that particular post. He was even dressed head to toe in Puma clothing too just to compound that fact.

The only issue I have with such platforms is trolling idiots who have nothing better to do than be unpleasant, just to see if they can get a rise. Harmless snaps of the footballer in question on the other hand are exactly just that... harmless. Really don’t understand why it bothers people that much. His life, his choice, his right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

You’re entitled to your opinion pal, everyone is. It’s this pathetic I know more than you rubbish I see on here! One poster came at me one time, my theory was right and they told me “they weren’t interested in what I had to say”. Don’t reply to someone on a forum then!

25 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Your first 9 words are a telling insight into why there’s a handful of the older generation that have an issue. They can’t relate, and do not understand.

The point is that social media today is essential to promoting the brand of the modern footballer. Todd has a contract with Puma, and I’m sure he’s payed fairly handsomely for it. He has every right to do that too, that is part of his livelihood. It doesn’t matter that the said older generation can’t relate to it - at the end of the day, they’re not likely to be the ones asking Mum and Dad for a new pair of Todd Cantwell boots for his or her birthday. I would imagine these sportswear firms are targeting an audience from around 7 to 40 years old or so (rough guess). So I’m pretty confident that if Todd wasn’t promoting and building the brand via social media then he’d probably find his commercial opportunities would be somewhat marginal to say the least.

Not so long back on here we had a thread were people couldn’t get their head around his latest ‘silly’ Instagram post. The ‘silliness’ he was guilty of was pulling a few harmless faces and poses, but tellingly some people didn’t recognise that in each shot he was showing off different angles of his latest Puma boots - and that was blatantly the whole reason of that particular post. He was even dressed head to toe in Puma clothing too just to compound that fact.

The only issue I have with such platforms is trolling idiots who have nothing better to do than be unpleasant, just to see if they can get a rise. Harmless snaps of the footballer in question on the other hand are exactly just that... harmless. Really don’t understand why it bothers people that much. His life, his choice, his right.

Alex, I fully understand about social media and promotional work done by players. I get it. But In my previous work I have over several years seen some young people's lives all but ruined by social media.  I've seen the effects of online bullying amongst schoolkids - I've experienced it myself on here, ring leaders leading the abuse and others coming in on their coat tails.  I believe Todd had some of that too when he was younger and more recently too.  I should maybe have stopped posting on here years ago and really I decided was not going to let some keyboard warriors push me off - and I think Todd has had the same reaction - he is not going to let them beat him and stop him from what he is doing.  Good for him.

But I do think the best thing to do with social media is to get off it if you are in the public eye - don't leave yourself open to abuse. Todd may think having a sponsorship with Puma is a fantastic thing, getting money for it and building an image. But the question I would ask is what is more important - image or football?  Some would argue you can have both, like Beckham did, but players that can really handle it well both are few and far between (imo). It is clear Todd has in the past lost his focus a bit with the hype surrounding him - he is a bit older and wiser now, I think, so that may not happen again, but there is still that danger of believing the hype.

Social media has in it the best and the worst about life - it is a reflection of people of all sorts. The problem is it is instantly accessible to both good and bad and often it seems the bad becomes the prevalent too easily - you only have to look on you tube comments to see the amount of abuse and ugliness there in responses to all sorts of things. I would say to any younger person - get your priorities right, get your heads out of your phones and look outwards, not inwards. Social media presents largely false imagery and polarised arguments and attitudes - and footballers (as this is what this forum is about) should focus more on their profession than their image. Imo of course! 🙂

7 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

“Forensically dissecting”? I’m not quite sure where you are going with this!  All players have their pluses and negatives.

if you want a Cantwell appreciation thread, start one!

29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Alex, I fully understand about social media and promotional work done by players. I get it. But In my previous work I have over several years seen some young people's lives all but ruined by social media.  I've seen the effects of online bullying amongst schoolkids - I've experienced it myself on here, ring leaders leading the abuse and others coming in on their coat tails.  I believe Todd had some of that too when he was younger and more recently too.  I should maybe have stopped posting on here years ago and really I decided was not going to let some keyboard warriors push me off - and I think Todd has had the same reaction - he is not going to let them beat him and stop him from what he is doing.  Good for him.

But I do think the best thing to do with social media is to get off it if you are in the public eye - don't leave yourself open to abuse. Todd may think having a sponsorship with Puma is a fantastic thing, getting money for it and building an image. But the question I would ask is what is more important - image or football?  Some would argue you can have both, like Beckham did, but players that can really handle it well both are few and far between (imo). It is clear Todd has in the past lost his focus a bit with the hype surrounding him - he is a bit older and wiser now, I think, so that may not happen again, but there is still that danger of believing the hype.

Social media has in it the best and the worst about life - it is a reflection of people of all sorts. The problem is it is instantly accessible to both good and bad and often it seems the bad becomes the prevalent too easily - you only have to look on you tube comments to see the amount of abuse and ugliness there in responses to all sorts of things. I would say to any younger person - get your priorities right, get your heads out of your phones and look outwards, not inwards. Social media presents largely false imagery and polarised arguments and attitudes - and footballers (as this is what this forum is about) should focus more on their profession than their image. Imo of course! 🙂

Actually, I agree with a lot of what you say, Lakey, I’ve all but given up with social media myself, Facebook in particular just became **** over the first lockdown and no longer appeals to me at all. So I hear you 👍

Your question does show you’re still massively missing the point though, with all due respect. It should read ‘What’s more important to him - money or football?’, and not ‘image or football?’.

The image side of things is essentially just a necessary tool used to generate and continue said sponsorship, and ultimately, money. That’s why it’s important. He’s simply using it as part of his job as a modern day footballer and the spin off (significant) revenue he can generate from it. Which makes total sense to me given his career could end tomorrow. 

If we were in the same position then I don’t think we’d be looking to quit social media either as he clearly gets some massive rewards from it that you and I quite frankly won’t, and never will. So his situation is completely incomparable to ours, the man on the street. However, it’s not all beneficial - he has to put up with dogs abuse on levels that we never will, so there is a cost of course, but to be fair, he seems to have a good handle on that since that fractured experience a few months ago, so good for him.

So, to summarise, there’s absolutely no need for him to give up social media, in fact in his position, it would be quite foolish.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Your question does show you’re still massively missing the point though, with all due respect. It should read ‘What’s more important to him - money or football?’, and not ‘image or football?’.

Fair enough, but my response would be similar.  if you are successful as a footballer, you will get the rewards for that in your salary and any sponsorship money is extra, so at an early stage of someone's career, they should be concentrating totally - and I mean totally  - on the football. I know that begs the question what do you do if you're a young footballer and someone comes along and offers you all sorts of things that will give you publicity/sponsorship/boots and the attached money, but then there is that question again - how much extra stuff has to happen before it gets in the way of your football. Too much distraction and you risk losing focus - and young footballers can lose their way all too easily unless they are carefully mentored. 

Agents can be either an asset or a hindrance in that case - a good agent will look after a player in every sense - a not so good one will just have eyes on money. The pitfalls are many and as I have said several times, to his credit, Todd has responded to his critics well so far this season. Long may that continue and I hope he has a decent agent and does not go down the thick playboy route that some others of a similar age have done...cough.....Grealish.  Todd is better than that.