A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

On 04/05/2021 at 08:20, BigFish said:

Seems like it has all gone quite on the Tory opinion polls quoters on here. Could this be in some way because Johnson has pissed his Vacination bounce lead up the wall in the same manner as he did the Brexit bounce?

Will find out today BF

This election will not be valid anyway, as Jools has pointed out on numerous occasions any election that has a high % of postal votes, and delays counting due to COVID restrictions is fraudulent.

Or maybe that is only the case when your side lose.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Will find out today BF

We will @Van wink, or rather I think we won't. I suspect what will happen is that Tories will win in Hartlepool and Andy Street will win in the West Midlands giving the Tories/Johnson something to crow about tomorrow. SNP will walked it in Scotland putting the UK in danger. Khan will win in London and as the results trickle in by Saturday Labour will show a smallish net gain in terms of councillors/councils but that will largely be ovelooked as the narrative will already by set.

Thing is the 2019 GE largely fractured politics as we know it and until that plays out in 2023/2024 we won't really know what the impact has been. What we do know is that if these elections had been fought with Johnson on the up (post-Brexit in 2020 or pre-sleaze in 2021) Labour would have been routed.

• Like 2

How much of the brexit party will be left at the end of this? 

Just back from the polling station. (Bring your own pencil)

Three different ballot papers.

I voted Tory, Independent and Green. (Give'em all a go) perm any 8 from 10.

53 minutes ago, BigFish said:

We will @Van wink, or rather I think we won't. I suspect what will happen is that Tories will win in Hartlepool and Andy Street will win in the West Midlands giving the Tories/Johnson something to crow about tomorrow. SNP will walked it in Scotland putting the UK in danger. Khan will win in London and as the results trickle in by Saturday Labour will show a smallish net gain in terms of councillors/councils but that will largely be ovelooked as the narrative will already by set.

Thing is the 2019 GE largely fractured politics as we know it and until that plays out in 2023/2024 we won't really know what the impact has been. What we do know is that if these elections had been fought with Johnson on the up (post-Brexit in 2020 or pre-sleaze in 2021) Labour would have been routed.

Still don't get it, do you smallfry -- Labour needs to be routed - What good would maintaining the status quo do for Labour?

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

How much of the brexit party will be left at the end of this? 

The Brexit Party served its purpose well and no longer exists.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Just back from the polling station. (Bring your own pencil)

Three different ballot papers.

I voted Tory, Independent and Green. (Give'em all a go) perm any 8 from 10.

Just went to exercise my franchise, it didnt get much exercise as there was a massive queue and it was raining, there was a Tory chap in a rather dodgy suit with a big brolly getting too close to the queue and offering shelter under his canopy, I decided against on this occasion. Will return when the sun is shining. 

Edited by Van wink

2 hours ago, BigFish said:

This will be the most accurate poll so far BF, presumably when you posted "Seems like it has all gone quite on the Tory opinion polls quoters on here. Could this be in some way because Johnson has pissed his Vacination bounce lead up the wall in the same manner as he did the Brexit bounce? "  you were suggesting that the support for the Tories was dropping back, as I say we will see today.

I admire your stoic approach but not the view that we will have to wait till 2023/2024 to see how things play out, it will be too late by then, I very much doubt that most Labour supporters would be quite so patient either.

For my part I cant support either party atm, but if this is a very bad day for Labour, then waiting isnt an option imo, change will need to be made whether that is in terms of policy, or personnel, or both.

Edited by Van wink

33 minutes ago, Jools said:

Yes it does, it simply changed its name to the Reform Party. Can't believe you're so ignorant about this since it wasn't that long ago you joyously announced the name change on this site, and happily told us you had sent in your membership fee.

58 minutes ago, Jools said:

UKIP does. Is Nigel still coining it in from them as well?

23 hours ago, Herman said:

Libdems are quite good in my local area, getting involved and sorting issues. The greens are OK too but the tories tend to get overall control. Probably explains why serco get a large chunk of council contracts. 

Just remembered that we have a big John Lewis and waitrose. I wonder if they'll get any blowback from the Emperor's snobbery. 😀

I'm in Eaton ward - Libdems equally doolally I'm afraid.

Edited by Yellow Fever
I will vote for the 'Non of the Above' or PR candidate.

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Of course it still exists, it has just had a marketing refresh and a name change to ensure that it continues to milk the very gullible, such as yourself, to keep supplementing Farage's already generous pension - as you say it seems to serve its purpose well 😂

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

This will be the most accurate poll so far BF, presumably when you posted "Seems like it has all gone quite on the Tory opinion polls quoters on here. Could this be in some way because Johnson has pissed his Vacination bounce lead up the wall in the same manner as he did the Brexit bounce? "  you were suggesting that the support for the Tories was dropping back, as I say we will see today.

I admire your stoic approach but not the view that we will have to wait till 2023/2024 to see how things play out, it will be too late by then, I very much doubt that most Labour supporters would be quite so patient either.

For my part I cant support either party atm, but if this is a very bad day for Labour, then waiting isnt an option imo, change will need to be made whether that is in terms of policy, or personnel, or both.

I guess the results are going to be disappointing but we should not forget what is going on around, the vaccine bounce, the collapse of Farage's gang, the light at the end of the covid tunnel etc and put them into context. I wouldn't think that radical personnel changes are needed but the results should be taken as a good firm boot up the aris. 

2 hours ago, Jools said:

Still don't get it, do you smallfry -- Labour needs to be routed - What good would maintaining the status quo do for Labour?

Meanwhile, in the US Biden is making America great again

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

The point I was making is that until Brexit works its way through the electoral cycle we won't really know where politics stands. Johnson had post Brexit opinion leads of 20%+ until his handling of Covid saw this evaporate. He had double digit opinion poll leads that would have seen major gains for the Tories until he was caught up in sleaze. Prof Curtice has the average lead of c5% which would see Labour gains today. Some pollsters have that lead as low as 2% which would see significant Labour gains. Of course it may not happen, but the question is how much has he changed the Conservatives. A Blukip approach would hoover up the homeless Brexit Party/UKippers but probably lose many traditional Tories. Until we have results we can compare like for like we will not know. But I look to Biden who appeared slow and steady but is now transforming the US for the better. If Starmer can learn from that approach we will all be better off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

The point I was making is that until Brexit works its way through the electoral cycle we won't really know where politics stands. Johnson had post Brexit opinion leads of 20%+ until his handling of Covid saw this evaporate. He had double digit opinion poll leads that would have seen major gains for the Tories until he was caught up in sleaze. Prof Curtice has the average lead of c5% which would see Labour gains today. Some pollsters have that lead as low as 2% which would see significant Labour gains. Of course it may not happen, but the question is how much has he changed the Conservatives. A Blukip approach would hoover up the homeless Brexit Party/UKippers but probably lose many traditional Tories. Until we have results we can compare like for like we will not know. But I look to Biden who appeared slow and steady but is now transforming the US for the better. If Starmer can learn from that approach we will all be better off.

I really don’t understand why you keep harping back to Brexit BF, it’s history, any potential short term economic damage is already being superseded by a “post Covid” ( I have my doubts) boom. If you are pinning your hopes on a Brexit disaster being the big issue at the next election then you way off the mark imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Just went to exercise my franchise, it didnt get much exercise as there was a massive queue and it was raining, there was a Tory chap in a rather dodgy suit with a big brolly getting too close to the queue and offering shelter under his canopy, I decided against on this occasion. Will return when the sun is shining. 

Well the dirty deed is done, as Ricardo said don’t  forget your pencil, like I did, not many spare ones left. However will democracy survive if we run out of pencils

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I really don’t understand why you keep harping back to Brexit BF, it’s history, any potential short term economic damage is already being superseded by a “post Covid” ( I have my doubts) boom. If you are pinning your hopes on a Brexit disaster being the big issue at the next election then you way off the mark imo.

Brexit reshaped many people's political identities, creating a particuar sort of English Nationlism. That is not harping back as you put it, that is reality on the ground. If anyone thinks a Tory win in Hartlepool is not the result of the Brexit campaign they are a fool.

Just now, BigFish said:

Brexit reshaped many people's political identities, creating a particuar sort of English Nationlism. That is not harping back as you put it, that is reality on the ground. If anyone thinks a Tory win in Hartlepool is not the result of the Brexit campaign they are a fool.

I’m not going to call anyone a fool, it’s a matter of opinion. You seem to discuss this as if Labour were a passive recipient of the public mood, what I think you are missing is that it’s their job to change the agenda with their own vision, it ain’t there as far as I can see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Wow! How remarkably naive. Anyone thinking brexit is "history" is living in cloud cuckoo land. It's only 4 months in, and we haven't even had the implementation of the full regulations yet. Perhaps you should ask the Northern Irish if brexit is "history", or the thousands of struggling SMEs, or the fisherman, or the people of Jersey, the hospitals and social care employers, or the farmers, etc, etc, etc. We have no idea just what the cost of brexit will be yet as it is in its very early stages. Even the government predicts a 4% decline in GDP over many years. Where you get your figures to support the claim that brexit is merely causing  "short term economic damage already being superseded by a "post Covid" boom" I would love to know.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Wow! How remarkably naive. Anyone thinking brexit is "history" is living in cloud cuckoo land. It's only 4 months in, and we haven't even had the implementation of the full regulations yet. Perhaps you should ask the Northern Irish if brexit is "history", or the thousands of struggling SMEs, or the fisherman, or the people of Jersey, the hospitals and social care employers, or the farmers, etc, etc, etc. We have no idea just what the cost of brexit will be yet as it is in its very early stages. Even the government predicts a 4% decline in GDP over many years. Where you get your figures to support the claim that brexit is merely causing  "short term economic damage already being superseded by a "post Covid" boom" I would love to know.

Look on the bright side, you can always come back next year and explain to us why nobody has a job, there's no Cod in the chip shop  and how we all died of starvation.😉

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Look on the bright side, you can always come back next year and explain to us why nobody has a job, there's no Cod in the chip shop  and how we all died of starvation.😉

Thanks for the intelligent response. Seems to be about your standard level.

44 minutes ago, horsefly said:

As a political playground its over. To use your words "remarkably naive" to think otherwise.

23 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The big question is who will pay for his wallpaper if we are all dead.

It won't be the residents of St Ives. They have been told they cannot let their holiday homes while the G7 summit is on in June.

Got to have a pass to get in and out of your own town and the train line will be shut.

And the hotel has had a multi million pound makeover and extension. All without planning permission.

Donor or crowdfunded?

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It won't be the residents of St Ives. They have been told they cannot let their holiday homes while the G7 summit is on in June.

Got to have a pass to get in and out of your own town and the train line will be shut.

And the hotel has had a multi million pound makeover and extension. All without planning permission.

Donor or crowdfunded?

Time for Trelawny to march on London ( or 20 thousand Cornish men will know the reasn why)👍