A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Not all journalists are like Kuennsberg or Oakeshott. Here's tenacious Dan.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I've often wondered how Spitting Image would have portrayed Rishi Sunak...

Boris Johnson - A Fagan look alike maybe

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

A bit like their David Steel one I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Rob Brydon's 'Small man in a box' would be the perfect voice.

• Haha 4

Today is 'Blue Monday', supposedly the most depressing day of the year.

To help you all through this difficult day I've found a good news story.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Today is 'Blue Monday', supposedly the most depressing day of the year.

To help you all through this difficult day I've found a good news story.

Screenshot_20240115_085001_X.thumb.jpg.bb8dd02898a74c188216f41cbbb82f3c.jpg

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Don't want to undermine the general optimism but remember...

image.png.e0101a155600ab4168c9cf9c644735ef.png

https://kellnerpolitics.com/2024/01/03/how-to-make-sense-of-election-year/

There could obviously be lots of things that change over the next few months but it actually feels like 1997.  The extraordinary thing is the continued ability of the Tories to argue between each other and shoot themselves in the foot. 

The really interesting thing is the pretty solid 10% who intend to vote for Reform. If the gap does close they could be the deciding factor in many seats. 

There is also a Budget giveaway coming up but Sunak mainly seems to be pinning his hopes on an upturn in the economy. That could be affected by world affairs completely outside his control. 

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There could obviously be lots of things that change over the next few months but it actually feels like 1997.  The extraordinary thing is the continued ability of the Tories to argue between each other and shoot themselves in the foot. 

The really interesting thing is the pretty solid 10% who intend to vote for Reform. If the gap does close they could be the deciding factor in many seats. 

There is also a Budget giveaway coming up but Sunak mainly seems to be pinning his hopes on an upturn in the economy. That could be affected by world affairs completely outside his control. 

I agree, but the figures show that even in 1997 there was 9% shift to the Tories!.

Just something to worry about. 

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

I agree, but the figures show that even in 1997 there was 9% shift to the Tories!.

I think they'll give away a fortune in the Budget. I suspect they know they're going to lose but are worried about the long term future of their party. They are extremely dependent on the Baby Boom generation and those people are going to die in huge numbers over the next 15 years. If they lose the coming election by a very large majority they may as well close the shop. 

The only thing I'm certain of is that it's going to be the dirtiest election ever. They will go after Starmer with everything they've got but they'll leave the really disgusting stuff to Reform & Co to deal with. 

50 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not convinced anything the Tories now do will change this gap in any meaningful way. Nothing has so far. The traditional pro-business one-nation Tory party no longer exists (Johnson and Brexit killed it - F ** k business). Starmer has skillfully made sure he covers that centre-ground too (or doesn't scare anybody). Time for a real change!

The right wing unthinking rump will vote Reform this time (10%+) as well.

Hence overall I think it might actually get worse for the Tories barring extraordinary events say in the middle east or Ukraine. I suppose a Trump re-election might muddy a lot of water too.

43 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think they'll give away a fortune in the Budget. I suspect they know they're going to lose but are worried about the long term future of their party. They are extremely dependent on the Baby Boom generation and those people are going to die in huge numbers over the next 15 years. If they lose the coming election by a very large majority they may as well close the shop. 

The only thing I'm certain of is that it's going to be the dirtiest election ever. They will go after Starmer with everything they've got but they'll leave the really disgusting stuff to Reform & Co to deal with. 

Just enjoy some of these b*stards getting kicked out. It's about the best we can hope for...one night of enjoyment ahead at least. Make up your own Tory Bingo card and cross them off? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Just enjoy some of these b*stards getting kicked out. It's about the best we can hope for...one night of enjoyment ahead at least. Make up your own Tory Bingo card and cross them off? 

I won't be happy unless Jacob bites the dust. I hate fireworks with a passion but I'm tempted to buy a huge one to celebrate his demise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is what David Frost wrote in The Sunday Telegraph. Obviously he's ignored the problems that he caused but even so, I can't help thinking they're going to need a bit more than Shakespeare. 

Screenshot_20240115_112043_X.thumb.jpg.83bf7e1a3e14cd94d0a97e1d23cc7f5d.jpgScreenshot_20240115_112056_X.thumb.jpg.295a258e7d9d16b70385a433d29e33bb.jpg

24 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Here is what David Frost wrote in The Sunday Telegraph. Obviously he's ignored the problems that he caused but even so, I can't help thinking they're going to need a bit more than Shakespeare. 

Screenshot_20240115_112043_X.thumb.jpg.83bf7e1a3e14cd94d0a97e1d23cc7f5d.jpgScreenshot_20240115_112056_X.thumb.jpg.295a258e7d9d16b70385a433d29e33bb.jpg

I think this is what they are reduced too.

In reality they are mistakenly fighting 'Reform' - their priorities at complete odds with what most people are currently worried about (NHS, Economy, cost of living) etc.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Badger said:

That's more likely to be those looking at Reform deciding "nah, Tories are 'best-worst' for us as we really don't want Labour in". I'd be surprised if the centrist set, where I tend to be placed on the whole, is remotely thinking that the Tories are worth the vote.

Think much of that will depend on how splintered the vote was in the previous GE. Over 90% voted for the main two here in Bolton West and at that point you'd have to think a third party that gets a decent chunk of votes all of a sudden hurts the big party that it is ideologically closer to.

The gap won't be as wide on election day, it never is. Left-leaning people are far more vocal/proud about their politics than right-leaning, so I don't trust polls, social media or newspapers. Although Labour will probably win, I don't think it will be 1997-esque.

Love the Tory infighting over the Rwanda deal.

The very last thing they really need is for it to be settled and people on the planes before the next election - that would only prove it was ineffective and remove a 'wedge' issue.

They want the argument in the HoP or courts to be an ongoing dog-whistle election issue for their 'base'. Sod what might really work.

On 15/01/2024 at 11:28, dylanisabaddog said:

Astonishing, takes being 'out of touch' to a whole new level 😂😂

She flew to Taiwan to tell the world China is evil but when one of her constituents wants to sell mine detecting equipment to China she lobbies the Business Secretary.

As Groucho Marks used to say "These are my principles and if you don't like them then I have others".

On 15/01/2024 at 09:44, dylanisabaddog said:

What disgusting stuff have they got on Starmer?

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Very little but it won't stop them. The lies about Starmer and Savile started with extreme right wing groups but were repeated by Johnson in parliament. Johnson knew it wasn't true but he said it anyway. 

8 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Not much at all I suspect is the answer.

Starmer has been on the front benches long enough that any gotcha will already be out there if it existed.

I dont think this will be a negative campaign from the conservatives.  Rather I see that it will be policy driven and designed to make starmer reveal what he would do in the hope that he offers nothing substantial in key areas and still opens himself up to criticism on his exposed left flank.

The PO /  Saville cards will probably only be played if starmer continues to pursue the 'quietly competent' narrative and makes out that he is a details man with a forensic, fine tooth comb approach to all he does.  At that point these will come out with the claim that "you say that, but your forensic approach didn't capture this..."  Starmer though is smart enough to see the pit he might fall in and isn't up against ' lazy' Johnson anymore so won't adopt the strategy.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

Not much at all I suspect is the answer.

Starmer has been on the front benches long enough that any gotcha will already be out there if it existed.

I dont think this will be a negative campaign from the conservatives.  Rather I see that it will be policy driven and designed to make starmer reveal what he would do in the hope that he offers nothing substantial in key areas and still opens himself up to criticism on his exposed left flank.

👆👆

🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😭😭😭

The PO /  Saville cards will probably only be played if starmer continues to pursue the 'quietly competent' narrative and makes out that he is a details man with a forensic, fine tooth comb approach to all he does.  At that point these will come out with the claim that "you say that, but your forensic approach didn't capture this..."  Starmer though is smart enough to see the pit he might fall in and isn't up against ' lazy' Johnson anymore so won't adopt the strategy.

This will be a dirty campaign. Expect the Rwanda BS to be kept in the headlines as red meat. I can see some more "war on woke" as a side issue, and no doubt there will be some look at Starmer's legal past segueing into a general attack on the Civil Service.

For me, it's not difficult, the fact that this incarnation of the Tories has been in since 2010 and not really achieved much of note is more than enough for me to say "get out" and I will vote to that effect.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

This will be a dirty campaign. Expect the Rwanda BS to be kept in the headlines as red meat. I can see some more "war on woke" as a side issue, and no doubt there will be some look at Starmer's legal past segueing into a general attack on the Civil Service.

For me, it's not difficult, the fact that this incarnation of the Tories has been in since 2010 and not really achieved much of note is more than enough for me to say "get out" and I will vote to that effect.

They are in many way a version of mini-Trump and on the same slide into the gutter as the GOP. All they have is hate and divisiveness - anybody and anything else to blame but themselves.