A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

2 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

Congratulated by the Russians as well.

And former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev tweeted "bye, bye @trussliz, congrats to lettuce",

Rees-Mogg working to forge support for Boris Johnson

b66a51d3-6f1b-48cd-b517-7adce4bbca7a.jpg

Ione Wells

Political correspondent

Jacob Rees-Mogg has been encouraging Tory MPs to back Boris Johnson to be the next Conservative leader, sources have told the BBC.

I'm told the business secretary is running a behind-the-scenes campaign to try and rally MPs to back the former leader.

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

There is that. But it is just like Trump rumours of a return.

MPs loving a personality in the hope of future electoral success is not good enough and he is not what is required for what the country needs.  (Edit: Actually he never was).

Damaged goods I believe. He should stick to his 'funny' stories and bumbling on TV programmes and on the speaker circuit. He will make more money and gain more attention - two of his main aims in life. 

Putting the question of honour aside, the leaks against Johnson absolutely were an internal stitch up with a view to getting a leadership change. 

Also, in politics, the act of resigning is a reset. If he wins a leadership contest and goes straight to the public then it's legit, because it's then the judgement of the public as to whether he's fit or not knowing his past. 

On the other hand, for the Conservatives, they may actually be better off crashing, burning, , and gifting it to Labour at the next election than run the risk of a hung parliament where electoral reform has a good chance of getting on the agenda. 

I've woke up thinking nah they can't be putting him back it's insane to seeing it actually seems to be a possibility and that those tory members would be a cert to put him in. Can we ban memberships from having final decisions please else we might well just give power to the Greens.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Well b back said:

Rees-Mogg working to forge support for Boris Johnson

b66a51d3-6f1b-48cd-b517-7adce4bbca7a.jpg

Ione Wells

Political correspondent

Jacob Rees-Mogg has been encouraging Tory MPs to back Boris Johnson to be the next Conservative leader, sources have told the BBC.

I'm told the business secretary is running a behind-the-scenes campaign to try and rally MPs to back the former leader.

Some MP's will after the shambles in the lobby the other night decide that having JRM on your side is a very bad idea. 

It's quite possible that Johnson will act in the same way he did when Cameron resigned and realise that this is a fight he can't win, there is also the 30ish point gap in the polls that has to be hauled back.

Johnson doesn't do hard work, it's very likely he will run away from this one like he did when Cameron resigned.

36 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I've woke up thinking nah they can't be putting him back it's insane to seeing it actually seems to be a possibility and that those tory members would be a cert to put him in. Can we ban memberships from having final decisions please else we might well just give power to the Greens.

The members who want Boris back are the same ones who voted for Truss.  They're diehard Brexiteers who still refuse to accept that his version of post-Brexit Britain was a pack of lies. 

If the party machine does its job, it won't be allowed to happen.  Enough MPs will get behind Sunak or Mordaunt to avoid the need for an election.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

Just answered my morning 'texts' from my Japanese friends. They watch unbelieving at the the current UK ineptness - and Johnson back? 

Laughing stock.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

The members who want Boris back are the same ones who voted for Truss.  They're diehard Brexiteers who still refuse to accept that his version of post-Brexit Britain was a pack of lies. 

If the party machine does its job, it won't be allowed to happen.  Enough MPs will get behind Sunak or Mordaunt to avoid the need for an election.

Agreed and I hope you're right but I fear he will stumble over the 100 and then he's back.

Of course its a suicidal home run for the Tories (I think also that party will split in that event - many MPs resigning or voting with Labour) but that wont help anybody else trying to represent the UK in the wider world. It seems many in the Tory party learn nothing or have lost all their short term memory of events.

• Like 2

I think Mourdant will be the least worst candidate to take them into the next election. Rishi is not a conservative at all. Boris is too damaged to come back, that truly would divide the Tory party with a few MPs probably resigning their whip. Commentators were even saying last night that the  1922C set the "100 nomination threshold" specifically too high to try and keep Boris away.

Also interesting that Nigel Farage has chirped up and released a video stating he may return, but "can't do it on his own". Who is he trying to get to defect from the Tories, as surely it won't just be him and his cronies from GB News and/or the Brexit Party?

Like him or loathe him, Farage effectively let Boris in in 2019 when he withdrew candidates, and he could be effectively the kingmaker again as he has significant clout to split all the votes in the FPTP system.  Lib Dems will benefit massively if he fields 600+ candidates, as this time they haven't got Swinson alienating most of their traditional centrist voters.

Edited by TheRock

7 minutes ago, TheRock said:

I think Mourdant will be the least worst candidate to take them into the next election. Rishi is not a conservative at all. Boris is too damaged to come back, that truly would divide the Tory party with a few MPs probably resigning their whip. Commentators were even saying last night that the  1922C set the "100 nomination threshold" specifically too high to try and keep Boris away.

Also interesting that Nigel Farage has chirped up and released a video stating he may return, but "can't do it on his own". Who is he trying to get to defect from the Tories, as surely it won't just be him and his cronies from GB News and/or the Brexit Party?

Like him or loathe him, Farage effectively let Boris in in 2019 when he withdrew candidates, and he could be effectively the kingmaker again as he has significant clout to split all the votes in the FPTP system.  Lib Dems will benefit massively if he fields 600+ candidates, as this time they haven't got Swinson alienating most of their traditional centrist voters.

Farage is simply a busted flush. Brexit has happened and few think its been any sort of success now - yes there remain a few noisy vociferous die-hards but really of no consequence. Most people realize they were at best mislead and trying to make the best of a bad deal.

If Johnson came back 'in' I think a rapid GE would actually follow as many Tories would actively bring down his government in disgust. Johnson back is death sentence for today's Tory party. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Farage is simply a busted flush. Brexit has happened and few think its been any sort of success now - yes there remain a few noisy vociferous die-hards but really of no consequence. Most people realize they were at best mislead and trying to make the best of a bad deal.

If Johnson came back 'in' I think a rapid GE would actually follow as many Tories would actively bring down his government in disgust. Johnson back is death sentence for today's Tory party. 

Agree with all of that. I think they're knackered come the next election no matter what, whether its in 2 years or just a matter of weeks. Mourdant is the moderate candidate though and would see the least seats lost IMO.

Edited by TheRock
  • Like 1

Nobody wants to have a say? demand their 5 seconds of power and make their little cross behind a line of pre chewed candidates that lied at your doorstep and have nothing more to give?

you are welcome, just accept the loons who now fight among themselves. Even if I had a say in a GE, I would not use it, for is fake and full of cheats and self servers who think they are the only option there is.

Johnson hasn't been around for the last six weeks, he has been on separate holidays. So his quote about Cincinnatus going back to the plough bears little resemblance to him.

Are we really going to accept him if he becomes the Leader again? Surely not.

How can the 1922 Committee allow it to happen?

25 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Sterling has fallen to $1.11 this morning.

FTSE whizzing down again, not sure about gilts, I can only assume this is around Johnson coming back.

I heard one of the major poll companies talking this morning and they were saying that what we are being told by Johnson supporters is a bit of a myth in that when he went 70% were against him and the latest polls yesterday showed that almost the same % didn’t want him back and out of the 5 RS SKS PM BW BJ he was not only last ( surprise surprise ) in the who would you trust, but considerably last.

It was also said it would be highly likely that if he became PM plenty of his own MP’s would bring him down forcing a GE.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Johnson hasn't been around for the last six weeks, he has been on separate holidays. So his quote about Cincinnatus going back to the plough bears little resemblance to him.

Are we really going to accept him if he becomes the Leader again? Surely not.

How can the 1922 Committee allow it to happen?

The problem is a lot of the public really like him. That lovable rogue persona actually works and for some he can do no wrong. Piles of cash also coming in for him, was 6/1 at one point yesterday and now 11/8. 

28 minutes ago, Well b back said:

FTSE whizzing down again, not sure about gilts, I can only assume this is around Johnson coming back.

I heard one of the major poll companies talking this morning and they were saying that what we are being told by Johnson supporters is a bit of a myth in that when he went 70% were against him and the latest polls yesterday showed that almost the same % didn’t want him back and out of the 5 RS SKS PM BW BJ he was not only last ( surprise surprise ) in the who would you trust, but considerably last.

It was also said it would be highly likely that if he became PM plenty of his own MP’s would bring him down forcing a GE.

That's my 'rational' thought WBB.

Otherwise it is literally a death 'spiral' for the Tories - spiralling back yet further down to where they were 6 weeks or so ago.

Rationally nobody would do this - but with the current Tory membership ?

Sunak is the obvious candidate - but again given the 'nature' of the Tory membership 'beast' I suspect he'll find it difficult if it is a vote-off as per last time even against a more typical non-entity.

Penny Mordor is not a moderate candidate. She is as a member of the ERG, which makes her a Brexit Loon. I have not seen any indication that she is actually human - the only thing I have seen her express is aggression, when she stood in for Mary-Elizabeth at PMQs, and it was pretty unedifying.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Penny Mordor is not a moderate candidate. She is as a member of the ERG, which makes her a Brexit Loon. I have not seen any indication that she is actually human - the only thing I have seen her express is aggression, when she stood in for Mary-Elizabeth at PMQs, and it was pretty unedifying.

Yes - I'm uncertain of her - Sunak as PM but she's the supposed dream ticket to appease the right in some lesser role.

Ideally we need a Sunak a coronation.

• Like 1

So there is one thing I am not getting, the polls apparently show 70% against Boris Johnson, the BBC can only find allegedly voters that are demanding Johnson returns.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Her face has soft features, but very much a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Just now, Well b back said:

So there is one thing I am not getting, the polls apparently show 70% against Boris Johnson, the BBC can only find allegedly voters that are demanding Johnson returns.

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would want to see him back.

• Like 1

For MPs to be touting Johnson shows that they haven't learned a single thing from the Truss debacle.

I gather btw that after 45 days destroying the economy Liz Truss is entitled to draw an annual PM's allowance for life, currently £115,000.

Our entire political system is shot to pieces.  Worse is to come.

Edited by benchwarmer

6 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would want to see him back.

The Trumpism around it is being taken in by many. Liz Truss was so bad therefore the Boris supporters are using that to say what a brilliant PM Boris was. Those MP’s supporting him should really look at the polls around Johnson and the reality of lots of Tory MPs deserting the party.