A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

There's a guy worth looking at called Nigel Harris @RAIL on twitter. He explained it really well on radio this morning but he is also livid at what has happened. 

2 hours ago, Herman said:

There's a guy worth looking at called Nigel Harris @RAIL on twitter. He explained it really well on radio this morning but he is also livid at what has happened. 

Thanks for the supportive reply Herman. I will look up Nigel Harris.

There had been rumblings in many regional outlets about the north missing out again  but I still hoped that there would be something unexpected. I think you'll see many northern front pages about this issue. It will roll on for months too. A lot of political capital may be up in flames over this issue.

The trans-pennine trains are often packed and late (the former provider at least was axed). If you drive on the M62 it is like 'appointment with fear'....so busy, many accidents, bad weather etc and to have a really good train service makes such a lot of sense.

Investing would also help the northern economy (many, many reports and research has gone into this...Leeds City Region wide too).

No longer do we have the EU ERDF and ESF programmes either. For decades this is what the northern authorities had to rely on. And we know what's happened there. As a metaphor phrase...this country is going backwards! Stuck with infrastructure little changed since the 1970s.

Edit: some reaction here:

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Remember when the neighbours complained about the noise coming from Carries flat when they had a row about spilling wine on the sofa?

If I was Rishi I'd be getting myself some designer ear plugs.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/james-ball-boris-johnson-tory-sleaze/

the prime minister was asked how family life with his new wife and mother to his child Carrie Symonds was going. His reported answer, that he was experiencing “buyer’s remorse” over the union, astonished some of those present.

Carrie Antoinette of all people should have known what she was getting with Boris. He lets everybody down, sooner or later. If she thought she could change him she is stupider than I had imagined.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Carrie Antoinette of all people should have known what she was getting with Boris. He lets everybody down, sooner or later. If she thought she could change him she is stupider than I had imagined.

She must have been to idle to wnak if she let him poke her. I bet he faked his ****.

@sonycAnd you actually believed Johnson? A man who lied to farmers, fishermen and unionists? A man who has blatantly lied throughout his career? Lied about the track&trace. Who will, and does, say anything to get votes, or their support.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

@sonycAnd you actually believed Johnson? A man who lied to farmers, fishermen and unionists? A man who has blatantly lied throughout his career? Lied about the track&trace. Who will, and does, say anything to get votes, or their support.

I don't think I have ever believed in his promises about levelling up. That term is pure spin, pure marketing. I wanted to believe though - as did most northern mayors and those working in regional economic strategy - that his shallow 'boosterism' talk this time might still translate to actual 'on the ground' investment in the north. 

I 'believe', because this is what you've asked me, that he is completely the wrong person to be in charge of running an administration at completely the wrong time. A charlatan really (just seen the clip of him promising northern rail investment in Newsnight about a year ago).

I know your question was not a challenge but also a statement as a sad indictment of what you know him to be. 

Article here on the north (referencing my district Bradford quite a bit).

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/18/tory-spin-on-hs2-derailment-wont-wash-in-underinvested-north?

I realise by the way, barely one person on this whole forum should care about Bradford. So, with some regret I will try and not mention it again! It is a point about the UK government I was trying to make but on reflection, most folk here are mainly interested in Norfolk of course. In other words "Who cares about the north?"  In that spirit I've deleted my ramblings and instead will offer my apologies to anyone who is offended by my point about the volte face change today and its effect on northerners.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Nary a mention on Johnson's train wreck on any of the right wing press front pages. A bit of EU/migrant bashing, a nice picture of Kate but nothing about what matters. Same as it ever was.

8 hours ago, sonyc said:

I realise by the way, barely one person on this whole forum should care about Bradford. So, with some regret I will try and not mention it again! It is a point about the UK government I was trying to make but on reflection, most folk here are mainly interested in Norfolk of course. In other words "Who cares about the north?"  In that spirit I've deleted my ramblings and instead will offer my apologies to anyone who is offended by my point about the volte face change today and its effect on northerners.

No apologies necessary at all  sonyc!  I'm sure I speak for many when I say that our concerns spread way beyond Norfolk (hence threads on the USA etc), and we value first hand accounts from people (City fans) speaking from other parts of the country. We're in this together, and feel the effects of this government's mismanagement together. So keep posting your valuable insights from the perspective of where you live. 

• Like 1

Just now, Herman said:

Same as it ever was.

Now that gives me a splendid idea for "What y'all listening to?"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

No apologies necessary at all  sonyc!  I'm sure I speak for many when I say that our concerns spread way beyond Norfolk (hence threads on the USA etc), and we value first hand accounts from people (City fans) speaking from other parts of the country. We're in this together, and feel the effects of this government's mismanagement together. So keep posting your valuable insights from the perspective of where you live. 

This @sonyc As a southern shandy drinker I want to hear of the experiences of people living in different parts of England (and elsewhere for that matter.)Keep it up.👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Now that gives me a splendid idea for "What y'all listening to?"

One of my favourite songs from my favourite band from their best album.😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Absolutely! It's a shame that Johnson seems to have taken the album title in the imperative mood rather than the ironic.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The title of that song is the number of times that Johnson has been truthful.

4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The title of that song is the number of times that Johnson has been truthful.

Still waiting for that to happen!

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

Dacre has pulled out of running Ofcom.👍

Seems even Boris has realised that fixing Dacre's appointment might be one scandal too many at the moment. I'm sure he comforted him with a promise to sort out another corrupt deal in the future when the outrage  dies down a bit.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Seems even Boris has realised that fixing Dacre's appointment might be one scandal too many at the moment. I'm sure he comforted him with a promise to sort out another corrupt deal in the future when the outrage  dies down a bit.

Yep, no question that this is good news but, as you say, probably more bad news delayed rather than actual good news.

Still, hopefully whatever sinecure Johnson eventually awards him won't be quite as damaging for our democracy as the Head of Ofcom would have been.

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

Sorry to see Marr going but will Nadine regret her attack ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59348808

Really looking forward to him letting loose on on LBC. I see snowflake Dorries is bleating that social media is dominated by "abusive" lefties. Yes that's the same woman who posted calling James O'Brien a "Fu*ckwit", and then sought to criticise him for going to Ampleforth College.  Yes that's the same private school she has sent her own daughters to.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Always the victims.

This. They live on a different planet. 

7 minutes ago, 1902 said:

This. They live on a different planet. 

Right from the start we've had billionaires, millionaires, Old Etonians, Lords and media moguls using the anti-establishment schtick to win support and the fact millions fell for it is a most depressing thing.

11 hours ago, Well b back said:

Sorry to see Marr going but will Nadine regret her attack ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-59348808

I really don't understand the right's view that the media is left wing biased. Personally I think its open minded and the questions asked are normally given a evasive reply by both ideologies.

That those asking the questions are then accused of left wing bias means we are heading for a US style media. We have the GB channel already that is clearly and unequivocally reflecting the owners bias.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Right from the start we've had billionaires, millionaires, Old Etonians, Lords and media moguls using the anti-establishment schtick to win support and the fact millions fell for it is a most depressing thing.

It is quite bizarre that the establishment have managed to persuade certain sections of the public that it is not they who represent the "elite" holding back the country, but the damned "educated" liberals campaigning for a more egalitarian society based upon expertise.