A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

13 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Quite astonishing given the extent of the corruption that their excuses/explanations don't even rise above the childish 'the dog ate my homework' level.

Since Parliament is quite clearly incapable of policing itself it seems to me that its time the Met was involved and investigating whether any of this wave of governmental corruption could justify criminal charges.

Edited by Creative Midfielder

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Gove has practiced on Johnson before .....

Problem is the Tories are up s h i t creek without a paddle (or a viable alternative after the purge of all leading rational ones or those with standards a few years back). However they could hope to pin everything on Johnson as a scapegoat. He made us do it, honest gov (sic or perhaps pun intended)!

It might mean a stalking horse is put up. So as to see how the land lies. Johnson is finished. Newspapers which had stories saved for a rainy day are bringing them out. A fellow Tory MP has spoken about his father. He is performing a u turn by the day.

15 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Quite astonishing given the extent of the corruption that their excuses/explanations don't even rise above the childish 'the dog ate my homework' level.

Since Parliament is quite clearly incapable of policing itself it seems to me that its time the Met was involved and investigating whether any of this wave of governmental corruption could justify criminal charges.

Massive story is this Randox one. 

FOUR Tory MPs were there to answer questions.

Click for all the jokes about them off to do their more important work...in their second jobs 😅

And let's not forget that they cannot find the minutes for a meeting for a contract worth £600m!

Truly astonishing.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

To be fair the opposition parties have played a good game here, whilst people laughed at wallpaper, and Dominic Cummings they put these little snippets in storage to roll out on a rainy day. As we seemingly approach the end game, I wonder what will finish him off, some revelation about him, something unbelievably bad about a colleague, being forced into an enquiry re COVID or the one I wish for Cummings to have saved his best till last.

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

The fat lady is in her dressing room thinking of which tune to sing.

An operatic version of Lip Up Fatty.😀

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

To be fair the opposition parties have played a good game here, whilst people laughed at wallpaper, and Dominic Cummings they put these little snippets in storage to roll out on a rainy day. As we seemingly approach the end game, I wonder what will finish him off, some revelation about him, something unbelievably bad about a colleague, being forced into an enquiry re COVID or the one I wish for Cummings to have saved his best till last.

Good call - there would be a beautfil symmetry in Cummings planting the final dagger between his shoulders.

Its a funny one though - I could never work out, even allowing for Johnson's stupidity, why having kept Cummings in place when he clearly should have sacked him, Johnson then makes an extremely well-informed enemy of Cummings by sacking him simply because the real Prime Minister didn't like him and wanted one of her mates in number 10.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear! Didn't take long for more of your ad hominem bull sh*it did it! Just about every single Tory politician has admitted they screwed up dreadfully over the Paterson issue, but you can't even manage to admit you got it wrong on a little forum like this.

Are you stil trying  to create an argument with me over over this?!  

LYB has called you out for misrepresenting what others say to score points before.  Why you persist I don t know.  Takes all sorts I guess, but let's not bore everyone else.

Everyone else is trying to move the debate on. I'll respect that and leave you to argue with the man in your mirror.

Edited by Barbe bleu

8 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

LYB has called you out for misrepresenting what others say to score points before.  Why you persist I don t know.  Takes all sorts I guess, but let's not bore everyone else.

Everyone else is trying to move the debate on. I'll respect that and leave you to argue with the man in your mirror.

Hi BB

So to get the debate back on track, do you think BJ is on his last legs, or do you think he could survive ?

That idiot Rees-Mogg unintentionally said something true the other day. Asked why Johnson hadn’t apologised over sleaze, that overgrown schoolboy said one should only apologize if one was being sincere...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Good call - there would be a beautfil symmetry in Cummings planting the final dagger between his shoulders.

Its a funny one though - I could never work out, even allowing for Johnson's stupidity, why having kept Cummings in place when he clearly should have sacked him, Johnson then makes an extremely well-informed enemy of Cummings by sacking him simply because the real Prime Minister didn't like him and wanted one of her mates in number 10.

I must say I always thought there was no way he was laying all his cards on the table in one go, I just felt he was far to clever for Johnson ( or Johnson was far to dim and would walk into a trap ).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Take a look back at the thread. There was only one person who refused to read the report and the preceedings of the standards committee, but still decided to talk utter uniformed crap about them. I was proven right in every detail, but rather than read the report you went on a huge rant about how awful it was that I had dared produce links to all the relevant government documents. Do feel free to point out where I misrepresented your views. Just more of your pathetic attempts to distract from the fact you talked total bull shi*t about the Paterson corrupt lobbying.

32 minutes ago, Well b back said:

I would like to think that he will try to hang on. Resign now and he leaves relatively unscathed. The PM who got brexit done and saw the country through covid. The longer, the worse. I expect there is more to come out. So perhaps there is not the clamour for his removal by his rivals within the cabinet.

Edited by RobJames

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi BB

So to get the debate back on track, do you think BJ is on his last legs, or do you think he could survive ?

I don’t think he was ever popular.  Even those that found him amusing could see huge flaws cutting through him. I cant know for sure obviously but I bet a lot of those who voted for him did so with a lot of regret.

In one respect that makes him very vulnerable but in another it gives him a  shield against negative campaigning, no one liked him before this line of attack isn't going to change opinions. It's 'baked in' as VW put it once.

What will do for him is when the opposition begin to articulate a positive vision with broad emotional appeal. If they can do that he'll be despatched pretty quickly as the polls will give few other options.

5 minutes ago, RobJames said:

I would like to think that he will try to hang on. Resign now and he leaves relatively unscathed. The PM who got brexit done and saw the country through covid. The longer, the worse. I expect there is more to come out. So perhaps there is not the clamour for his removal by his rivals within the cabinet.

Indeed

Someone will need a clean slate after the winter, but will need to blame him personally at the COVID enquiry hearing. In that hearing he will be held up as the person that released people from hospitals into care homes without testing.

17 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Sadly I think that is a very good point - even though we must be pretty apprehensive about which idiot will replace Johnson I don't think there is any doubt at all that it is in the country's best interests for him to go asap.

But  if I was one of the candidates to replace him I don't think I would be in a rush, I'd be hoping to hang as much of the baggage of the last two years on Johnson as possible before getting rid of him, and as you say there is going to be plenty more to come out.

Thing is, pretty much anyone within Johnson's two cabinets is tarred with the same brush so who does that leave - Jeremy Hunt??

18 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Sadly I think that is a very good point - even though we must be pretty apprehensive about which idiot will replace Johnson I don't think there is any doubt at all that it is in the country's best interests for him to go asap.

But  if I was one of the candidates to replace him I don't think I would be in a rush, I'd be hoping to hang as much of the baggage of the last two years on Johnson as possible before getting rid of him, and as you say there is going to be plenty more to come out.

Thing is, pretty much anyone within Johnson's two cabinets is tarred with the same brush so who does that leave - Jeremy Hunt??

In that dressing down in Parliament today Sunak looked like he was loving it.

Edited by Well b back

I think Hunt would probably suit as he has kept his distance. It would also allow for a cleaning out of the stables. Replace the current third raters in cabinet. The corrupt backbenchers will leave at the next election. Along with outdated fossils like Bone & Chope.

So, having been caught out trying to get one of their mates off the hook for an "egregious breach" of lobbying rules, and having been caught out for trying to fix the standards committee to get them off future offences, why have the Tories decided NOT to use the words "I apologise", but rather express their "contrition" with the words, "I made a mistake"? 

The significant difference between those two expressions tells us an awful lot about the disingenous screeching U-turn Johnson and the Tories have performed. "I apologise" necessarily implies that the speaker accepts two important, inextricably connected things: firstly, that he/she is guilty of an error of judgement, secondly, that the error of judgement is one for which he/she is morally culpable. "I made a mistake" does not necessarily imply either of those two things. One can be mistaken in one's judgement because one has been misinformed, and the mistake performed under such circumstances is not one for which we hold the individual morally culpable (e.g. think of the friend who is late for a meeting because he had been misinformed by a call centre about the bus times).

The child who breaches the lines of her colouring-in book has made a mistake; she didn't intend to go beyond the lines. What Johnson and the Tories did two weeks ago was fully intended. Johnson didn't mistakenly enforce a three-line whip to get Paterson off the hook and the rules changed, he fully intended that to happen.

So, until I hear Tory Party politicians use the words "I apologise" rather than "I made a mistake" I will take their words to mean "I regret we got caught out trying to corrupt UK political democracy", NOT, "I regret we tried to corrupt UK political democracy". This is not "mere semantics" but a distinction of the first importance for the accountability necessary for the survival of our democratic culture (https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/tim-walker-interviews-ken-clarke/).

So Johnson thinks he crashed the car ....

No - he actually crashed the big red bus, the train, his party and it's still a work in progress on crashing the country too (fisher folk done, farmers done, exporters done and on and on .....).

Oh - let's not forget Covid crashing and dithering too.

Have I left any Johnson crash out ? Just one  - him ... soon.

Edited by Yellow Fever

36 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Beautifully put:

This woman (I mean Purkiss) is as sharp as a knife in her journalism. She delves deep and gets underneath stories from what I've seen.  Some of the stuff she researches is very interesting. Worth a follow for anyone really (whatever their party affiliation) because she seems to get to some of the facts about government and what is going on. I guess she has had a lot to go at in the recent 18 months or so.

• Like 1

Remember when the neighbours complained about the noise coming from Carries flat when they had a row about spilling wine on the sofa?

If I was Rishi I'd be getting myself some designer ear plugs.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/james-ball-boris-johnson-tory-sleaze/

the prime minister was asked how family life with his new wife and mother to his child Carrie Symonds was going. His reported answer, that he was experiencing “buyer’s remorse” over the union, astonished some of those present.

Really, really disappointed with this. For anyone who lives around where we are, the trans-Pennine railway system is incredibly important. I'm not a HS2 fan at all but on another level I want to welcome big investment in transport infrastructure.

This decision is not 'levelling up' and quite a shocking given everything that this government has said. I was privileged to have been (a very small) part of discussions in the very early days of the Northern Powerhouse. The economic case for connecting the West and East coast is massive. It would transform trade and movement of goods.

After the disappointment yesterday about how social care will be funded, these are two terrible days for many in the north. What f***ers. I'm really annoyed. It is ultimately the policies and actions of a government that matter and I would have been prepared to at least accept and welcome attempt to redress inequalities through public investment even if I had to hold my nose about all the current sleaze and behaviour of this government. But it's a decision like this that completely deflates me. Any attempt to try and spin it another way is to detract from what was really needed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/18/hs2-rail-leg-to-leeds-scrapped-grant-shapps-confirms

• Thanks 1