A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Interesting article in the observer today that quotes Alistair Campbell as holding the mantra that if a scandal runs on the front pages for 10 days or more then you are in trouble. This is really not looking good for the government. It's solvable politically, but it's not going to be easy.

Edited by 1902

Those 'IT' lessons may still come back to haunt Johnson.

I see Jennifer Accuri isn't going away. Problems for Johnson here.

11 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Those 'IT' lessons may still come back to haunt Johnson.

I see Jennifer Accuri isn't going away. Problems for Johnson here.

Hmm I'm not so sure, I actually think the story is probably true, but I don't think she has that much credibility because she drip feeds information and hasn't been entirely frank herself. The only change is if she has something damning written by Johnson himself.

I mean it may well contribute to the whole perception of the government as corrupt, but I doubt he will be personally that tainted by this one. 

4 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Hmm I'm not so sure, I actually think the story is probably true, but I don't think she has that much credibility because she drip feeds information and hasn't been entirely frank herself. The only change is if she has something damning written by Johnson himself.

I mean it may well contribute to the whole perception of the government as corrupt, but I doubt he will be personally that tainted by this one. 

Well you might be right. Let's see.

The issue might well be reopened by the IOPC. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/13/how-johnson-pledged-help-for-my-business-to-win-my-love?

24 minutes ago, sonyc said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/13/how-johnson-pledged-help-for-my-business-to-win-my-love?

Yeah and if it is, it's a genuine problem for him. Not because of what it will amount to so much, just because the narrative will stretch on for longer and the perception may become more engrained. 

The more I think, the more I feel this is a dangerous time for the government, you can't be seen to be living the life of riley during a period where inflation is high and looks to be eating into real earnings. 

One of the great injustices of all democracies is that a little pain for a lot of people counts more than a lot of pain for a few. Hence why inflation is more politically dangerous than a recession in some ways.

Edited by 1902

21 minutes ago, sonyc said:

While posters on here laughed at this and wallpaper I suspect a lot of those in the know knew there would be a tidal wave of bad things and they were the wrong things to attack. Now wallpaper, although minor in the scheme of things, becomes part of a huge scenario of dishonesty and sleaze.

As momentum increases I suspect on the one hand this thread would disappear, but on the other hand he will be thrown under a bus and much more serious things will come out.

23 minutes ago, 1902 said:

One of the great injustices of all democracies is that a little pain for a lot of people counts more than a lot of pain for a few. Hence why inflation is more politically dangerous than a recession in some ways.

A good observation. Often, the population appears to close its ears and cover it's eyes to the kind of behaviour we have witnessed these last 12 months.... but the multiplier effects that play out in the economy will be significant in terms of changing attitudes.

For instance, finding out that the fishing business you've spent 30 years building but is now being ruined by Brexit red tape, and at such a speed of decline, virtually overnight - not an exaggeration - has a much deeper impact locally where you live  (local businesses, restaurants, spending power). People don't (or won't) forget when it comes to the elections. The total sleazy way Brexit was 'done' will equate to how some people will have felt 'done'.

William Keegan has a piece in today's Guardian if you've seen it, equating Brexit and sleaze (yes you'll have guessed correctly that those who have been highlighted for the worst acts were Brexiters).

We may look back on this pandemic era not just because of Covid and the excess mortality, or the shocking situation of our social care (one could go on) but at the worst government this country has had in over 100 years. 

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

No one party will ever claim the monopoly on sleaze, no party is squeaky clean and pointing fingers is potentially perilous occupation. Some will appreciate the proportionally but media will not provide a balance. 

Just now, Herman said:

I can tell you exactly where his own private airfield is.😀

Oooh…..go on then 😁

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

No one party will ever claim the monopoly on sleaze, no party is squeaky clean and pointing fingers is potentially perilous occupation. Some will appreciate the proportionally but media will not provide a balance. 

The tories are making a good crack at it.

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Oooh…..go on then 😁

Google Maps- Rookery Kebab Van, A1000-Satellite image and you will see a large green strip in a farmers field.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

The tories are making a good crack at it.

They are steeped in it Herman. Presumably you saw Marr this morning, in the interest of impartiality the extracurricular exploits of SkS were raised,  it’s not an easy win.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Google Maps- Rookery Kebab Van, A1000-Satellite image and you will see a large green strip in a farmers field.

The old flying Kebab van caper

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Van wink said:

They are steeped in it Herman. Presumably you saw Marr this morning, in the interest of impartiality the extracurricular exploits of SkS were raised,  it’s not an easy win.

Starmer advising Gibraltar about brexit is quite different from an MP helping the gambling industry while being paid by a gambling company for instance.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Starmer advising Gibraltar about brexit is quite different from an MP helping the gambling industry while being paid by a gambling company for instance.

I don't disagree but if the manifesto pledge was to end MP's having second jobs then it aint a good look.

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

Not when there is a need for whataboutery.

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I don't disagree but if the manifesto pledge was to end MP's having second jobs then it aint a good look.

'Its current policy is that MPs should not carry out political consultancy.' Nothing about 2nd jobs.

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Not when there is a need for whataboutery.

I think it's a desperate attempt to anoint all MPs as corrupt when it clearly isn't so. It's also quite dangerous.

Just now, Herman said:

I think it's a desperate attempt to anoint all MPs as corrupt when it clearly isn't so. It's also quite dangerous.

It does rather point to where someone is coming from.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RobJames said:

It does rather point to where someone is coming from.

or where they have been

22 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Labour's manifesto pledge, rightly or wrongly, was to make Brexit work, so Starmer advising Gibraltar on how to cope with the consequences of Brexit is right in line with that.🤓

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Labour's manifesto pledge, rightly or wrongly, was to make Brexit work, so Starmer advising Gibraltar on how to cope with the consequences of Brexit is right in line with that.🤓

That's an argument, the press seem to think there was something in the manifesto about ending MP' s having paid remuneration outside of their salary as an MP, I haven't looked it up, is that correct or did the BBC make it up?

Edited by Van wink

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Surely a losing party's manifesto is null and void anyway??

Absolutely, they don't form the government so it probably wont be mentioned again.

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

That's an argument, the press seem to think there was something in the manifesto about ending MP' s having paid remuneration outside of their salary as an MP, I haven't looked it up, is that correct or did the BBC make it up?

I have no idea. Why would I give a damn about the manifesto of one party in a country where I do not live and have no plans to live, at least until it turns itself into the kind of corrupt tax haven🏖️ a member of the UK's governing party is taking time away from his constituents to defend?🤓