Bill

Would defeat today be so bad ?

yes, for the supporters and it won't help the players

but what is there to be gained otherwise ?

Built some momentum and team spirit through pre season that was smashed to bits at the end of last season. Would like to see a Hugill goal most of all personally. 

Cup runs should not be underestimated. Each win means more games for those less involved in the league matches so important for match fitness, confidence and good for teamwork with new players getting to know how each other play in competitive situations. So yes, a win is very important today.

Edited by lake district canary

Yes, we need to break our losing run in competitive fixtures so it doesn't start to hang over players heads and as we'll have quality in backup positions this year we need to the fixtures to give these players experience and gametime. 

it wouldn't be the end of the world of course, but I'm really hoping for a win and good performance today. 

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yes, we need to break our losing run in competitive fixtures so it doesn't start to hang over players heads and as we'll have quality in backup positions this year we need to the fixtures to give these players experience and gametime. 

it wouldn't be the end of the world of course, but I'm really hoping for a win and good performance today. 

a repeat of the MK 6-0 thrashing or a tense almost bottling it darmstadt style 3-2 win?

For a proper competitive cup game, this is as glorified a friendly for us as you’ll ever see, but we should and would never “want” to lose a game.  Getting match practice and fitness levels up for some of the squad players is never a bad thing, if we do progress it will presumably continue to be used in the same vein. 

If players haven't confidence then what are they doing here ?

Of course they should be bursting a gut to win, as in every game

However with the way the fixtures are piling up into 'intense bursts' of games, and no income to be derived I cannot see anything but these games having a detrimental effect

................. yes I want us to win, I always want us to win - it’s just this game won't 'hurt' so much if we don't win, given the above

I can see both sides.

On the one hand, a cup run (which would mean three more midweek games in three weeks on top of league fixtures) would be a great opportunity to get younger/fringe players some competitive match time, building confidence and consolidating the system and style of play.

The flipside, of course, is the accumulated fatigue in an already compressed fixture schedule. Not only does it increase the possibility of injuries in the short term, but it also increases the 'load' that the squad has to undertake on top of a 46-game league season, where promotion has to be our sole and unswerving focus.

On balance, I'd say we have more than enough 'thick and fast' league fixtures coming up to keep our squad busy, especially as we're likely to see at least a couple of sales (Jamal, and maybe one or two others) and several going out on loan.

If we are after a return to the EPL, then a behind closed doors fixture with a team that will never be seen again on a first team sheet is meaningless for us.

But a win is a win and will give some reserves a chance of a first team run out.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If we are after a return to the EPL, then a behind closed doors fixture with a team that will never be seen again on a first team sheet is meaningless for us.

But a win is a win and will give some reserves a chance of a first team run out.

So we are never playing klose, zimmerman, tetty, dowell, martin, Hugill ever again? Do tell me more

bFpA5xhJ.png

Absolutely a win as it should always be. Nothing like matches to sharpen up fitness, improve focus & concentration and get minutes into legs. Younger & fringe players get a chance to show where they are and hopefully keep the first choice lads on their toes. This is a tough assignment given the circumstances, but a good performance & hopefully a win would breed confidence, get the lads smiling, help to shake off the losing streak and ensure another opportunity to impress. Would be great to get a bit of a run going here. 

Aside: Poor aul Mario still can't get a start! A very good chance he'll be off to Germany over the next few weeks methinks. Also I see 7 on the bench. I assume we're back to 3 substitutions & no water breaks. Would be interesting to see Hondermarck get a run. 

55 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

So we are never playing klose, zimmerman, tetty, dowell, martin, Hugill ever again? Do tell me more

bFpA5xhJ.png

All together, as a group, as a team that kicks off at 3pm today, that XI will not be starting a game for us ever again.

Looking at that team there again, lots of experience down the middle & virtually none out wide on either side. I wonder where Luton will aim to cause problems?