Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

The Brexit Thread (reprise)

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

I doubt many on here will be able to read this without shedding a tear, or two

"Farmers have warned of “catastrophic” damage to British agriculture if Boris Johnson fails to secure a trade deal with Europe, after environment secretary George Eustice suggested that tariffs on foodstuffs would not be “manageable”.

National Farmers Union president Minette Batters said that no-deal Brexit would see tariffs as high as 85 per cent imposed on British beef and 62 per cent on lamb, 51 per cent on malt and barley. It would be very savage.

Its pretty ironic given that many farmers undoubtedly voted for Brexit but TBH they are totally scr*w*d whatever unfolds over the next few days,

But then we are all scr*w*d to a greater or lesser extent so I don't think that the tw@ts that voted for this sh*tshow can expect any sympathy from those of us who voted against it - in fact its quite bizarre really to listen to all the moaning and groaning from the Brexiteers who don't seem to be enjoying their 'victory' at all.......🤣

The concern is how did so many delude themselves that they had common purpose with those running Brexit

Rees-Mogg and Redwood advised their investors to get their money out of the UK before brexit hit, with the former also making some quite odious comments about those who died in the Grenfell fire

Johnson who wrote of his contempt for the working class "“Most of these single mothers * have had the common sense to detect that the modern British male is useless. If he is blue collar, he is likely to be drunk, criminal, aimless, feckless and hopeless, and perhaps claiming to suffer from low self-esteem brought on by unemployment." he means you, brexiteers

Farage who welcomed his departure from UKIP by saying how glad he was he would no longer be "having to deal with low-graIde people every day” and "I don’t have to spend my life dealing with people I would never have a drink with, who I would never employ" yep, that his view on you brexiteers

Ian Ducan-Smith who brought in the universal credit scheme which has dragged the country back to the days if the workhouse.... for so many brexit voters

And other staunch brexiteers have shown their contempt for the thickos left behind to face the music

Nigel Lawson who applied for French residency, Brian Monteith Tory brexiteer MAP (as was) lives in the South of France. Andy Wigmore (Aaron banks side kick) moved to Belize to avoid the problems of Brexit, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the UK’s richest person and high-profile Brexiter, has quit Britain for tax-free Monaco.

It won't be them dependent on food being air lifted into Britain, or reliant upon food banks. Pawning the goods at Cash Converters or flogging what they can on Ebay. History has shown where blind devotion to liars ends up

Berlin 1945

I wonder how many of them believed in the promised sunny uplands five years previous ?

18 hours ago, Bill said:

The concern is how did so many delude themselves that they had common purpose with those running Brexit

Rees-Mogg and Redwood advised their investors to get their money out of the UK before brexit hit, with the former also making some quite odious comments about those who died in the Grenfell fire

Johnson who wrote of his contempt for the working class "“Most of these single mothers * have had the common sense to detect that the modern British male is useless. If he is blue collar, he is likely to be drunk, criminal, aimless, feckless and hopeless, and perhaps claiming to suffer from low self-esteem brought on by unemployment." he means you, brexiteers

Farage who welcomed his departure from UKIP by saying how glad he was he would no longer be "having to deal with low-graIde people every day” and "I don’t have to spend my life dealing with people I would never have a drink with, who I would never employ" yep, that his view on you brexiteers

Ian Ducan-Smith who brought in the universal credit scheme which has dragged the country back to the days if the workhouse.... for so many brexit voters

And other staunch brexiteers have shown their contempt for the thickos left behind to face the music

Nigel Lawson who applied for French residency, Brian Monteith Tory brexiteer MAP (as was) lives in the South of France. Andy Wigmore (Aaron banks side kick) moved to Belize to avoid the problems of Brexit, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the UK’s richest person and high-profile Brexiter, has quit Britain for tax-free Monaco.

Makes you wonder doesn't it but then again politics in both the US and the UK in recent years has shown us that there really is no limit to the gullability of many - they really are prepared to suspend all rational thought and believe literally anything they are told by ......well I was going to say their High Priests such as Trump, Farage or Johnson but actually that is rather demeaning to religous leaders - I'm afraid I don't share their beliefs either but I reckon it is much more rational to believe in one of the world's major religion than to worship at the feet of the bunch of liars, chancers and hypocrites that have been in power at both sides of the Atlantic.

And on that note I think it is worth adding James Dyson to your list of extremely wealthy hypocrites who campaigned for Brexit and then scooted off, in his case to Singapore, just in time for when he thought we would be leaving - although that doesn't seem to be working out too well for him, what a pity 😂

21 hours ago, Bill said:

......and right on cue Sir Jim Radcliffe decides that, despite promising to build the new Ineos 4x4 in Bridgend Wales, it is actually going to be built in France.....   https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/08/ineos-boss-opts-to-build-british-heir-to-land-rover-defender-in-france

...... and we haven't even left the transition period yet.

Makes you wonder if the penny will ever really drop for the dimwits who voted for this.....😂

My company is getting ready for brexit but we are now running out of storage space. And stockpiling soil from NI seems a bit daft, although necessary. We did have a container coming from China but even the agent doesn't have a clue when it will arrive. He did suggest next October but I assume he was joking. 

6 hours ago, Herman said:

My company is getting ready for brexit but we are now running out of storage space. And stockpiling soil from NI seems a bit daft, although necessary. We did have a container coming from China but even the agent doesn't have a clue when it will arrive. He did suggest next October but I assume he was joking. 

You're stockpiling soil from NI???

Don't tell me - you've found an incredibly obscure loophole in the Withdrawal Agreement whereby anyone who covers their garden in a metre of NI topsoil remains in the Single Market along with all the attendant rights, so you are clogging up all the ports with container loads of NI soil which you'll be flogging at an exorbitant price after Jan 1st - you are going to make an absolute killing  😀😀😀

• Haha 3

On 10/12/2020 at 16:59, Creative Midfielder said:

You're stockpiling soil from NI???

Don't tell me - you've found an incredibly obscure loophole in the Withdrawal Agreement whereby anyone who covers their garden in a metre of NI topsoil remains in the Single Market along with all the attendant rights, so you are clogging up all the ports with container loads of NI soil which you'll be flogging at an exorbitant price after Jan 1st - you are going to make an absolute killing  😀😀😀

Got about a hectares worth of Norn Iron in the back yard. Another few acres in the front yard. If Mohammad can't go to the mountain, bring the mountain to him.😀

p?i=dfbd6739631ae4f85aa3085c2bf23c1b

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Got about a hectares worth of Norn Iron in the back yard. Another few acres in the front yard. If Mohammad can't go to the mountain, bring the mountain to him.😀

p?i=dfbd6739631ae4f85aa3085c2bf23c1b

I'm guessing if you put this down on your property, you technically qualify for an Irish passport through residency?

• Haha 1

What's the shout for Monday morning as the markets open?

Brace, brace, brace.

Actually, it seems Johnson was too timid to attempt a crash landing and will go around again if he can pull up in time.

17 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

What's the shout for Monday morning as the markets open?

Brace, brace, brace.

Actually, it seems Johnson was too timid to attempt a crash landing and will go around again if he can pull up in time.

Pull up or pull out......................he doesn't seem to be very good at either   😀

Another damning critique of what is to come, deal or no deal

''Juergen Maier, the former chief executive of German electronics giant Siemens, warned that businesses were starting to shift parts of their operations to other countries in the EU while at the same time decrying the “nationalist” headlines over the weekend claiming Angela Merkel wanted the UK to “walk on broken glass” to secure a Brexit deal.

He said many people were under the illusion that a deal would be a panacea not realising that the mountain of red tape cross-border suppliers face will kick in whether there is a deal or not."

"He says Brexit will be felt deal or no deal but warns that “those who think a deal is going to miraculously resolve the situation” are wrong. It’s a slow puncture of the economy is how I describe it, because people will have made their contingency plans to lose bits of their production; to move parts of their research and development over to other places where it’s easier to do it from."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/14/brexit-will-hit-uk-economy-like-a-slow-puncture

Have a read, because when you see what board, trusts and government advisory committees he is on - it rather suggests what he is saying, is coming from the top.

And disturbingly the very jobs the UK can ill afford to lose have as good as gone. You put up barriers, restrictions and costs to get into your shop, then don't be surprised if your customers start shopping elsewhere.

This is not an incompetent liar spouting vacuous platitudes and making announcements, which he will do an about turn a few days later, but the former chief executive of German electronics giant Siemens

"“You don’t suddenly just take all of your operations and shift them to the Netherlands or France, you move bits of it or you might also plan that the next generation of products you’ve developed might be for a European factory as opposed to a UK factory."

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:41, Herman said:

. And stockpiling soil from NI seems a bit daft

Do tell more  Hermano , I'm intrigued.  🤔

10 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Do tell more  Hermano , I'm intrigued.  🤔

The people in charge of work were not sure of what is coming so they decided to order treble or so more of what we normally do. Also taking a calculated risk of increasing production next year as, because of covid and brexit, there will likely be a shortage of stock in England. Or, taking advantage of a ****ty situation as it is called.😀

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

The people in charge of work were not sure of what is coming so they decided to order treble or so more of what we normally do. Also taking a calculated risk of increasing production next year as, because of covid and brexit, there will likely be a shortage of stock in England. Or, taking advantage of a ****ty situation as it is called.😀

Wow, Soil from NI to Norfolk? I backed out of getting puddling clay in from Norfolk because of transport costs. You must work for / run a  big outfit  Hermano. 

Tiny in comparison to others in the business, but still about 30 acres to fill up with saleable stock. Going to be busy next year.

Do Tories lie ?

Well yes, considerably if your only yardstick was this forum, and the bigots elsewhere now openly admit it

"The newsletter says campaigners should view fake news as a technique that “crowds out genuine news” and allows “honest politicians” to be “pushed off the front pages”.

“You say the first thing that comes into your head,” it reads, adding: “It’ll probably be nonsense, but it knocks your opponent out of his stride and takes away his headline.

“You may get a bad headline saying that you spoke something silly, but you can live that down. Meanwhile your opponent is knocked off the news-feed”

"https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-activists-trump-wellingborough-fake-news-b1774341.html"

And the extra benefit is that not only does it distract from the truth and open democracy, but as shown on here there are those so stupid as to not see it for what it is, and actually not only believe it but regurgitate those "dubious claims" as 'fact'

Anyone with a basic knowledge of European history will be all too familiar with this tactic, and who used it

Sorry, Alternate Facts Aren't a Real Thing | by Oliver Chinyere | Medium

Cornwall has done very well out of the EU over the years, close to a billion pounds. There isn't a road, industrial estate, retail park, housing estate that wasn't either part or wholly funded by the EU.

Next year the Government will be giving the region £1.8 million. Spread that over the county and no-one will get anything.

And Cornwall voted overwhelmingly to leave.

Something that never really grasped by the thickos.

Regional aid not is a generous gift, but a means of targetted spending - with the intent of increasing trade and development.

You can't trade with parts of East Europe if the roads can't handle heavy traffic. Look at the benefits dualling the final part of the A11 has brought.

But as with farmers there have been far too many thickos willing to swallow lies, and are now only waking up to the reality of what they voted for. With no labelling voters will not know where much of their food came from, or how it was produced either,

Once away from the protection of the EU, the UK will find the pressure to reduce standards will enforce compromise.... as with the creeping privatisation of the NHS. Not so big that there is something to cause a reaction, but a steady chipping away.

And when it is finally noticed, as with farmers, it is too late

Edited by Bill

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Cornwall has done very well out of the EU over the years, close to a billion pounds. There isn't a road, industrial estate, retail park, housing estate that wasn't either part or wholly funded by the EU.

Next year the Government will be giving the region £1.8 million. Spread that over the county and no-one will get anything.

Think it is a very similar picture in the North East, much regeneration and many jobs created by EU funding yet voted heavily for leave.

Both areas will probably suffer more than most other areas for their stupidity, certainly the loss of jobs in the North East is going to be horrific over the next couple of years but that is indisputeably what they voted for........

It seems that regaining the sovereignty we'd never lost or perhaps just reducing immigration (which isn't going to happen either)  is more important than paying the mortgage/rent and feeding the family  🙄

• Like 3

16 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I have spent a fair bit of time holidaying in the Outer Hebrides and it is the same there. Villages halls built with EU money, or commercial centres, or bridges that cut travelling time to school by hours. The difference being that while in the 1975 referendum the islands voted overwhelmingly 70:30 to leave, in 2016 they voted, albeit by a smallish majority, to remain.

"“British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market." Johnson

"Earlier on Sunday, former deputy prime minister Lord Heseltine said Mr Johnson, Michael Gove and UKIP leader Nigel Farage must be in charge of EU negotiations, so that they would have no-one else to blame in the event of an adverse economic outcome for Britain."

both from 26th June 2016

lie after lie from Johnson as we now see clearly and although they don't have any one else to blame, that has, not  and will not, stop them from trying

24 minutes ago, Bill said:

more cost, more red tape

as the restrictions placed on pets being taken into the EU now also apply to NI

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/16/brexit-pets-will-need-certificate-for-travel-to-eu-and-northern-ireland

Yep, and so much for 'taking back control' as we are about to introduce a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Johnson's lies that this wouldn't happen as a result of his appalling Withdrawal Agreement are worth adding IMO to your earlier list of Johnson's most memorable lies.

5 hours ago, Bill said:

And here he is pi ssed, clearly stumbling and making it up as he goes

all of which have proven to be a lie........like pretty much everything else about this nonsense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NFfUOJwDE

😂😂 Hilarious, haven't seen that before.

Well hilarious until you stop to think about it a bit - although he's well pi ssed there he isn't much more coherent when sober nor does he make any more sense. Which rather begs the question of whether he was pi ssed when he signed the Withdrawal Agreement or whether he really is so thick he doesn't understand what he signed.

Hard to guess, although I guess its entirely possible that both are applicable. 😀

• Haha 1

Watch the fat gob****e caught out here at 1m 15 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XECkNSdyaYw

this has now become more pertinent as it demonstrates how clueless these brexit liars were - when even the most basic points are not understood by them, which is why we are where we are now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHse_CmO4gU

and these are not your average brexit thicko - just the ones who led them and now us into this mess

9 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Sheesh, fellas. May I remind you the EU has no money. It is actually hugely in debt. It is our money they are spending.

They must have stolen it from our £2 Trillion debt. Twonk!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Watch the fat gob****e caught out here at 1m 15 secs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XECkNSdyaYw

this has now become more pertinent as it demonstrates how clueless these brexit liars were - when even the most basic points are not understood by them, which is why we are where we are now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHse_CmO4gU

and these are not your average brexit thicko - just the ones who led them and now us into this mess

Mysterious that he refused to be interviewed by Andrew Neil during the election, and hid in a fridge to avoid a Piers Morgan question. You might be inclined to think he's just a lying coward; I couldn't possibly comment.

• Like 1

More stockpiling today. One truck stuck at Calais for 10 hours. Another 2 God knows where?!