Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Pukki- Time to cash in and sell or do you think he will regain his form in the Championship?

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

haha, he's no doubt well aware, he isn't getting in behind but then is that his fault or is it the incompetence of the lot behind him in getting the through balls to him?

It's a funny thing, sometimes the obvious isn't obvious if you see what I mean - and sometimes it takes the simplest advice to trigger a solution to a problem.   He may have stopped making those runs because of the way things have gone, but then he just has to return to his positive self and it might help his teamates too.  We may have to wait for next season to see him at his best again, but the advice appears good.

8 hours ago, Felixfan said:

A classic case of one season wonder

Ridiculous. Look at his career overall and you will see a player with an excellent goal scoring and goal creating record - and he has scored 11 goals this season too (should be 12 of course).

This shows  a bit of perspective this season -

Rashford 15

Martial 15

Abraham 14

Sterling  14

Kane 13

Pukki 12 (including the Sours debacle goal)

In past seasons too - Grant Holt 15 was hea one season wonder? (and Pukki has four games to get one or two more)

He's been a touch off form, that is all and will be back to his best once the whole team starts firing on all cylinders.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He's been a touch off form, that is all and will be back to his best once the whole team starts firing on all cylinders.

I was nodding along in agreement until the last line- no goals from open play in 2020 is more than a touch off form.

If you look at how Pukki's goals have come in previous seasons there are dry spells. In the season before we signed him there was a 14 game spell where he only got 1 goal despite getting 11 in 26 overall. In the previous season he got 16 in 25 and there was still a 3 month spell where he only got a few.  Remember that was for Brondby, a top side in a weaker league.

But yeah, Pukki is finnish.

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ridiculous. Look at his career overall and you will see a player with an excellent goal scoring and goal creating record - and he has scored 11 goals this season too (should be 12 of course).

This shows  a bit of perspective this season -

Rashford 15

Martial 15

Abraham 14

Sterling  14

Kane 13

Pukki 12 (including the Sours debacle goal)

In past seasons too - Grant Holt 15 was he a one season wonder? (and Pukki has four games to get one or two more)

Surely if you're giving Pukki an extra goal, you have to give Kane one for that ridiculous goal chalked off against Sheffield United? Maybe Sterling for a 'level' offside against Chelsea? Plus others I've no doubt forgotten about. We aren't the only ones who have suffered crazy decisions at the hands of VAR; most teams have.

And Grant Holt was a one-season wonder at Premier League level. He scored eight goals the season after and then dropped back into the Championship.

I'm not saying Pukki is or isn't a 'one-season wonder' and I'm not saying he is or isn't finished, but let's at least try to be objective when rating our players.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I was nodding along in agreement until the last line- no goals from open play in 2020 is more than a touch off form.

Hadn't scored in nine games before the lockdown is off form but not drastic in the life of a striker.  The extrordinary circumstances of the virus crisis and lockdown/restart makes normal reasoning go out of the window imo.

Holt was managed by Hughton in his second Premier League season, 8 is pretty good if you ask me. Hooper and Snodgrass only managed 6 in the next season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Surely if you're giving Pukki an extra goal, you have to give Kane one for that ridiculous goal chalked off against Sheffield United? Maybe Sterling for a 'level' offside against Chelsea? Plus others I've no doubt forgotten about. We aren't the only ones who have suffered crazy decisions at the hands of VAR; most teams have.

And Grant Holt was a one-season wonder at Premier League level. He scored eight goals the season after and then dropped back into the Championship.

I'm not saying Pukki is or isn't a 'one-season wonder' and I'm not saying he is or isn't finished, but let's at least try to be objective when rating our players.

No, I'm not giving anyone else any extra goals - that goal against Spurs was perfection.  Grant Holt was played out of position in g=his second season with Hughton but still managed 8 goals.

You want objectives.........40 league goals in two seasons and there are still four games to go.

It's a mix of things at the moment. He doesn't look 100% fit, maybe the toe issue still having an impact. He isn't getting very good service at the moment or the necessary support. He looks short on confidence, as most of the team do and he needs a lift.

None of these things are insurmountable and he is a definite keep for next year if we can - Strikers are expensive and difficult to replace and we have a proven one already on the books. Would be strange to let him go at this stage unless the offer was too good to turn down and would allow us to finance a reliable and proven replacement. 

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Hadn't scored in nine games before the lockdown is off form but not drastic in the life of a striker.  The extrordinary circumstances of the virus crisis and lockdown/restart makes normal reasoning go out of the window imo.

Maybe I'm being harsh but the goals v Sp[urs nad Bournemouth were both penalties. I know they still count but the fact those were the only goals he's scored in the last 17 league games is pretty drasticly off form.

If we discard Pukki, or actually he wants out, then we are going to pay serious money to replace him. Idah looks to have potential but is a long way off a 30 goal a season striker. Drmic will need a Pukkiesque transformation and has never been a prolific scorer. 

I can see us spending more money to get out of the Championship than we did to stay in the EPL!

Penalties are always an ‘unfair’ thing in that some strikers take them and others don’t.  I’ve long thought that a player’s goal tally should give some sort of indication - Kane takes them for Spurs (and England) for example - but they all count. 

I do find it rather odd how some seem to have completely written Pukki off.  The guy is clearly not quite firing in all cylinders but to discard him would be a mistake imo.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Maybe I'm being harsh but the goals v Sp[urs nad Bournemouth were both penalties. I know they still count but the fact those were the only goals he's scored in the last 17 league games is pretty drasticly off form.

It's down to how much the team has struggled as much as anything imo, once a striker loses that little bit of an edge because the team aren't supplying him, or he feels too much pressure is on him to score the goals. Afterall, who else has been contributing much in goals apart from Cantwell?

Keep him unless he demands to leave. 

He's over 30, and simply don't cut it at the top level next season. 

But in the championship with us he's got one more season where he can shine and get a promotion. 

10 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If we discard Pukki, or actually he wants out, then we are going to pay serious money to replace him. Idah looks to have potential but is a long way off a 30 goal a season striker. Drmic will need a Pukkiesque transformation and has never been a prolific scorer. 

I can see us spending more money to get out of the Championship than we did to stay in the EPL!

Why would drimic be relevant? 

He's on loan. 

• Confused 1

We may as well keep him now ,we are not gonna get big money for him now due to age ,confidence gone, so if he wants to stay then good and to be honest he's hardly putting himself in the shop window with his performances since October.😚

13 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

We may as well keep him now ,we are not gonna get big money for him now due to age ,confidence gone, so if he wants to stay then good and to be honest he's hardly putting himself in the shop window with his performances since October.😚

Why October when he was scoring up to December - in Nov/Dec he scored against Arsenal, Southampton, Leicester and Spurs(chalked off).

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No, I'm not giving anyone else any extra goals - that goal against Spurs was perfection.  Grant Holt was played out of position in g=his second season with Hughton but still managed 8 goals.

You want objectives.........40 league goals in two seasons and there are still four games to go.

See this is why you and many others on here who only wear canary tinted glasses cant ever be taken seriously. You charge every argument with blind emotions rather the hard facts. No objectivity, you fall in love with players and managers at the drop of a hat and cant bare and thoughts that your heros might be flawed. You lot constanly bang on about everyone you disagree with not seeing the bigger picture, but you cant see or accept whats going on right in front of your eyes. This btw has nothing to do with Pukki's form or ability. Im sure if hes with us in the championship next season he'll fill his boots again. It has everything to do with the inability to except anything that detracts from the fairytale love story you all have running around your deluded heads.

The goal didn't stand. End of. It will never stand it will never be recorded as a goal. Pukki will never have that on his record. Except in your fantasy world of yellow and green blinkeredness. Grow up for god sake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Why would drimic be relevant? 

He's on loan. 

On loan to professional football possibly... And overdue.

21 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

See this is why you and many others on here who only wear canary tinted glasses cant ever be taken seriously. You charge every argument with blind emotions rather the hard facts. No objectivity, you fall in love with players and managers at the drop of a hat and cant bare and thoughts that your heros might be flawed. You lot constanly bang on about everyone you disagree with not seeing the bigger picture, but you cant see or accept whats going on right in front of your eyes. This btw has nothing to do with Pukki's form or ability. Im sure if hes with us in the championship next season he'll fill his boots again. It has everything to do with the inability to except anything that detracts from the fairytale love story you all have running around your deluded heads.

The goal didn't stand. End of. It will never stand it will never be recorded as a goal. Pukki will never have that on his record. Except in your fantasy world of yellow and green blinkeredness. Grow up for god sake.

Yeah, I have to agree. Adding only Pukki's 'goal' to his season's tally, despite there being loads of other players at other clubs who have had similar goals chalked off by VAR, is little different to the Leeds fans who claim to be 'champions of Europe'.

Regardless of whether they were 'cheated' out of something they should have had, the history books don't count it and trying to claim otherwise is a bit embarrassing really. 

52 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Boy, talk about cynical.  What's up, hardhouse, never had a dream? 

It was a great goal, as was Jerome's overhead kick against Palace a few years ago, both "goals" indelibly linked to our history and in both cases probably having a direct affect on those two seasons - both matches drawn when they probably would have been won.  Two points lost in each case. Those two points against Palace would have made a big difference - and two points this season would have made a big difference too. 

Yeah, they didn't count, we all know that, but that doesn't take away from the breath taking skill of Jerome - and Vrancic and Pukki combined for that great goal.  Yes, you see it was a goal, it will not appear on any records, but it was a goal as clear to anyone that has an eye to see it. Useless officials can always come up with levels of stupidity and/or bias to rub those goals out, but they will always be goals in my mind and I suspect in many others.

The Pukki goal was by far the worst VAR decision out of all the stupidest of VAR decisions made this season. A clear goal, sheer class in it's creation and in it's execution.  One of the abiding memories of this season for both good and bad reasons.

Why October when he was scoring up to December - in Nov/Dec he scored against Arsenal, Southampton, Leicester and Spurs(chalked off).

Yeah sorry your right , hope he stays.😚

Yeah sorry your right , hope he stays.😚

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Boy, talk about cynical.  What's up, hardhouse, never had a dream? 

It was a great goal, as was Jerome's overhead kick against Palace a few years ago, both "goals" indelibly linked to our history and in both cases probably having a direct affect on those two seasons - both matches drawn when they probably would have been won.  Two points lost in each case. Those two points against Palace would have made a big difference - and two points this season would have made a big difference too. 

Yeah, they didn't count, we all know that, but that doesn't take away from the breath taking skill of Jerome - and Vrancic and Pukki combined for that great goal.  Yes, you see it was a goal, it will not appear on any records, but it was a goal as clear to anyone that has an eye to see it. Useless officials can always come up with levels of stupidity and/or bias to rub those goals out, but they will always be goals in my mind and I suspect in many others.

The Pukki goal was by far the worst VAR decision out of all the stupidest of VAR decisions made this season. A clear goal, sheer class in it's creation and in it's execution.  One of the abiding memories of this season for both good and bad reasons.

The thing about that disallowed goal just shows why vrancic should have had more game time,your not gonna get that from anyone else in our sqaud .😚

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

The thing about that disallowed goal just shows why vrancic should have had more game time,your not gonna get that from anyone else in our sqaud .😚

Apart from Buendia?

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Apart from Buendia?

As good as he is I don't think he could have hit the pass like vrancic

12 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

As good as he is I don't think he could have hit the pass like vrancic

Maybe you need to watch last season’s highlights.