Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Play like that in the Championship and we finish as Champions next season

Norwich have to do something different should they get promoted next season, relying on the youth system to produce coupled with a low budget recruitment policy hasn't worked this year so why would it in two years time? People have pointed to Villa and Fulham as examples of big spending failures but to me that just says 'poor quality spending'. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Love the way people are so keen for us to be Champions next season so we can come up and make all the same mistakes again.

Because we will.

We probably will.

For a yo-yo club like us that's just how it is. Hopefully if we do come back up we have a deeper talent base and will have learnt thay you really have to spend a little money to have any chance of avoiding relegation.

30 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Norwich have to do something different should they get promoted next season, relying on the youth system to produce coupled with a low budget recruitment policy hasn't worked this year so why would it in two years time? People have pointed to Villa and Fulham as examples of big spending failures but to me that just says 'poor quality spending'. 

Isn’t big spending failures the same as poor quality spending ? Either way both the clubs you mentioned have gambled on it and lost. If a club has a huge amount of money to spend it’s not that important but clubs like Norwich have to go for a cheaper option.

After yesterday’s result at Elland Rd surely even Leeds can’t b*lls it up yet again so you’d best hope that your spending isn’t ‘ poor quality ‘ too or you’ll be back in the Championship quicker than you think.

55 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Isn’t that the point though? A top quality signing on paper might turn out to be a complete flop. Scouts and the manager and the board can’t see into the future, so there is always some risk - you name me a manager/club and there’ll be at least a few bad signings. As a newly promoted club, you’re already favourites to go down. If you go down after paying huge sums, it’s all well and good crying “we didn’t spend well, sack the scouts, sack Webber, sack the manager” but the club still has to get over the huge financial burden of the wasted transfers. 

Villa knew that they had to spend to have a chance of staying up but instead of buying maybe 4/5 proven quality players they spent over a £100 million and brought in nine new faces plus Mings and El Ghazi who were already there on loan, most of the buys were simply not good enough for the PL so they've struggled. 

3 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Villa knew that they had to spend to have a chance of staying up but instead of buying maybe 4/5 proven quality players they spent over a £100 million and brought in nine new faces plus Mings and El Ghazi who were already there on loan, most of the buys were simply not good enough for the PL so they've struggled. 

Ok so how does that address the points made in response to your previous post?

My take on the responses was that Norwich shouldn't and couldn't copy Villa in gambling £100 million+ on survival and I gave an explanation of why I think Villa's gamble failed, that's all. The only way I can see Norwich surviving next time is if they keep hold of the likes of Cantwell and Aarons whilst at the same time adding experienced PL players in key areas. 

I think what DraytonBoy is saying is spending next to nothing is not a good strategy and neither is spending megabucks bringing in nearly a new team and I would agree with him. Of course Villa have not gone down yet (and yes I know we have not either but I would rather have their amount of points than ours) so the throwing money around strategy may still work for them, if they do go down it will be two seasons in a row that a team has spent £100M+ and still got relegated which hopefully will finally kill the myth that spending big is the solution. I also agree that if we can keep the likes of Krul, Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Buendia, add in a fit Zimmermann who has done OK at Premier League level, and we  do go straight back up, then we have the nucleus of an experienced side which we supplement with wise spending and wise use of the loan system, rather than relying again on players that are OK at Championship level but just not Premier League quality or loaning players we do not use.........

Top half next season I reckon, top 6 at a push. People saying we’ll walk it after a demoralising season of just 5 wins, no crowds at Carrie Road and after the inevitable departures of our best talent in the summer are off their rockers.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

On 28/06/2020 at 08:29, DraytonBoy said:

It has worked, in the sense that the club has had another year in which it has found and developed players - it's blueprint for the future

It hasn't worked if you imagine that the banks are going to lend tens of millions to buy players, and then tens of millions to pay wages in the Championship

I cannot see how such an easy observed point still seems to escape some.

It's not as if the Championship is not littered with those who thought those levels of spending would not wreck their clubs

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Top half next season I reckon, top 6 at a push. People saying we’ll walk it after a demoralising season of just 5 wins, no crowds at Carrie Road and after the inevitable departures of our best talent in the summer are off their rockers.

There’s plenty on here who wouldn’t want it any other way. Forget the relegations and just enjoy the silverware and promotions. 

On 28/06/2020 at 07:03, Dr Greenthumb said:

What happens if we get promoted again? Do we go cheap and play the “too early” status again?

The club will be aware of how the finances at that stage are and budget accordingly, as they have done this time

It is often the way these things work

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s plenty on here who wouldn’t want it any other way. Forget the relegations and just enjoy the silverware and promotions. 

me sir, that's me

as young master nutty wisely said

it is more fun getting into the PL than it is being there

and for those who enjoy watching good football them it matters little whether that is in the CH or the PL

unless your measure your 'experience' solely by what league the club are in

I think this year in hindsight, we needed a couple of positions and some more general depth, if we can keep this unit together, and get back up (both big asks) then we know what we need.   

We need more cover in every area of the pitch, (backup level players so there isnt a huge drop off when someone gets hurt), we need a starting centre back, 2 decent holding players for midfield and a number 10. 

If we have all that then we can compete. 

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 08:22, Yorkshire Canary said:

Much improved performance yesterday without the pressure of league points. That said 1 shot on goal tells a tale. Anyones guess what squad we will have on the first day of next season there will be a lot of comings and goings. If our recruitment is as good as the start of the last championship season i will be very optimistic if it is as good as the start of last season playoffs will be  absolute best. We have a very good crop of youngsters waiting to be blooded, far better to do so at championship level, how well they do will go a long way towards  success or otherwise

Was it just me puzzled by the 1 shot on goal stat given McGuire did an excellent block to stop that shot from Rupp which looked goal-bound to me ?

6 hours ago, Bill said:

The club will be aware of how the finances at that stage are and budget accordingly, as they have done this time

It is often the way these things work

So more of the same? 

6 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Was it just me puzzled by the 1 shot on goal stat given McGuire did an excellent block to stop that shot from Rupp which looked goal-bound to me ?

It certainly was on target ICF but I believe blocked shots do not get recorded on those stats sites as a shot on target. I may be wrong. I believe it will be recorded as a shot of course but possibly 'off target' ....which of course in a strict sense it is. 

Whatever though, we need to be troubling the keeper much more (starting this Wednesday evening!).