Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Farke putting the boot into Connor Southwell

19 minutes ago, Pugin said:

Wow!  It is a very harsh criticism unless Connor Southwell has previously been asked to keep to the facts, either personally or via his Editor. 

The extent to which Southwell takes himself seriously is absolutely hilarious. He writes as if he really believes that he's knows what he is talking about, whereas of course he doesn't. No amount of flowery language can conceal that, quite the opposite in fact.

His style and vocabulary is also a bugbear of mine. He often writes as if he were taught English at a very expensive and pretentious Swiss finishing school. Someone on the EDP editorial staff really should be mentoring him better, and tell him it's not a good look. He needs to simplify things, focus more heavily on facts, try to remember that things in football are usually shades of grey, rarely black and white, and lay off the personal criticism unless he can back it up with cast iron facts. It reminds me of the rambling and pretentious Italianate style of Brian Granville, but without the gravitas.

It's a very timely reminder for CS that should not have been necessary, but unfortunately was. There have been worse criticisms of match reporters. The late John Lyall, when manager of Ipswich Town, christened a good friend of mine called Dave Allard 'Judy Dench', his Cockney rhyming slang for 'stench'. He also threatened to have Dave run over! Way to go, Connor! I look forward to reading the next match report.

I agree the style and vocabulary also grinds my gears At times. It’s high school stuff, where you get the thesaurus out to make what you’re saying sound more impressive. Particularly if someone could get through to him he uses the word ‘operator’ far too much, sometimes multiple times were paragraph.

He will learn no doubt and improve. What is he, 18-19? And he‘s probably already doing his dream job. Fair play to him for putting the effort in to put himself in the position to get the job.

No one disputes we were poor but Farke has every right to respond back to people pretending to know tactics criticising aspects that just werent true.

I dont know how many different positions Aaron's played, I only saw 2 but if Farke says otherwise hes pretty unlikely to lie isnt he?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Has he made a signing over £3mil?

We simply don't know because the prices aren't disclosed. 

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Lewis - young

Godfrey - young

Cantwell - young

Buendia - young

In addition to this, he's phasing Idah and Martin into the playing team.

Oh and he turned Maddison from an Alex Neil reject into a £25 million pound sale from the club.

If you're going to criticise Farke, probs best to not go down the youth route, because that's one area he has excelled at.

Has he coached them to be their best?

Two of those are part of the worst defense in the League and were part of the worst defense of the League last season. 

5 hours ago, Bill said:

His remit was and is to turn the club around on the pitch etc

This he has done exceedingly well, with Webber

After the dismal draw at poorman road, no one foresaw we would walk of with the title, but up we went

Unlike you most understand that the club cannot borrow money from the bank to fund players.

Most also recognise that this is just part of that transformation - NOT the end product, and so most will question what your motivation is

May you should change your name to a Number 2 .... given the sh it you post

Seems like you haven't questioned what my motive is, you've just made your mind up and begin insulting me. 

*Unless you've been privy to his contract, you are guessing at his remit, at best you're partially right. Who knows?

*We could borrow from the bank if the club chose to, I personally can't ever recall posting anything about borrowing funds so I'm not sure why you're getting stressed about that.

*It's never the end product mate, always in transformation, we can only judge with what the situation is as we see it, the progress which has been made and the direction of travel. I feel that some of our players have greater potential, don't you?

I don't think I've insulted you or said anything nasty. 👍

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

Wow!  It is a very harsh criticism unless Connor Southwell has previously been asked to keep to the facts, either personally or via his Editor. 

The extent to which Southwell takes himself seriously is absolutely hilarious. He writes as if he really believes that he's knows what he is talking about, whereas of course he doesn't. No amount of flowery language can conceal that, quite the opposite in fact.

His style and vocabulary is also a bugbear of mine. He often writes as if he were taught English at a very expensive and pretentious Swiss finishing school. Someone on the EDP editorial staff really should be mentoring him better, and tell him it's not a good look. He needs to simplify things, focus more heavily on facts, try to remember that things in football are usually shades of grey, rarely black and white, and lay off the personal criticism unless he can back it up with cast iron facts. It reminds me of the rambling and pretentious Italianate style of Brian Granville, but without the gravitas.

It's a very timely reminder for CS that should not have been necessary, but unfortunately was. There have been worse criticisms of match reporters. The late John Lyall, when manager of Ipswich Town, christened a good friend of mine called Dave Allard 'Judy Dench', his Cockney rhyming slang for 'stench'. He also threatened to have Dave run over! Way to go, Connor! I look forward to reading the next match report.

Well, Glanville was very often writing in Italian!

15 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Has he coached them to be their best?

Two of those are part of the worst defense in the League and were part of the worst defense of the League last season. 

Other Premier League clubs seem to think so. You're going to lose trying the youth angle - all our best performers have typically been younger players who have all publically thanked Farke for his help in their development.

Had a couple of private conversation with James Maddison who was, without prompting, incredibly indebted to Farke not just for picking him, but developing his game too.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Other Premier League clubs seem to think so. You're going to lose trying the youth angle - all our best performers have typically been younger players who have all publically thanked Farke for his help in their development.

Had a couple of private conversation with James Maddison who was, without prompting, incredibly indebted to Farke not just for picking him, but developing his game too.

I've not had a sensible conversation with James as everytime I've met him he's had a couple of beers and having a disagreement with other people, I'm pleased to read your comments about him. I certainly like what he does on the pitch.

I wasn't trying 'win trying the youth angle' just an observation that three of our most played defenders are 'youth' and we have the worst defense in christendom. 

That doesn't make them or Farke bad people, just suggests very strongly that coaching of the defence ain't up to much.

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

I've not had a sensible conversation with James as everytime I've met him he's had a couple of beers and having a disagreement with other people, I'm pleased to read your comments about him. I certainly like what he does on the pitch.

I wasn't trying 'win trying the youth angle' just an observation that three of our most played defenders are 'youth' and we have the worst defense in christendom. 

That doesn't make them or Farke bad people, just suggests very strongly that coaching of the defence ain't up to much.

I dont agree that's the case, it's simply that having that much inexperience in a back line with an out of form side in front of them is difficult no matter how good they are. We looked better defensively with Byram and Zimmerman but unfortunately not been fit for enough of the season.

Still, Max has shown what hes capable of and actually had a good game against Sourhampton comparatively speaking. Lewis has had good games and so has Godfrey. That they've not consistently been good is hardly surprising because young players typically aren't other than maybe the top 5 or so in the world.

36 minutes ago, Number9 said:

We simply don't know because the prices aren't disclosed. 

You can get the general gist of a transfer fee off the internet. Farke has had peanuts to spend and has had to sell his best assets frequently. He has done very well, with what he has been given.

6 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

You can get the general gist of a transfer fee off the internet. Farke has had peanuts to spend and has had to sell his best assets frequently. He has done very well, with what he has been given.

The post-balance sheet section of the annual accounts gives details not just of the basic fees paid but of any potential add-ons, but only as two lump sums. However if there are only a few transfers then it is often possible to work out roughly what the fees were for this deal or that.

22 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

You can get the general gist of transfer activity by counting the number of incoming players,  about  30 - 40 many of them attacking midfielders. Its not what he has been given, that's three teams of players he has bought in. 

25 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont agree that's the case, it's simply that having that much inexperience in a back line with an out of form side in front of them is difficult no matter how good they are. We looked better defensively with Byram and Zimmerman but unfortunately not been fit for enough of the season.

Still, Max has shown what hes capable of and actually had a good game against Sourhampton comparatively speaking. Lewis has had good games and so has Godfrey. That they've not consistently been good is hardly surprising because young players typically aren't other than maybe the top 5 or so in the world.

We can't say that young players are being played all the time AND say they are inexperienced. With that playing time comes contact hours with coaches as individuals and as a defensive unit. 

Also, we can't really look at the defensive stats for the past couple of seasons and use the term 'inconsistent' the opposite is true,  they have been very consistent, sadly. 

Ask yourself why that has consistently not been addressed by the coaching staff. 

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

I agree the style and vocabulary also grinds my gears At times. It’s high school stuff, where you get the thesaurus out to make what you’re saying sound more impressive. Particularly if someone could get through to him he uses the word ‘operator’ far too much, sometimes multiple times were paragraph.

He will learn no doubt and improve. What is he, 18-19? And he‘s probably already doing his dream job. Fair play to him for putting the effort in to put himself in the position to get the job.

I've just had a look: he left school in 2016 and started uni in 2018, which would make him 20 (or nearly 20). I didn't realise he was quite that young, so fair play to him for getting that job so young.

This is really worth watching from 3 30 onwards

Really puts into perspective what the current side is up against. But it's also kind of depressing really because it shows just how far off we are from being remotely competitive at this level financially. 

I don't think Farke has gotten everything right this season or last game, I've got my own criticisms, particularly with the way we defend one on one, the positions we prioritise for signings and the spaces we leave at the back when attacking but realistically, our problems aren't because of Farke's tactics, his work on the training ground or the desire or workrate of the players, if those were issues they would deserve criticism, but that's not why we're bottom of the league or why we lost at the weekend. 

I think we'll struggle to ever find a better SD/Head coach combination than Webber and Farke and it's a travesty we can't give them any kind of financial backing.  How we solve that problem though is even more difficult.

If Farke and the coaching staff are more concerned about criticism from a fair article from the journalists than concentrating on tomorrows game then we are in big trouble. Farke was and has been stubborn all season with his tactics and team selection as well as the subs and once again vs Southampton Farke completely got his team selection and tactics horribly wrong and you have to seriously question why there was no real effort or desire from the players either. Now is not the time for morning or whining from the management team as we have to mentally prepared and up for the fight to win games. Everyone could see including the journalists that our performance against Southampton was frankly embarrassing and a disgrace with such a lack of motivation and desire to play and tackle. If Farke is so concerned with journalist criticism then why are they not doing everything to sort out the defence and defensive organization. I love Farke as our manager but to constantly harp on about our injuries and so on is not the right mentality when we need to be doing everything to sort out the defensive problems, play our best players and creative players with Tettey holding and not have them sitting on the bench and be mentally right to win the game tomorrow. There needs to be at least 5 changes to the team, Vrancic, Tettey, Hernandez, Leitner & Idah have to start with dropping Trybull, McLean, drimic, cantwell & Klose as Klose is clearly not fit enough to start and now is not the moment to be carrying players, with a change in formation to 3-5-2, and go all out for the win. A draw is not enough anymore. I still believe we can stay up and that we have enough quality in the squad but I get the impression that the manager and players have mentally given up as if we play like we did vs Southampton then we won’t get anymore points. Farke has to be more creative and change his tactics which he stubbornly failed to do all season and adapt to the difference in the premier league. If anyone needs an example of his stubbornness then just look at the defence. No change in defending or how we defensively organize or even mark the opposition and also the fact he didn’t even sign a new CB or DM in Jan. The journalist in question was right in lots of his analysis despite what Farke might think and I am not confident for tomorrow’s game now as mentally Farke should be concentrating and focused on the game tomorrow rather than arguing with a journalist who made a lot of fair and correct points. And I have always liked Farke as manager but if we continue to play and line up like the Southampton game then we have no chance. I was expecting big changes and improvements for tomorrow like most of the fans on here so let’s hope Farke has too.

4 hours ago, Number9 said:

don't think I've insulted you or said anything nasty. 👍

That wont stop him. He doesn't need a reason. Well, not a valid one anyway.Just a makey uppy one from inside his own head.

Edited by wcorkcanary

15 hours ago, hogesar said:

I personally liked this bit from Farke, as he is regularly criticised on here for not making changes, and people don't see what goes on in a game, in detail. Neither do I, for the record, but I understand I'm not tactically aware enough to pick up all changes thus I'll generally withold criticism:

What changes did he make before they scored then? What did he say to them at half time. Making lots of changes after we are losing is not being “proactive” it’s reactive. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect this was also a factor with Farke going on the attack today. Not only did he have to take on Southampton knowing that three players were going to be unavailable for the whole of the restart, but with Tettey seemingly being sidelined as well. We brought on five subs and he wasn't one of them. He may be able to play some part in the restart but under our straitened circumstances in an ideal world he would be starting every game.

Very convenient that Tettey is suddenly “not ready” as an explanation for his omission when that’s never been claimed in the lead up to the game and he was on the bench. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Very convenient that Tettey is suddenly “not ready” as an explanation for his omission when that’s never been claimed in the lead up to the game and he was on the bench. 

Jim, how on earth does that qualify as 'convenient' for Norwich City or Farke??? And why should Soithampton get warned that one of our key players was not fully fit? And do you not think that if Tettey had been fit to play last Friday he would at the very least have been one of the five subs who came on? What are you suggesting, that Tettey is being left out despite being fit?

10 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jim, how on earth does that qualify as 'convenient' for Norwich City or Farke??? And why should Soithampton get warned that one of our key players was not fully fit? And do you not think that if Tettey had been fit to play last Friday he would at the very least have been one of the five subs who came on? What are you suggesting, that Tettey is being left out despite being fit?

Yes. That is what I am suggesting. I don’t believe Tettey wasn’t fit and to be fair to Farke I don’t think he’s suggesting that either is he?

I think Farke got it wrong on Friday. Whilst Southwell uses a lot of unnecessary words to say it I think he’s spot on in several of his observations.

im perfectly happy to “give Daniel and the lads a break” for the season as a whole. He’s had one arm tied behind his back from the outset which coupled with the injuries has made life very difficult. I hope very much he will learn. But I’m not prepared to “give them a break” for the tactics and performance on Friday which were awful. They deserved criticism and they got it. I only hope that it brings a reaction tonight because with how the other results have gone we unbelievably still have a chance here if we can respond in the right way and find a win tonight. 

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

My guess would be that in a 442 system the feeling was Tettey wasn’t mobile enough to cope. In the 4231 system he has (in theory at least) got more cover around him/in front of him. After going behind, why would you bring Tettey on? We need goals when losing, not defensive midfielders. 

If we had gone with the usual 4231, i reckon Tettey would have started. We could also have gone for a 4231 without Tettey. So I doubt Tettey had any real impact on the formation choice. Suggesting he did is, I fear, trying to give the manager an excuse he doesn’t deserve in this instance.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

What changes did he make before they scored then? What did he say to them at half time. Making lots of changes after we are losing is not being “proactive” it’s reactive. 

I would say our initial formation and team line-up was being proactive in the first instance, no one saw that coming. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it isn't proactive.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

This x 92929929

But when this sort of rubbish starts on here you won't stop it Purple. 

• Haha 1

I've never read so much twaddle on a thread about football.  All Farke has pinpointed is the fact that a journalist has written an article full of it's own importance in the way that it pontificates (innacurately) about the match.  Journalists - unless they are qualified coaches themselves - should not be talking in so much detail about tactics, substitions etc etc, their job is to report what has happened on the pitch, not talk as if they are experts on football.  He may have made some good points in his article as well as the wrong analysis, but Connor Southwell is no more an expert on football than thousands of others of us and it is fine if he wants to talk about tactics etc on social media, but his job is as a reporter, not a football pundit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The post-balance sheet section of the annual accounts gives details not just of the basic fees paid but of any potential add-ons, but only as two lump sums. However if there are only a few transfers then it is often possible to work out roughly what the fees were for this deal or that.

I just use transfermarket on the net, quite an accurate site too

10 hours ago, Number9 said:

You can get the general gist of transfer activity by counting the number of incoming players,  about  30 - 40 many of them attacking midfielders. Its not what he has been given, that's three teams of players he has bought in. 

How many has he sold/loaned too?