Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

National

109,133 -  335 

rate of decrease of  23.9%           1.6 million tests

Case numbers continue to decrease

Local

Norwich   West rate             1730.6  down again   should see a decline soon          Local   R  estimated 1 - 1.3

N&N in Hospital (seems to have stalled)

11-01-2022                                   111
10-01-2022 115
09-01-2022 110
08-01-2022 112
07-01-2022 103

Vax  

1st Dose           19,520                90.5% done                               Norwich numbers   78.8%        Booster rate 53.9%     

2nd Dose          30,340                 83.1% done                                                                 72.9%

Booster    126,632    total          36,079,875                62.7%          

In Hospital 

12-01-2022                                 19,721
11-01-2022 19,764
10-01-2022 19,864
09-01-2022 19,076
08-01-2022 18,639
07-01-2022 18,716

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

109,133 -  335 

Local

Norwich   West rate             1730.6  down again   should see a decline soon          Local   R  estimated 1 - 1.3

10-01-2022 115
09-01-2022 110
08-01-2022 112
07-01-2022 103

Vax  

1st Dose           19,520                90.5% done                               Norwich numbers   78.8%        Booster rate 53.9%     

2nd Dose          30,340                 83.1% done                                                                 72.9%

In Hospital 

11-01-2022 19,764
10-01-2022 19,864
09-01-2022 19,076
08-01-2022 18,639
07-01-2022 18,716

Hospitals going down too, good to see.

More evidence that this corona virus escaped from a Wuhan lab.

TL;DR From the very outset senior scientists held suspicions that the virus leaked from a lab but not only hid this information but deliberately tried to diss it as conspiracy theory.

From Matt Ridley in the Telegraph:

Inch by painful inch, the truth is being dragged out about how this pandemic started. It is just about understandable, if not forgivable, that Chinese scientists have obfuscated vital information about early cases and their work with similar viruses in Wuhan’s laboratories: they were subject to fierce edicts from a ruthless, totalitarian regime.

It is more shocking to discover in emails released this week that some western scientists were also saying different things in public from what they thought in private. The emails were exchanged over the first weekend of February 2020 between senior virologists on both sides of the Atlantic following a meeting arranged by Sir Jeremy Farrar, head of the Wellcome Trust, with America’s two top biologists, Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, and Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Freedom of Information requests sent last year produced farcical results in both Britain and America: ghost emails with all the contents redacted. Now, the US government has been forced to make unredacted versions available to Republicans on the House of Representatives’ oversight committee for an “in camera review”.

Thankfully, staffers transcribed some of the contents. They show that Dr Fauci, Dr Collins and Sir Patrick Vallance, our Government’s Chief Scientific Adviser, were briefed, on and after February 1, by several virologists who thought at the time that the new virus showed signs of having been manipulated in the laboratory.

Not only did they never breathe a word of this suspicion to the media or the public, they rubbished it. The meeting on February 1 led to an article from the very virologists who were making the case that the virus showed signs of having been in a lab. Yet, in the words of Dr Collins, the job of that article was to “settle” the matter and “put down this very destructive conspiracy” lest the rumours do harm to “international harmony”.

Three of the five authors in that paper are shown in the emails to be leaning towards the conclusion either that a key part of the genome of the virus had been manipulated in a laboratory, or that the virus had mutated in human cells while in a lab. Yet they dismissed both possibilities in the paper they drafted.

We do not know what was in the first draft, prepared just three days after the meeting, but the final article, published in Nature Medicine on March 17, concluded that “we do not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible”.

By then, two other articles had been rushed into print. One, in The Lancet, set out to “strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that Covid-19 does not have a natural origin”. The other, in Emerging Microbes and Infections (EMI), by Liu Shan-Lu and colleagues, found “no credible evidence supporting claims of the laboratory engineering” of the virus. The Lancet article failed to disclose (for 18 months) the conflict of interest of several authors including Peter Daszak, a close collaborator of the Wuhan Institute of Virology who secretly orchestrated the article.

The EMI article failed to disclose the fact that a senior virologist, Ralph Baric of the University of North Carolina, had agreed to help edit it, saying: “Sure, but don’t want to be cited in as having commented prior to submission.” Scientific journals have not behaved with transparency.

At the time, given that I had written extensively on genomics, I was asked often about the chances that the pandemic started with a lab leak and I said this had been ruled out, pointing to the three articles in question. Only later, when I dug deeper, did I notice just how flimsy their arguments were.

For example, the Nature Medicine paper included a passage saying the virus “would have then required repeated passage in cell culture or animals with ACE2 receptors, but such work has also not previously been described”. It is surprising to learn now that Sir Jeremy Farrar himself thought this very “passage” operation was a “likely explanation” of how the virus came to have its unique features. At the time, I trusted senior virologists who told me the lab leak could be dismissed. Frankly, I was duped.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And he used to make bleddy good stereo systems😄

Got you down for one of these 😁

34B5E92D-DC47-48C6-95BF-216FCE36F0E8.png

13 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

TL;DR From the very outset senior scientists held suspicions that the virus leaked from a lab but not only hid this information but deliberately tried to diss it as conspiracy theory.

It wouldn't be a surprise but Xi is never going to admit it and little anyone can do about it.

Latest from ZOE suggest we are past peak by about a week. Tim Spector says it is presently more common than the common cold. He also thinks it will continue at about a third of the present rate and become endemic.

Regarding the rise in deaths, prevalence rates in the community mean that the incidental "with Covid" rates would be expected to be high. On a population wide basis if 5-10% of people had it at any one time then 5-10% of total deaths (1500 per day) would be around 50-100 per day.

Edited by ricardo

On 11/01/2022 at 20:59, Iwans Big Toe said:

Ahh, irony. If you get it, you get it.

God grief, utterly PATHETIC. Just what it is with this 21st century word being “Sheeple” getting worse by the day!?. That stupid music accompanying the video also, enough said.

These vaccinations are the only way out of this, it’s no joke.

Edited by KernowCanary

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It wouldn't be a surprise but Xi is never going to admit it and little anyone can do about it.

Latest from ZOE suggest we are past peak by about a week. Tim Spector says it is presently more common than the common cold. He also thinks it will continue at about a third of the present rate and become endemic.

Regarding the rise in deaths, prevalence rates in the community mean that the incidental "with Covid" rates would be expected to be high. On a population wide basis if 5-10% of people had it at any one time then 5-10% of total deaths (1500 per day) would be around 50-100 per day.

Yes we are now on the decrease to whatever  stable daily it ends up as..deaths and hospital admissions maybe at or near their peak hopefully to.

Argentina now in the 130k a day mark and Australia recording over 150k today. Global daily case stats clearly show the incredible contagion of Omicron..all thru the different variants global daily cases remained pretty stable between 300-600k a day..but the last 6 weeks or so Omicron has just  smashed that out of sight...another high yesterday of 3.2 million

2 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Yes we are now on the decrease to whatever  stable daily it ends up as..deaths and hospital admissions maybe at or near their peak hopefully to.

Argentina now in the 130k a day mark and Australia recording over 150k today. Global daily case stats clearly show the incredible contagion of Omicron..all thru the different variants global daily cases remained pretty stable between 300-600k a day..but the last 6 weeks or so Omicron has just  smashed that out of sight...another high yesterday of 3.2 million

The more that get infected without dying, the more immunity we build.

Of course, the scummy MSM don’t care about that, all they care about is us being doomed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

National

109,133 -  335 

Local

10-01-2022 115
09-01-2022 110
08-01-2022 112
07-01-2022 103

Vax  

In Hospital 

11-01-2022 19,764
10-01-2022 19,864
09-01-2022 19,076
08-01-2022 18,639
07-01-2022 18,716

Suggesting past the peak, lets see what school returns do but looking good.A classic curve!

Some really big numbers coming in from Europe now, they are probably a little behind us as regards peaking.

15 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Some really big numbers coming in from Europe now, they are probably a little behind us as regards peaking.

Hopefully they have a similar level of community immunity as us and we can all move on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am thinking that only lot of competitive matches will be seen in FIFA 2022, but what is the guideline regarding covid-19,

The audience is allowed in ground or not because without audience is not good feel.

so i'm wondering what will happen in FIFA WORLD CUP-2022 in Qatar
Edited by Davidjamson
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Well b back said:

Isolation drops to five days in U.K. 

Happy to stand corrected but that’s 2 days less than anyone else as our isolation starts from 1st symptoms, and US starts from date pcr test is received.

No, that's incorrect Wbb......just another media scare story.

Calculating Quarantine

The date of your exposure is considered day 0. Day 1 is the first full day after your last contact with a person who has had COVID-19. Stay home and away from other people for at least 5 days. Learn why CDC updated guidance for the general public.

• Like 1

“Reasonable excuse” has to be the most annoying buzz phrase to come out of this almost two year long nightmare.

Its basically (falsely) saying, that you are lying but are being let off.

20 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

“Reasonable excuse” has to be the most annoying buzz phrase to come out of this almost two year long nightmare.

It’s been a legal concept for a long time, normally would have to be proved in a judicial setting, either to the civil or criminal standard depending on the particular law involved.

22 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

From Matt Ridley in the Telegraph:

Inch by painful inch, the truth is being dragged out about how this pandemic started. It is just about understandable, if not forgivable, that Chinese scientists have obfuscated vital information about early cases and their work with similar viruses in Wuhan’s laboratories: they were subject to fierce edicts from a ruthless, totalitarian regime.

It is more shocking to discover in emails released this week that some western scientists were also saying different things in public from what they thought in private. The emails were exchanged over the first weekend of February 2020 between senior virologists on both sides of the Atlantic following a meeting arranged by Sir Jeremy Farrar, head of the Wellcome Trust, with America’s two top biologists, Francis Collins, director of the National Institutes of Health, and Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Freedom of Information requests sent last year produced farcical results in both Britain and America: ghost emails with all the contents redacted. Now, the US government has been forced to make unredacted versions available to Republicans on the House of Representatives’ oversight committee for an “in camera review”.

Thankfully, staffers transcribed some of the contents. They show that Dr Fauci, Dr Collins and Sir Patrick Vallance, our Government’s Chief Scientific Adviser, were briefed, on and after February 1, by several virologists who thought at the time that the new virus showed signs of having been manipulated in the laboratory.

Not only did they never breathe a word of this suspicion to the media or the public, they rubbished it. The meeting on February 1 led to an article from the very virologists who were making the case that the virus showed signs of having been in a lab. Yet, in the words of Dr Collins, the job of that article was to “settle” the matter and “put down this very destructive conspiracy” lest the rumours do harm to “international harmony”.

Three of the five authors in that paper are shown in the emails to be leaning towards the conclusion either that a key part of the genome of the virus had been manipulated in a laboratory, or that the virus had mutated in human cells while in a lab. Yet they dismissed both possibilities in the paper they drafted.

We do not know what was in the first draft, prepared just three days after the meeting, but the final article, published in Nature Medicine on March 17, concluded that “we do not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible”.

By then, two other articles had been rushed into print. One, in The Lancet, set out to “strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that Covid-19 does not have a natural origin”. The other, in Emerging Microbes and Infections (EMI), by Liu Shan-Lu and colleagues, found “no credible evidence supporting claims of the laboratory engineering” of the virus. The Lancet article failed to disclose (for 18 months) the conflict of interest of several authors including Peter Daszak, a close collaborator of the Wuhan Institute of Virology who secretly orchestrated the article.

The EMI article failed to disclose the fact that a senior virologist, Ralph Baric of the University of North Carolina, had agreed to help edit it, saying: “Sure, but don’t want to be cited in as having commented prior to submission.” Scientific journals have not behaved with transparency.

At the time, given that I had written extensively on genomics, I was asked often about the chances that the pandemic started with a lab leak and I said this had been ruled out, pointing to the three articles in question. Only later, when I dug deeper, did I notice just how flimsy their arguments were.

For example, the Nature Medicine paper included a passage saying the virus “would have then required repeated passage in cell culture or animals with ACE2 receptors, but such work has also not previously been described”. It is surprising to learn now that Sir Jeremy Farrar himself thought this very “passage” operation was a “likely explanation” of how the virus came to have its unique features. At the time, I trusted senior virologists who told me the lab leak could be dismissed. Frankly, I was duped.

Interesting and pretty shocking that the scientific community has labelled the lab escape theory a conspiracy theory with no basis for doing so.

As time goes on, we still don't have any established route for a natural spread from an animal host into humans, whereas in the past e.g. SARS I believe that has been identified pretty soon.  So, simple passage of time is making it look more likely that it's China's fault rather than a natural occurrence.

If I were a journalist, I'd be keeping an eye out for the scientists we know of who have been working at the Wuhan institute to see if any of them start to disappear or to die off at a higher rate than you'd expect...

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Ummm wouldn't having a reasonable excuse mean you have an, err, "reasonable" excuse for whatever it is?

4 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Interesting and pretty shocking that the scientific community has labelled the lab escape theory a conspiracy theory with no basis for doing so.

As time goes on, we still don't have any established route for a natural spread from an animal host into humans, whereas in the past e.g. SARS I believe that has been identified pretty soon.  So, simple passage of time is making it look more likely that it's China's fault rather than a natural occurrence.

If I were a journalist, I'd be keeping an eye out for the scientists we know of who have been working at the Wuhan institute to see if any of them start to disappear or to die off at a higher rate than you'd expect...

I seem to recall a week or two ago that they had indeed found a natural virus pretty close to our SARs. I'd have to search and go back and find the link - I think it was in Laos.

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

I seem to recall a week or two ago that they had indeed found a natural virus pretty close to our SARs. I'd have to search and go back and find the link - I think it was in Laos.

I'll be interested to read whatever you find, but my point was that I saw a comment that when SARS came out, the link to the origin was established quickly, whereas with Covid we're now well over 2 years since it was first identified and I'm not aware of any link to the origin yet being established. 

Hence the reason why to me, the Wuhan lab escape theory is gaining traction by default.  I'm sure China will do its absolute best to defend against this, you'd have thought they'd be doing masses of research in the background to try to find a natural origin for exactly this reason.

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

I'll be interested to read whatever you find, but my point was that I saw a comment that when SARS came out, the link to the origin was established quickly, whereas with Covid we're now well over 2 years since it was first identified and I'm not aware of any link to the origin yet being established. 

Hence the reason why to me, the Wuhan lab escape theory is gaining traction by default.  I'm sure China will do its absolute best to defend against this, you'd have thought they'd be doing masses of research in the background to try to find a natural origin for exactly this reason.

Here's a start - I recall clocking this and elsewhere.

It's obviously almost impossible to prove a negative for the lab leak theory even if unlikely. Some just want to believe that preferentially usually on the right.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/10/06/origin-very-close-relatives-of-sars-cov-2-identified-in-laotian-bats/

19 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Here's a start - I recall clocking this and elsewhere.

It's obviously almost impossible to prove a negative for the lab leak theory even if unlikely. Some just want to believe that preferentially usually on the right.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2021/10/06/origin-very-close-relatives-of-sars-cov-2-identified-in-laotian-bats/

Interesting and I'm not surprised at all they've been doing lots of research along these lines.  But as the article makes clear, these are just some of the links in the chain and still some way from actually showing a natural origin to Covid, which may follow as they do further research.

I think for China it's very straightforward to disprove the Wuhan lab leak theory - they need to show that as a matter of scientific evidence, the virus had a natural origin.  That will end the serious debate.  Obviously there will be nutjobs who will stick with the lab escape theory no matter what, but in terms of the wider scientific community China should be able to (and very much needs to ) come up with solid evidence which is enough to satisfy them. 

National

99,652 -  270

rate of decrease of  29.5%           1.4 million tests

Local

Norwich   West rate             1713.2  down again             Local   R  estimated 1 - 1.3

10-01-2022 115
09-01-2022 110
08-01-2022 112
07-01-2022 103

Vax  

1st Dose           20,521                90.5% done                               Norwich numbers   78.8%        Booster rate 54.1%     

2nd Dose          32,197                 83.2% done                                                                 72.9%

Booster    111,849    total          36,191,724                62.9%          

In Hospital 

13-01-2022                                 19,539
12-01-2022 19,729
11-01-2022 19,766
10-01-2022 19,876
09-01-2022 19,079
08-01-2022 18,642

Numbers may have peaked  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Ummm wouldn't having a reasonable excuse mean you have an, err, "reasonable" excuse for whatever it is?

It’s the poor wording, it should be called “Acceptable reason”, or “Eligible reason”.

Edited by KernowCanary

15 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

99,652 -  270

rate of decrease of  29.5%           1.4 million tests

Local

Norwich   West rate             1713.2  down again             Local   R  estimated 1 - 1.3

10-01-2022 115
09-01-2022 110
08-01-2022 112
07-01-2022 103

Vax  

1st Dose           20,521                90.5% done                               Norwich numbers   78.8%        Booster rate 54.1%     

2nd Dose          32,197                 83.2% done                                                                 72.9%

Booster    111,849    total          36,191,724                62.9%          

In Hospital 

13-01-2022                                 19,539
12-01-2022 19,729
11-01-2022 19,766
10-01-2022 19,876
09-01-2022 19,079
08-01-2022 18,642

Numbers may have peaked  

So good to see the case numbers dropping sharply as was forecast by the models, and hopefully hospital numbers have now peaked which is solid backup to the case numbers having peaked some way back due to the lag.

Covid is clearly going to be with us indefinitely (anyone with a hotline to Premier Xi, let him know, actually on second thoughts don't unless you fancy getting to know more about China's gulags at first hand....) but I am optimistic now that we're on the road to it becoming another endemic illness with annual jabs and we won't have any more restrictions imposed in England at least.

This thread has been a really useful source of information over the last couple of years, generally ahead of the MSM when it comes to finding useful info about Covid.  But I've been looking at it less often as things are moving on, and you'll probably see me on this thread a lot less now, and I'll be back to looking more at the football side of this messageboard (what joy !).

All the best guys and thanks again for so many useful bits of info, you know who you are from the times I've liked all your posts on here !!

• Like 3

87,857 in England - lowest since 21 December

England patients fall again for fourth straight day - by 179 to 16,537

Ventilators also down again by 29 to 637.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

87,857 in England - lowest since 21 December

England patients fall again for fourth straight day - by 179 to 16,537

Ventilators also down again by 29 to 637.

Hugely encouraging 

• Like 1