He's out of contract at the end of the next season - does anyone agree that he’d be a good addition for City at the right price this summer?

I’ve always always rated him...mainly due to his brilliant attitude and work rate. He certainly doesn’t score nearly enough goals but he must be a pain in the ar$e to play against and creates space for others, decent in the air, hold up play etc.

I think he’d be a great foil for Pukki...although he doesn’t exactly fit into the system Farke likes. Thoughts?

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/shane-long-wont-go-knocking-for-a-new-southampton-contract

Edited by zema abbey football genius

Barn door and Banjo springs to mind. we really dont need someone as wasteful as Shane Long as hard working as he is. We need someone who will cope with having 1 chance in a tight game and scoring it a la Chris Wood

Not a chance.... no long-termism in that option... it will be someone obscure and unexpected and cheap which is fine by me! 

Think we will keep away from loans too.    Again no long-term option which is part of the philosophy now.....

Don't understand clubs loaning players at the expense of their own!

Always rated Long, I hoped we would go for him when we were promoted at Portsmouth. Once he moved, he was out of our price range, but he probably hasn't done anything special in the Premiership. Not sure what his wages are but I don't think he's the right age for us either. 

5 hours ago, Tetteys Jig said:

he went about 50 games without a goal not long ago. we cant afford that profligacy next season of all seasons

I wouldn’t describe him as profligate - I base this on:

a) Southampton don’t exactly carve out a huge amount of chances every game

b) Long hasn’t played full games for them (if I could be bothered I’d look at how many times he’d come on for 10 mins or less in this barren spell)

c) From what I’ve seen of Southampton / Long (not a huge amount) I don’t recall him missing copious guilt edge chances 

I don’t disagree that his goal scoring record is poor, however, he provides so much more than just goals imo. That said I didn’t realise he was 32...

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No. Rather have Rhodes.

The island or Cecil? 

Not much love for Shane then... 😳 

Michael Starr - We definitely need another striker (unless the eternal promise that is Nelson Oliveira comes back into the fold...!) hence the thread - apologies if it is not generic enough for you  🤓

Edited by zema abbey football genius

I don't see a problem with making suggestions, after all, it's a discussion forum, but maybe we could consolidate ideas into a summer transfer thread to keep things more concise?

10 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I don't see a problem with making suggestions, after all, it's a discussion forum, but maybe we could consolidate ideas into a summer transfer thread to keep things more concise?

Good shout - a ‘New Striker’ thread would be preferable 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

Funnily enough Shane long just scored for Southampton. 

We probably won't be able to afford him now 🤪

44 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Funnily enough Shane long just scored for Southampton. 

According to soccer Saturday he also had miss of the season contender. Open goal, no pressure, hit the post

I think we have to realise that we won't get half the chances or possession we have had this season next year. We will no doubt be playing a lone striker who may well be feeding on scraps. It will be a tough job and we will have to be very careful who we choose. It could be that we need two more as well as Jordan.

From the teams coming down I'd rather stick with Rhodes and Pukki. The only player we'd likely be able to sign if Rhodes doesn't join permanently is Glenn Murray, who wouldn't be my first choice by any means but has done very well at Brighton