Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

43 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Quite a big story down here mate. The majority vote was Leave in Cornwall despite the County receiving the largest funding by the EU per capita in the UK. Lots of big blue signs around saying this or that project was through EU funding.

Now instead of £100M a year, its £130M over three years.

Behind the eighth tee at my golf course is ample evidence of Leave. Cabbages rotting away in the fields because there is no-one to pick them. And the smell is horrendous. Has no-one told the farmer? What is the ministry doing? (partying?)

Yet house building is the busiest its ever been with even jobbing builders working on sites. So people are moving into the area but the infrastructure will not cope because the Council will have less money for capital projects.

Farmers pay a decent wage and they will get all the workers they need. If you think workers should accept rural poverty then those cabbages are going to rot away. Where are the unions when you need them?

26 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Farmers pay a decent wage and they will get all the workers they need. If you think workers should accept rural poverty then those cabbages are going to rot away. Where are the unions when you need them?

You talk as much rot as the cabbages. Your mate  Thatcher disposed of the Unions because she got so many union members themselves to believe the lies she spun. Ricardo will know what the NGA was. At one stage, it was called the kamikaze of the union movement. Now it doesn't exist.

And if you think it was rural workers on these farms you are wrong. George Useless Eustice, Minister of the Environment now employs Ukrainians on his farms because the others cleared off back home.

If you paid a decent price for your cauliflowers instead of wanting them for 30p, the maybe the flow might be a bit fairer.

31 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You talk as much rot as the cabbages. Your mate  Thatcher disposed of the Unions because she got so many union members themselves to believe the lies she spun. Ricardo will know what the NGA was. At one stage, it was called the kamikaze of the union movement. Now it doesn't exist.

And if you think it was rural workers on these farms you are wrong. George Useless Eustice, Minister of the Environment now employs Ukrainians on his farms because the others cleared off back home.

If you paid a decent price for your cauliflowers instead of wanting them for 30p, the maybe the flow might be a bit fairer.

Well I agree with you that we have lived off the backs of cheap labour for far too long and 30p cauliflowers are an insult to the workers that picked them. But we have to resist the complaints of the farmers who want to keep this system of cheap labour going because it is totally unfair to our own workers. Rural poverty is a reality, often overlooked by louder voices of more populated areas of the country. 

9 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Well I agree with you that we have lived off the backs of cheap labour for far too long and 30p cauliflowers are an insult to the workers that picked them. But we have to resist the complaints of the farmers who want to keep this system of cheap labour going because it is totally unfair to our own workers. Rural poverty is a reality, often overlooked by louder voices of more populated areas of the country. 

The price isn't set by the farmers it's the retailers.

28 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Whilst I agree with much of that, the farmers are certainly not the guilty parties- the situation we have is the natural consequence of the unfettered and unbalanced market approach epoused by your Government who in this area, and almost every other come to that, know 'the price of everything and the value of nothing'

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Rural poverty is a reality, often overlooked by louder voices of more populated areas of the country. 

To be fair, most people in rural areas vote Conservative so are voting voting for their own poverty.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Herman said:

....the gift that keeps on giving....

Eurostar has blamed it on IT issues. As a resident of South West France, Brits are coming and going here without issue; calling a one-off disruption like this a 'consequence of Brexit' is simply nonsense, as we had passport control at gare du Nord before we left the EU as well and France has no interest in damaging its own tourism sector. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Ahh, the old IT issues. Like it.😉👍

Shoulda gone to Hemsby.

All the problems recently at Dover were because of IT issues. What changed that we now have more stringent customs and passport checks heading in and out of Europe??🤔😉

Honestly. I also live the other side of the tunnel and though things are slower post Brexit, this is not the case in this particular situation, it's an IT issue.

Sure Brexit was an idiotic political decision that has not brought any real tangible benefits and cost the UK money and influence, but blaming everything on it is stupid. Partially because there's so much that is categorically Brexit's fault.

• Like 2

Bollox to them. I'm blaming brexit on everything from now. There is no nuance. It's all black and white. Brexiters spent years playing silly ****s like that so I'm going to have a bit of fun.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Bollox to them. I'm blaming brexit on everything from now. There is no nuance. It's all black and white. Brexiters spent years playing silly ****s like that so I'm going to have a bit of fun.

Oh come on Herman, that is ridiculous. Its still all Gordon Brown's fault.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

I was against leaving the EU, Brexit represents a nuisance to me personally, but more widely I just can't get that worked up about it. especially when you stack it up against events like the invasion of Ukraine.  

What does actually really annoy me is that Macron, leader of a neighbouring country with huge links and common history, treats Putin, unelected dictator of Russia, with more respect than he does either the democratically elected leaders of the UK or Australia.

He actually even treated Trump with more respect. I'm just sorry that the only alternative to him in the French presidential election is Le Pen, which leaves me in the sorry position of hoping he wins while at the same time thinking he's an autocratic, authoritarian, and egotistical piece of cr4p*. 

*Although I liked the way he handled the pandemic. 

I look at the effects of Brexit on the country as a whole, rather than just how it effects me personally. I'm doing OK but it is an utter disaster for many of my fellow countrymen. It's more than just a nuisance. 

12 hours ago, Herman said:

I look at the effects of Brexit on the country as a whole, rather than just how it effects me personally. I'm doing OK but it is an utter disaster for many of my fellow countrymen. It's more than just a nuisance. 

Walking the dog this morning and chatting to others and one of them tells me he ordered two new couches in February and was told he will get them in June! And that is just manufacturing in this country. Brexit has affected so much on our own shores.

Wnakers like Farage, Fox, Francois as well as the current Tory Mafia know they lied and are quite happy that a good 40% of the population still believe those lies.

17 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I was against leaving the EU, Brexit represents a nuisance to me personally, but more widely I just can't get that worked up about it. especially when you stack it up against events like the invasion of Ukraine.  

What does actually really annoy me is that Macron, leader of a neighbouring country with huge links and common history, treats Putin, unelected dictator of Russia, with more respect than he does either the democratically elected leaders of the UK or Australia.

He actually even treated Trump with more respect. I'm just sorry that the only alternative to him in the French presidential election is Le Pen, which leaves me in the sorry position of hoping he wins while at the same time thinking he's an autocratic, authoritarian, and egotistical piece of cr4p*. 

*Although I liked the way he handled the pandemic. 

I think that's a bit unfair on Macron, although he certainly has his faults. Someone from the EU had to try to talk some sense into Putin even if it was a thankless task, and to do so you would have to show him some outward respect, whatever you thought of him privately.

And in facing down les gilets jaunes and more importantly the anti-vaxxers in France (who had been a significant force) he showed more political courage than the whole of Johnson's cabinet put together.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I think that's a bit unfair on Macron, although he certainly has his faults. Someone from the EU had to try to talk some sense into Putin even if it was a thankless task, and to do so you would have to show him some outward respect, whatever you thought of him privately.

And in facing down les gilets jaunes and more importantly the anti-vaxxers in France (who had been a significant force) he showed more political courage than the whole of Johnson's cabinet put together.

I definitely agree that Macron did very well regarding encouraging vaccination, but the gilets jaunes were totally Macron's creation in the appalling manner he declared a national reduction in speed limit from 90kph to 80kph with practically no consultation. He literally steamrollered it through, and rather than admit he screwed up, he fudged it by saying it was up to each department whether the speed limit is 80 or 90, and now you can be on exactly the same road and be caught out because you've crossed departments unawares. Equally, his bill outlawing photography of police officers was authoritarianism at its worst. 

And Macron's still refusing to call Putin's invasion of Ukraine what it is: Genocide. 

Sharon to Sam last night on Eastenders….

”We had Brexit, we had Covid and we don’t want you”.

Okay, the BBC were always remain, but did they need to remind us of Covid and that other thing AGAIN!?. Save it for the news broadcasts, don’t shoehorn it into the scripts of your shows!!. It’s not the first time either.

1 hour ago, KernowCanary said:

Sharon to Sam last night on Eastenders….

”We had Brexit, we had Covid and we don’t want you”.

Okay, the BBC were always remain, but did they need to remind us of Covid and that other thing AGAIN!?. Save it for the news broadcasts, don’t shoehorn it into the scripts of your shows!!. It’s not the first time either.

You watch Eastenders for the meaningful dialogue?

• Haha 4

I wonder what the Minister for Brexit Opportunities thinks about the poor people of Newark?

You can't blame Goodlife Foods they're just following DOT advice and bypassing Brexit issues by setting up in the EU.

https://www.cityam.com/110-jobs-lost-brexit-supporting-newark-in-shock-as-largest-employer-shuts-up-shop-and-heads-for-mainland-europe/

Local media and residents in the English town of Newark, as well as its local MP Robert Jenrick, are said to be shocked and disappointed by the decision of food producer Goodlife Foods to shut up shop and move its entire production to mainland Europe.

The decision is likely to result in around 110 job losses, according to local media. Goodlife Foods, which supplies products to supermarket giants like Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Ocado, is the town’s largest employer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

You watch Eastenders for the meaningful dialogue?

Nah, the other half watches it. It’s all bile to me.

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I wonder what the Minister for Brexit Opportunities thinks about the poor people of Newark?

You can't blame Goodlife Foods they're just following DOT advice and bypassing Brexit issues by setting up in the EU.

https://www.cityam.com/110-jobs-lost-brexit-supporting-newark-in-shock-as-largest-employer-shuts-up-shop-and-heads-for-mainland-europe/

Local media and residents in the English town of Newark, as well as its local MP Robert Jenrick, are said to be shocked and disappointed by the decision of food producer Goodlife Foods to shut up shop and move its entire production to mainland Europe.

The decision is likely to result in around 110 job losses, according to local media. Goodlife Foods, which supplies products to supermarket giants like Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Ocado, is the town’s largest employer.

I think they got what they voted for.

Just before the vote in 2016, here is what was promised

1. Trade with the EU will be tariff-free and involve minimal bureaucracy

2. Northern Ireland border 'absolutely unchanged'

3. End supremacy of EU law and the EU's Court of Justice

4. Take back control on immigration and asylum, and cut migration to the tens of thousands

5. Britain will take back control of its fisheries

6. £350M for the NHS instead of being sent to Brussels

7. New trade deals, and access to a European trading zone 'from Iceland to Russia'

8. Financial protection for farmers who get cash from Brussels

9. Continued participation in EU science research schemes, deeper cooperation on scientific collaboration, plus increased funding for science

10. Wages will be higher

11. The union will be stronger

12. Cut VAT on energy bills to save the average household £64 a year

Try and find someone who says these were not outright lies.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Just before the vote in 2016, here is what was promised

1. Trade with the EU will be tariff-free and involve minimal bureaucracy

2. Northern Ireland border 'absolutely unchanged'

3. End supremacy of EU law and the EU's Court of Justice

4. Take back control on immigration and asylum, and cut migration to the tens of thousands

5. Britain will take back control of its fisheries

6. £350M for the NHS instead of being sent to Brussels

7. New trade deals, and access to a European trading zone 'from Iceland to Russia'

8. Financial protection for farmers who get cash from Brussels

9. Continued participation in EU science research schemes, deeper cooperation on scientific collaboration, plus increased funding for science

10. Wages will be higher

11. The union will be stronger

12. Cut VAT on energy bills to save the average household £64 a year

Try and find someone who says these were not outright lies.

I think we are at the stage where none will talk about it or pretend they never voted for it. It's nearly as popular as saying you cheered for the Iraq war.

• Like 1