Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

1 minute ago, paul moy said:

I knew there would be some bright spark around......

Don't want you getting your wires crossed.

4 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I am well insulated against puns....

Although you frequently get your positive and negative mixed up.

2 minutes ago, dj11 said:

Although you frequently get your positive and negative mixed up.

I'm not bi-polar 😎

41 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I think Brits will be avoiding EU cars as much as possible due to the EU's attitude over the past few years.  We will be moving strongly towards electric anyway.  I am already electric BTW

Update for you, the lads at Swindon, Oxford, & Hams Hall have been given 6 weeks off for Christmas so the lines can change for Electric Mini  👍

BMW will have 25 electrified cars on the road by 2023

Edited by SwindonCanary
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Business is always a risk. Those fishing companies bought quotas in the knowledge that Brexit could mean the UK exercising their sovereignty in its waters around the British Isles. No one forced them to take the risk.

nope many fishermen sold out quotas long before 2016 and sovereignty does not mean that nobody can travel through international waters such as the English Channel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paul moy said:

Tariff agreement with USA within next 14 days or so.  We dropped tariffs on Boeing as we are now out of the EU and the USA will drop tariffs on Scotch Whisky.

Oh the benefits of Brexit are starting to shine through the EU clouds  ........

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1373531/Donald-trump-us-uk-trade-deal-Boris-Johnson-Joe-Biden-2021-whisky-tariffs

The SNP will be happy about that . Once Independent Scotland takes its wiski and gas/oil revenues away from Westminster and dispenses with the nuclear threats to its country, their happiness will be complete.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

nope many fishermen sold out quotas long before 2016 and sovereignty does not mean that nobody can travel through international waters such as the English Channel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52420116

Brexit trade deal: Who really owns UK fishing quotas?

The degree of confusion over foreign ownership of UK quota was highlighted by a ministerial response to a parliamentary question back in October.

Victoria Prentis, the Fisheries Minister, admitted the Marine Management Organisation, the body responsible for English waters, "does not hold data relating to the degree of foreign investment".

The sale of fishing rights mostly happened in the 1990's.

No agenda here (we have left after all) just an interesting article written from an historical, rather than economical, perspective.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/16/great-britain-never-never-will-european-country/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1316718&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Sub&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Sub20201217&utm_campaign=DM1316718

Agree with it or not, I am for one glad that we have jumped the Brussels gravy train and will not have to contribute to the consequences of  it's inevitable crash.

Edited by BroadstairsR

8 hours ago, paul moy said:

Tariff agreement with USA within next 14 days or so.  We dropped tariffs on Boeing as we are now out of the EU and the USA will drop tariffs on Scotch Whisky.

Oh the benefits of Brexit are starting to shine through the EU clouds  ........

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1373531/Donald-trump-us-uk-trade-deal-Boris-Johnson-Joe-Biden-2021-whisky-tariffs

Yep this is going to be a massive advantage to the UK if we get a deal that gives us tariff-free access to the EU. The member states are stuck with US tariffs but goods can be shipped tariff-free to the UK, processed in our factories and then exported to the EU. If we are importing from low-cost countries we just have no import tariff agreements with them so that we can undercut the EU. Our standards are already EU-compliant so there's no extra costs in tooling up to EU standards, so it's a win-win situation for the UK being able to trade around the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Yep this is going to be a massive advantage to the UK if we get a deal that gives us tariff-free access to the EU. The member states are stuck with US tariffs but goods can be shipped tariff-free to the UK, processed in our factories and then exported to the EU. If we are importing from low-cost countries we just have no import tariff agreements with them so that we can undercut the EU. Our standards are already EU-compliant so there's no extra costs in tooling up to EU standards, so it's a win-win situation for the UK being able to trade around the world.

and if Norwich can kick off an hour before Cardiff City get to Carrow Road we can score a few goals extra, then make sure we have more players on the pitch than them, and the ref is actually Delia in disguise..............................

poor hand crank

ps where's bagster ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, paul moy said:

They are a gain because we are free of the EU and will have some further beneficial tweaks, and we were told by remainers that we would not get them.  We said that we would and we are getting them in droves.

We will also be doing deals with India and the USA which the EU have failed to do for decades,  as we are basically a lot more for free trade than the protectionist EU is. 

Exactly, Paul. We were told by Remainers that all these other countries would put up special conditions in order to trade with them. PurpleCanary used to blather on about Indian will demand freedom of movement in order to do a deal. But as it turns out countries are very happy to rollover existing deals with the EU into deals with the UK. An there is nothing to stop us from going back in a couple of years to do improved deals with our trading partners. We said deals would be easy - and they are.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

The SNP will be happy about that . Once Independent Scotland takes its wiski and gas/oil revenues away from Westminster and dispenses with the nuclear threats to its country, their happiness will be complete.

Will an independent Scotland join the EU? Didn’t they have around 67% pro EU? That would be fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

What revenues do you think the SNP get from whisky sales? Once tariffs are gone any taxation on whisky is paid by the consumer to the consumer's home country. Nothing will go to the Scottish government. Any corporation tax paid by the whisky companies and licence fees paid by the gas/oil companies will not cover the Scottish government's spending plans. That means Scotland will either have to borrow money or raise taxes to meet their spending commitments. And shutting down the Trident nuclear bases which will then be moved to England will mean the loss of hundreds of skilled jobs in an impoverished Scotland. Not a sensible move, old chum.

38 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

What will happen if the EU changes its standards?

54 minutes ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

I don't know of anybody challenging the right of anyone else to travel through international waters - and I hope the French respect our right to do that and not illegally block our ferries - but getting back to fishing, it isn't an issue of when fishermen bought quotas. The issue is that the quotas are no longer under EU jurisdiction. And when the quotas are under UK jurisdiction, the UK can do what they want with the quotas. Businesses take the risk on factors that are known and factors that are unknown. Its all part of the game.

25 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

This isn't debate, BigFish. This guy horsely has been abusive and disruptive since his sudden appearance a few months ago. It's about time he was ejected.

time you brought back Bagster, or at least post as hand crank as you used to

you use Barbe Bleu so why not some of the others

after all Swindo is fooled by them 😄

11 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

What will happen if the EU changes its standards?

That's currently under debate in the negotiations. I honestly can't say how the negotiations will end up. If the EU drop their insistence on regulating changes and allow arbitration then we might get a deal. Or we might not.

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Whether you have a debate or not is really up to you,  i am largely leaving this alone and looking elsewhere for answers,  so it doesn't really concern me anymore.

The anger on here this morning was palpable though. I could almost see the arteries bulging in bedrooms across Norfolk (and not for any good reason!).

Maybe bring it up with the two that are deliberately going out of their way to annoy people.

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

This is how we used to travel before joining the EU. Except then, we had to show passports in each country of travel. I expect it will be only first point of entry from now on.

I have a question for Remainiacs --- When do you plan on becoming expats? ✈️🚢🙃

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

That's currently under debate in the negotiations. I honestly can't say how the negotiations will end up. If the EU drop their insistence on regulating changes and allow arbitration then we might get a deal. Or we might not.

oh dear

drop their insistence on what is a founding principle of the Common Market and has been much of what makes it work ever since

the UK either agrees to the rules or it can venture off to it's supposed sunny uplands and accept the restrictions of being a third country

34 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I can't say how the negotiations will end up either 

But I will be surprised if the EU allows the UK to export products that are subject to different regulations to their own, tariff free

We should find out soon, I believe the deadline is Sunday 🤗

1 hour ago, Jools said:

I have a question for Remainiacs --- When do you plan on becoming expats? ✈️🚢🙃

2 days before the deadline of 29th March 2019

😃👍🇮🇸🇮🇸🇮🇸

EDIT - apologies, I'm an immigrant, not an expat 

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

What revenues do you think the SNP get from whisky sales? Once tariffs are gone any taxation on whisky is paid by the consumer to the consumer's home country. Nothing will go to the Scottish government. Any corporation tax paid by the whisky companies and licence fees paid by the gas/oil companies will not cover the Scottish government's spending plans. That means Scotland will either have to borrow money or raise taxes to meet their spending commitments. And shutting down the Trident nuclear bases which will then be moved to England will mean the loss of hundreds of skilled jobs in an impoverished Scotland. Not a sensible move, old chum.

... and don't mention the border that will be needed to keep the starving scots out.

6 minutes ago, paul moy said:

... and don't mention the border that will be needed to keep the starving scots out.

Let them eat Haggis😃