Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Theresa May: "No deal is better than a bad deal"

May's fateful refrain looked foolish when first spoken at the beginning of 2017, given how entwined our trade is with the EU, accounting for 43 per cent of UK exports in goods and services and more than half (54 per cent) of imports.

Now, after the phrase has been quietly dropped, the words look near-delusional after former Brexit secretary Dominic Raab revealed no-deal precautions that could have been snatched from a student cookbook: stockpiling processed foods.

Raab could only promise to ensure "an adequate food supply" if we still haven't worked out a way to maintain the free flow of goods, a pressing issue given the UK only produces half of what it eats.

2. Paul Nuttal: "It will be so easy to negotiate a trade deal, and of course, it's in the European Union's interest, just as it is in ours"

Former UKIP leader Paul Nutall told BBC Radio 4 programme in January 2017 that negotiations will be easy. Of course, this was before Article 50 was triggered before we knew negotiations were doomed to a snail-like pace.

3. Gerard Batten "A trade deal with the EU could be sorted out in an afternoon over a cup of coffee"

If anyone out there is on the lookout for the most hyperbolic prediction of all time, there are worse places to start than another former UKIP leader Gerard Batten's, who have the aforementioned comments on trade relations with the EU in February 2017.

Rather than getting sorted during a chit-chat over coffee, negotiations were moving so slowly that EU President Donald Tusk warned that they almost collapsed in 2017.

4. Douglas Carswell: "I think free trade would be relatively straightforward between the UK and America"

Brexiteer and former UKIP MP Douglas Carswell, said at the Institute for Government in April 2017 that setting up trade deals with the US would be seamless:

I think free trade would be relatively straightforward between the United Kingdom and America. 

If it’s legal to buy and sell a product in California, it should be legal to buy and sell it in Clacton.

Of course there’ll be some caveats.

5. David Davis: "You can be sure there will be a deal"

David Davis told the BBC in June 2017 he is "pretty sure", but not "certain", that he would be able to negotiate a free trade deal with the EU:

You can be sure there will be a deal, whether it's the deal I want which is the free trade agreement, the customs agreement and so on - I'm pretty sure but I'm not certain.

Nearly two years later, he's resigned from his position and there is still no deal or an extension in place. Good omens for everyone.

6. Boris Johnson: "There is no plan for no deal because we are going to get a great deal"

Johnson there, with his characteristic confidence in July 2017.

This is despite Davis telling Andrew Marr that “we have been planning for the contingencies, all the various outcomes, all the possible outcomes of the negotiation", including no deal.

7. Liam Fox: "The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history"

The biggest whopper of them all is from international trade secretary Liam Fox.

The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.

We are already beginning with zero tariffs, and we are already beginning at the point of maximal regulatory equivalence, as it is called.

In other words, our rules and our laws are exactly the same.

8. Nigel Farage: "I'm reaching the point of thinking that we should have a second referendum"

Nigel Farage, arguably the architect of all things Brexit, has firmly stood by his belief that that the UK is better off outside the EU.

Yet back in January 2018, he was growing exasperated about the Brexit debate and claimed on live television that there should be a second referendum to settle the issue once and for all.

9. Nigel Farage: "I never promised it would be a huge success"

Just in case you haven't had enough of Farage here is another zinger from his back catalogue of absolute clangers that have come back to haunt him.

This was said on LBC radio in May 2018 and it really does beggar belief. What sort of success did he promise? A small one?

10. Dominic Raab: "I hadn't quite understood the full extent of this but... we are particularly reliant on the Dover-Calais crossing"

Ahh...Dominic Raab. How could we forget you? Maybe one of the most chaotic and underwhelming spells of any minister during this whole debacle.

Perhaps the point where we realised that he wasn't quite cut out for this job was when in November 2018 he admitted that he didn't realise how important the actual crossing between Dover and Calais was for trade deals.

Did he not realise that the country he is from is an island?

11. Jacob Rees-Mogg: "The UK will be a better destination for investors once we have left the EU "

There are literally hundreds of quotes from Jacob Rees-Mogg that we could include in here but his constant claims about the UK's prosperity after Brexit is a real sticking point.

In February 2019 he twice claimed that the UK and London will be flooded with investors looking to plunge their money into this newly rejuvenated post-Brexit economy.

The problem here is that Rees-Mogg, himself isn't investing in the UK, and has his own investment firm, Somerset Capital Management, which has a set up in Dublin, where it can benefit the EU laws and regulations.

12. Matt Hancock said that proroguing parliament is against "everything that those men who waded onto those beaches fought and died for"

During his leadership campaign, the current health secretary Matt Hancock outright refused to support the proroguing of parliament, which did happen but was deemed unlawful.

Not only did he do that but he also made reference to World War 2 and the Normandy landings which is possibly a little tasteless.

Hancock who did vote to remain is currently a member of Johnson's cabinet and is yet to say anything about the potential suspending of parliament, so this is all very awkward.

13. Michael Gove said that 'we'd hold all the cards' after leaving the European Union

This one actually goes back to before the referendum and is from April, when Michael Gove and the Vote Leave campaign was trying to whip up support for Brexit. At the time he said:

The day after we vote to leave we hold all the card and we can choose the path we want. It's also important to realise that while we calmly take our time to change the law, the one thing that will not change is our ability to trade freely with Europe. The In campaign often argues is that we would find it impossible to reach a trading agreement with the EU nations after we vote leave. There are, of course, some questions up for negotiation which will occupy out highly skilled foreign office civil servants, resolving them full and properly won't be any more complicated or onerous than the day-to-day work that they undertake now.

Given everything that has happened since Gove said this and all the evidence pointing towards 'the UK not holding the cards' the Tory minister was asked by Andrew Marr on Sunday if he regretted saying that. Predictably, Gove did not.

2 hours ago, paul moy said:

They have no answer to my logical reasoning so either abuse or go quiet.....  😎

Have you had any more thoughts on how well "goods can be shipped tariff-free to the UK, processed in our factories and then exported to the EU" will go if the EU amends its standards and the UK doesn't follow?

It seems to be all about fish.  The UK wants to deny the EU access to British waters but still retain the same access to EU markets for British fish.

It's a case of "Hake and eat it" . . .

5 hours ago, paul moy said:

We are now free to run our country as we like and owe nothing to those that have quotas as they have exploited our fish stocks to their maximum under the corrupt CFP. They are screaming because fishing means more to their economies than they will admit, especially the French. I am quite happy that we compensate any that we deem to have sold unfairly  but really I don't think we owe them anything as they have already made their massive profits to our industrial and financial detriment over many years.

The compromise is that we give up our rights to EU waters and that is really no loss as they are overfished and will be in the future as the parasites fight amongst themselves.  It will be a source of great entertainment to see the EU at eachother's throats as they fight over what remains and as we watch the inevitable exit of Eire develop.  The pips are squeaking now that they have to cover our over-generous contributions with their own, after decades of sponging off of us.  There is a rather pungent waft of karma after the way they and other countries of the EU have disrespected and ridiculed us in our attempts to free ourselves from EU control.

**** me, the little Islander **** is just so TIRING.

The "We are free to run our country as we want" **** just screams out "LOOK AT ME I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOW THE WORLD WORKS". 

I'll spell it out very slowly for you. In the 21st century, economic success is an important basis on which so much else is built. If you have a strong economy, you can invest in infrastructure. Support your population. Look after your sick and old. Affect the world around you. It is not the only important factor, but it is a crucial one. 

Economic success involves participation in the global economy. Brexit will only succeed in limiting, creating expense to access or creating complication to participate in the global economy.

Fishing is actually a great example. The fish we catch are mostly sold overseas. We import the majority of the fish we eat. 

"Governing yourself" (put in quotation marks because I'm yet to see a single example of the EU preventing us governing ourselves in a way we wanted) means our fishermen are going to be catching fish we will then be sending overseas, affected by tariffs previously avoided by being a member of the EU. We will then have to pay more for the fish we actually want. It's a ****ing nonsense.

And that's what brexit boils down to, isn't it? It's the victory of nonsense rhetoric ("take back control", "run our country again", "fish our waters" etc etc) over logic and reason. The creation of barriers and borders in a world where - let's be ****ing honest with ourselves - we are still driven by humanities petty obsession in why one type of person is better than another or deserves something over another. 

The alternative is that we genuinely participate in breaking down these sorts of barriers and take our place as a world and a species, but until some of you absolute raging dinosaurs like the person peddling this joke of a post I've quoted realise that, we are always going to be stuck as insignificant Islanders ready to let the world go by for some frightening notion of us and them.

But hey at least we'll have our waters filled with fish we don't eat and blue passports. 

🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

But hey at least we'll have our waters filled with fish we don't eat and blue passports. 

🙄

probably best to block, as with Swindolene

there are only so many lies you can wade through in a day - and their guff merely serves to push more worthy posts further down the thread

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

probably best to block, as with Swindolene

there are only so many lies you can wade through in a day - and their guff merely serves to push more worthy posts further down the thread

Seconded.

Wish I had done so much earlier.

Happy for the Brexiters to find solace with each other as this thing really unravels.

13 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

**** me, the little Islander **** is just so TIRING.

The "We are free to run our country as we want" **** just screams out "LOOK AT ME I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOW THE WORLD WORKS". 

I'll spell it out very slowly for you. In the 21st century, economic success is an important basis on which so much else is built. If you have a strong economy, you can invest in infrastructure. Support your population. Look after your sick and old. Affect the world around you. It is not the only important factor, but it is a crucial one. 

Economic success involves participation in the global economy. Brexit will only succeed in limiting, creating expense to access or creating complication to participate in the global economy.

Fishing is actually a great example. The fish we catch are mostly sold overseas. We import the majority of the fish we eat. 

"Governing yourself" (put in quotation marks because I'm yet to see a single example of the EU preventing us governing ourselves in a way we wanted) means our fishermen are going to be catching fish we will then be sending overseas, affected by tariffs previously avoided by being a member of the EU. We will then have to pay more for the fish we actually want. It's a ****ing nonsense.

And that's what brexit boils down to, isn't it? It's the victory of nonsense rhetoric ("take back control", "run our country again", "fish our waters" etc etc) over logic and reason. The creation of barriers and borders in a world where - let's be ****ing honest with ourselves - we are still driven by humanities petty obsession in why one type of person is better than another or deserves something over another. 

The alternative is that we genuinely participate in breaking down these sorts of barriers and take our place as a world and a species, but until some of you absolute raging dinosaurs like the person peddling this joke of a post I've quoted realise that, we are always going to be stuck as insignificant Islanders ready to let the world go by for some frightening notion of us and them.

🙄

LOL.......  At least somebody has replied but again with abuse because their arguments are flawed and they lost the vote. 

We are bringing down the trade barriers and opening ourselves up to world trade.  We are saving ourselves billions a year by avoiding fees, fines, tariff and vat contributions to the EU and can start to grow our industries again.

The EU is protectionist and losing  percentage of world trade while others increase theirs. 

Many other countries will decide to leave the EU in due course as it is a dysfunctional ponzi system.

The EU is due for EUthanasia as it is old and decrepit  ........... and we Brexiteers are proud to be the catalyst.   😎

• Like 1

Spare another thought for the poor lorry drivers. It seems that they often take a stash of food with them for their journeys on the continent for personal consumption 

However, it seems meat and dairy products will be banned. No ham or cheese sarnies will be allowed 

Maybe there should be a campaign to encourage them to go vegan 🤗

30 minutes ago, paul moy said:

The EU is protectionist and losing  percentage of world trade while others increase theirs. 

Many other countries will decide to leave the EU in due course as it is a dysfunctional ponzi system.

The EU is due for EUthanasia as it is old and decrepit  ........... and we Brexiteers are proud to be the catalyst.

No institution or organisation is perfect though is it? The worst experience institutionalisation and don't grow or learn. I guess you've never worked in or with the EU. 

Collaboration, cooperation, solidarity are the key words....in science, in international social policy, in international security etc.

Paul, to then state the EU is old and decrepit whilst we go back to being little England is ironic isn't it? It's not a progressive move. The UK was once a world leader indeed...in trade, in scientific endeavour. So much history. Yet that was in a time of colonialism, of expansion (new territory, exploration etc). The UK will be diminished not being part of a bigger whole. No reason why the UK cannot have it's own identity too. You criticise the EU for being protectionist yet you want the UK to do the same! That undermines your point.

Cooperation is what is required for any solution in the world ahead. It's required in our personal relationships, in our families let alone at the level of state. Not to understand that really puts you in a narrow world.

Just my view and I'm not being abusive. I don't expect you to agree. But...you might think about it over the next few years. Depends how open minded you wish to be. Lots of folk as they grow older become more fixed of course. But it's not a rule or a given. 

Edited by sonyc

On 29/09/2020 at 18:58, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Here's a deal

EU does not insist on level playing field, but does not commit to free trade with any industry that receives subsidies not consistent with its own. UK claims victory

UK gives EU some fish. EU claims victory 

Disputes settled by Rock Paper  Scissors, best of 5

🤗

The daily Express says that this is a Brilliant solution

It isn't. It is just the bleedin' obvious 

23 minutes ago, paul moy said:

LOL.......  At least somebody has replied but again with abuse because their arguments are flawed and they lost the vote. 

We are bringing down the trade barriers and opening ourselves up to world trade.  We are saving ourselves billions a year by avoiding fees, fines, tariff and vat contributions to the EU and can start to grow our industries again.

The EU is due for EUthanasia as it is old and decrepit  ........... and we Brexiteers are proud to be the catalyst.   😎

There isn't a single element of fact in this post whatsoever. Like I said, you are part of the problem. Antiquated, old fashioned thinking based on lies spun by a minority  making decisions that will be to the detriment of generations to come.

https://amp.ft.com/content/f5cf57f5-0d62-4158-b67b-46b2df5c04bd?__twitter_impression=true

I thought this was a good summary.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

@ Terminal Yellow

Jools/may moy is merely some saddo who gets his thrills from provoking responses on here 

some of the guff is so absurd that I am surprised that so many can't see through it

stop wasting your time, you are being had

to put it bluntly

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

@ Terminal Yellow

Jools/may moy is merely some saddo who gets his thrills from provoking responses on here 

some of the guff is so absurd that I am surprised that so many can't see through it

stop wasting your time, you are being had

to put it bluntly

Moy thinks its all about winning. Refusing to accept we, meaning us except Farage and Rees Mogg, are all going to lose.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Only hours from the deal being signed.

The rest is theatre.

It was signed ages ago. They're just trying to find a way to tell the headbangers. 😀

40 minutes ago, sonyc said:

No institution or organisation is perfect though is it? The worst experience institutionalisation and don't grow or learn. I guess you've never worked in or with the EU. 

Collaboration, cooperation, solidarity are the key words....in science, in international social policy, in international security etc.

Paul, to then state the EU is old and decrepit whilst we go back to being little England is ironic isn't it? It's not a progressive move. The UK was once a world leader indeed...in trade, in scientific endeavour. So much history. Yet that was in a time of colonialism, of expansion (new territory, exploration etc). The UK will be diminished not being part of a bigger whole. No reason why the UK cannot have it's own identity too. You criticise the EU for being protectionist yet you want the UK to do the same! That undermines your point.

Cooperation is what is required for any solution in the world ahead. It's required in our personal relationships, in our families let alone at the level of state. Not to understand that really puts you in a narrow world.

Just my view and I'm not being abusive. I don't expect you to agree. But...you might think about it over the next few years. Depends how open minded you wish to be. Lots of folk as they grow older become more fixed of course. But it's not a rule or a given. 

We can still collaborate and cooperate outside and it will not cost billions in membership so that is a fallacy.  The EU though have proved untrustworthy hypocritical parasites and we will not forget.  Time for the EU to shut down as it is a failing institution, soon to fall into unsustainable debt. We exited just in time.   

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Moy thinks its all about winning. Refusing to accept we, meaning us except Farage and Rees Mogg, are all going to lose.

We are the losers in the EU and have been for decades. It's time to redress the balance. 

42 minutes ago, Herman said:

Fortunately, it looks like I have at least 2 years work ahead of me in Iceland

However, most of my business contacts in the UK are in Kent....if I come back hopefully all the shít will have worked itself out by then

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

We can still collaborate and cooperate outside and it will not cost billions in membership so that is a fallacy.  The EU though have proved untrustworthy hypocritical parasites and we will not forget.  Time for the EU to shut down as it is a failing institution, soon to fall into unsustainable debt. We exited just in time.   

What areas do you think we can collaborate and cooperate to our advantage, without making concessions?

Like I said Paul and Jools etc are what Stalin called "useful idiots" - every populist movement has them. 

In Animal Farm it was the animals chanting "four legs good, two legs bad" that gave cover for the pigs to cut their own secret deal and in the end "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which"

The UK is not making any concession, or being asked to

It wanted to be out of the EU, and just like any EU driver entering the UK they are required to abide by UK driving laws. No sane person would expect EU drivers to be able to drive on the right on certain days, or roads.

How the EU traded with a non EU country was well known before the referendum, and applies and is accepted by all other non EU countries. It is only that pro brexiteers lied to the thickos, telling them that state of affairs would not apply to the UK, is why we have the mess we do.

The UK rattling its begging bowl while stood out in the cold.

The UK should accept the rules and regulations that it voted for when in the EU, stop whing and stop trying to renege on a treaty it previously signed.

This pathetic bleating and refusing to accept the consequences of the very shtstorm they set in motion is a global embarrassment

11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Like I said Paul and Jools etc are what Stalin called "useful idiots" - every populist movement has them. 

In Animal Farm it was the animals chanting "four legs good, two legs bad" that gave cover for the pigs to cut their own secret deal and in the end "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which"

Paul and Jools ?

Jesus and Christ, I suppose