ricardo

Ricardo's report v Hull

There was a good old blow on in Norfolk this morning but when I looked out of the window at tea time it appeared to have improved somewhat and by kick off it didn't seem to bad at all. I hardly need to report on the team line up, for without injuries we know  by now that there will be no changes.

City looked well in command from the first whistle and there was none of the extended periods of opposition possession that marked the Swansea game. City were stroking the ball about confidently but the first effort on goal came at the other end when a Hull free kick flicked off the edge of Krul left hand angle. City however were soon on the front foot again and when Hull failed to get the ball away Stieperman, picked up the ball on the City left and worked his way past a couple of defenders into the box. He avoided another couple of tackles before opening up his body  and powering the ball past Marshall for a superb opener on ten minutes.

It got the crowd rocking and even my initial nervousness evaporated as the home side began to turn on the style. In the forteeenth minute  Hernandez turned his full back inside out and although the cross was blocked away with more than a suspicion of hand ball, the pressure was just too intense and Emi Buendia was on hand to guide the ball past Marshall to put City in dreamland before the quarter hour.

Hull seemed shell shocked and for a while flowing City attacks had the visitors defence at full stretch. A succession of corners threatened a third goal and Stiepermann again burst through only to hit his rising shot a yard over the bar. Minutes later only a superb stop from the Hull custodian prevented Buendia getting on the score sheet again. The little Argentine's shot was bound for the top corner only for the agile Hull keeper to dive to his right and turn it aside for yet another corner.

Things weren't running for Pukk,i but he had a glorious chance on the half hour when he latched onto a pass on the edge of the six yard box only to not get a proper connection and see his half hit effort roll across the face of goal with nobody near enough to apply a touch. It was all going so well and I doubt if I was alone in thinking this could be the night we give someone a real tonking. I expect those in Yorkshire, watching on the red boutton, must have had very long faces as we moved into the final few minutes of the half.

All that was required was to see time out and get back to work after the break but yet again we became the architects of our own downfall. I couldn't see Hull scoring without our help but that is just what happened. Godfrey chose to play it back to Tim Krul who might easily have smashed it away upfield but dallied a split second too long and instead tried to stab it up the middle to Trybul who for once wasn't there. Hull intercepted and when the ball was played forward it was Pugh who turned the ball into the corner of the net from eighteen yards.

It was so disappointing but in the light of far too many home games this season it has become pretty much par for the course. A game that was looking out of sight for the visitors was now very much back in play and it left a sour taste in the mouth as ref Madley whistled to end the half.

To their credit City pushed Hull back from the start of the second period and Hernandez might have got himself a goal had he not dallied and wanted a touch too many. Hull's attacks were rare but you could feel the tension from the crowd every time there was the merest hint of danger. Thankfully Krul fielded a couple of crosses and Zimmermann and Godfrey generally looked fairly comfortable. It badly needed a third goal to get the home side back on track and it looked like Pukki might supply it when set free by Buendia's spectacular flying back heel. It appeared that the chance had gone when he stumbled but he recovered enough to lay it back to Buendia who beat Marshall with a low angled shot through the keepers legs.

Once again all was right with the world as City created several more openings but were guilty of trying to score the perfect goal when putting a foot through the ball first time might well have brought a better result. With a quarter of an hour left it seemed the ideal time to give the likes of Vrancic and Leitner a bit of a run and see it out the game and I have got to say that I don't think I'm the only one left wondering why that didn't happen. Hull brought on fresh legs and started to have much more of the ball as we moved into the final ten minutes. When Chris Martin came on you could almost guarantee he would score and he duly did with a typical Chris Martin header from a cross from the left.

Leitner and Vrancic did eventually appear but far too late for any meaningful contribution. The four minutes of added time were seen out without many alarms and although the three points are all that matter, I have to admit that I left the ground shaking my head in disbelief. On any other day this should have been four or five nil but somehow we contrived to make extremely hard work of it. The concession of far too many goals at home has been a problem all season. Yes there is lovely football on display and lots of goals but some of the tension I can well do without.

Buendia my MOM.

Edited by ricardo
spell
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Ricardo

Some of our football was sublime tonight, walking away it was strange to feel that we might even have dropped two points in a game where we outclassed the oppostion for long periods, but the Norwich way seems to lend itself to these cockup's and its a shame that we put ourselves under pressure. Hull looked totally dejected, it was like a training ground game until they were gifted the goal.

Quick shout out for Jamal who has gone from strength to strength over the last couple of games, just needs to be a bit carefull not to overstretch himself.

Edited by Van wink

On 18/01/2019 at 22:48, Canary Wundaboy said:

Just watched the highlights, someone's getting a stamping ban! 

Tell us more ? Hope it wasn’t a Norwich player ?

I'm still seeing quite a few chinks in our armour.

I think Premier teams would have easily got a few more goals past us. Faffing about in our own third in front of goal is dangerous; lose possession and they end up 1-on-1 with your keeper.

2 minutes ago, K Lo said:

I think Premier teams would have easily got a few more goals past us. 

Let's worry about that when we're in the Prem.

6 minutes ago, K Lo said:

I think Premier teams would have easily got a few more goals past us. Faffing about in our own third in front of goal is dangerous; lose possession and they end up 1-on-1 with your keeper.

It’s the way Farkes teams play, it’s not going to change. It’s also the reason we’ve scored some beautiful goals this season. Embrace and enjoy or come back once we change manager (at least 3 years time hopefully).

Also it’s not faffing. It’s dominating possession, dictating play, making the opposition chase. It’s worked pretty well so far this season

• Thanks 1

On the basis that the 'end justifies the means' my comments are invalid but, as the game progressed and City with a two goal lead I did think that DF should have made changes earlier.

A camera close-up of Stiepermann revealed the player to be knackered long before he was eventually taken off.

Buendia received a knock on the knee in the first half which caused him to limp for a while. He played through it, but may have needed treatment at half-time.I, personally, feel that he should also have been subbed at some earlier point in the second half.

Pukki continues to run himself into the ground and it showed in small ways. He should have been subbed for Rhodes at some stage. He won't even have the benefit of an international break with much travelling and game time in store.

I am  thinking of Saturday's game in all this.

It's great having an unchanged team for, what six games now, but also more or less unheard of in this day and age. These players have had a punishing run of games in the last few weeks and it will eventually show. It's not as if we are devoid of a more than decent bench. DF is over-working the current starting eleven surely?

For sure, results and  and the mantra that 'you never change a winning side winning side' holds weight but as I said it may catch up with us from an unexpected source.Tired players apparently get injured more easily as well.

Take the team to Millmoor (?) Daniel, but with an intention for players who are refreshed and clearly raring to go being more readily involved.

The three I have mentioned should, of course start, but should we be fortunate enough to again get a decent lead then think about replacements.

The opposite of this view is that there is just one more hurdle to jump before the break, so it's a difficult one for sure, but last night I felt that DF missed a trick by not keeping one eye on this hurdle which will need to be tackled as early as Saturday.

I would be interested in the views of those actually in attendance as the small screen only gives a partial picture  of proceedings in this respect. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Good report as always Ric

Agree with what you're saying Broadstairs, but also from watching the TV.  Rotherham will be really up for it on Saturday, they won last night and will know that City do concede goals from set pieces/crosses.  I am hoping DF will look at them carefully to decide the makeup of central midfield which to me is the key area.

Farke is a great coach but his approach to substitutions is not one of the things about his coaching that are top of my list of likes. I feel we tend to flog our players into the ground too often and he simply won;t change it if we are winning even when it appears obvious that a change may be needed. i feel the midfield last night was an obvious example of this although to be honest i also think he should have started one of Leitner or Vrancic anyway. 

Individual brilliance and the ability of our full backs and front four are at the moment masking some flaws with the midfield and Krul continuing to be a bit of a liability. It may not matter because we don;t play many teams who are better than Hull or Swansea and we've shown we have enough to beat these sides even without being 100% convincing but i would really love to see us put Leitner or Vrancic back in the team, play our "best side" and get back to controlling games a little better.

• Like 1

Blimey Ricardo, your usual enjoyable report was halfway down the list today. I thought you must have had a few shandies afterwards and slept in.

Unlike yourself, I love the tension. I find more satisfaction from last night than if we had won seven nil in a spiritual sense. One of my favourite games was when we beat Palace to stay up in 73. 

Mind you the finger nails are non existent this morning.

49 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Blimey Ricardo, your usual enjoyable report was halfway down the list today. I thought you must have had a few shandies afterwards and slept in.

Unlike yourself, I love the tension. I find more satisfaction from last night than if we had won seven nil in a spiritual sense. One of my favourite games was when we beat Palace to stay up in 73. 

Mind you the finger nails are non existent this morning.

Not good for the old ticker KG.

I was looking forward to a relaxing halftime and building up the goal difference second half. Conceding in the final minute through silly play is a really bad habit.

Well Ricardo, you weren't the only one shaking his head while leaving!!! I just don't get it...could've been 4-0 at HT!

changes should have been made earlier and that's one thing of Farke's management I don't get... 

Oh well, another 3 points in the bag , no doubt about MoM, Buendia was sublime

4 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

A special mention for Chris martin for not celebrating his goal - I know it is expected, but it is happening less and less, and he really showed no joy.

I agree and fair play to him. He got a decent round of applause when he came on so he is still remembered in these parts for the contribution he made while he was here..

It wasn't as though his goal was only a consolation at the time. I did read that it was only his 2nd goal in 26 appearances so it looks as though time has caught up with him but he wasan exciting player for much of his time with us.

10 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

A special mention for Chris martin for not celebrating his goal - I know it is expected, but it is happening less and less, and he really showed no joy.

Some sweet times, and some sour ones with us, so yes, well done to him. Mind you, i doubt if he's been handed many easier goals than last night's. A beautifully flighted cross from a quality player (why on earth didn't Grosicki start?) and a free header untroubled by defenders, who might just as well have not been there. Poor.