Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Who's Third Place

I think most neutrals would see the current table 1-2-3 as reflecting the relative quality of the top 3 teams but would say the margin is narrow.  Being 4 points ahead of 3rd place with 10 games to go, we are in the driving seat.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, I am sure both Leeds and Sheff U would swap theirs for ours in an instant, there's no way I'd prefer to have either of their sets of fixtures, nor would I prefer to be in their position rather than ours !

But it's so tight that any slip up could change it very quickly.  The really good thing for us is that Leeds and Sheff U play each other, so one of them must drop points.

If offered this position at the start of the season, I'd have bitten your hand off, so it's really a case of buckle up & enjoy the ride from here on !

On 10/03/2019 at 21:43, splendidrush said:

At least we wouldn't have the pleasure of Rob Whites and his 'Observant' friend bigging themselves up on here. They were nowhere to be seen after QPR but back on after West Brom.

Observant seems ok to me, given that he’s a Leeds supporter. 

14 hours ago, Van wink said:

Interesting evening on the red button tonight

13 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

Is that a quote you don’t want to see on President Trump’s twitter?

Or Theresa May (different sort of red button though).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Or Theresa May (different sort of red button though).

Maybe she'd had a bit of time on the red button before that rather disjointed dancing a while back.👇

• Sad 1

Pressure back on us today, but IF we can win pressure us back on Leeds n sheff utd on Saturday knowing we have a very winnable game. These next 2 games could be pivotal.

Crickey its incessant isn;t it. Top 3 just not letting up at present. Blades got lucky in my book last night, that was one of their trickier games and Brentford had 26 shots but just couldn't put it in the net - Shef got out of jail there.

Really important we don't slip up tonight and then Saturday looks pretty pivotal as a win at Rotherham could see us with a 7 point gap to third if Leeds beat Shef U.

Really need to be "at it" from the kick off tonight and not have one of our sloppy first halves.

16 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

How is it good for us if Leeds win at Reading ?

I was primarily hoping these results would put more space between both of us and Sheff U.  Of course, Leeds losing as well would have been the ultimate set of results.  Irrelevant now, but wins for us tonight and Saturday and a Leeds win on Saturday is still positive for us.

Given our defensive frailties and and a disposition for gifting opposition goals, if anyone is going to falter then my money is on us.

48 minutes ago, Ginja said:

Given our defensive frailties and and a disposition for gifting opposition goals, if anyone is going to falter then my money is on us.

Yeah, I mean we've lost so many more games that Leeds and Sheff U this season...

Really cant say who will finish 3rd right now, but the absolute certainty now is that our "run in" is every bit as hard as Leeds and Sheffield's. Boro, Stoke and Villa away...a much improved Sheff. Wednesday at home..thats at least 4 of our last 10 games that will be very hard to win, not allowing for banana skins in 1 or 2 other games. Credit to the other two sides, both have been every bit as consistent as us. The downside for 1 of the 3 teams is that they will likely have a massive gap over 4th, 5th, 6th come the play offs, so getting beat in the play offs would be hard to take. Could be a scenario where one of the 3 get 85+ points yet miss out on promotion...that's gonna hurt.

1 hour ago, Ginja said:

That’s the spirit.

Its not like we’re the leagues top scorers, have lost the least amount of games (which considering our start is incredible), have the leagues top scorer, never ever give up (even in stoppage time 3-0 down) and consistently find a way to win.

Time to believe 

The problem for me is that with so many teams in touching distance of the playoffs, no opposition is going to rollover. They all have the big prize to play for and every game is going to be tough right to the end of the season. This may give Sheff U the edge as I think they may be the lesser footballing side of the top three but they are really well organised as they prove last night against Brentford.

One thing though, the Championship beats the Premiership hands down for excitement.

Too close to call. If we win our next 2 games then I'll feel very confident, if we don't then  it's all up for grabs. It's a bit like a no deal brexit, not many want it but it is the default position. Really wouldn't fancy us in the play-offs. As I mentioned in an earlier post we don't want the situation where a draw between Leeds and Sheff Utd is good for both teams. First to blink is out of it.

I agree. The two games this week will go a long way to setting how this will play out. If we win both then i really think we will be in an incredible strong position and will whatever happens have a gap to third place which allows us to slip up at least once, possibly twice. If we slip up tonight, however, then i fear that the momentum may be with the other two after their results since we last played.

Shef U have the hardest fixtures in my view with the number of games they have against playoff contenders.

Form counts for nothing in these remaining games, we were a whisker away from getting nothing on Friday, even Millwall probably should have got a point, we look the wobbly side out of the three.

It also doesn't help we play so many games now after Leeds and Sheffield play theirs. Farke's new contract, all our games being shown on Sky, you just know what happens next...