Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

McLean Jarvis and Oliveira

So with the team doing well and playing wonderfully as a team, with McLean and Jarvis coming back to fitness and Oliveira on the periphery (and possibly wont leave come January) `what do you do as Norwich manager?

On their day top class players, but do you bring them into the fold and risk upsetting your winning formula?

Is Pinto likely to be off in January? Have we given up on Franke?

Well you dont bring Oliviera back into the squad that's for sure. I can't see Jarvis being a viable option but you never know with football. Would like to see what McLean has to offer.

McLean will be involved I'm sure- gives us something a bit different in midfield.

It would be a shock if the other two got on the pitch.

It is certain that McLean has a future here, the other two are more questionable though...

Mclean is part of the squad and will come back in to the fold as and when. 

Jarvis will be injured again by christmas so not really a concern about what to do. In the unlikely event he manages not to get injured... Jarvis hasnt kicked a ball in two or 3 years in any meaningful sense. He wont be in the squad this season.

Nelson is finished here. I dont understand why people cant work that out. He will never play for City again, Webber and Farke have made that very clear so im baffled as to why hes even mentioned.

I’d still like to see Nelson given a chance - writing off a footballer on £30k a week just seems like madness to me. Think he has a lot to offer and could be excellent in this Norwich team that is brimming with confidence. 

Jarvis probably won’t feature much as I’m not sure he’d suit Norwich’s style that much. He is a traditional winger who likes to cross and that isn’t really something Farke does. 

McLean will be a regular in first team squads once he is fit. 

Why would you want to 'give him a chance' when we have 2 or 3 other strikers that actually fit how we're playing and are scoring when they play? Webber has spoken on multiple occasions about how he has spoken to the player, they've agreed that he needs to move on for the sake of his career. Pretty sure he'll be gone in January.

If Jarvis can make it through a few 23s games without getting injured, and if he can get anywhere near the level of a few years ago, then I don't see why he wouldn't get in the squad. Still pretty unlikely but he is English.

Think there is little doubt that Nelson is a better striker than Srbney, at his best Nelson is probably better than Rhodes also, although a very different type of player. 

Would be good to maximise the resources available to the team. 

I don’t think it is so certain he’ll move on this January. 

There is no coincidence that the first team squad has so much better spirit and togetherness now that Oliveira is no where near it.

• Like 3

That different sort of player thing is important. Nelson would run towards the ball to get involve where the others would try and stretch the opponent. Not what Farke wants in a striker, even without talking the player's attitude.

Only reason he won't leave in January is if we can't negotiate his wages away. He's a good striker so there will be interest.

We have a team challenging at the top of the championship.

We have a player who has a history of being a problem, has obviously been a problem or else he wouldn’t be training with the youngsters and who isn’t is as good as our 2 first choice strikers.

No matter what talent is in there somewhere, why on earth would we bring him back into the fold? And no, the amount of money he’s on (as crazy as it is) isn’t a good enough reason. Ignore him and get rid.

32 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Think there is little doubt that Nelson is a better striker than Srbney, at his best Nelson is probably better than Rhodes also, although a very different type of player. 

Think you usually talk a lot of sense Bethnal, but unless there’s injuries, you don’t change a winning formula.  Would be madness.  Particularly given the track record with his attitude.  He was left out of the pre-season tour for that reason.

I recall reading about Matt Jarvis being a tad disruptive back in the day himself. A bit of an ego before the injury problems properly bedded in. Seems to have flown under the radar. So there's only one outcome for somebody like that here now. I'm not suggesting he is still this way but he did have a rep for being "too big for clubs"

A simple Google search pulls up some examples:

Jarvis refuses new contract at Gillingham:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/g/gillingham/6155728.stm

Jarvis refuses new contract at Wolves:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2012/08/11/matt-jarvis-tells-wolves-he-wants-to-leave/

Only McLean will come in once fit and needed. Nelson will be off if some club offers the money we ask 4 him...

I would like to see McLean playing once fully fit,  he's a quality player. 

On 15/12/2018 at 15:16, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I have to agree with what others on here have said. Mostly because I've been saying it for AGES.

Nelson will never play for our first team again. The sooner people get this into their heads the better, as far as I can see. He has been known to be a disruptive influence, he and Farke certainly don't see eye to eye and I STILL haven't seen anything quite as crazy and disrespectful in football as what he did at Fulham at the start of last season. It was a joke.

We are told he trains well and is being very professional. That may be true. But, somewhere inside of me, I feel like that's just Webber spouting something to the media in the hope of someone giving us an offer for him. Unfortunately for Nelson, he made a rod for his own back and seems like this isn't the first time he'd done it at a club either. Never stayed anywhere for a particularly long time has he? In fact, he's had more games for us than at any other club he's been at yet he still treated the new coach with a huge amount of disrespect in Farke's FIRST competitive game for us. I would say we've been more than decent to him.

In the eyes of many, he will have made himself look like a petulant, half-assed plonker. Not great.

Edited by BobLoz3

Surely as a pro footballer he would train well and be professional whether he stays at Norwich or is in the shop window in order to get a move. Any club is unlikely to want an unfit player mid season. It is his livelihood to stay fit and competitive. I think you are reading too much negativity into this issue. We all know him Farke have fallen out and his personality does not fit the club ethos this season but half of the comments made are probably fiction.

Yes, that may be the case. A lot of smoke appears in these situations.

What is clear, though, is he won't be playing for us again. I don't know how many times it has to be said. I agree that the fact we're still paying him while he isn't playing is a bit ridiculous but we've been alright without him haven't we?

We just need to get him out of the door. It's a shame, under Irvine I think he really shone for a few games. But I feel as though he thinks he's better than he is.

Edited by BobLoz3

I agree that he won't play for us again, I would say that if he played in a team that was set up to accommodate his skills he is an excellent player possibly good enough to play in a top championship side or maybe a lower prem team. He doesn't suit or tactics or the club ethos so the sooner he goes the better for our club.

• Like 1